Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Best drill bits for drilling out broken bolts?

1. 08-18-2009 04:59 PM #1
      I had cobalt bits in the past that went through a wheel stud like butter. But now, i have a broken extractor stuck in a broken bolt and the broken extractor has chewed my bit to pieces.

Are there any super strong bits that i could use?

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      08-18-2009 05:00 PM #2
      yo dawg I heard you like broken.......

no serioulsy though, time for the oxy torch. extractors are hardened tool steel, right? that should wreck most off the shelf drill bits.

...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

3. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      08-18-2009 05:11 PM #3
      Picture?

If you have any nub of the extractor, file down 2 opposing sides, so you can get a vice grip on it, then turn it out.

Or, if it's in deep, you could maybe use a punch and hammer to put a straight slot in it, to work it out backwards.

5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

4. 08-18-2009 05:12 PM #4
      a stub didnt even break off, shining a flashlight into the hole looks like it broke off even with the broken off bolt i had drilled into.

5. 08-18-2009 05:13 PM #5
      torch that mother****aaa

Vehicles
      2012 CC R Line, 2007 Passat Wagon, 2001 Jetta VR6, 1993 Corrado SLC, 1973 Ford Capri
      08-18-2009 05:30 PM #6
      Anyway you can use a punch to try and break apart the extractor and get the pieces out?

I have never had good luck with extractors; I have done exactly what you did. I don't use them any more. I curse the person who came up with the name E-Z Out.

I now center punch as close to the center of the broken bolt as I can, then I try to drill out the bolt by using a left handed drill bit. If you get lucky, the action of the bit will eventually back out the bolt, but if not at least you can just drill it out anyway.

7. 08-18-2009 05:34 PM #7
      the stupid thing is, and i am really mad at myself for doing this is that i tried the extractor one last time before i went to drill out the bolt, and when i went to remove the extractor because it wasnt working, i broke the bolt. I didnt break it trying to extract the broken bolt, i broke it trying to pull the extractor out of the pilot hole. ****ing cluster **** bull****

Vehicles
      '83 Rabbit, '08 GTI, '10 Jetta TDI
      08-18-2009 05:50 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by randyvr6 »
      Anyway you can use a punch to try and break apart the extractor and get the pieces out?

I have never had good luck with extractors; I have done exactly what you did. I don't use them any more. I curse the person who came up with the name E-Z Out.

I now center punch as close to the center of the broken bolt as I can, then I try to drill out the bolt by using a left handed drill bit. If you get lucky, the action of the bit will eventually back out the bolt, but if not at least you can just drill it out anyway.

If I ever meet the sadistic bastard that named it "E-Z Out", God help me...

Vehicles
      C15 SDP05216
      08-18-2009 06:05 PM #9
      snap-on thunder bits are the best i've used. good luck drilling through an extractor, there pretty damn hard.
      Bogner Diesel Services
      Mobile Diesel Engine repair
      servicing Detroit Diesel, CAT, Cummins, Mercedes Benz and Allison Transmission.
      Detroit Diesel and CAT Certified
      In God we trust, everyone else pays cash.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i
      08-18-2009 06:12 PM #10
      Might be easier to judge with a picture.

I've (slowly) gotten bolts out using a punch and just tapping it with a hammer in the counter clowckwise direction. Position the punch on an edge, punch it straight down into the metal to make a depression so when you come in from the angle it will have something to bite into - then delicately keep working at the bolt the bolt. But that does no good if the bolt is seized, is it?

11. 08-18-2009 06:24 PM #11
      yeah the problem is that the broken off part is about 2 inches into the lower control arm bushing steel sleeve. I think im going to put everything back together, limp it down the street and see what my options are at the machine shops and the local vw shop.

thanks for the suggestions guys

Vehicles
      '07 3 Hatch, '14 Cherokee Limited, '02 954 Fireblade
      08-18-2009 06:52 PM #12
      You wont find a drill bit that is going to chew through carbide tools.

A torch is going to be your best bet, I have had to do the same thing at work a few times. Fortunately for me, work has all those nice tools.

One thing you could try if you wanted is an air or electric powered engraving tool. They vibrate enough to shake threads loose, sometimes. Might be worth a shot at renting one.

Vehicles
      20th--'11 TDi Jetta
      08-18-2009 07:01 PM #13
      You can drill tiny pilot holes all around the extractor and then twist and pull it out, the best way i have found, you will not find a drill bit that will penetrate the extractor (dont waste your time).
      Speed Kills.Save Your Life.Drive a Honda.

Shearer Fabrications.Garrett/HTA.Southbend.INA Engineering. Integrated Engineering.JE Pistons.Gonzo Tuning.Precision.Autotech cam.

14. 08-18-2009 07:58 PM #14
      if you can get a slot engraved in it google impact screwdriver. It may work... something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Impact-S...BIJV0

15. 08-18-2009 08:10 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by TurboWraith »
      You wont find a drill bit that is going to chew through carbide tools.

You might be able to shatter it too. I've used dry ice on bigger carbide stuff and hit it with a punch/hammer and got it to shatter before.