Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How much does it cost to fix a sunroof?

1. 08-02-2002 09:55 PM #1
      I'm taking my car in to the dealer in a couple of days to get the sunroof fixed. How much do you guys think it will cost me?

2. 08-02-2002 10:04 PM #2
      Alot more than it should. Here's what I would do.

Duct tape existing roof shut

Start combing junkyards for 93 B3 Passat glass moon roofs

Spend $200 for B3 Passat moon roof, replace.

Save yourself alot of money and frustration with the stealer.

3. 08-02-2002 10:12 PM #3
      Any good online parts places one could recommend?

4. 08-02-2002 10:14 PM #4
      Dont waste your money having someone fix it for you. Its not hard to fix, it just takes time. I decided not to try the moonroof and just tried to fix the sunroof I had and after waiting for 3 different parts to be ordered I finally have it fixed and it only cost me $150. The shop I take my car to wanted around $500 to fix it.

Vehicles
      92 gti 3.0T
      08-03-2002 09:52 AM #5
      you could buy my sunroof assembly for 100.00 and put it in yourself

everything works 100% all you have to do is bolt it in.

****** SHOPPING FOR INSURANCE IN VA MD or NC? EMAIL ME FOR A COMPETITIVE QUOTE ******
      AUTO - HOME - LIFE - BUSINESS - HEALTH

jrichardson@priagency.com

6. 02-10-2003 02:09 PM #6
      your sunroof kit. what does it include. thanks

7. 02-10-2003 03:16 PM #7
      quote:
      Dont waste your money having someone fix it for you. Its not hard to fix, it just takes time. I decided not to try the moonroof and just tried to fix the sunroof I had and after waiting for 3 different parts to be ordered I finally have it fixed and it only cost me $150. The shop I take my car to wanted around $500 to fix it.

RDV_Corrado... How did you fix it your self, i need a project and I want to do that. The only thing that is broken on mine is that track piece on the left side, its cracked down the middle. Do you know what parts i need and stuff... or where i can find out how to fix it... Thanks man

8. 02-10-2003 03:19 PM #8
      quote:
      RDV_Corrado... How did you fix it your self, i need a project and I want to do that. The only thing that is broken on mine is that track piece on the left side, its cracked down the middle. Do you know what parts i need and stuff... or where i can find out how to fix it... Thanks man

Never mind, its like 3 threads down.

9. 02-10-2003 05:45 PM #9
      Does it do any good to fix the existing sunroof?Will it just break again or no?I would like to just fix the one i have but if its oing to break in a year or so whats the point.What ll do you need to fix it?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      02-10-2003 06:03 PM #10
      What's wrong with the sunroof?

I remember when I inquired about what it would cost to fix mine (some minor scratching on the outside panel) they quoted upwards of $1000 and they wanted to replace almost everything. No, they will kill you at the dealer.

If the motor is busted, buy a used one

If the tracks are screwed up, buy a used one

If the mechanical parts/bushings are worn out, then buy the repair kit. I bought mine at the dealer, though other places might sell it.

11. 02-10-2003 06:10 PM #11
      Not sure what it is yet.i'm still working on my passenger door that wont go all the way up and i'm having enough problems with this.

But as for the sunroof at this point all i know is that it does not slide open at all but the back part does flip up.so i'm guessing its not the motor

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      02-10-2003 06:19 PM #12
      You'd probably be better off trying to do it yourself. This seems to be a very common with Corrado's so someone here has to know the exact fix. Unfortunately, I don't recall what the solution was. I *think* you can buy the repair kit for both sides of the sunroof and it should take care of it. However, as others have said, you can definitely go the passat moonroof path.

Did you look on the CCA website, there are a couple of sunroof FAQ's as I recall.

[Modified by 6cylVWguy, 6:20 PM 2-10-2003]

Vehicles
      93 SLC, 07 Legacy GT, 93 YJ
      02-10-2003 08:10 PM #13
      if its the tracks that are busted, i think the replacment parts have been updated. not for sure though. expect to pay at least 300$ to have someone do it.

14. 02-10-2003 08:32 PM #14
      how much is the kit for it if i were to do it myself

15. 02-10-2003 08:34 PM #15
      Please read this post, it's not a cheap promo for any other reason than it is a great solution. Call 1-800-VW-PARTS, ask for Eric, tell him "Joe with the blue Corrado" told you to call, he is normally a dealer only vendor, but will hook you up, as he is into Corrados too (he has like 4 of em...) Anyhow, tell him you need a sunroof track with updated sliders. He sells you a "like new" track with updated sliders that work with the OEM roof section. Its like 225-250, and he guaruntees em, he assembles em and ships them out same day (if they are made up and in stock). Go get the hook up!! Eric rocks. But they are always VERY BUSY, so be preparred to hold for a while. Good luck.

-Joe

Vehicles
      1994 Corrado
      02-10-2003 09:13 PM #16
      Do a search. I've posted at least two or three threads in the past containing part numbers,and sources A description of what breaks and why, and how to prevent it from happening again. It's pretty long and i'm not really up to doing it again. We need a sunroof sticky thread...
      I do not understand why some coupes make the grade and others do not. Everyone knows, for instance, that the Corrado was as tasty as an East End prize fighter with the looks of a Benetti super-yacht. The four-cylinder was good, but the VR6 was about as close as you could get to Ferraridom without buying a Ferrari. And what happened? You all went to the pub instead. -Jeremy Clarkson-

Vehicles
      v10 touareg, WCM Ultralite
      02-11-2003 12:16 AM #17
      its funny but the part that brakes.... is only 70$ at the dealer last i checked..
      I BUY BROKEN AND CRASHED MK4 TDI (DIESEL) VW'S. IF YOU HAVE ONE, OR KNOW OF ONE, PLEASE CONTACT ME HERE VIA PM