Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small RV's

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo
      08-13-2009 10:27 AM #1
      While I love the idea of the Expidition Truck, that may be a little out of my range as far as camping goes.
      I like the idea of being able to load up a small camper and head out to a local state or national park for a weekend trip. So I am assuming that a 'Class B' would work well for me.
      Who has one? And what are some things to look out for. I am assuming rust and other factors, but I have never dealt with waste collection. Are there RV mechanics? I have seen the VW class B and it looks to be about the size I would consider. Any thoughts?
      I'm addicted to break fluid. It's ok though, I can stop anytime.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      08-13-2009 10:28 AM #2
      Quote, originally posted by volkswagen vagen »
      Any thoughts?

Yes.
      Why is the paintjob always so hideous on RVs?

Vehicles
      95 mustang GT, 08 Goldwing , 2015 RAM, 79 Bronco
      08-13-2009 10:36 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by RobMan8023 »
      Yes.
      Why is the paintjob always so hideous on RVs?

that is not ugly, it is luxurious and elegant.

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo
      08-13-2009 10:37 AM #4
      Great question.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      94 Miata 16 Fiesta ST
      08-13-2009 10:43 AM #5
      I always thought the Vixen was pretty cool. Powered by the diesel from the 5-series of the time and not too big.

6. 08-13-2009 10:45 AM #6
      I thought about the bigger rv route, but found that small popup or tear drop worked nearly as well for weekend trips. I bought a Coleman Colorado for $300 and it's working out well. I do need to replace the canvas tho. Here's a pic

Kinda dig these too: t@b

Vehicles
      2 Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      08-13-2009 10:49 AM #7
      They look like a great option, but do a web search on the Rialta.
      The novelty will wear off as soon as you read some owner horror stories.
      If I go for an RV of this size, it'll be a small popup or the like that can be pulled by a wagon or van. <beat by a wookie>
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon - YouTube Track Videos - flickr
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Vehicles
      08-13-2009 10:55 AM #8
      While a Pop up could be an option, I don't really have a tow vehicle I would rely on.

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      08-13-2009 10:56 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Surf Green &raquo;
      They look like a great option, but do a web search on the Rialta.
      The novelty will wear off as soon as you read some owner horror stories.
      If I go for an RV of this size, it'll be a small popup or the like that can be pulled by a wagon or van. <beat by a wookie>

This is exactly right. The last thing you want is to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, N. Dakota in something with a VW engine in it.

Vehicles
      Honda Fanboy Collection
      08-13-2009 10:56 AM #10
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GZRmzuiig8
      that's all i have to add.

Modified by compy222 at 10:59 AM 8-13-2009
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      328D / TDI / LWB
      08-13-2009 10:57 AM #11
      I'm quite partial to the low-key European Sprinter camper vans.
      PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Great, a Chevy Lumina thread. Now I'm going to have an erection lasting more than four hours.
      #FREEPATRICKMAN

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 + 1990 VW Corrado track toy
      08-13-2009 11:01 AM #12

Vehicles
      08-13-2009 11:02 AM #13
      I've got an '85 Huntsman on a Toyota chassis. It's got the 22RE engine in it, and gets about 14MPG. It's about the smallest thing you can get with a bathroom.
      Mine will sleep four adults. The sleeping arrangement is also a downside to the Realta. You have to drop the table every night to make the bed. In one like mine, with the bunk over the cab, you don't have to do that. When you're making a long haul and are only stopping to sleep (not camping) this is a very nice feature to have. I would never even consider an RV that didn't have at least one bed that didn't have to be converted during daily use. On small RVs that means having it over the cab.
      Here's mine:

There are some (poor) interior shots on my account if you'd like to see them.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...00505/

Vehicles
      08-13-2009 11:03 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by mikegilbert &raquo;
      I'm quite partial to the low-key European Sprinter camper vans.

I love everything about them....except the price. They're absurdly expensive for their size.

Vehicles
      the big three and a deere
      08-13-2009 11:04 AM #15
      depending on what you have for a vehicle, there are some really nice layouts in lightweight Hybrid rv's. Low weight, actual washrooms and full height. we love ours, at 3100lbs dry weight its nice and light and quite easy to haul with the Rav4.
      The hybrid trailers give you a bunch of extra space that does not add up to much additional weight or length.

14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

Vehicles
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      08-13-2009 11:05 AM #16
      An older neighbor of mine has a van/camper with a higher roof on it, not sure what this type of camper is called...It's a 80's Dodge van body, not a truck cab+additional custom camper addition.
      He keeps it immaculate, and rarely uses it, due to his age. In fact, he just got rear ended by some kid, so it got a full paint job + new bumpers. I keep asking about it, seeing when he'll sell it.
      It's got a small bathroom and sleeps 4. Any ideas of what these are worth?

Vehicles
      08-13-2009 11:09 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Bibs &raquo;
      An older neighbor of mine has a van/camper with a higher roof on it, not sure what this type of camper is called...It's a 80's Dodge van body, not a truck cab+additional custom camper addition.
      He keeps it immaculate, and rarely uses it, due to his age. In fact, he just got rear ended by some kid, so it got a full paint job + new bumpers. I keep asking about it, seeing when he'll sell it.
      It's got a small bathroom and sleeps 4. Any ideas of what these are worth?

What you're describing is a "Class B" RV. They range from small ones like the one I posted above, up to about 38' Toy Haulers.
      The value will depend a lot on its condition, and how it's equipped. Things like A/Cs, battery chargers and water heaters cost a significant amount of money to replace, so it makes a big difference if they're all in working order or not, and how old they are.
      If it's in decent shape it's probably worth $3500-5000, but that number could vary a lot depending on the equipment. The best thing to do is get a good look at it, then go on RVTrader.com and compare it to others of the same size and vintage.

Modified by justanotherusername at 8:12 AM 8-13-2009

Vehicles
      Scirocco, Scirocco Passat
      08-13-2009 11:11 AM #18
      How about a teardrop trailer? Smaller/lighter than a T@B, probably within the limit of what your C30 could tow..
      Enclosed sleeping, but for the rest of it you're really camping.

19. 08-13-2009 11:11 AM #19
      Quote, originally posted by justanotherusername &raquo;
      There are some (poor) interior shots on my account if you'd like to see them.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...00505/

My parents-in-law are serial RV buyers and I've taken quite a few of them on little trips here and there, and, looking at your pictures reminded me that I've always wondered if all that MDF and Formica and wood paneling could be replaced by something a little more modern and a lot more efficient, weight-wise. I suppose price has a lot to do with it, when you can use off-the-shelf home cabinetry and all that. But, I'd like to think you could shed a lot of weight with different materials.
      Anybody ever gut one of these to the walls and go really orthogonal on it?

Vehicles
      08-13-2009 11:16 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by Slump &raquo;
      My parents-in-law are serial RV buyers and I've taken quite a few of them on little trips here and there, and, looking at your pictures reminded me that I've always wondered if all that MDF and Formica and wood paneling could be replaced by something a little more modern and a lot more efficient, weight-wise. I suppose price has a lot to do with it, when you can use off-the-shelf home cabinetry and all that. But, I'd like to think you could shed a lot of weight with different materials.
      Anybody ever gut one of these to the walls and go really orthogonal on it?

Coming from the Marine industry, I went at mine with a product called Centra. It's expended PVC board. It's lightweight, completely waterproof (it's used extensively on yatchts) and easy to work with. The downside is it's not cheap.
      I replaced a few cabinet doors, and some of the panels with it. I'm sure if you really put some effort into it you could drop some serious weight and increase the quality a lot. My rig is only worth about $4500, so I was more interested in making sure the mechanicals were good before I set out 'cross country than making it nice inside, but there's a lot of room for improvement for sure.
      Edit: Sintra, not Centra
      http://www.sintrapvc.com/

Modified by justanotherusername at 8:22 AM 8-13-2009

Vehicles
      '13 Focus
      08-13-2009 11:16 AM #21
      Definetly do some research before you buy. These are all coaches, some builders are better than others for many reasons. My parents have a Coachman Catalina, a '95 model on a E350 chassis. This is a class C RV, but the same ideas transfer over. They require a lot of upkeep, and maintanence can be expensive.
      Big dollar items are water heaters, funaces, fridge, generators, and A/C units. Lots of the items inside are custom bits, so if the model you are looking at is out of production it can be incredibly hard to find replacement parts. Im sure the smaller B class RVs are a little better on gas than the one my parents have, but they get about 6mpg @70mph (460ci V8). Drops as low as 4mpg with a heavy headwind.

Vehicles
      98 whatchamacallit
      08-13-2009 09:14 PM #22
      Started looking at these last year. Even went to the RV Show!
      I too wanted something smaller. Unfortunately my interests/needs/wants/hobbies has led me to some larger ones. The Dodge Sprinter based models were my initial in, but the insides were just too cramped if it had a proper bathroom.
      Still looking, but here are a few of my faves!
      Killer tent on a Touareg...

Cool large VW vans we don't get here!

Smart Car!

23. 08-13-2009 09:27 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by TigerinColorado &raquo;

Vehicles
      98 whatchamacallit
      08-13-2009 09:30 PM #24

25. 08-13-2009 09:49 PM #25

walk,no run from the rialta
      spinters are nice
      my chinook w/ 4x4 gets 9 mpg ,it's good for 2 people for a week but then a little cramped after that

[IMG][/IMG] :

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast