Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: camshaft position sensor for a 97 jetta

1. Junior Member
      Hampton, VA (claim arkansas as I'm Military)
      Vehicles
      2010 Honda Civic, (best cars in the world.), 92 gti 8v
      08-28-2009 01:24 AM #1
      I am at a loss. I own a 97 jetta jls with the stock 2.0 in it. The car is a 5 speed with 110k miles on it. My check engine light keeps coming on. Every time i run it it comes up as a "camshaft position sensor." I went to the dealer to see how much the part was and after about 20 minutes the mechanic comes out and says that my car's year/model was never built with a camshaft position sensor. I take it back to autozone to have the codes read again and the guy says that the car has a sensor and that the dealers are stupid. He then goes to make up a bs story about how the sensor is built into the distributor . In the process he questioned if i was sure that the car was a 97 the point of checking the make tag in the door. He then procedes to say that the problem could be related to my o2 sensor or the o2 sensor's relationship to the sensor in the distributor. Im completely at a loss. The code comes up as the camshaft position sensor but according to two dealers the car was never made with one. help me out!

Vehicles
      1943 Flugkreisel, 1945 VRIL-7
      08-28-2009 01:53 AM #2
      Quote, originally posted by jake_9685 »
      I am at a loss. I own a 97 jetta jls with the stock 2.0 in it. The car is a 5 speed with 110k miles on it. My check engine light keeps coming on. Every time i run it it comes up as a "camshaft position sensor." I went to the dealer to see how much the part was and after about 20 minutes the mechanic comes out and says that my car's year/model was never built with a camshaft position sensor. I take it back to autozone to have the codes read again and the guy says that the car has a sensor and that the dealers are stupid. He then goes to make up a bs story about how the sensor is built into the distributor . In the process he questioned if i was sure that the car was a 97 the point of checking the make tag in the door. He then procedes to say that the problem could be related to my o2 sensor or the o2 sensor's relationship to the sensor in the distributor. Im completely at a loss. The code comes up as the camshaft position sensor but according to two dealers the car was never made with one. help me out!

The cam position sensor is the hall sensor in the distributor. If you remove the cap and rotor, you will see only 1 trigger window in that trigger wheel.

That is because the distributor is used as a cam position sensor.

The Bentley manual tells you how to check it using a multi-meter. If the test is ok, and the wiring is ok, the problem is the ECU (must replace it).

http://www.bentleypublishers.c....html

The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

3. 08-28-2009 01:57 AM #3
      my 99 jetta does the same thing. i think its a vw thing. just like a million other things.

4. Junior Member
      Hampton, VA (claim arkansas as I'm Military)
      Vehicles
      2010 Honda Civic, (best cars in the world.), 92 gti 8v
      08-28-2009 10:48 AM #4
      how much would the part cost? I am having a hard time finding decent websites that carries a wide variety of parts for my car.

Vehicles
      1943 Flugkreisel, 1945 VRIL-7
      08-28-2009 01:09 PM #5
      You can purchase a new distributor and call it a day.

You can punch out the roll pin at the gear, slide out the shaft with trigger wheel, then you'll see the hall sender. Replace the hall sender, reassemble and install a new roll pin.

Part # 037 905 205T Distributor. Dealer $200-255.

Aftermarket from $175 and much less on ebay (be sure it has the same part #).

Hall sender below.
      http://www.partsgeek.com/parts/impulse_sender.html

Modified by Eric D at 9:39 AM 8-28-2009

The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

6. 08-28-2009 01:31 PM #6
      If its the sensor thats crap, then its gonna trigger the P0341 code and it wont go away.

When's the last time your timing belt was replaced? If your timing belt is old and stretched, that will throw the distributor timing off enough to put the distributor rotor out of phase to the hall window (which is what triggers the P0341 CEL in the first place). Timing belts get services every 60k miles. Get it done.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '74 Bug (yard), '96 Jetta 255K (yard), '02 Cabrio 104K (sold), '06 Rabbit 127K BGP, '08 Jetta 55K
      08-28-2009 07:30 PM #7
      Search camshaft position sensor and read a little bit. You need to educate yourself before talking to the knuckleheads at the dealer or parts store. This issue comes up nearly once a day on this forum.

Modified by FL 2.0L at 10:05 PM 8-28-2009

Vehicles
      96 Jetta GL, 98 Jetta Wolfsburg
      08-28-2009 09:34 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »
      If its the sensor thats crap, then its gonna trigger the P0341 code and it wont go away.

Could that be a OBDI and OBDII difference? As my cam sensor blink code did come and go and since I've changed the distributor I've had no problems. I did use your DIY and found the timing was good and I got a distributor from a yard and no CEL for about 5 months.

Vehicles
      1978 beetle, H-D FXR
      08-30-2009 07:50 PM #9
      honestly 99% of the time that code is due to timing being slightly more than a MCH (metric c*nt hair) off I have seen many instances where someone that knows the sound of an 8v motor can manually adjust the dizzy and your code is gone.