Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Granite's 1982 Scirocco Update Thread

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-01-2009 07:07 PM #106
      Quote, originally posted by IM16Vlvn »
      When replacing Injector seals, pay special attention to the valve.

What do you mean by valve, you mean what atomizes the fuel at the tip of the injector?

Anyway, well, I'm back online! Got everything moved in and today the internet/phone is back up!

Not much good news....one of my brake lines blew on my DD Mercury Sable after I let a room mate use it who is a bit rough on brakes....dammit Now tomorrow morning I gotta limp that to a shop to get fixed...

Only updates I got is my spark plug wires came in for the rocco and I also picked up a universal oil pressure gauge- I hope it will work lol.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-01-2009 11:02 PM #107
      Well, all this worrying about oil pressure ive been doing has been nothing but a waste of time, I hooked up my universal oil pressure gauge and everything appears to be right!
      Cold PSI- ~85 +/-5, maxes out my pressure gauge at 100psi when revved
      Warm PSI- ~35ish-50psi, and when revved over 3Kish it will max out my 100psi gauge.

A little video proof, the engine wasn't fully warmed up at the time but it was a little warm.

My only question remaining about this oil pressure warning system issue is there any way to fix it?? Or does anyone know at the very least where the oil buzzer is located so I can cut the noizy thing off? The blinking oil light doesn't bother me.

I didnt get a chance to put in my new spark plug wires but ill do that tomorrow, oh and I also ordered my new fuel injector insulators today!

I also drove my DD mercury sable around the block with its blown brake line, oddly once i get past all the air to a certain point it still is able to stop the car decently if i go slow, it must have some kind of sealed off brake line or something, hell if I know its a ford lol.

Last edited by Granitethewolf; 12-21-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-02-2009 05:15 AM #108
      Quote, originally posted by Granitethewolf »
      Well, all this worrying about oil pressure ive been doing has been nothing but a waste of time, I hooked up my universal oil pressure gauge and everything appears to be right!
      Cold PSI- ~85 +/-5, maxes out my pressure gauge at 100psi when revved
      Warm PSI- ~35ish-50psi, and when revved over 3Kish it will max out my 100psi gauge.

I think 100psi is normal when cold. At least you have the peace of mind knowing your pressure is good. I need to get a gauge for both my cars.

Two broken Sciroccos is one too many.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-02-2009 08:48 AM #109
      Its worth the ~$20 investment for a oil pressure gauge even if your not going to actually install it in the car- I just used mine to check my cold & warm pressure then I put my oil pressure sender switch back on.

Now all i want to do is to get rid of that damn annoying buzzer that goes on with the oil light, does anyone know how to do it?

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-02-2009 09:55 PM #110
      Not much of an update, changed out my spark plug wires (wow the wire going to the coil was a bitch to change but I managed to get it after removing a few things), cleaned all of my windows again and I attempted to remove some of the dirt crap from my paint by scrubbing- lets just say I would have been scrubbing for days..... So I tried a little experiment with my dremel & a polishing pad which worked great just it burned out the little pad fast lol.
      I'll have to grab a car polisher and some buffing pads, buff that **** out of the paint lol.

Vehicles
      B5 A4 MK4 Jetta
      09-02-2009 10:38 PM #111

What do you mean by valve, you mean what atomizes the fuel at the tip of the injector?

Yep. Be careful not to pull the shroud off the end. It'll go back in w/o them but it's not a very tight fit at the end. When I pulled mine two of the tips came off. Even with the injector puller it still ended up being quite a violent procedure. Check for grease, gunk oil what not. I soaked mine in some Sea Foam over night asa CYA measure.

Vehicles
      Multiple Sciroccos and a Jetta Wagon
      09-03-2009 12:31 AM #112
      Now all i want to do is to get rid of that damn annoying buzzer that goes on with the oil light, does anyone know how to do it?

It probably *is* the oil pressure warning circuitry in the instrument cluster. It's an "L" shaped board behind the tach IIRC. It will require some very careful disassembly to replace. Not difficult, but very tedious.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-03-2009 09:53 PM #113
      Didn't do anything today beside take the rocco for a little joy ride Also i talked to a friend with a plymouth horizon that is a mechanic and I found out he wants the oem rims that are on my rocco. I told him i would trade him straight up if he could get me a decent looking set of BMW style rims (BBS, Borbet, etc) Dunno what you guys would think of that but I like the idea of having some better rims on her.

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-03-2009 11:12 PM #114
      Didn't do anything today beside take the rocco for a little joy ride Also i talked to a friend with a plymouth horizon that is a mechanic and I found out he wants the oem rims that are on my rocco. I told him i would trade him straight up if he could get me a decent looking set of BMW style rims (BBS, Borbet, etc) Dunno what you guys would think of that but I like the idea of having some better rims on her.

I like to keep things stock. I would say hold on to the original rims even if you get better ones. They really aren't worth much but to a buyer down the road they might make a difference. Just my thoughts.

Vehicles
      95 540i/6, 95 Cabrio VR6, 79 Scirocco 16v
      09-04-2009 12:47 AM #115
      I say get new tires with white lettering, really diggin that look.
      Friends don't let friends say "Em kay"

"Prius buyers are required to suck at life"

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-04-2009 08:46 AM #116
      Quote, originally posted by baupfhor »
      I say get new tires with white lettering, really diggin that look.

I'll have to see what kind of bmw rims the guy can come up with, I mean hell i could put tires on them that have white lettering on the outside too

I'm going to be gone for the 3 day weekend (Wheee, off labor day Monday ) and next week I'm going to attempt to get the paint cleaned up as much as I can with some dawn dish soap and lots of water and scrubbing XD After that I'm going to take a buffer to it to finish the job.

Vehicles
      95 540i/6, 95 Cabrio VR6, 79 Scirocco 16v
      09-04-2009 03:03 PM #117
      If he can come up with a set of 15s from a 325iX then that would be hot

Friends don't let friends say "Em kay"

"Prius buyers are required to suck at life"

09-04-2009 09:21 PM #118
      hey im junking an 82 with a bunch of new parts so if you need anything send me a pm....most stuff cheap or free

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-08-2009 06:51 PM #119
      Quote, originally posted by chemicalbro13 »
      hey im junking an 82 with a bunch of new parts so if you need anything send me a pm....most stuff cheap or free

I wouldn't mind having a spare ecu, otherwise the only other things I could use are some extra good spraying fuel injectors.

Arg, drove the scirocco to work today, and on the way home I feel bad- I dunno how the hell i missed 3rd 3 times all at once, grinded twice and went into 1st once. Was perfectly fine the rest of the drive. Guess I wasn't paying attention and was just pushing a bit to the left while shifting up

On a good note I got my new hatch struts in today

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-08-2009 07:23 PM #120

Arg, drove the scirocco to work today, and on the way home I feel bad- I dunno how the hell i missed 3rd 3 times all at once, grinded twice and went into 1st once.

Unless it's been done, your shift linkage could probably stand to be refreshed. It's very easy and cheap.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-08-2009 10:42 PM #121
      Quote, originally posted by xenergy_one »

Unless it's been done, your shift linkage could probably stand to be refreshed. It's very easy and cheap.

The guy I bought it from said some (not all) of the shift linkage has been replaced already. The suspension has been completely rebuilt too

Well I swapped in the new hatch lid struts, its so nice not to have to hold that open any more XD. I also bought a nice big bottle of Dawn dish soap to wash the crud off the car as best as I can before I buy a buffer to buff the dirt out and polish.

EDIT- I also need to ask before I forget- On the injector insulators when i put the new ones in is there any type of sealant (such as Loctite) I need to put on the threads of the plastic insulators before I screw them in?

Modified by Granitethewolf at 8:46 PM 9-8-2009

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-09-2009 12:01 AM #122

EDIT- I also need to ask before I forget- On the injector insulators when i put the new ones in is there any type of sealant (such as Loctite) I need to put on the threads of the plastic insulators before I screw them in?
      Modified by Granitethewolf at 8:46 PM 9-8-2009

They don't need any sealant.

Vehicles
      09-09-2009 09:52 AM #123
      Quote, originally posted by chemicalbro13 »

I would recommend picking up the instrument cluster as a spare.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-09-2009 11:29 PM #124
      Well today I drove the scirocco a lot, I drove it to work and back and i also drove it for a 30 minute round trip on the highway up north to my parent's place and it made it okay

Today my injector insulators came in and while at my parents house I washed the car using dawn dish soap- Worked pretty well!

Next up is to put in the new injector insulators and injector seals.

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-10-2009 01:41 AM #125
      Looks like $100 worth of Scirocco to me.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-10-2009 11:30 PM #126
      Looks like $100 worth of Scirocco to me.

Sure is

Today I put in $10 worth of Premium octane fuel in and it seems actually to help the car run slightly better, and I also put 2 new pioneer 4x6 speakers in the hatch....sounds MUCH better, not much more bass at all tho lol.

Today I drove the car again on a 30 min highway trip to my parents place like yesterday and back- no problems as far as it being reliable for me just need to get it running good

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-11-2009 12:27 AM #127

Sure is

Today I put in $10 worth of Premium octane fuel in and it seems actually to help the car run slightly better, and I also put 2 new pioneer 4x6 speakers in the hatch....sounds MUCH better, not much more bass at all tho lol.

Today I drove the car again on a 30 min highway trip to my parents place like yesterday and back- no problems as far as it being reliable for me just need to get it running good

It's good news that you are getting around problem free.
      I took my 88' into Nashville and back yesterday. It was the first time I dared to go more than about 10 miles from home. It's a good feeling to get some use out it after doing so much work to make it road worthy. It did reveal that I need an alignment and new tires though.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-11-2009 12:35 AM #128

It's good news that you are getting around problem free.
      I took my 88' into Nashville and back yesterday. It was the first time I dared to go more than about 10 miles from home. It's a good feeling to get some use out it after doing so much work to make it road worthy. It did reveal that I need an alignment and new tires though.

I wouldn't quite say problem free- the car still hesitates and misses when cruising on the highway although it holds its speed reliably.
      As far as alignment issues on my Scirocco- Nadda.... My rocco pulls almost as straight as an arrow despite having tires that are shot to hell!

Ya, it does feel great to get some use out of the car, seems weird thinking that it was about to be scrapped & here I am driving it all over

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-11-2009 03:18 AM #129

I wouldn't quite say problem free- the car still hesitates and misses when cruising on the highway although it holds its speed reliably.
      As far as alignment issues on my Scirocco- Nadda.... My rocco pulls almost as straight as an arrow despite having tires that are shot to hell!

Ya, it does feel great to get some use out of the car, seems weird thinking that it was about to be scrapped & here I am driving it all over

My 81' ran pretty bad before I replaced the injector seals. I bet you will notice a big difference.
      It is very ironic that your scirocco was just a couple hundred bucks away from being a decent running car. People give up on them because they just don't know how to fix them.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S (sold), 93 Swedish Brick Sedan (boring), 84 GTI (kinda running), 91 318is (yeah baby)
      09-11-2009 06:50 AM #130

My 81' ran pretty bad before I replaced the injector seals. I bet you will notice a big difference.
      It is very ironic that your scirocco was just a couple hundred bucks away from being a decent running car. People give up on them because they just don't know how to fix them.

Agreed. I think mine was parked about 16 years ago because of a bad fuel pump relay and timing being off

Granite the car is looking good. Now all you need is to lower it a bit and get some old school 205-60-13 tires (keep the raised letters). Tarantula wheels look awesome, especially with the black lug bolt covers.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-12-2009 07:06 PM #131
      Damn...things might slow down a bit for the scirocco as far as replacing any expensive parts.

I had a tire replaced on my DD 91 mercury sable that only has 55K miles on it. They discovered my front outer tie rods are shot to hell and what I thought was blown struts clunking in the rear ended up being broken coil springs Expensive ****. I gotta get back into an Accord DD

Modified by Granitethewolf at 5:45 PM 9-12-2009

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-12-2009 08:43 PM #132
      I tend to view all my expenses as money that could have been spent on my Scirocco's

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-14-2009 10:38 PM #133
      Wow.... I am blown away by my results after changing these out-

It idles a LOT smoother and cruises along without hardly any hesitation after doing this injector seal job, the old injector seals were almost like little circular rocks and didn't seal for ****! I also got every single injector insulator out of the car without much trouble really!

I'm very pleased to say the least, In the process of changing the injector seals/insulators I did find a couple vac lines that are super squishy and stretchy- just shot.

All 'n all, quite a good day

Vehicles
      81 8v - 2 x 88 16v's
      09-14-2009 11:28 PM #134
      I also got every single injector insulator out of the car without much trouble really.

Nice work.

Vehicles
      09-15-2009 08:55 AM #135
      Excellent news!

BTW, check for recalls on the broken coil spring.... friend of mine has a Taurus and that is a known issue - IIRC Ford picked up the tab.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-15-2009 08:48 PM #136
      Well, changing the injector seals did obviously help a lot but the car still has its shudder/shakes while on the highway, it mostly does it when accelerating lightly, but otherwise it smoothed out a lot.

My question is what is next? What parts should I look to next to get her to run smoother when im 1/2 throttleish?
      My plans were to:
      -Check all the vac lines- I already know a couple tubes that look like they need to be changed. Is there such a thing as a complete hose kit to replace all the vac hoses in the engine?
      -Check IACV
      -Check cold start valve.
      -Continuing to drive the car! Ive noticed the more & more that I drive it the more it "wakes" up....I cant forget that she has been neglected for 5 years in a back alley....

Thanks everyone for all the help and support, I really love this car.... I even have plans to get it repainted after I get it running perfect but im not going to say what color, all i can say is its goona be sexy But thats a ways off too haha.

Edit- I just got back from figuring out the radio wires, I finally got them all set up right and it sounds like a got a small subwoofer now haha. I still cant get my front right speaker to work, I tested the speaker its self and its good.

Modified by Granitethewolf at 7:54 PM 9-15-2009

Vehicles
      09-16-2009 12:45 AM #137
      Well, changing the injector seals did obviously help a lot but the car still has its shudder/shakes while on the highway, it mostly does it when accelerating lightly, but otherwise it smoothed out a lot.

Time to do an injector flow test. You'll need four equal sized, preferably clear bottles to accept some fuel. (I use four Corona bottles.)

-Pull the injectors from the head, and place one in each bottle.
      -Pull the air-boot off of the fuel distributor.
      -Jumper the fuel pump relay so the pump runs with the car off.
      -With the pump running, raise the airflow plate for a few seconds so fuel sprays from the injectors. Note the spray pattern of each injector, it should be "cone" shaped.
      -Release plate and unplug the jumper. Observe the level of fuel in each bottle - they should all have the same amount of fuel. If one is lower than the rest, replace that injector and repeat the test. (Find a used one, they're expensive new!)

Vehicles
      '90 GLi + others
      09-16-2009 01:31 PM #138
      Quote, originally posted by vwdaun »

Time to do an injector flow test. You'll need four equal sized, preferably clear bottles to accept some fuel. (I use four Corona bottles.)

Please note ---

It is not recommended to consume 4 Coronas immediately before conducting this test as it may adversely affect test results.

FLi

Vehicles
      09-16-2009 05:26 PM #139
      I knew I forgot a disclaimer in there somewhere.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Scirocco
      09-16-2009 06:40 PM #140
      Quote, originally posted by vwdaun »
      I knew I forgot a disclaimer in there somewhere.

Also i forgot to note that the car runs best when the engine is up to normal operating temp. It has its worst stutters & hesitation when its cold and it still takes at least 2 attempts to start it, the initial cold start almost always stalls out

I have a feeling its a mix of the iacv and the cold start valve.

Modified by Granitethewolf at 5:07 PM 9-16-2009

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast