Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My square

Vehicles
      02 Jetta GLS, 00 GTI GLX, 69 Squareback
      08-24-2009 10:10 PM #26
      Today went according to plan. I love it when a plan works out. I got the front lowered, it didn't even take that long. About 3 hours total.
      The ride height I started out with.

Driver side already done.

Passenger side before I started.

Passenger side done.

New height.

A few full shots.

The rear looks lower than the front I got a bunch of junk in the rear, hopefully when I remove all the stuff it will even out.
      Tomorrow is the brakes. I still need to get one more wheel painted, I might be looking in to tires soon. I removed all the bump stops my upper ones were basically gone, I just pulled the lower ones off. I need shorter shocks, the one I have on there are bottoming out. It's a good thing I got under there and checked out my suspension. The lower shock nut was loose on the driver side and the upper shock was bolt loose on the passenger side. Loose enough the I didn't need a wrench. Also both of my lower ball joints had torn boots, they still had grease in them and not much play. I'll be adding that to my list of future work that needs to be done.
      I decided that I'm gonna use the correct relays, I was thinking about using modern ones since I can get them from my work. Original is the way I'm gonna go, someday when I restore the car to stock condition I would like to have these pieces. More to come.
      edit: And oh I ordered some parts I needed for the fuel injection.

Modified by grantndub at 7:13 PM 8-24-2009

2. 08-24-2009 11:17 PM #27
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] nice job man, looks way better lowered.
      can you turn the tires with out rubbing on the fender? looks close, maybe you need some 145/65's it will help bring the front down some also. keep it up
      DHP, bringing the Dry Heat or What?!

http://dhpvw.com/blog/

pinstripes by el Roy http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/El-...52145338182434

Vehicles
      08-25-2009 05:09 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by royragtop »
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] nice job man, looks way better lowered.
      can you turn the tires with out rubbing on the fender? looks close, maybe you need some 145/65's it will help bring the front down some also. keep it up

Thank you, royragtop. The work will continue, I want to drive the car soon. At the pace I'm working at it will probably about a month from now. My front tires aren't in the best of shape so I'll need so new ones soon. I haven't turned the wheel to see if it rubs, I don't have the steering wheel on the car right now.
      Next week the plan is to get all the fuel injection parts on to the engine. I'm pretty sure I won't get any work done after work this week, we are looking at 95+ degree weather for the next couple of days.
      Today went as planned. Got all the soft blue brake hoses from reservoir to master cylinder replaced. They looked nice until I got my grubby hands on them.

As long as I owned the car it has always has a soft pedal. I've done the brakes twice and both times I tried to bleed them. Yesterday while lowering it I realized why the pedal was always soft.

I corrected that problem.

The calipers were on the wrong side. I never noticed it, I guess you do get wiser with age. I bleed the brakes and they firmed up real quick. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Then I went to adjust my e-brake when the button assembly came apart. As I was putting it back together when I noticed the lever has a lot of play. I tug to one side or the other and the button would come apart. So I didn't bleed the rears, I just quit for the day.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-25-2009 07:14 PM #29
      I have sitting here in front of me a relay block with two relays. One five pin, one six pin.
      There look to be two part numbers on the relay block, "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129"
      If this is the part you need, squirt me $20 and whatever it costs to pop it in a box and get it to you and it's yours. You'll need to let me know how to go about testing it (been a long time since I messed with D-jet) and I'll gladly do that before you buy.
      I also have this odd looking metal bracket with four insulated tubes connected to a five-pin connector on a pigtail. VW # 022 906 079.
      What in the world does that do?

Modified by turbinepowered at 4:16 PM 8-25-2009
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      08-26-2009 09:43 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by turbinepowered »
      There look to be two part numbers on the relay block, "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129"
      VW # 022 906 079.
      What in the world does that do?

The research I've done is telling me that "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129" are not the correct relays I need. I'm gonna go with "311 906 061" the orginial relays for type 3 injection.
      I did some looking around on thesamba for 022 906 079 and found http://www.thesamba.com/vw/cla...73118 and http://www.thesamba.com/vw/cla...73131 looks like a rare piece (if original) that you might be able to get some $'s. It's fuel injection piece for bay windows and brand new ones can be bought for about $100.

Modified by grantndub at 6:45 AM 8-26-2009

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      08-26-2009 03:13 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by grantndub »
      The research I've done is telling me that "071 906 059" and "0 332 514 129" are not the correct relays I need. I'm gonna go with "311 906 061" the orginial relays for type 3 injection.

Hmmm, makes sense. I figured D-jet was D-jet, but I can see there being different versions, too.
      Sorry I can't help ya out, would have loved to have contributed (something!) to this project and the resurrection of a fuel injected T3!
      I'll clean up that other part and see what I can fetch for it.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      MK4 Reflex Silver Jetta 1.8T
      08-30-2009 03:26 PM #32
      its coming together
      Dub Shirts - Frame Notch , SLAM&POKE,Wheel Fitment , On the GRIND
      Even more Dub shirts - Take a LOOK!!!
      www.iDubber.com - "For the Enthusiast in You"
      Instagram:-------->@mk4jr (yep! Go ahead and follow that.)

Vehicles
      08-31-2009 01:57 PM #33
      No work today gotta do somethings around the house to keep the lady happy. So I'm gonna throw up some pics of what I did during the week in prep for my weekend.
      Intake runners in bad shape.

Some sanding to get the old paint and rust off.

Then new paint and a little vdub love.

Disassembled Throttle body and cleaned it.

Then put it back together.

I also took apart and cleaned my distributor but, I forgot to take pics. The vacuum advance wasn't moving, now it is. I need new points, cap, & rotor. Tomorrow I'll be removing my carbs and installing this stuff along with the injectors and fuel lines. The intake runners are gonna look too good next to my beat up engine tin, I almost want to pull the engine and do the tin. Almost, I wanna drive it for a couple of months and maybe pull the engine when the weather gets bad.

Vehicles
      09-01-2009 07:32 PM #34
      I'm starting feel like this thread is for my own enjoyment, it's alright because I do enjoy my handy work. Updating this thread is keeping me motivated, I wanna do work so I can post.
      Throttle body and intake runner are in.

Along with injectors on driver side.

Got my coil mounted and have spark plug wires ready to install. Need to get new plugs before that happens. Didn't install passenger side injectors due to missing rubber pieces. I bought those today and tomorrow will be installing passenger side and connecting all the fuel lines. Hopefully next week when I get the relays, I'll be ready to put some gas in it to see it there are any leaks and maybe try to start it.
      My air cleaner is just sitting there, my engine tin doesn't have a hole to screw it down. I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do about that. That's it for today.

Modified by grantndub at 4:34 PM 9-1-2009

Vehicles
      2014 S4
      09-03-2009 05:05 PM #35

LOL I have the same OEM parking brake as you
      BPC>>Dubs - I am not only a member, I am also your father

I wish I was a derivative so I could lay tangent to your curves

Vehicles
      09-04-2009 10:40 PM #36
      Got a bit more work done today all the fuel lines are hooked up. When I went to jack up the car to do the engine to body lines I found out my jack doesn't fit under the car anymore. Lucky my uncle was standing there and pulled up on the bumper just enough for me to get the jack under it.
      Quote, originally posted by GTI017 »
      LOL I have the same OEM parking brake as you
      It works But, I would like to have the e-brake actually working. From a previous post
      Quote, originally posted by grantndub »
      Then I went to adjust my e-brake when the button assembly came apart. As I was putting it back together when I noticed the lever has a lot of play. I tug to one side or the other and the button would come apart.

Well today I pulled the lever apart and found. A nice crack at the pivot point causeing the lever to have a lot of flex.

I'll take care of that tomorrow. My GTI needs some attention I realized the after run pump doesn't work all the time. Gonna try the diy on it it has 100,000 miles on it.

Vehicles
      09-05-2009 07:13 PM #37
      a quick pic to show what I did to fix the crack.

Vehicles
      09-15-2009 08:01 PM #38
      I didn't want anyone to think I abandoned my project because I haven't. I was out of town on vacation, so my second day back in town I got some work done. No pics because I did mostly wiring. I acquired a battery (it's used and from a friend) and only 1 of the 2 relays I need. I saw on the samba someone use a small cone filter instead of the stock air filter setup. I still would like to use the stock setup but, I'm unsure how to screw it down since my engine tin isn't threaded. Tomorrow, my last day of vacation, I'm gonna get the ecu in and all the wiring done. Then I might put some gas in it and turn the key, check for leaks and maybe turn it over.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 WJ
      09-15-2009 09:48 PM #39
      awesome work !!!!
      so glad to see life come back into that square
      i really do like the two tone, the tan would have been just as pimp!

Vehicles
      09-29-2009 06:53 PM #40
      More work the past couple of days but, I'm afraid I may have taken a step or two backwards. Got my e-brake handle in and a bleed the rear brakes. The brakes are good I was able to remove my blocks and the car didn't move. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] I had to remove the tin on the passenger side to install the head temp sensor, then I drilled a hole for the sensor to come through. Got it all wire up put a little gas in it, checked for fuel leaks. Then went to turn it over, it turned over real slow. I heard it almost catch then I heard a small pop. I didn't smell anything burning, check everything over or at least I thought everything. Then I went to turn it over again the was a clunk then the engine stopped moving. I was scared to what went wrong. I did noticed the my distributor had popped up, I didn't tighten the hold down.
      I couldn't get he distributor all the way down, the drive gear has moved up. I'm thinking that is my problem, I'm sure the engine timing is off and maybe the dizzy drive gear is in a position that's preventing the engine from turning over. Or at least that what I hoping.
      I didn't meet my end of the summer goal but, I'm not done with the car.

Vehicles
      04-24-2012 01:53 AM #41
      Bumping my old thread that I abandoned.

This thing has sat for far too long. We recently sold my wife's car and now we are down to 1 drive-able car. I need it on the road so I'm not stuck at home when the wife is away. Since I last worked on the car I acquired some Centerline Classics and a steering wheel from a friend off of a car that he was gonna scrap. At a swap meet a few months back I got a mechanical fuel pump and a 009 with a petronix installed.

From my last post I had an engine problem. I was able to pull out my distributor drive gear, inspect it, and re-install it. The engine turned over by hand when I turned the key it cranked very slowly. Suspecting the grounds I cleaned all of them and still it cranked very slow. I picked up a new starter which solved that problem. Then it wouldn't start, no fuel. I traced the problem to the fuel pump, it worked when I put it but it has been a couple of years. So I pulled all of the FI stuff and installed the dual carbs. I want to run the FI but I guess that will be a future project.

Now it runs it needs some tuning still. The jetting for the carbs are not close to what they should be.

I got the wheels before I lowered it the 205/50 rub, I need smaller tires especially for the rear. With the 205/50's it's too low for my taste. Yesterday did a bit of work raised the rear, replaced the shock, and brake hose. Only got one side done ran out of time. I also painted the inner fender to give it a more uniform look.

Previous height

Current height

I have a lot of things to do before it's road ready. I have an electrical problem that I need to trace down only the lights on the driver side work.
      Last edited by grantndub; 04-24-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta | '69 T3 Squareback
      04-25-2012 12:23 AM #42
      You're motivating me to get my '69 going again after sitting for a few years!

The motor sounds like it's missing pretty hard. All your spark plugs firing? How's the compression?

As for the lighting issue, you're saying that every single light on the passenger side is out? Check the bulbs first, then grounds.

Vehicles
      05-07-2012 03:13 PM #43
      Finally got some free time yesterday. Figured out my wiring issue a bad flasher relay was causing the problem now all my lights work. I didn't think it was running properly. I adjusted the valves then replaced the cap and rotor. It's running better but I don't think it's 100%. I may have to do a compression test to see where they stack up.

Vehicles
      05-10-2013 11:31 PM #44
      A month after my last post I moved 2 hours away. Last Sunday I went and picked it up now the work can resume.

Cranked it over a few time by hand noticed gas coming from the top of one of the carbs. Looked closely and found this.

So a carb rebuild happened. Lucky, I got plenty of spare parts and rebuild kits.

Went to adjust the valves and found this. The rod wasn't bent or anything so I put it back together. I guess I know why my carb was blown out.

Gave it a crank and it fired right up. How do you embed Youtube videos? I used the insert video and all I get is the link.
      http://youtu.be/CKs6Xc57JWI
      After I adjusted the timing and synced the carbs I got this.
      http://youtu.be/edhCwn4aVRc
      My alternator is toast the bearing was making a horrible noise, so I'll be going back to a generator I need to buy a voltage regulator. Then I got to sort out some wiring. And I also washed it.

I should have checked this thread for reference because I forgot what happened last. Next weeks project, front end gets a refresh.

20. Member
      05-11-2013 02:03 AM #45

Quote Originally Posted by grantndub View Post
      A month after my last post I moved 2 hours away. Last Sunday I went and picked it up now the work can resume.

Cranked it over a few time by hand noticed gas coming from the top of one of the carbs. Looked closely and found this.

So a carb rebuild happened. Lucky, I got plenty of spare parts and rebuild kits.

Went to adjust the valves and found this. The rod wasn't bent or anything so I put it back together. I guess I know why my carb was blown out.

Gave it a crank and it fired right up. How do you embed Youtube videos? I used the insert video and all I get is the link.
      http://youtu.be/CKs6Xc57JWI
      After I adjusted the timing and synced the carbs I got this.
      http://youtu.be/edhCwn4aVRc
      My alternator is toast the bearing was making a horrible noise, so I'll be going back to a generator I need to buy a voltage regulator. Then I got to sort out some wiring. And I also washed it.

I should have checked this thread for reference because I forgot what happened last. Next weeks project, front end gets a refresh.
      Dayo grant ,
      Try it this way

Copy the http..... @ the top of the YouTube page & then install it into the vid popup here instead of copying the URL from a Rclick of the vid itself .

Sounds like you've got a rod knock aside from the alternator noise,but it could also just be that valve rocker that you're showing is sticking

because there's no inboard shims there ,please read all of http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/...54272#msg54272 & watch the vids in it .

Vehicles
      05-11-2013 02:55 AM #46
      I didn't even notice it was missing. Now I'm gonna have to check them all. I can't remember if I was the last one who had those rockers apart or not. Rod knock? The noise in the last video to posted? I think that was the rocker coming loose but I didn't know it at the time. In the other 2 videos it isn't there right? Those are from this week and the other one is from last year. I'm currently running it without the alternator belt on because it makes that horrible of a noise.

22. Member
      05-11-2013 10:02 PM #47

I didn't even notice it was missing. Now I'm gonna have to check them all. I can't remember if I was the last one who had those rockers apart or not. Rod knock? The noise in the last video to posted? I think that was the rocker coming loose but I didn't know it at the time. In the other 2 videos it isn't there right? Those are from this week and the other one is from last year. I'm currently running it without the alternator belt on because it makes that horrible of a noise.
      Dayo grant ,
      That sharp slow tic-tic-tic noise in all the vids @ idle which follows tempo upwards with the engine revs sounds like a single rocker out of adjustment.
      The deeper background kinda grinding sound sounds like a rod knock because it's happening @ twice the speed of the tic(crank turns 2 times for every turn of the cam ).
      Please check this out http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineSounds.html ,it should help you to narrow down the source of both sounds .
      Why not just get a new matching good alternator in order to bypass all the rewiring & adding in of an external regulator? The hard work of converting it to a more beneficial alternator has already been done,just may need to tweak the belt alignment & length a little in order to not toast the replacement one .

Vehicles
      05-12-2013 02:53 AM #48
      I hear the knock it's faint but there. That kind of sucks, do you think if I changed the oil to 40 wt it may prolong it? I really can't afford a rebuild, it does have some miles at-least 8 years of being driven daily, so it probably could use one. I do have a buddy with a type 3 engine sitting on a shelf in his garage. I might have to look into it. I gotta search through my stuff and see if I have a washer for the rocker and readjust the valves.

The alternator deal was a diy hack I did years ago with a junkyard one. I cut off one of the ears and I would hate to do that to a new one and voiding the warranty. I looked into a rebuild kit for but my current best (cheapest) option is to use the generator. I gotta change some wiring only cost me my time and buy a regulator which is fairly cheap. We have only one working car right now and it would be nice to have a 2nd option. My wife and I both work part-time so I gotta spend in the right places.

Thank you buggyman. I've haven't messed an acvw in a long time. I'm basically relearning everything.

24. Member
      05-13-2013 09:58 PM #49

I hear the knock it's faint but there. That kind of sucks, do you think if I changed the oil to 40 wt it may prolong it? I really can't afford a rebuild, it does have some miles at-least 8 years of being driven daily, so it probably could use one. I do have a buddy with a type 3 engine sitting on a shelf in his garage. I might have to look into it. I gotta search through my stuff and see if I have a washer for the rocker and readjust the valves.

The alternator deal was a diy hack I did years ago with a junkyard one. I cut off one of the ears and I would hate to do that to a new one and voiding the warranty. I looked into a rebuild kit for but my current best (cheapest) option is to use the generator. I gotta change some wiring only cost me my time and buy a regulator which is fairly cheap. We have only one working car right now and it would be nice to have a 2nd option. My wife and I both work part-time so I gotta spend in the right places.

Thank you buggyman. I've haven't messed an acvw in a long time. I'm basically relearning everything.
      Dayo grant ,
      What are you running now? 30W ? ,if so try 20/50W ,probably not a solution but probably can't hurt to try,that's all I ever ran.
      On the alternator,think maybe another matching used one http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1264&bih=818
      on a better modified bracket setup http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1264&bih=818

Vehicles
      05-17-2013 11:07 PM #50
      Yeah, it has 30w and I'll probably switch to 20w50. I also decided that I'll keep the alternator setup after doing research on thesamba I found a solution that will be less of a hack. It shouldn't cost much more than a new regulator. I do prefer it and I plan on having some things that will add to electrical load.

I have been busy this week but I didn't get to the front end as planned. Nothing picture worthy just working out some wiring issues. I got mostly everything working need a new headlight. I even got the interior lights and door switches to work which never have. I was having a strange problem with my turn signals the tail lights would flash along with the turns both left and right no matter if I clicked left or right. This stumped my for almost a full day then I removed the bulbs to the front turns to find out they are single filament. Repaired the clock it worked then when I came out in the morning it wasn't, stopped at 2am I tried to fix it again but that didn't work. Still need figure out why I only got 1 license plate light hopefully just the bulb. So the wiring is about 90% done.

Next week I'll be on the hunt for some tires. Tires for the Centerlines maybe out of my budget right now and I might end up with stock steelies and some 165's. If I do run the steelies I'll need to get a 4th wheel and lug bolts for all 4.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast