VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

jetta sportwagen thread!!

1M views 4K replies 416 participants last post by  Fantasiamon 
#1 ·
so ive read through most of TCL wagon appreciation thread + mk4 wagon thread, and wanted to start one for the mk5 wagons; so post up anything related!
and if anybody knows of any new jsw mods (rear spoiler, TDI engine mods etc) post up!

Modified by bluetapedr3w at 10:43 AM 9-21-2009

Modified by bluetapedr3w at 8:35 PM 9-27-2009

See less See more
#278 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (AU_Bug)

yeah man, your car is comin along nicely http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
x2 on the wheel choice
Quote, originally posted by rootrider »

yes, Votex is offering a rear hatch spoiler that is more agressive and larger than the stock spoiler.. any vw dealer should be able to get it for you.

do you know approx. how much it costs? i wish the full votex kit wasn't so much

Modified by bluetapedr3w at 4:10 PM 9-19-2009

#279 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (bluetapedr3w)

Quote, originally posted by bluetapedr3w »
do you know approx. how much it costs? i wish the full votex kit wasn't so much

good question.. check out this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4126261
I asked him what the hatch spoiler would cost (painted) a little way down on the first page http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#281 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (danadeny)

Quote, originally posted by danadeny »

This is the Sharan (spelling? i think it might be OEM as well) stubby antenna. You can get it from ECS, oempl.us, parts4vws and such. No SAT / Nav, and i get about 80% of the stations i did before, the ones i dont get anymore were about 40 miles away in washington DC. Once i get out of baltimore city they tend to come back. I moved the basket way back because i thought it looked best with the lines of the wagon, but there is plenty of space to move the Thule bars or the basket itself forward and clear the antenna area. I dont think you will have a problem with Thule or Yakima bars since you can mount them anywhere front to back to give you the clearance you need.

I wonder if you wired the antenna to the Audi rack, you could get...Mars?

#282 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (rumcajs666)

Quote, originally posted by rumcajs666 »
can u take pics of your car???
im really interested how the jetta looks
without the roof rack, close pics please
and what did u use to close the bolt holes??
thx

The pic is not of my car, its from the thread that i posted a link to. You should be able to find the owner in that thread.

Modified by danadeny at 2:11 PM 9-21-2009

#285 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (danadeny)

Quote, originally posted by danadeny »

The pic is not of my car, its from the thread that i posted a link to. You should be able to find the owner in that thread.

Modified by danadeny at 2:11 PM 9-21-2009

Huh?? That wasn't yer JSW with the Audi rack or did I miss another part of the conversation?
I'm confused..........

#286 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (turbotwo28)

Quote, originally posted by turbotwo28 »

Huh?? That wasn't yer JSW with the Audi rack or did I miss another part of the conversation?
I'm confused..........

i have the audi basket.
The other guy asked about the picture towing the jet skis (not my car). If you look at the jet ski picture you will notice the user removed the roof rails on his JSW.

#287 ·

Anyone have water issues in their JSW?
Been raining heavily here on/off for about a week now.
Rear driver's side seat (bottom and seatback, but particularly the fixed rear side panel of that seat), and the floor board are all soaked.
Was at the dealer last week when I discovered it, they found nothing, said it was likely that I left the door slightly ajar (yeah, right).
Car was all but dried out last night...rained heavy last night, and yep, soaked again.

roofliner/pillars is dry on the front side (can't tell the backside though).
it really looks like the seat back is getting wet from the backside (as in the water is not splashing on the surface), but coming through as it gets saturated...the seat bottom is particularly wet on the side nearest the door.
The floor is soaked...the padding underneath sopping wet...the carpet might feel dry to the touch, but a little push, and voila, water.
Thoughts I have -
* sunroof drain is clogged; I've had this before in other cars, and the #1 symptom is a wet floor.
but, the wet seat has me stumped...

is the backside of the headliner plastic such that if water were overflowing the sunroof drain and getting behind the headliner, it could travel behind the liner and then reach the seat back (particularly that fixed piece) leaving the headliner dry?
Or, possibly a combo of issues - clogged sunroof + bad door seal...
Thoughts?
I'm heading back to the dealer with it today.

#289 ·
Huh, that sounds crazy.
BTW, I'll be in Nashville this weekend with my JSW. If I have a similar problem in the rain I'll let you know.

I was actually going to post this...
Does anyone think the road noise in the cabin is rather loud? I can hear the tires on the pavement especially on concrete and it is LOUD. The wind noise is loud as well.
I'm comparing against the Hyundai Elantra I drive for work and the BMW 325i I turned in for the JSW.

#290 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (blacksportwagen)

Quote, originally posted by blacksportwagen »
Anyone have water issues in their JSW?

Wow...sorry to hear about your water problem! I haven't had any problems with mine either...and we've seen some fairly heavy rain here, sometimes for a few days straight. If the dealer can't figure out what's going on, you might be able to test your theory by going through a car wash and trying to ID the souce (although admittedly may not be the best idea).
Quote, originally posted by darkcloud17 »
Does anyone think the road noise in the cabin is rather loud? I can hear the tires on the pavement especially on concrete and it is LOUD. The wind noise is loud as well

I haven't noticed too much wind noise, but I've noticed some fairly significant road noise when on concrete at high speeds. I'm wondering if its the tires, though...because when I'm on asphalt, it's damn near whisper quiet in the cabin.

#291 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (twinamac75)

I just realized my car wash idea was probably a bit vague/premature...one, you probably don't want to check your seals at an actual car wash. Try using a hose at your house, and spray water onto the top of your car for a few minutes. If water starts leaking through the cracks, then your seals are probably bad. (I'm assuming you've checked your sunroof drains to see if they're clogged...if not, I'd do that first. It's pretty simple, and VW is notorious for having drains that clog easily.)

#293 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (twinamac75)

Quote, originally posted by twinamac75 »
I haven't noticed too much wind noise, but I've noticed some fairly significant road noise when on concrete at high speeds. I'm wondering if its the tires, though...because when I'm on asphalt, it's damn near whisper quiet in the cabin.

yeah.. it's not wind noise. It's the road noise translated through the tires and echoing through the large interior. It's definitely a bit louder than other mk5's, though I drove a mk6 golf over 2000 miles a couple weeks ago and I can't say it was much quieter (but then I was driving 100+ mph most of the time).
The wagon is nearly silent on quiet pavement, and can be quite loud (for a new car) on older/worn concrete. I just switched from the factory tires to Falken ZE-912 tires, which I know some people have said are a lot quieter. They're a little quieter for me, but the road noise is still very noticeable at higher speeds (especially 70+ mph).
I would put the road noise down to a combination of the road surface, tires, and larger cabin (and the pano roof, if you have it (I do)).

Modified by rootrider at 12:46 PM 9-23-2009

#294 ·

Quick update on this...
after a lot of searching, the dealer found the apparent issue. They tracked the leaks to a gap around the rail of the pano roof...the water was slipping in there, travelling behind the headliner/side pillars and on down.
Went back to the dealer last night to take off my roof rack, and the svc mgr warned me not to get upset when I saw how disassembled it was...told him no worries, I wanted to see it...impressive how many parts VW stuffs into the interior...
ironically enough, 4 other VWs in the shop with water issues (no other JSWs though).
So hopefully the part arrives tomorrow, and I'll get the car back a few days after that and it'll stay dry. Just hoping the dealer gets it all dried out well and cleaned up (I've got the beige cloth seats, so there is some water staining) so I don't end up with a funk in the car.

#297 ·

Quote, originally posted by blacksportwagen »
Quick update on this...
after a lot of searching, the dealer found the apparent issue. They tracked the leaks to a gap around the rail of the pano roof...the water was slipping in there, travelling behind the headliner/side pillars and on down.

wow.. good luck. From what I've seen around the different forums this should be a one-off issue on the wagon.. hopefully.

#298 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (rootrider)

Quote, originally posted by rootrider »

yeah.. it's not wind noise. It's the road noise translated through the tires and echoing through the large interior. It's definitely a bit louder than other mk5's, though I drove a mk6 golf over 2000 miles a couple weeks ago and I can't say it was much quieter (but then I was driving 100+ mph most of the time).
The wagon is nearly silent on quiet pavement, and can be quite loud (for a new car) on older/worn concrete. I just switched from the factory tires to Falken ZE-912 tires, which I know some people have said are a lot quieter. They're a little quieter for me, but the road noise is still very noticeable at higher speeds (especially 70+ mph).
I would put the road noise down to a combination of the road surface, tires, and larger cabin (and the pano roof, if you have it (I do)).

Modified by rootrider at 12:46 PM 9-23-2009

Yep, with everything you said.
I pretty much chalked it up to the generous amount of glass all over the car
I guess it's just really loud when I think back to how quite my BMW was. Wind noise was minimal and tire noise was just enough to feel connected to the road.

#299 ·
Re: jetta sportwagen thread!! (darkcloud17)

Quote, originally posted by darkcloud17 »
I pretty much chalked it up to the generous amount of glass all over the car
I guess it's just really loud when I think back to how quite my BMW was. Wind noise was minimal and tire noise was just enough to feel connected to the road.

my 2.5l mk5 Rabbit (no sunroof) loaner that I drove for a day was a lot quieter, but I didn't check what tires it was running on. I will always have performance oriented tires on my car so I have to deal with having more noise. But I figure the smaller cabin with less glass & no sunroof made a big difference on the Rabbit when compared to my wagon.

#300 ·

The new front end. iphone pic quality for now. i am going for blacked out with accents of chrome. I know the honeycomb centers and the jetta lower side grills dont match, but i am feeling it out. Also going for a unique look with the GT sport badge.
Oh and the new Nav. Yes the top of the frame around the nav is pushed down a little. i will be taking the nav back out to trim the plastic in the dash that pushes the frame down. next project is the sub and amp install and backup camera install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.