Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen of America Announces Extensive DSG Customer Service Program

1. 09-08-2009 07:02 PM #76
      Called the Audi hotline on the press release and spoke to Antoine.
      Gave him my vin, he know all about the dsg recall and that the parameters haven't been released yet. He asked if I was experienced symtoms and I gave my run down. He took my number and said he would schedule a call back and let me know thursday or friday when he finds out. He was very helpfull, so we'll see what happens.
      *** Update***
      I deposited my car for service today and told the service rep about my problems, the mech-u service program, gave him my log of problems I had kept...
      After they diagnosed it he called me and said that they did a reset of all the values in the Mech-u. They also check my temp sensor and declared it "ok". I asked if he knew anything more about the mech-u recall that isn't a recall and gave me an interesting explanation:
      He said Audi and VW will issue a re-call and sometimes the first they hear about it is in the news. Sometimes they will get a notice and a shipment of parts to deal with an issue and then VW/Audi will send out letters to vehicle owners and it all works out smoothly. Other times a customer will show up with a letter and they will be completely blindsided and not know about the recall and have no parts on hand to deal.
      What I got is that patience is a virtue and I'm thinking we wont get any word of true action until VW/Audi can confirm they have enough mech-u's to smoothly cover this action, but this has most likely already been mentioned here.
      Also he said they have 2 a3's in the shop now and 1 has been waiting 6 weeks now for a new Mech-u (that old chestnut)
      Anyway, just thought I would share my experience. Hopefully all my car needed was a re-set, but I think I will be in the exact same situation in a few hundred or thousand miles.
      ***Update*** Got the promised call back. Still no word if my particular vin is in the dsg customer service program. they will call me again Thursday with any other info they might have.
      ***Update again*** They just called back and said their is a campaign
      'J8' available for my car and that I just need to schedule a service with a dealer and they'll replace the Mech unit.
      Modified by Zintradi at 11:29 AM 9-9-2009

Modified by Zintradi at 9:47 AM 9-14-2009

Modified by Zintradi at 9:59 AM 9-14-2009

Vehicles
      A4 2002 - A4q 2011 more cars too
      09-08-2009 10:55 PM #77
      What specifically is the "performance" issue that is being referenced in this action?
      Clunking?
      Jerkiness?
      Manual mode delay
      Automatic mode not downshifting - then bang! into first or second and wheelspin?

3. 09-09-2009 02:08 AM #78
      Does vw even make mkv gti's with regular automatic transmissions??

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      09-09-2009 11:27 AM #79
      Quote, originally posted by rokezekiel »
      Does vw even make mkv gti's with regular automatic transmissions??

no
      "There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      09-09-2009 11:54 AM #80
      Quote, originally posted by logicallychallenged »
      What specifically is the "performance" issue that is being referenced in this action?
      Clunking?
      Jerkiness?
      Manual mode delay
      Automatic mode not downshifting - then bang! into first or second and wheelspin?

Well I'm sure you know about the flashing dash "false neutral" syndrome already.. I hope. The other is more complicated and it appears to be mostly related to malfunctioning Mechatronic Units. Depending on the solenoid or pair of them that fail within the MU, all kinds of differing symptoms have been reported. You've listed them very well. But as the MU becomes worse, those symptoms do as well.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      toaster, frs
      09-10-2009 04:40 PM #81
      Just called in the vw number, got a lady who was very cheery and helpful, also was aware of the "customer satisfaction program".
      100k dsg warranty for me.
      Quote Originally Posted by GLImedwin View Post
      If you're over 30 and have a Volkswagen you haven't accomplished chit in life. Lol can't afford a audi
      Quote Originally Posted by MK6Medwin
      im trying to go for an audi s4 look on my GLI.

Vehicles
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Volvo 240 5MT
      09-10-2009 07:44 PM #82
      somebody from VW left me a voicemail that VW has determined the VIN parameters and my car is covered.

8. 09-10-2009 09:32 PM #83
      I just checked the VW website for recalls etc on my 2008 Jetta. Can anyone tell me if this is for the the DSG issues?

DATE 2009-06-24
      ID 40J2
      DESCRIPTION - A-40J2 Safety Recall S4: Inspect and, If Necessary, Replace

2004 - Porsche 911 - 40th Anniversary Coupe
      2006 - VW Touareg V10 TDI
      2008 - VW Jetta Wolfsburg
      ------------------------------------
      Previous: 99' CLK430 Coupe - 01' GS430 - 04' A41.8T - 05' V8 Touareg - 01' Jetta GLS

Vehicles
      09-10-2009 10:02 PM #84
      Quote, originally posted by ryangambrill »
      I just checked the VW website for recalls etc on my 2008 Jetta. Can anyone tell me if this is for the the DSG issues?

DATE 2009-06-24
      ID 40J2
      DESCRIPTION - A-40J2 Safety Recall S4: Inspect and, If Necessary, Replace

Yes it is. There is one Safety Recall on a faulty temp. sensor, and a special service program (Soon to be called Safety Recall #2 code named VW-S8) for the DSG's Mechatronic Module failure.
      Call VW's hotline.

10. 09-10-2009 10:05 PM #85
      Quote, originally posted by VWRedux »

Yes it is. There is one Safety Recall on a faulty temp. sensor, and a special service program (Soon to be called Safety Recall #2 code named VW-S8) for the DSG's Mechatronic Module failure.
      Call VW's hotline.

Is that ID for the temp sensor or for the special service program (Mech Unit)?
      If I am correct, I should eventually see two separate recall ID's?
      2004 - Porsche 911 - 40th Anniversary Coupe
      2006 - VW Touareg V10 TDI
      2008 - VW Jetta Wolfsburg
      ------------------------------------
      Previous: 99' CLK430 Coupe - 01' GS430 - 04' A41.8T - 05' V8 Touareg - 01' Jetta GLS

Vehicles
      2015 X1 x28i
      09-10-2009 10:07 PM #86
      Quote, originally posted by utekineir »
      Just called in the vw number, got a lady who was very cheery and helpful, also was aware of the "customer satisfaction program".
      100k dsg warranty for me.

What year/model?
      you go numb in the numb in the teeth trying to chew that much salary

Vehicles
      09-10-2009 10:43 PM #87
      Quote, originally posted by ryangambrill »
      Is that ID for the temp sensor or for the special service program (Mech Unit)?
      If I am correct, I should eventually see two separate recall ID's?

HERE ARE THE VIN #'S FOR THE SAFETY RECALLS ONLY. I HAVE NOT SEEN THE VIN RANGE FOR THE DSG/MECH.U. SPECIAL SERVICE PROGRAM. HOWEVER, I HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THIS PROGRAM WILL SOON BE A SAFETY RECALL AS WELL... CODE NAMED VW-S8.
      I stand corrected with what I said just above.... the NHTSA/VW Safety Recall 40J2/S4 was initiated back in late May of this year for faulty inner axle bolts that were known to fall out because they were not torqued properly during manufacture. It is NOT the recall on the temp. sensor. Here is the official recall document along with affected cars and VIN #'s:
      http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa....9.pdf
      Here is the Temp.Sensor and Temp Sensor wiring harness Safety Recall... it has no code number but here are the affected VIN #'s:
      http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa....4.pdf
      And here's NHTSA's reply:
      http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa....8.pdf
      When I get more, I'll post it. Stay tuned.

Modified by VWRedux at 10:45 PM 9-10-2009

13. Member
      Vehicles
      toaster, frs
      09-11-2009 12:10 AM #88
      Quote, originally posted by improvius »
      What year/model?

07 gti
      If you're over 30 and have a Volkswagen you haven't accomplished chit in life. Lol can't afford a audi

Vehicles
      2015 X1 x28i
      09-11-2009 01:16 AM #89
      Quote, originally posted by utekineir »
      07 gti

So some 2007 GTIs are covered, some are not. Hmm, what's the build date on yours?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      toaster, frs
      09-11-2009 09:45 AM #90
      04/07

Vehicles
      2015 X1 x28i
      09-11-2009 10:10 AM #91
      So far for the 2007 GTI build dates we have:
      11/06 NOT covered
      1/07 NOT covered
      4/07 COVERED
      Interesting. I'd like to see some more data points here. I'll go make a post in the MkV forum and see if I can get some other owners to check.

17. 09-11-2009 10:18 AM #92
      I'm wondering if a 3 month difference in a build date will really make that big of a difference...

Vehicles
      2015 X1 x28i
      09-11-2009 10:29 AM #93
      Quote, originally posted by rokezekiel »
      I'm wondering if a 3 month difference in a build date will really make that big of a difference...

Well, VW is drawing some sort of line here. It could be the difference between a "good batch" and "bad batch" of mechatronics units, or it could be totally arbitrary. If we get more data points and don't see a clear cutoff point in build dates, I would be more inclined to think that the criteria for the extended warranty is arbitrary.

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 10:39 AM #94
      Quote, originally posted by improvius »
      Well, VW is drawing some sort of line here. It could be the difference between a "good batch" and "bad batch" of mechatronics units, or it could be totally arbitrary. If we get more data points and don't see a clear cutoff point in build dates, I would be more inclined to think that the criteria for the extended warranty is arbitrary.

Can I make a suggestion here? When you call VW's hot-line and they either give you the [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] or the [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] regarding your extended DSG warranty, request the ENTIRE VIN RANGE for the model year you're calling about. Just say you have many friends on Vortex that wish to know?
      If they refuse... chances are the complete VIN range is yet NOT KNOWN, and is most likely changing and growing as NHTSA's investigation progresses.

20. Member
      09-11-2009 11:32 AM #95
      VW indicates less than 1% of the recalled vehicles are affected by the issue. That means if everybody that has the loose crimp encountered the issue and reported it to NHTSA, then there should have been at most 150 complaints filed. So what gives?

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 12:37 PM #96
      Quote, originally posted by LWNY »
      VW indicates less than 1% of the recalled vehicles are affected by the issue. That means if everybody that has the loose crimp encountered the issue and reported it to NHTSA, then there should have been at most 150 complaints filed. So what gives?

They lied! Everyone sees that, can you?

22. Member
      09-11-2009 04:56 PM #97
      This is a letter to NHTSA, not some press release. So it is not a matter of creating hype. They will have to be accountable for what they say in that letter.

Vehicles
      09-11-2009 05:16 PM #98
      Quote, originally posted by LWNY »
      This is a letter to NHTSA, not some press release. So it is not a matter of creating hype. They will have to be accountable for what they say in that letter.

No hype... You're referring to this part right?
      "573.6 (c) (4)
      Percentage of Vehicles Actually Containing Defect Volkswagen estimates that less than 1% of affected vehicles contain the defect."
      You did the math yourself and then questioned it. Something indeed isn't right with VW's claim. 1% of 16,000 is only 160 cars. VW claims in their letter that it's even less than this. By examining just the number of complaints that NHTSA has received in the last few weeks, it's not right and they will be held accountable.

Modified by VWRedux at 9:19 AM 9-12-2009

24. 09-11-2009 10:30 PM #99
      Quote, originally posted by VWRedux »
      "573.6 (c) (4)
      Percentage of Vehicles Actually Containing Defect Volkswagen estimates that less than 1% of affected vehicles contain the defect."
      You did the math yourself and then questioned it. Something indeed isn't right with VW's claim. 10% of 16,000 is only 160 cars. VW claims in their letter that it's even less than this. By examining just the number of complaints that NHTSA has received in the last few weeks, it's not right and they will be held accountable.

10% of 16000 is 1600, not 160. 160 would be 1%. How many complaints have been filed about the temp sensor? The letter you posted in your other thread only indicated there were 23 reports of the unexpected nuetral as of the time of that letter correct? That would seem to match the under 1% indicated here right?

Modified by Herman Merman at 9:40 PM 9-11-2009

Vehicles
      09-12-2009 09:42 AM #100
      Thanks for catching my typo error... but as far as the true number of overall DSG complaint reports to the Feds, it is now over 320 something... I'm told at one point they were coming in at around 12 per day, the highest level they have seen in a long time. But false neutral reports where the dash flashes and the car is stuck in "N", only VW and NHTSA officials have that real answer. (Especially since VW is now required to provide NHTSA with all of their service and warranty records.)
      However, as I was looking for data for what happened to my sons car, the service managers at three Washington DC area dealerships each boasted that they had repaired nearly 40 temp. sensors in a 6 month period... each! That either means one of two things, that these WashDC area dealerships got all the bad sensor cars, or VW's estimate is wrong..... way wrong.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast