Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: K-Jet turbo setup

Vehicles
      76 Swallowtail K-Jet turbo
      08-12-2009 08:36 AM #1
      I'm in the process of building a k-jet turbo mk1 & have been gathering part's over a period of time. The car already has a Volvo 240 fuel dizzy & airflap assembly. I've also added in a permanent fuel pressure tester incl. a tap to test both the control & system pressures.

So far, I've got a saab T3 turbo, Mitubishi Galant turbo intercooler, audi turbo warm up reg, dual port dizzy assembly & a few other bit's incl. a callaway boost gauge & other bit's & pieces & also waiting on the rest of the conversion part's to arrive incl. manifold & A/F meter etc.

While waiting for these part's I decided to play around with some item's & tested the dizzy advance/retard pot.
      I modified the pot & drilled out the retard stop & tested it. Under 10-15psi it didn't retard the ignition at all. At 20psi it retarded the ignition only a few degrees. Vacuum advance operated as normal.

I also fitted the audi warm up reg & tested it too. At hot idle without the vacuum hose fitted it would read 45psi (normal). As soon as I put the hose from the warm up reg barbed fitting to the throttle body full vacuum port it would run like a bag of crap & pull it down to 20-25psi! Even on the throttle body ported vacuum it would idle fine at 45psi, but as soon as you crack the throttle open alittle bit to pull vacuum it would again run bad & pull it down to 20-25psi!

If someone could please help, where about's do you plug the warm up reg. vacuum/boost reference into. Eg. throttle body ports, intake manifold to get the boost enrichment?

Also has anyone actually tested there ignition boost retard, as I'm interested in your result's to see if they actually do work.

What would be the approx power output of a k-jet turbo setup like this running 10psi?

Cheers

Tim.

Last edited by John Milner; 10-20-2010 at 08:04 AM.
      Yeah, well I'm not surprised, drivin' a field car!

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8T / 95 Jetta / 87 Jetta Coupe / 75 Super Beetle / 93 Audi 90 / 81 Datsun 280ZX
      08-19-2009 07:59 PM #2
      Can't help too much in this department, as I am doing a similar setup and will also need advice.. But I know that my 240T WUR needs a check valve inline to the TB port for boost enrichment, so maybe yours does as well. As far as boost retard, I have an MSD box for that. If theres anyone to ask about this stuff, its Peter Tong, he is the man with boosted cis.

Steve-

Steve-
      StunninS2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clarkson View Post
      I assume you were doing that as some act of charity? Like taking retards to the zoo.

Vehicles
      08-20-2009 08:04 AM #3
      Thank's Steve.

I'm already looking into it.

The only other thing is with a one way check valve is, will it trap the boost signal in the warmup reg too?

K-Jet Turbo build

08-24-2009 02:25 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Mk1-20V »
      As soon as I put the hose from the warm up reg barbed fitting to the throttle body full vacuum port it would run like a bag of crap & pull it down to 20-25psi! Even on the throttle body ported vacuum it would idle fine at 45psi, but as soon as you crack the throttle open alittle bit to pull vacuum it would again run bad & pull it down to 20-25psi!

What port on the WUR are you hooking vacuum to? on the Audi 5000 turbo WUR's the one you wana use is on the side. If you apply vacuum to the port on the top it will reduce the control pressure and make the engine run rich.

Derp.

Vehicles
      08-24-2009 03:56 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by EuroKid83 »

What port on the WUR are you hooking vacuum to? on the Audi 5000 turbo WUR's the one you wana use is on the side. If you apply vacuum to the port on the top it will reduce the control pressure and make the engine run rich.

The hose is connected to the barbed fitting on the side of the warm up reg.

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      08-24-2009 04:17 AM #6
      Here is my build thread from another forum

Over the last few month's I've been increasingly getting bored & needed something to do, other than help my friend's with there project's.

Which has led me to get motivated to continue carry on with phase #2 on the 76er, my daily since building it in May 08.

I've been gathering part's for the build over the last few month's for the turbo build up.

I thought I'd have a go at doing it "ol skool" style being a K-Jet turbo.

The spec is very basic & very, very mild. (only running 10psi, but maybe more if I can get the fueling right!) Nothing outrageous - Power expectation is unknown at this point. But hopefully it should be fun for awhile once sorted out.

Bone stock low compression "GX" "SLUG"
      Autotech 270 Cam & Valve springs
      Modified G60 intake
      Ol Skool "BIG" Weber/Redline Throttle body I found. (This was a common mod to replace the stock twin throttle body in the 80's & can be a pain in the arse to find one)
      Same stock Volvo K-Jet I've already fitted, except deleted Aux. air valve & Cold start valve
      Audi 5000T boost referenced Warm up Regulator
      Stock modified Distributor
      ATP Cast 8V exhaust manifold
      Saab T3 oil/watercooled turbo. V-Band 3" wastegate/dump pipe
      Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Intercooler
      Custom 2.5" exhaust & 2" intercooler piping
      Tial 50mm BOV. (I'll be using this for my next project in the future.)

I'll also be fitting a Innovate Motorsport's wideband Air/Fuel meter/data logger to help me with the tuning side of thing's along with a modified Autometer fuel pressure gauge setup & also my favorite part. A genuine Callaway boost gauge, as fitted as part there Mk1 turbo kit's in the 80's!
      I'll be tuning this myself, as there isn't a hell of alot of people out there who can successfully tune this sort of injection system, especially turbocharged too!
      Once I'm happy with the tune, I'll put it on a dyno to get a idea of the power output.

I'm still waiting on some part's to arrive soon, but I'll post up what I've got & work done so far.

Saab Turbo & boost regulator (Just have to remove a broken bolt from the exhaust housing! DOH!) It's not a big turbo by all mean's (it's tiny to the other one I have here!), but it should be enough for now, until I get really power hungry. Only a matter of time! haha

New Engine Breather/catch can setup. I know. No more Powerade bottle! haha

Audi 5000T boost referenced Warm Up Regulator fitted

Autometer Fuel pressure tester I modified for testing purposes of the K-Jet, as this is how you basically tune a K-Jet system Note: the fuel tap to switch between "System" pressure & "Control" pressure

Weber "BIG" Throttle body (pics stolen off here. just waiting on this to arrive)

Test mounted up the intercooler to work out the bracket's & mounting after it was pressure tested. All good.

I placed it so it has full frontage coverage of the intercooler core & still has room to have the piping fitted. Once painted black, you won't even know it's there!

Had to relocate the Radiator back 1" & across to the driver's side 2" & then bend up a cover plate for the radiator core. Note: Underneath is is lined with some stick on foam to protect the rad. fins & keep it from moving.

Intercooler with the mounting bracket's welded on

It's not a very big intercooler, but it will do the job easy as. A friend fitted one of these to to his TRX CA18T & on 20psi it made 199rwkw's & didn't have any trouble keeping the intake charge cool as!

Assorted boost piping & oil supply & return braided hoses & fitting's.

Volvo "Cobra head" K-Jet airflap intake boot

Innovate Motorsport's wideband A/F meter & data logger equipment

Callway Boost Gauge. (I've had this for year's waiting for the perfect project!)

Stay tuned for more. Just waiting on part's now!

K-Jet Turbo build

7. 08-25-2009 02:24 AM #7
      More pics of your fuel pressure gauge setup pls! I've been wanting to do that exact thing to my car since I switched to CIS basic and pretty much have to check the pressures to tune it.

Seeing all this is making me want to go back to my 8v, that damn 16v is addicting though.

Vehicles
      08-27-2009 09:03 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by NA 8v for life »
      More pics of your fuel pressure gauge setup pls! I've been wanting to do that exact thing to my car since I switched to CIS basic and pretty much have to check the pressures to tune it.

Seeing all this is making me want to go back to my 8v, that damn 16v is addicting though.

G'day matey.

Basically, it's just an old Autometer fuel pressure gauge I had lying around from another project added with a T-piece & high pressure tap installed, along with couple of speedflow fitting's & a couple more speedflow fitting's brazed onto the old warm-up regulator hose ends

K-Jet Turbo build

08-29-2009 01:00 AM #9
      Lookin good man, I'm gona follow this build. I'm starting a K-Jet turbo setup as well. Are you going to re-circulate your BOV? That intercooler is plenty big enough, the one I'm using is a little smaller than that but it fits very well.

Modified by EuroKid83 at 10:07 PM 8-28-2009
      Derp.

Vehicles
      08-29-2009 03:37 AM #10
      Lookin good man, I'm gona follow this build. I'm starting a K-Jet turbo setup as well. Are you going to re-circulate your BOV? That intercooler is plenty big enough, the one I'm using is a little smaller than that but it fits very well.

Modified by EuroKid83 at 10:07 PM 8-28-2009

G'day EuroKid,

I don't plan on using a recirc BOV. I've ordered a Tial 50mm one, which I'll end up using on another project engine once I've had enough off this 8vT.

Alittle bit has been happening in the way of a good friend (tool maker) helping me out with a custom adjustable one way valve for the warm up reg boost reference.

Now still waiting on part's to arrive.

K-Jet Turbo build

08-30-2009 10:48 PM #11
      Interesting. What is the purpose of the one-way valve?
      Derp.

Vehicles
      08-30-2009 11:00 PM #12
      Interesting. What is the purpose of the one-way valve?

My first post explains what happen's in regard to the boost/vacuum sensitive warm up reg.

The warm up reg. richen's the mixture with either boost or vacuum.

So at idle & part load (ie cruise), I have a rich mixture. If I eliminate the vacuum side of it with this one way valve, then I can have proper idle mixtures at approx 2.0% 14.5A/F & then with boost pressure, it richen's the mixture to suit.

I understand that the idle CO A/F will be alittle richer than this once it's tuned, but hopefully I can get it close to this & also richen the mixture to approx 12.5 A/F under full boost which will also give it reasonable fuel economy too.

I'll also put a tiny bleed hole after the valve so that boost pressure doesn't get trapped in the warm up reg & cause it to stay rich & come back to atmosphere pressure as it would normally see..

That's my theory. Hopefully it work's.

I just have to work out how to retard the timing properly, cause I've played around with the twin port dizzy incl. modifying the retard boss & it doesn't start to retard the timing till approx 20psi! So 10psi it is uselss & operates as normal. No good under boost!

I don't want to go to the trouble of fitting a $700+AUD MSD boost retard, as for another $500AUD I can go to a fully programmable stand alone ECU & get rid of the K-Jet all together, which I don't want to do.

That's too easy to do & I want to have a go at getting this old school system working properly

Modified by Mk1-20V at 2:16 PM 8-31-2009

08-31-2009 02:03 PM #13
      Interesting. I have a volvo 240 turbo WUR that I'm gona use. One thing I have noticed is that when you have vacuum it keeps the control pressure at 50 psi but as soon as the vacuum drops or goes away completely the control pressure drops to 20 psi. I'm not sure if the control pressure drops lower than 20 psi under boost but I'm going to do some more testing and see what happens.
      Derp.

Vehicles
      09-01-2009 07:04 AM #14
      Interesting. I have a volvo 240 turbo WUR that I'm gona use. One thing I have noticed is that when you have vacuum it keeps the control pressure at 50 psi but as soon as the vacuum drops or goes away completely the control pressure drops to 20 psi. I'm not sure if the control pressure drops lower than 20 psi under boost but I'm going to do some more testing and see what happens.

Mine is the complete opposite & I've double checked the bosch part #'s too!

When mine is at idle it's rich as (approx 20psi) full throttle/no vacuum it's back to normal (approx 50psi) & when you apply positive pressure, it's back to rich (approx 20psi).
      With the reg not connected to anything & open to the atmosphere, it runs as normal & have noticed a increase in fuel ecomony too.

Hopefully this valve should sort it out. Ill get there in the end. I'm not chasing stupid power, just something different & hopefully fun for a while

K-Jet Turbo build

09-06-2009 06:58 PM #15
      So how are things going with your build? I wana see some new pictures!
      Derp.

Vehicles
      09-07-2009 05:42 AM #16
      So how are things going with your build? I wana see some new pictures!

Not much as been happening as of late, as I've been trying to get other job's done first. See below.

All my part's should arrive this week, but I'm booked out till the end of the month, with job's & weekends away to car event's.

Enough of that! Onto the intake.

I did get a chance to remove all the useless mounting boss' off the G60 intake I've got here & went & sandblasted it today at a friend's workshop. I also drilled & tapped one of the manifold fitting's with a plug, as I only need one port for the brake booster. It also came standard with a boost/vacuum fitting on the end, which will come in handy for the other component's

These intakes do look alot bigger, but these intakes aren't really suited to NA purposes. These are mainly for forced induction only, due to slow air speeds through the runner's on NA application's. You'd be better off with stock 8V K-Jet intake properly match ported & bottom 1/2 half of the runner ported/blended for a NA application.

Here you can clearly see how much larger the intake runners are compared to the standard 8V K-Jet intake of a GTI.
      I'm also not running any cold start injector or a aux. bypass valve to simplify the setup & also less chances of boost leak's too!

Depending on my exhaust fab. mate, I'm planning on doing the conversion on the first weekend of Oct.

The plan is to take a Fri. off work & bang out the conversion on a Thurs. night, Fri. which should give me enough time to fit all the turbo gear up & then drop it off to my mate on the Sat & leave it with him to make the exhaust & intercooler piping & hopefully pick up the car on Mon. arvo, with everything done.

This way I'm not without a car for too long. Then I can spend the rest of my time playing around with the tuning side of things.

Modified by Mk1-20V at 9:02 PM 9-7-2009

K-Jet Turbo build

17. 09-07-2009 04:52 PM #17
      Shouldn't the difference in size of runner change the intake velocity?

Vehicles
      09-08-2009 06:00 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by ShaggysGTI »
      Shouldn't the difference in size of runner change the intake velocity?

Your right in a way, but a larger intake runner/port for a given amount of air (how much the engine can actually take it), the slower the air speed becomes.

That's why I said it wouldn't be well suited to a NA application, but more suited to forced induction., as your actually forcing air into the intake/port, which can mean the bigger the better up to a certain amount. But the car will be lazier off boost though with this intake.

When it's used as NA, your engine is trying to suck air in (difference in pressure from the atmosphere & combustion chamber.

A Vortex member did a heap of testing on flow rates of different 8V intake's I think his name is Ny Fam?

Try & think of it like this.

Grab a foot garden hose & blow through it in one long breath & see how fast it comes out the other end.

Then try the same long breath into a Radiator hose & see how fast it comes out.
      Same breath, same length hose, different size hoses & different pressures.

Same principles apply to the intake manifold/runner/ports.

Hope this makes some sort of sense

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      09-08-2009 06:03 AM #19
      Another piece of the puzzle "finally" turned up today too!

Weber Throttle body & Redline adapter!

Needs only alittle clean up. Very happy with it.

K-Jet Turbo build

20. 09-08-2009 02:58 PM #20
      why not just hook the vaccume reference line pre TB so it doesn't ever get vaccume?

My first post explains what happen's in regard to the boost/vacuum sensitive warm up reg.

The warm up reg. richen's the mixture with either boost or vacuum.

So at idle & part load (ie cruise), I have a rich mixture. If I eliminate the vacuum side of it with this one way valve, then I can have proper idle mixtures at approx 2.0% 14.5A/F & then with boost pressure, it richen's the mixture to suit.

I understand that the idle CO A/F will be alittle richer than this once it's tuned, but hopefully I can get it close to this & also richen the mixture to approx 12.5 A/F under full boost which will also give it reasonable fuel economy too.

I'll also put a tiny bleed hole after the valve so that boost pressure doesn't get trapped in the warm up reg & cause it to stay rich & come back to atmosphere pressure as it would normally see..

That's my theory. Hopefully it work's.

I just have to work out how to retard the timing properly, cause I've played around with the twin port dizzy incl. modifying the retard boss & it doesn't start to retard the timing till approx 20psi! So 10psi it is uselss & operates as normal. No good under boost!

I don't want to go to the trouble of fitting a $700+AUD MSD boost retard, as for another $500AUD I can go to a fully programmable stand alone ECU & get rid of the K-Jet all together, which I don't want to do.

That's too easy to do & I want to have a go at getting this old school system working properly

Modified by Mk1-20V at 2:16 PM 8-31-2009

Vehicles
      09-09-2009 04:40 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by MaxVW »
      why not just hook the vaccume reference line pre TB so it doesn't ever get vaccume?

There is no pre-TB line. There's only two outlet's on the throttle body. One is full manifold vacuum & the other is ported vacuum for Vac. advance on your dizzy.

There is still vacuum pre throttle body right upto the air flow flap. Both in NA & FI form.

Although with a FI it becomes positive pressure after the turbo outlet, but there is still vacuum form the turbo inlet to the air flap.

K-Jet Turbo build

22. 09-09-2009 04:46 PM #22
      you could "T" into the WG reference nipple on the turbocharger. im pretty sure there is never vaccume there. but i guess your little one way valve ensures you never see vaccume

09-11-2009 12:32 AM #23
      Have you considered using a MK2 8V intake manifold? They flow better than the MK1 manifolds.
      Derp.

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 05:46 AM #24
      Quote, originally posted by MaxVW »
      you could "T" into the WG reference nipple on the turbocharger. im pretty sure there is never vaccume there. but i guess your little one way valve ensures you never see vaccume

There will still be vacuum even at the turbo compressor housing when it's not on boost, as it's "still" part of the inlet track.

Have you considered using a MK2 8V intake manifold? They flow better than the MK1 manifolds.

The intake I've just match ported & sandblasted is actually a Mk2 8V G60 intake, hence bigger runner's, no aux. air valve, cold start valve, as these were Digifant.

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 07:17 AM #25
      I dismantled the Throttle body for a clean up & inspection & removed one of the ugly brass fitting's it came with standard so I could plug it up.

Where the brass fitting used to be. You can see in a previous pic, a big tube style fitting hanging out of the side of it with a screw head on the end.

Get the Tap & cutting compound. This stuff is by far the best stuff I have ever used for cutting threads & even drilling!

Run the Tap down gently

New thread all cleaned up

Bung fitted & sealed with pipe sealant

Then onto match porting the redline adapter with the intake manifold gasket.

I didn't follow the line to the letter, as the material would have become very narrow even for the gasket, especially under boost pressure too, so I left some meat where it open's up the the bigger end!

You can see how much material had to be removed!

Finished product. I finished it off with the flapper wheels. They work awesome at smooth everything out!

Redline adapter

Intake Manifold

I blended in the opening into the first port runner as smooth as I could. I'm not a pro at this. Just enjoy doing it! haha

With the adapter mounted up. I tried to make the transition as smooth as possible without sharp edges or turn's & blended it into the manifold.

Came up ok I reckon

With the throttle mounted up. I also tapped & inserted a bung into one of the fitting's I didn't need in the intake too. I only need one fitting for the brake booster.

Open wide!!!!!

I'm not too worried about port matching to head at the moment. If the engine blows a headgasket & I remove & dismantle the head, I'll do it then. But can't be stuff with the engine still in the car.

I'll also do the exhaust manifold too when it turn's up, but I'll only match it to the exhaust manifold gasket's.

Enjoy

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      09-24-2009 06:31 AM #26
      Well I've been flatout here lately, with car shows/event's & other general service stuff, but a big shipment has finally come in & everything has been going full steam ahead.

Heres the latest shipment of part's. Mainly the main part's I've been waiting on to get things going

I decided to get a Tial BOV with V-Band, as it matchs a Tial Wastegate I've got here for another engine build later on

Internal Wastegate assembly which transfers into a 3" V-Band

BIG difference to the standard Saab exhaust/wastegate assembly & the "whopping" great big 2" dump pipe! Very restrictive too!

The all important 8V cast exhaust manifold

Various gasket's, adapters & oil fittings

Some new brakes, as the old ones are, well old & warped!

ATE POwer disc's front & rear. I got some 280mm for the big wheels & some standard 239mm Ive I ever decide to put smaller wheel's on to drag it

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      09-24-2009 06:45 AM #27
      So with nearly all the major parts in hand, it was time to get thing's moving along as fast as possible

Before Engine bay shots

Didn't take too long to strip it all down & start mocking everything up & then came across some trouble! All this kit is for a LHD car! DOH!

There will be a few mod's here & there to get everything to fit O.K.!

But after scrounging through some various nut's, bolt & studs & even having to make different bolt's with the help of Dom, I finally got there

Fitted up the ATP 3" wastegate V-Band adapter in the process

I painted all the cast exhaust manifold, turbo housing in VHT High temp Matt Black . Awesome stuff & the rest of the dump pipe will get the same treatment

It's a bloody tight fit! It's less than 5mm off resting on the steering shaft boot! Ah well. The old extractor's rested on it anyway!

Assembly mocked up on the bench with a few more part's fitted

Mocking up a new Wastegate actuator.

I can see why company's such as Callaway etc all ran external WG. There is bugger all room down there for them. But I've come this far not to turn around, so I'll stick at it & make it work

Then the die grinder had to be broken out again due to clearance issues with the G60 intake!

This took quiet some time & alot of fitting & refitting to get it right

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      09-24-2009 07:04 AM #28
      With some of the stuff off getting finished welded & a few other part's I'm waiting on, I decided to tackle some other part's incl. modifying the dizzy.

Early "twin port" vac canister

Stock GTI vac advance canister

To enable more boost retard, I drilled out the vac pot stop

All mounted up after drilling some new mounting holes

I also fitted a set of MK4 GTI 20vt spark plugs too. This should finish off the ignition system with only a couple of minor timing adjustments during tuning

I also decided to have another play around with the Audi Warm Up reg after some long thinking sessions.

The more I played around with it, the more I learned about it & decided to apply the boost pressure to the other chamber of the warm up (not the barbed fitting side) & put it to the test. I wound down the compressore to 10psi & put it to the test. It worked spot on & I played around with different pressure setting's & compared them to some old porsche K-Jet turbo spec's & were right on the money.

I no longer need the one-way valve my friend made for me.

During my thinking stage, I also wanted to try & add more fuel enrichment for higher boost level's, but didn't want to go down the programmable extra injector(s), as this basically defeats the purpose of building a K-Jet turbo. If you've got one or two extra injectors that can be programmed the way you want to supply the fuel, you might as well go to a full standalone ECU like Microtech, Autronic etc.

So I've had a flat plate of alloy welded to the face of the intake plenum & have drilled & tapped holes for an extra 2 cold start valves run off an adjustable hobbs switch.
      Because the G60 intake doesn't have a cold start valve, I can put them where I want. The stock GTI spot isn't efficient enough to mix up the right mixture under boost anyway, as you've got say 10psi blowing right at the face of the valve, which will just blow the fuel right up against the No1 plenum wall & force it all into cyl. 1, causing the other cyl's to run lean.
      So I've placed one of them between cyl 1 & 2, & the other between cyl 3 & 4. Hopefully setup like this, it should mix it up nice & supply an even amount of fuel to all cyl's.

Even if this setup runs rich as buggery on boost. It's better than running lean! Running rich can also drown out the piston melting pinging! We'll see how it goes. If it does run on the rich side under boost, I'll screw some more boost into it & see what happens.
      My friend is also good with setting up water/meth injection kits as well, so theres another option too.
      I plan on starting off tuning on Wastegate spring pressure which is roughly 7psi & work my way up.

In the event of it melting a piston, I've got some 20vt spare piston's & rods, I'll throw in along with a G60 metal head gasket, which should be more than enough for the little 8v

I'll put up some pic's when I get the intake back which should be very soon.

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:36 PM 9-24-2009

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:47 PM 9-24-2009

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:52 PM 9-24-2009

29. 09-24-2009 05:00 PM #29
      Quote »
      http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll148/golfworx/IMGP3094.jpg

I love my ATP Vband wastegate... curious... what is the red stuff? rtv?
      my oil stain is bigger than yours
      the Race Dasher Project is now on Facebook, 180hp and 188tq... while miss-firing BADLY
      the Dasher Owners Group is now on Facebook

Vehicles
      09-24-2009 07:46 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by Southcross »

I love my ATP Vband wastegate... curious... what is the red stuff? rtv?

Spot on.

It's Permatex Ultra Copper gasket goo.

The factory wastegate housing didn't have a gasket as it places the wastegate flap too foo away from the exhaust housing & can cause it to leak

More pics

Various silicone hoses of different sizes & shapes. (What ever doesn't get used will get put away for the next turbo build) I't shard to judge what you might need when building these sort's of things without having most of the stuff already fitted.

Various mild steel mandrel's & piping.

A couple of my friend's came down & built the dump pipe while I was at work & also installed the oxy. sensor bung. They done an awesome job too smoothing off the welds & making it flow nice & smooth. They'll also be helping with the intercooler piping.

I'll drive it to my friend's exhaust place like this & he'll rig up the rest of the exhaust. It will just be a 2.5" with a resonator & turbo rear muffler. Don't want it too loud as I travel 200km a day in it. So no drone for me!
      In case your all wondering, this is my everyday car & travel 700+km a week in it, not a weekend warrior.

Hobb's switch & Mk4 GTI 20vt (AGU engine code) spark plugs

A good friend of mine also gave me this.

A factory 1977 Mk1 GLS Radio.

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:48 AM 9-25-2009

Modified by Mk1-20V at 10:49 AM 9-25-2009

K-Jet Turbo build

31. 09-24-2009 11:24 PM #31

Spot on.

It's Permatex Ultra Copper gasket goo.

The factory wastegate housing didn't have a gasket as it places the wastegate flap too foo away from the exhaust housing & can cause it to leak

uhm.... every 5-bolt turbo I have seen has been metal to metal, I don't run any kind of seal and I haven't ever had any kind of exhaust leak. I give the RTV one full heat cycle
      the Race Dasher Project is now on Facebook, 180hp and 188tq... while miss-firing BADLY

32. 09-25-2009 01:20 AM #32
      who can weld cast iron to mild steel? i never have but ive done plenty of aluminum

Vehicles
      09-25-2009 08:36 AM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Southcross »
      uhm.... every 5-bolt turbo I have seen has been metal to metal, I don't run any kind of seal and I haven't ever had any kind of exhaust leak. I give the RTV one full heat cycle

Ah well. I'll have to see how it goes. If it does melt it/spit it out, it's me that has to fix it.

Quote, originally posted by bunnyhopin »
      who can weld cast iron to mild steel? i never have but ive done plenty of aluminum

You can weld cast to mild steel, but you have to heat the cast up first. My friend has done it before.

K-Jet Turbo build

Vehicles
      09-25-2009 08:37 AM #34
      Well, I finally got my intake manifold & intercooler back!

These were the last piece's in the puzzle from stopping my progress.

Now on with some more work

My friends tackled the dump pipe, so it was my turn to do the rest of the pipe work. Good fun!

Intake with it's modded twin aux. injector (cold start valves) plate

Hopefully it should work ok. If not, the weber throttle body has another mounting for a 3rd cold start valve.

Intercooler with all it's mounting brackets on

Mounted up the intercooler & then installed the radiator to start mocking up all the piping

There is still alittle bit of room between the intercooler & radiator. They aren't hard up against each other.

I also mounted it using scrivet's (pop rivet nut's) Work awesome!

Various silicone hose joiner slugs

Had to get the turbo intake pipe stretched to fit snugly in the volvo intake boot.

Turbo intake pipe all done & mocked up. I'll get some more pics of this when it's back out of the car along with all the pipes

Then started mocking up the intercooler to throttle body piping

Finished pipe

Then mocked up the Tial BOV mounting position & then the Hobb's switch as well

Then started in the turbo outlet piping. Sorry but I forgot to get a pic of this out of the car

Working out intercooler piping position

I wanted both pipes to run parallel with each other & make it a clean fitment.

Everything appears to clear everything, but only a test drive & time will tell. Hopefully I'll be fine with engine movement

Progress will slow down this weekend, as I've got a 2 day training course over the weekend, but I'll try & get in some work during the night's & back on it on Mon.

K-Jet Turbo build

35. 09-25-2009 11:21 AM #35
      Dual (or tripple) cold start valves???????????? I'm super lost

Ah well. I'll have to see how it goes. If it does melt it/spit it out, it's me that has to fix it.

well... I don't know exactly what it will do... if its copper based it might stand up to the temps *shrug*

Just be prepared that it might burn up and turn into a giant cloud of nasty smoke the first time the turbo gets hot. I don't know if you have a CAT or anything right down stream from it, but burning chunks may wind up going through your exhaust

its a very interesting build... and way overdone on the photos, way to go!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast