Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New generation of the Transporter, Multivan, Caravelle and California

Vehicles
      1961 Karmann Ghia Coupe 2006 Golf TDI Comfortline 2008 Jetta 2.0 FSI
      08-19-2009 05:06 AM #1

New versions of the best-selling series begin in autumn 2009

New Common Rail TDI drops fuel consumption by up to 1.9 litres

New front design in keeping with the stylistically refined Volkswagen Design DNA

New infotainment and driver assist systems for optimum comfort and safety

New generation of ESP including the hill-start assistant comes as standard in all vehicles

Hanover, 19th August 2009. The Transporter, Caravelle, Multivan and California – these are the four basic versions of an internationally best-selling vehicle so popular that is has sold in the millions. For its huge fan base, people like service providers, trades people, families, business people and globe trotters, these multi-talented vehicles are an automotive way-of-life, a symbol for endless mobility and variety. A few weeks after the Multivan and California are premiered at the IAA in Frankfurt in September 2009, a new generation of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle’s successful models will hit the roads. The new perfected version gives out even fewer emissions as well as being more efficient, economical, comfortable, elegant, intelligent and safer than ever before. Advance sales for all four basic versions will start at the IAA.
      Refinement and high-tech features fit for a bestseller

The bestseller’s body design is now in line with Volkswagen’s new Design DNA. The new front design shows off the series in an even more elegant light. The series, which is known as the T5 by Volkswagen employees, has also been given a huge technical boost. Take the engines for example: the new Turbo diesel engines (TDI) are more efficient, exceptionally quiet and now fitted with a Common Rail Injection system. Thanks to the new TDI, fuel consumption levels have decreased by up to 1.9 litres and CO2 emissions have dropped by 52 g/km, so that all engines now fulfil the EU5 emission standards. What’s more, the new versions come with an optional 7-gear dual clutch gearbox (DSG) - an international first for this class of vehicle! As another optional extra, you can have the new four-wheel drive function (4Motion with 4th generation Haldex coupling), which allows you to drive off-road. Another revolutionary highlight from the new models is that, from the start of the year, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will be offering a 4Motion version in conjunction with DSG. Safety features have been further improved thanks to the standard hill-start assistant, refined ESP, a new hazard warning light for the brake lights (emergency brake lights) and new optional driver assist systems. In addition, the interior is fitted with new instruments, steering wheels, radio/navigation systems and textures on top of ergonomic perfection.

Four new Common Rail TDI and dual clutch gearboxes

With the new four-cylinder diesel engines with Common Rail Injection, the best-selling series in both Germany and Europe sets new benchmarks for both its economy and its kindness to the environment. The TDI (1,968 cm³) comes as either 62 kW / 84 PS, 75 kW / 102 PS, 103 kW / 140 PS or 132 kW /180 PS. The 140 PS engine is boosted by a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry, while Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has fitted a two-stage charger with bi-turbocharger in the top of the range 180 PS. This form of downsizing means that, for the first time in the Volkswagen Group, a compression ignition engine is being used in a vehicle of this performance range.

The greatest feature is the fuel-saving capacity. It is the first time in the world that a transporter, van or touring vehicle has been equipped with a 7-gear dual clutch gearbox (DSG), which allows fuel consumption in the 180 PS version to drop by up to 1.9 litres when compared with the previous 6-gear automatic. In the meantime, the 85 kW / 115 PS petrol engine will be carried over and now complies with EU5 emission standards. Compared to previous generations, Volkswagen were able to decrease CO2 emissions and fuel consumption levels by an average of 10 percent across the whole range. In vehicles with a manual gearbox and front-wheel drive, the CO2 emissions and fuel consumption levels* range from 7.2 litres / 190 g/km CO2 (84 PS and 102 PS) to 7.5 litres / 190 g/km CO2 (180 PS): that’s up to 0.9 litres less than ever before.

All four diesel engines respond extremely quickly and almost as soon as you have left idling speed as well! Even the smallest TDI engine with 84 PS has a maximum torque of 220 Newton metres from just 1,250 rpm. The 102 PS version goes to 250 Newton metres from 1,500 rpm, the 140 PS TDI hits a high of 340 Newton metres from 1,750 rpm while the 180 PS TDI propels into the crankshaft with an impressive 400 Newton metres from 1,500 rpm. And of course all versions are fitted with a particle filter.

The Multivan and Co. on track with the new Volkswagen Design DNA

Alongside other new design features, the new generations really stand out with a completely modified front end. Clear, horizontal lines give the series a timeless, elegant appearance. The ribs on the radiator grille are all black. In the Transporter (panel van, kombi, drop-side), Caravelle Trendline and California Beach the ribs are in matt black. Whereas the Caravelle Comfortline, Multivan (recreational and business van) and the California Comfortline (touring van) all feature black, high gloss ribs, each highlighted with a chrome stripe. The top stripe is visibly extended so that it stretches into the newly designed headlights. Also, for the first time, the newly designed fog lights in the rear bumper will act as static cornering lights as well. The rears of the Caravelle, Multivan and California have changed since the previous versions as they now have new rear lights which are in keeping the current Design DNA.

New driver assist systems and additional standard equipment

Depending on the vehicle’s equipment level, the new models are decked out with new 17" and 18" alloy wheels as well as new exterior mirrors, refined for improved aerodynamics. And for the first time, the exterior mirrors house the entire antenna system. As another ground-breaking feature in this class, the best-selling vehicles are now available with the Side Assist lane change assistant. As seen in the Touareg, this system uses LEDs in the exterior mirrors to warn the driver of any vehicles in the blind spot. What else is new: the tyre monitor display (TMD). The TMD constantly analyses how quickly the tyres are rotating. By comparing the different speeds, the system detects when the tyre pressure has dropped.

More new features: the Multivan Comfortline now comes with 16" alloy wheels. The Multivan Highline is now equipped with new 17" alloy wheels as well as chrome trims on the sides and rear.

The interior which crosses the bridge to passenger vehicles

The models’ interiors have been completely re-worked. Take the instruments for example: With a new design, they are lit in white from behind and highlighted by a chrome frame. Each of the new generation’s models will come with a gear shift recommendation display. The entire collection of radio and navigation systems has also been updated. The new top of the range device is the RNS 510 with touch screen and hard-drive navigation. The optional Dynaudio sound system delivers magnificent concert-hall acoustics. The USB interface, Media-IN, allows you to connect any devices, such as MP3 players, quickly and easily. New features on board are the controls for the semi- and fully-automatic air conditioning systems and the three-spoke steering wheels. Many of the versions have had some additions to their standard equipment. The Multivan Startline has seen some great improvements: for example, compared to the previous model, the new basic model now has a full trim interior and side and curtain airbags for the driver and front passenger. The finished bumper, which comes as standard, highlights the fact that the Startline is a member of the Multivan family.

Last but not least, the Transporter can be ordered with a new double front passenger seat bench which includes an integrated folding stowage compartment. And all this is coming soon: the new generations will be launched in the middle of October.

* = Fuel consumption and emissions levels taken from a closed Transporter with short wheelbase and normal roof

Vehicles
      black 2012 VW Golf
      08-31-2009 11:00 PM #2
      This - not the Routan - is what the (American) people want!

3. 11-27-2009 07:37 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Blue Golfer »

The passenger version shown in photos is ridiculously expensive. Aside from that, it's way too boxy and the interior is too commercial.

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      06-26-2012 11:52 PM #4
      The cost of the van would be high, but so are most mini vans. I am not sure how many of the mini vans sold are base models but there is a significant number that are sold well into the $30k range, approaching the $40k mark. It is common to have a semi-restored Eurovan sell for $35-40k at GoWesty. A guy in Morro Bay dumped $125k into his. I have a Eurovan that is just getting tattered and worn out. I hate to get rid of it because of its practicality and non-minivan appeal. I do wish they would bring over something that would come close to what is available in Europe. I have not even seen anything lately on the Bulli, not that this is near the size of what I desire, but at least it is in the right flavor, better than the current Chryslagen.
      65 Squareback, 09 Tiquan, 08 GTI, 06 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI, 00 Golf TDI, 00 Eurovan MV, 98 Bettle...and a few dozen other air cooled Dubs. Even a few experiements...07 Cooper S, 08 WRX, 06 FX45, 03 FX35, 08 S2000, 06 Z4C, 05 Cooper S Vert (2), 04 Cooper S HT Nissan Cube and on and on, some I would never admit to...

5. 07-06-2012 10:50 AM #5
      VW should have done this years ago instead of buying a damn dodge caravan and re-badgeing it.
      I've always liked the look of the eurovan vs most others that are trying to be cars.

Vehicles
      03 Bora Variant 1.8T, 07 Golf 2.5, 08 Polo 9n3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan S 6mt
      07-10-2012 05:49 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post

The passenger version shown in photos is ridiculously expensive. Aside from that, it's way too boxy and the interior is too commercial.

How you sat in one?

It is a great car all around.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      07-20-2012 04:29 PM #7
      Three years old folks...VW's not going to give us this set of goodies. That's a shame. Our T4 EuroVan is much different than anything else you can buy in the US, but we'd still love to update it. I've seen the newer Transporter body styles while I was in Europe. They're great and we'd be well served to have them here. Routan is just a hopped up Chrysler, but that reminds me of an old saying about lipstick and pigs.

I don't like the teases that we get from VW. Bulli is OK, but it was preceded by an even better retro van that also never made production. Concepts are there to build enthusiasm, but, when the enthusiasm's there, companies still have to weigh out profit potential. Looks like VW didn't see any of these vans as profitable, so didn't go forward. There was a price, though. Disappointment and lost trust hardly enhance the VW brand.

VW aims to be the biggest car company in the world. I hope they can do better than to achieve that with just cheaper Jettas and Passats. Toyota and Honda had to grow native trucks and vans--not re-badged ones--to gain dominance. Let's hope VW execs have enough confidence in VW products to give them a chance to compete.

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      07-23-2012 06:14 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post

If this were manufactured in Tennessee, im sure it would have to potential to be priced in line with what people would expect to pay. Im sure a slight premium for both the badge (Volkswagen AND transporter) and a TDI variant would be relatively easy to swallow.

9. 10-31-2012 08:40 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by v b chil-n View Post
      VW should have done this years ago instead of buying a damn dodge caravan and re-badgeing it.
      I've always liked the look of the eurovan vs most others that are trying to be cars.
      If you remember the Eurovan, then you know VW did offer it years ago. It was expensive, commercial chassis based and didn't sell. I'm not a fan of the Routan either, but is was a relatively inexpensive way to get a more competitive product to market, and it sells better than the Eurovan ever did. My beef with VW is why the hell they ignored the minivan segment during its heyday in the first place. Years without a product in a booming market...

Vehicles
      81 VW Rabbit 1.7L EN 4-speed 020 GP, 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP
      02-14-2013 11:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by TOMPASS View Post
      My beef with VW is why the hell they ignored the minivan segment during its heyday in the first place. Years without a product in a booming market...
      yeah i get tired of seeing those 90's dodge caravans, 2000's ford winstars...

11. 02-15-2013 06:08 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Blue Golfer View Post
      VW offered the Eurovan version this a while back. Sold like cheesesteaks at a Vegan convention. They were (and still are) based on a commercial truck chassis, they were expensive and other than the camper version offered no reason to choose one over the competition. Absolutely no reason to believe this would fare any better. Not bashing it-I did drive one and was rather impressed with its driving dynamics and handling-just doesn't fit well in our market: expensive, huge, and truck based. Which brings me to one of the most frustrating product decision in VW's history: despite building arguably the first passenger van, they offered absolutely nothing during virtually the entire run of the minivan market in this country. While Chrysler, Honda, Toyota and for a time Ford (and a half-hearted attempt by GM) sold virtually every van they could build, VW sat on their corporate butts and missed decades of potential sales, until they finally woke up at the end of the van craze and offered us a rebadged Chrysler-and how many of those did they sell (more than the Eurovan, but that wasn't going to be difficult)

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      03-10-2013 11:37 PM #12
      I sold the EV. I really miss the van but not the steady flow of issues. I just don't have the time to be fixing things every month. I have been beating the internet for a replacement. We currently have a Cube, which is a fraction of the usefulness but was cheap. I do appreciate it is a manual and even six speeds. Oh to have a Eurovan in a manual. Now we are reaching for the stars. I nearly ended up with a Ford Flex. From what I have seen, it is the closest new vehicle. I did drive the new VW van and it is no good. I even ventured into driving a few other mini-vans but just could not pull the trigger. I just noticed the other day that Ford is releasing a passenger version of the Transit Connect that has potential. Not ready till this fall but this one could fit the bill of a multi pupose van. Its the most promising yet, without going to Europe and some how managing to get one of their VW vans to the shores here. This is super cost preventative. So just like everyone else, I just keep hoping that one day I will turn the computer on and see a brilliant van released by VW. The latest 6-passenger SUV is not what I am looking for either.
      65 Squareback, 09 Tiquan, 08 GTI, 06 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI, 00 Golf TDI, 00 Eurovan MV, 98 Bettle...and a few dozen other air cooled Dubs. Even a few experiements...07 Cooper S, 08 WRX, 06 FX45, 03 FX35, 08 S2000, 06 Z4C, 05 Cooper S Vert (2), 04 Cooper S HT Nissan Cube and on and on, some I would never admit to...

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      04-29-2013 09:43 PM #13
      Here is a quote from an article on the upcoming Ford Transit Connect...

The Transit Connect carries the same sort of commercial-vehicle vibe as did the big, stern-looking Volkswagen Vanagon/Eurovan.

The article can be found here...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      05-10-2013 10:10 PM #14
      Is it even possible to import a used VW California? Has anyone ever tried it, succeeded at it or know where to go to find out how legit this option may be? I am getting frustrated on this one. There are plenty of other VW Europe only models I would love to have stateside but most have pretty good comparables. The market has nothing to compare to these vans...