VWVortex

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Granite's 1982 Scirocco Update Thread

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-10-2009 07:23 PM #1
      This thread is a continuation of:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4510889

Well its official, I am back into a Scirocco. I just got back from purchasing the car and tomorrow it looks like my dad is towing me home if he keeps his word- was supposed to be today but plans changed for him
      Price: $100
      Mileage: 154742 Miles
      Engine: 1.7L

Here are a few photos:

I'm very happy with its body condition, for such an old Wisconsin car the rust is very minimal- the underbody has almost nothing for rust haha! I just hope I can get it running, I'm sure I can with good help from you guys!

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      08-10-2009 07:42 PM #2
      glad you decided to save this scirocco
      Quote Originally Posted by Racinger View Post
      VWs are known around the world to be some of the most dependable and long lasting vehicles. The "unreliable VW" is an American myth.
      78 Scirocco GTi, 80 Scirocco Storm RHD, 88 Scirocco GT 16v

54 MG TF 1250 RHD

Vehicles
      1980 VW Scirocco
      08-10-2009 08:03 PM #3
      Awesome! Nice to see another upper mid-west member come aboard! Do keep us updated.

4. 08-10-2009 08:19 PM #4
      That thing looks sweet

08-10-2009 08:20 PM #5
      Nice Score!!! Love that interior Color.
      BBS

Vehicles
      Scirocco, Scirocco Passat
      08-10-2009 08:30 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by german old school »
      Nice Score!!! Love that interior Color.

X 2. And that great looking 2 piece rear parcel shelf!

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-10-2009 08:40 PM #7
      Thanks guys, I hope to have her cleaned up and running soon, all depending on my free time and money of course haha

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      08-11-2009 12:10 AM #8
      Nice! I love the interior and the 2 piece parcel shelf!!!!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      a few Sciroccos & a MG
      08-11-2009 12:18 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Iroczgirl »
      Nice! I love the interior and the 2 piece parcel shelf!!!!

the first mk2 scirocco I drove was an 82 in Cosmos Metallic LK5Y with the same blue interior

Quote Originally Posted by Racinger View Post
      VWs are known around the world to be some of the most dependable and long lasting vehicles. The "unreliable VW" is an American myth.
      78 Scirocco GTi, 80 Scirocco Storm RHD, 88 Scirocco GT 16v

54 MG TF 1250 RHD

10. 08-11-2009 12:46 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by California 16v »
      glad you decided to save this scirocco

x2..
      and with a blue interior in good condition...very rare....nice find...

and you know what?,I have a soft spot for white raised lettering on tires...even tho' there probably shot....I like them....would be refreshing to see someone put the letterring white-side out....
      how old school can you get?

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-11-2009 01:00 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Rocc__On »

x2..
      and with a blue interior in good condition...very rare....nice find...

and you know what?,I have a soft spot for white raised lettering on tires...even tho' there probably shot....I like them....would be refreshing to see someone put the letterring white-side out....
      how old school can you get?

Thanks, I wasn't too sure on the blue interior because im used to the black interior of my old 84, but after looking at it a bit more it has grown on me. I'm excited to see what the interior will look like after a good cleaning!

As far as the tires yea the white lettering does look very oldschool facing outward.... but the tires on the car are shot, I had to pump up the 2 on the passenger side today by hand- hopefully they will still have air in them when my dad tows me home tomorrow in it lol.

I'm not really worried about anything I have to spend $ on the car other then what it takes to get it running, that is my first priority. After its up and going I hope to find a good set of rims, Id like to also get a G60 valve cover for it (I believe they fit on most of the 8v engines right??)

Modified by Granitethewolf at 11:02 PM 8-10-2009

12. 08-11-2009 01:13 AM #12
      '82's are a good find all around...in this condition...very nice...
      I believe the G cover will fit but we'll let other's answer that one as I've never swapped myself so I truely can't say...if your going to be going over the car changing out the fluids and gaskets anyway....why not.....not on this kids list of priorities but to each they're own...if it gives you inspiration then it's a good starting point.....

Congrat's on a great find...

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-11-2009 09:13 PM #13
      Just a small update, today I just replaced the old battery with a new one and played around with the car a bit more as well as got a few more pictures.
      I'm a bit mad to find out that the radio harness is butchered but oh well... Also for the life of me I could NOT hear the fuel pump running! I cranked on it a bit and I can smell the stale gas odor from somewhere.... I dunno where though. I'm guessing you can change the fuel pump from underneath the passenger seat in the rear? I looked under it and I saw a circular plate that looks like an access cover to the fuel pump!

Anyway heres some more pics:

Engine- Pretty clean for 152K miles if you dont pay any attention to the cobwebs on it lol.

Rear hatch shots:

And a rough shot of the under body, quite clean ^^

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      08-11-2009 10:26 PM #14
      Very nice deal on a vintage Scirocco

The only thing under the back seat is the fuel sending unit for your fuel gauge. The fuel pump is just behind the back right wheel, just below the fuel cap. It is located inside a metal clam shell that has two bolts holding it to the body. You need a Bentley. It has pics and diagrams, test procedures, etc. Before pulling the fuel pump, you need to by-pass the fuel pump relay and see if the pump works, again get a Bentley, it will save you lots of money and time.

Two broken Sciroccos is one too many.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-11-2009 10:29 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by xenergy_one »
      Very nice deal on a vintage Scirocco

The only thing under the back seat is the fuel sending unit for your fuel gauge. The fuel pump is just behind the back right wheel, just below the fuel cap. It is located inside a metal clam shell that has two bolts holding it to the body. You need a Bentley. It has pics and diagrams, test procedures, etc. Before pulling the fuel pump, you need to by-pass the fuel pump relay and see if the pump works, again get a Bentley, it will save you lots of money and time.

I have a Chilton repair guide, let me see if that could tell me what to do as well.- Well it tells the location of it but no nice diagrams or anything....

Modified by Granitethewolf at 9:41 PM 8-11-2009

Vehicles
      82 Callaway Turbo Scirocco #17, 03 GTI 1.8T GT2871R, 76 BMW 2002, 01 YZF 600R, 08 R32
      08-11-2009 11:43 PM #16
      I am sooooo jealous. I wish my 82's underside looked that nice.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-12-2009 12:24 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Corrado1900T »
      I am sooooo jealous. I wish my 82's underside looked that nice.

Thanks I just hope I can get her running well without too much blood 'n cash... After shes up and driving and I got all the engine maintenance crap done I cant wait to start adding little perks to make it look better and be more fun to drive....I just have a feeling its going to be a blast to drive as soon as its running lol.

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      08-12-2009 06:18 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Granitethewolf »

I have a Chilton repair guide, let me see if that could tell me what to do as well.- Well it tells the location of it but no nice diagrams or anything....

Modified by Granitethewolf at 9:41 PM 8-11-2009

I resurrected my 81' after it had been sitting for a few years. The 81' and the 82' have the exact same engine.
      Before I tried to fix the fuel pump, I would disconnect the negative battery cable, find the hose coming from the tank to the pump, and drain the remaining fuel. If it has been sitting for four years, you may find it to be rusty and full of water from condensation. Rust can kill your fuel pump and damage your fuel injection system.

After you are sure there is no rust being fed into the rest of the system, you can change out your fuel filter($15) and start trying to get the fuel pump working.

Correction, the fuel pump is if front of the right rear wheel. Here is a pic.

Modified by xenergy_one at 3:26 AM 8-12-2009

Vehicles
      1985 and 1988 Scirocco 8 & 16vs, 1992 Cabriolet AT
      08-12-2009 06:24 AM #19
      nice looking 1982 - I have the exact same car, bought in Apr of '08 from the original owner in Long Beach, CA.

if you entertain switching your interior ... I'd be interested in your door cards (front) sadly, your dash looks about like mine No no Cracky Wacky

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-12-2009 08:25 AM #20

I resurrected my 81' after it had been sitting for a few years. The 81' and the 82' have the exact same engine.
      Before I tried to fix the fuel pump, I would disconnect the negative battery cable, find the hose coming from the tank to the pump, and drain the remaining fuel. If it has been sitting for four years, you may find it to be rusty and full of water from condensation. Rust can kill your fuel pump and damage your fuel injection system.

After you are sure there is no rust being fed into the rest of the system, you can change out your fuel filter($15) and start trying to get the fuel pump working.

I believe the guy ran the car almost out of gas completely- the gas gauge doesn't even get a reading of what is in the tank lol. To flush the tank out would I just remove that outlet hose to the fuel pump and just dump gas into it and let it all drain out?

Thanks for the picture, always makes things easier!
      And the fuel pump... is it easy to change out? Looks like its just got a cover on it? Also is it the In-Line type or In-Tank type of fuel pump? I'm guessing it would be the in-line style like this:
      http://www.napaonline.com/NOLP...25004 Right? Also I go with napa for auto parts because I get a discount.

Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      08-12-2009 09:10 AM #21
      Also I go with napa for auto parts because I get a discount.

That can be hit or miss, depending on what items you buy from them. For the fuel pump, I'd suggest going with a decent quality unit. May I suggest http://www.parts4vws.com. Outstanding folks to deal with and fellow Scirocco owners as well.

It is *imperative* that you do everything you can to flush out the old fuel / any rust & contaminents, or face a lot of frustration and expense trying to repair the fuel injection system.

And as others have said, buy a Bentley manual. The Chilton's is one step above a wheel-chock - just enough to get you into real trouble. (The Haynes *is* a wheel chock.)

Welcome!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (boring), 84 GTI (kinda running), 91 318is (yeah baby)
      08-12-2009 09:57 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by vwdaun »

May I suggest http://www.parts4vws.com. Outstanding folks to deal with and fellow Scirocco owners as well.

Welcome!

What Dan said...I just spoke to Mike at parts4vws last night. I have the same issue (old car that sat for many years). His prices are very good and he is a Scirocco old schooler.

Great find BTW

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      08-12-2009 02:38 PM #23

I believe the guy ran the car almost out of gas completely- the gas gauge doesn't even get a reading of what is in the tank lol. To flush the tank out would I just remove that outlet hose to the fuel pump and just dump gas into it and let it all drain out?

Thanks for the picture, always makes things easier!
      And the fuel pump... is it easy to change out? Looks like its just got a cover on it? Also is it the In-Line type or In-Tank type of fuel pump? I'm guessing it would be the in-line style like this:
      http://www.napaonline.com/NOLP...25004 Right? Also I go with napa for auto parts because I get a discount.

The white arrow in my picture points to the tank side of the hose. This is where you can break the line loose and let the gas drain out. Flushing some clean gas through makes sense. The fuel pump is external and fairly easy to replace, but I wouldn't yank it until all testing has been exhausted. A new pump is about $130 or so. I recommend a Bosch pump and not an aftermarket replacement.

Your connection at napa will be very helpful for some things, the best way to save lot of cash on vw parts is by mail ordering them.
      http://www.parts4vws.com
      http://www.germanautoparts.com
      http://www.autohausaz.com

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-12-2009 08:58 PM #24
      Thanks for all the great info everyone! Well I finally got her home today and I spent almost an hour with the shop vac cleaning the **** out of it from sitting outside LOL Now shes happy in my garage:

Now, First of all I had my dad listen for me if the fuel pump was working and well....it isnt as far as we can hear, even if it is dry and out of gas you should be able to hear the pump still id guess?? I checked the fuse panel and all looks good as far as i can tell with the fuses but I'm not sure if the relay is working- hell the fuel pump might even be shot lol.

The relay for the fuel pump is the one with the clear fusebox on it and it has a 16 amp fuse inside of it correct? I also am curious what that floating relay spot is in the top left

Vehicles
      1983 Wolfsburg Scirocco [Luna], '70 GMC Pickup, '76 Mustang Cobra II, '92 SVX, '95 Millenia
      08-12-2009 10:32 PM #25
      You actually don't have a fuel pump relay.

The L socket (with the pigtail plugged into it) is your fuel pump relay. See here for more info on that.
      So you'll need to plug a fuel pump relay into that socket. You can also use your horn relay as a test fuel pump relay.

Please make sure the tank has been flush before you run that pump though.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-12-2009 10:46 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by Rannoch »
      You actually don't have a fuel pump relay.

The L socket (with the pigtail plugged into it) is your fuel pump relay. See here for more info on that.
      So you'll need to plug a fuel pump relay into that socket. You can also use your horn relay as a test fuel pump relay.

Please make sure the tank has been flush before you run that pump though.

So that extra floating socket I have on the top of my fuse panel is for the main relay? I kinda understand...but what is my fuel pump relay plugged into right now then? I am just a bit confused.

Vehicles
      1983 Wolfsburg Scirocco [Luna], '70 GMC Pickup, '76 Mustang Cobra II, '92 SVX, '95 Millenia
      08-12-2009 10:50 PM #27
      You aren't getting any noise from the pump at all, correct?

I'm assuming the pigtail that's plugged into socket L also runs up to that floating socket.
      So right now you don't have a fuel pump relay at all.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-12-2009 10:54 PM #28
      Yeah my fuel pump doesn't seem to turn on at all weather i try and start the engine or not. My horn doesn't work either by the way.
      Also where in the world do i get those smaller fuses from that run from slots 1 through 15?

Modified by Granitethewolf at 8:59 PM 8-12-2009

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      08-13-2009 12:17 AM #29
      Yeah my fuel pump doesn't seem to turn on at all weather i try and start the engine or not. My horn doesn't work either by the way.
      Also where in the world do i get those smaller fuses from that run from slots 1 through 15?

Modified by Granitethewolf at 8:59 PM 8-12-2009

Those fuses are not impossible to find locally but you can just mail order them from any of the above mentioned vw sites.
      Your horn is most likely not grounded very well.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-13-2009 08:13 AM #30

Those fuses are not impossible to find locally but you can just mail order them from any of the above mentioned vw sites.
      Your horn is most likely not grounded very well.

Ah, I just mentioned the horn because it was mentioned that u can use the horn relay to test the fuel pump.

Anyway today I plan to drain whatever fuel is in the tank and then I'm going to run a fresh gallon or 2 of gas through it and drain that as well to flush the tank.
      I just want to know- to get my fuel pump running would I move the relay above socket L to the empty socket hanging freely on the top of my fuse panel? (I'm guessing the relay above socket L is the fuel pump relay right?)

Someone should almost take the picture I took and label each relay/fuse for everyone that has an 82'

Vehicles
      82 Scirocco~Rodolfo~85 Vanagon~El Guapo~
      08-13-2009 11:04 AM #31

Someone should almost take the picture I took and label each relay/fuse for everyone that has an 82'

I am following your progresss with interest, BTW someone already label all these:l Robert Bentley. I suggest you get at least a used copy of the Bentley for these year scirocco. I have two one for the garage and the bedside copy. Owning an 82, that bood has come in handy more than the Chiltons could have ever helped me. Take it slow and you will get a lot of joy from ressurecting this car

El t

Wanted:Cirrus gray PS fender for S2 (one can dream) 1) Check your stash 2)Let me know
      WTB CHEAP Mk3 ABA manual Starter also WTB@h20i Mk1 strut tower mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Mtl-Marc View Post
      The engine does not need oil, it runs on awesomeness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber View Post
      And coyotes are actually pretty cool to get along with if you don't mess with 'em.

Vehicles
      08-13-2009 01:09 PM #32
      This is one place where I can't help. The Bentley manual would come in very handy here. Check your local library and their ILL services, that's where I got mine until I could afford one.

My '83 uses a newer style unfused relay.
      I'd recommend just jumpering the relay socket. Jumper pins 30 and 87 together and you should be good there but don't do this until you flush the gas through the tank.

Wish you were local. I'd help you out with this. I did the same thing with my '83 when I first got it non-running.

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      08-13-2009 03:52 PM #33

(I'm guessing the relay above socket L is the fuel pump relay right?)

I can't say for sure where your fuel pump relay is. I read the post about it and still don't know. My guess is that socket L is where it would be but your car has a special setup with a pig tail being plugged into socket L. I think you need to find the horn relay and plug in in place of the pig tail (in socket L) to test your pump. Someone who really knows about this should chime in here.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-13-2009 09:20 PM #34
      Today I did what I could, I managed to get the hose off the bottom of the tank that leads to the fuel pump with a vice grip because the screw on the rusted hose clamp stripped out on me I'll just pick up a new hose clamp at work.

Anyway I drained the tank and man did that gas smell bad! There was about a littler over a gallon of gas in it I would say and as it ran lower & lower the gas got browner and browner...it got difficult to see the bottom of my oil pan I drained it into
      Sadly I didn't get a chance to get any fresh gas in to flush the tank because the spout on my new gas can isnt long enough to push in the safety flap for the gas to drain into the tank, so ill have to pick up a funnel.

When i took off the gas cap the tank vented quite loudly from not being opened for so long, a good sign that the tank has a good seal I believe!

Today I also transferred the title & put some license plates on the car

I wont have time to work on the car this weekend, but Monday I plan to finish flushing the gas tank and then I'm going to try and get the fuel pump going, if anyone could help me here would you be able to mark the 2 terminals in the picture of my fuse panel I need to jump to force the fuel pump to run? Would save me a lot of time of looking.

Thanks everyone for the help and feedback, I cant wait to get this girl runnin!

Icky old gas ><:

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      08-16-2009 01:02 PM #35
      Bump! Well, could anyone show me what 2 terminals to jump in my fuse panel to force my fuel pump to run? I also have a multimeter to check & see if the fuel pump IS getting juice and just shot as well.

I do have the $ for a Bentley manual...but the problem is I am in the process of moving the next few weeks- so I dont wana order one til I'm settled in lol.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast