VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Utah BMX/VW thread

33K views 325 replies 47 participants last post by  syncrogti 
#1 ·
Im starting a Utah BMX VW gang!! BMXers only!

I will cut you if you ride anything else!

Post up your rad bikes!!!

See less See more
#127 ·
Re: (mike_sarge)

Quote, originally posted by mike_sarge »
i have that same frame/stem in my garage. thing's a tank. good stuff

I know, just check out how big the rear dropouts are!! This is a perfect example of why this bike is still around and all the newer ones are folded in half after being ridden by a 13yr old! I have 2006 eastern jane and its the last year I'd trust to hold my 2.75 bills

#129 ·
Re: (uncle_scott)

S&M is doing a couple dirt frames with 3/8" drops, the cam wood and the holmes both come with 3/8" if you're not looking to spend all the $$ on custom. i think highland cycling stocks the cam wood, if not they can for sure get it
uncle_scott said:
FBM just announced they have 3/8" dropouts in house for their custom frame program, or to put on their new trails frame. This isn't really news worthy on a car blog, but I have to say, I am pumped to see a company putting 3/8" dropouts on production frames again. I have never ridden pegs, and have always had 3/8" axles with no problem...I am so stoked to get a custom frame!

#130 ·
I actually know Cam Wood and ride with him. I used to manage 5050 Bike and Skate in Layton, so I can get S&M stuff all day. I just like the idea of doing a custom frame. Not to mention the fact that every kid at the skatepark is on a Fit or S&M. It is always nice to ride something different, and spread the support for rider woned companies around a bit.

#133 ·
Those are sweet bikes!
As for custom geometry, I want a relaxed head tube long trails bike. 21" TT, with a 74.5 HT angle, and longer rear-end, probably in the 14" range. I want to run brakes on the chainstays, and 33/12 gearing at the largest.
My mk1 project keeps getting in the way of me buying parts for my bike, haha. Gotta get my priorities straight!

#135 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by uncle_scott »

My mk1 project keeps getting in the way of me buying parts for my bike, haha. Gotta get my priorities straight!

yeah, you do! i think it's funny that me & you have our priorities exactly opposite from each other....my car would be done if i could stay off my bike, you would have your FBM if you could stay away from the mk1

#137 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Vooduguru »
Hey how hard would it be to put together a BMX show for a VW GTG?

not too hard, you just organize a GTG at a skatepark & then tell all of us to bring our bikes

unless you wanna go all out & pay for the 5050 team to come out & do a demo...a couple of the 5050 team drive mk4's, & scott has a mk3, so 5050's got the bmx love http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif

#139 ·
I'll talk to Eddie at 5050, And see what it would cost for a ramp demo. Right now is a busy time for those guys because they follow a freestyle motocross group and do half-time shows. I'll let you know.

#147 ·
Thanks Eli, let's ride soon!! I got my motor for the mk1...let's fabricate, then go ride haha. I need to split my car/bike time more evenly anyway.

#149 ·
Stupid 8-5 job. I would love to ride my bike right now.

#150 ·
Re: (uncle_scott)

got some new parts!
Mutiny Lucky Strike 21.25 to replace my beat up and dented fit S3
some big chrome bars
used rear freecoaster wheel, khe street on a proper rim. thing is weird to ride, and i'm not pumped i have to take it apart to adjust the slack, but at least i didn't pay for it new! i'll probably get used to it pretty quick.
riding it today was interesting. it's way different than the last setup, but its fun, and i'm back to no brakes for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.