Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen of America Announces Extensive DSG Customer Service Program

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      09-12-2009 11:31 PM #106
      Quote, originally posted by TDIfor4 »

NO!!!
      AS of my last frustrating conversation with VW Canada on Sept. 10, the Mechatronics unit "Customer Service Program" is NOT, I repeat, IS NOT presently slated to come to Canada. Who knows, it may change over time and it may take pressure on VW Canada from Canadian members of this forum to make that happen.

VW Canada has confirmed the recall on the faulty temp. sensor - you won't see this yet posted on Transport Canada's website but a Transport Canada rep. did confirm to me that 2700 DSG equipped vehicles in Canada would be included in this portion of the announced planned repairs.

As for why Canada is left out with respect to the M.U. program, the VW Canada reps expected me to believe that somehow only Mechatronics units for U.S. built vehicles are affected, and that magically all those built for Canada were not. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you, VW!!!

Hey TDIfor4,

Crap!... I feared this might be going on.. inaccurate and conflicting information flying around. Either you or I have been given the run around.... but I fear it wasn't you. Can you please IM me with the names of those you spoke with at VWoC who told you this bit of information? This is not what I was led to believe here in the States by VWoA and NHTSA representatives... at each step of the way, I was assured that the MU/warranty extension would include Canada. Something really smells here? I may have been deliberately misled or it still hasn't been made official.

I'm only as good as the information I'm given. So please allow me to apologize to anyone who may have had their hopes dashed by this if true. I will call my contacts on Monday to see what's up. Maybe you all up north can get on the horn and raise a little hell with VWoC too next week!

Plus you're right, Canadian and USA bound DSG Jettas were made on the same line down in Mexico. So why would there be any difference with the DSG supply from the same plant in Germany? Both US and Can DSG's have the same part numbers, same specs, and even the same gear ratios, etc. Since the faulty DSG temp. sensors were found to be installed on DSG's in both countries, why would the DSG/MU's themselves be any different?

Maybe VWAG is trying to confuse the situation? Maybe the DSG's are indeed different as they claim but Canadian DSG VW's are reporting Temp. Sensor and MU failures too! Something doesn't make sense. Why would they leave out Canada?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Modified by VWRedux at 1:31 AM 9-13-2009

"There's nothing like a well tuned car on an open road". Paul Newman
      *The New 2011 VW Jetta... At Least You Pay Less To Get Less!*

Vehicles
      '08 GLI
      09-13-2009 10:31 AM #107
      Okay...so 'utekineir' has an 07 GTI with a build date of 04/07, and 'ronan1' has an 08 GTI with a build date of 12/07.

I am smack in the middle of these two with an 08 GTI with a build date of 09/07. I will report back after I call VW tomorrow.

I find it highly suspicious that somehow Canadian cars were not designed with faulty mech units. Not possible unless VW uses a completely different supplier, and even then...

I have a feeling the program will extend into Canada in due time.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      09-14-2009 11:06 AM #108
      Just got off the phone with CC and my car IS covered by the 10yr/100k mile warranty. It was built in Feb of 08. To me it really doesnt matter since it is leased but for the next guy who buys my car he/she will have some peace of mind!

Now, who wants to guess if the Mech unit in my new trans will be replaced under this "recall" info coming out??? It has been running great for the last 3000 miles, no hickups what so ever.

Vehicles
      '08 GLI
      09-14-2009 03:54 PM #109
      Just called and I'm covered.

5. 09-15-2009 11:27 AM #110
      Following is a repost I made on the mk5 .:R forum. This DSG topis has gone dead there. Can anyone enlighten me regarding the service item(S) includeded with a MU replacement (see below).
      Thanks
      I made the call today. Spoke with Juan, who was very courteous and seemed to be well informed. My .:R is included (10/07 build), so I get the 100k extension. While I had him on the phone, I did some fishing to try to figure out if I might benefit from a free maintenance service along with the replacement. Like fluid/filter change. He didn't have specifics, but mentioned that VW was going to send service depts instructions outlining a "less invasive" install procedure for the mechatronic replacement. Maybe they've come up with a way to swap it out without having to replace any of the service stuff.
      I remember some here mentioning the likelihood of this free service, but I don't understand enough about DSG to even guess whether a MU replacement should require fresh fluids, etc.
      Anyone?
      Anyway, I'm happy to have the peace of mind having extended coverage.
      chuck

Vehicles
      Started NHTSA DSG Campaign/'09WolfieDSG died@623mi. VW took it back.Bought MkVI/GTI Blk 6spMT/SR/Xen
      09-15-2009 12:09 PM #111
      Quote, originally posted by BACK2VW »
      My .:R is included (10/07 build), so I get the 100k extension. While I had him on the phone, I did some fishing to try to figure out if I might benefit from a free maintenance service along with the replacement. Like fluid/filter change. He didn't have specifics, but mentioned that VW was going to send service depts instructions outlining a "less invasive" install procedure for the mechatronic replacement. Maybe they've come up with a way to swap it out without having to replace any of the service stuff.

If VW has come up with a way to swap out the MU without replacing the fluid/filter as well, then it's nothing more than a cost saving procedure. Do they intend to just top off the oil like it's a MT or just some other kind of slushbox? I don't believe that's a good idea. Depending on the age of the car and how much dirt and grime is on the DSG, removing the MU can allow dirt, sand and other contaminants to enter the tranny. The entire area around the MU must be cleaned properly and blown off BEFORE it's removed.

A new filter and oil change is recommended in the VW Shop Manual when either the MU is removed or replaced. Insist on it.

I'm guessing Juan was not that well informed.

7. 09-15-2009 12:25 PM #112
      Maybe I was unclear. He did not say that fluids or filter would not be replaced. Only that VW was working on this streamlined, less invasive install method, which I guess makes sense if they are going to be doing this 50k+ times.
      I posted the question to you guys about the fluid & filter stuff simply because I don't know what's involved in the replacement.
      So..blame me for not being expert on the mechanics of DSG service, but do we really have to slam every VW rep even when they are trying to help?

Vehicles
      09-15-2009 12:48 PM #113
      No one slamming Juan... like you said, you were just unclear... Trust me, if you were to call around to your local VW service centers to ask how many MU's they have replaced thus far to date... I'd use the one who has the greater number of replacements under their belt. Regardless of what VW's service memo says... these guys don't want any call backs, they'll do it the way they know will work.

Modified by VWRedux at 11:51 AM 9-15-2009

9. Member
      09-15-2009 01:05 PM #114
      Maybe they are doing it via a software procedure like if they receive a temp sensor reading, check sensor history to see if the increase was a spike or gradually went up, and if a spike in reading, reset sensor or increase voltage to it to re-establish connectivity, while monitor other factors to see if any of those readings have changed. Heck, they do that all the time with space probes where one component starts to become flaky and the reprogram the whole probe to be wary of that component's readings.

This way, no re-crimping or need to take out MU.

10. 09-15-2009 01:11 PM #115
      Called the number... My 07 GTI is NOT covered apparently. I don't know the build date, however. The lady was less than helpful, she seemed relatively uninformed about the situation.

Thinking about selling my car soon and getting out of a VW... There's clearly an issue here with many of the cars and if I don't have confidence in my car then it's useless to me.

Vehicles
      2007 Fahrenheit GTI
      09-15-2009 01:15 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by kerosenec4 »
      Called the number... My 07 GTI is NOT covered apparently. I don't know the build date, however. The lady was less than helpful, she seemed relatively uninformed about the situation.

Thinking about selling my car soon and getting out of a VW... There's clearly an issue here with many of the cars and if I don't have confidence in my car then it's useless to me.

The build date is printed inside the driver's door frame. Just open your door and you'll see it.

12. 09-15-2009 01:57 PM #117
      I just called VW. I have a build date of 5/08. They are saying that my vehicle is NOT covered. The person did not seem to have very much knowledge of this program.

Anyone have ideas of what I should do now?

2004 - Porsche 911 - 40th Anniversary Coupe
      2006 - VW Touareg V10 TDI
      2008 - VW Jetta Wolfsburg
      ------------------------------------
      Previous: 99' CLK430 Coupe - 01' GS430 - 04' A41.8T - 05' V8 Touareg - 01' Jetta GLS

Vehicles
      2007 Fahrenheit GTI
      09-15-2009 01:59 PM #118
      Quote, originally posted by ryangambrill »
      I just called VW. I have a build date of 5/08. They are saying that my vehicle is NOT covered. The person did not seem to have very much knowledge of this program.

Wow, I think this is the first 08 we've seen that wasn't covered. Maybe you should call back and see if you can get a different person to check.

Vehicles
      2012 VW Jetta SE
      09-15-2009 04:40 PM #119
      Quote, originally posted by ryangambrill »

Wow, thats very odd Ryan...how the heck can mine be covered when it was built 02/08 and yours was built 3 months later??? You were just talking to a misinformed csr. There is nothing we really have to do, its all built into their system. For what my csr said is that we are going to be receiving something in the mail stating what we should do next. Funny thing is that I called my dealer and left my service guy a detailed message. He called me back and stated that the "recall" I was referring to was "only affecting 09 and 10 cars"...geezuz man I did not just explain in my message the flippin' Temp Sensor recall!!! The dealers dont even know anything about it yet...

15. 09-15-2009 05:37 PM #120
      Just got a call saying that my car is not covered in the 10yr/100000mi extended warranty. It is affected in the temp sensor recall, though. My car's build date is 12/08.

Vehicles
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Volvo 240 5MT
      09-15-2009 07:16 PM #121
      Finally getting M.U replaced, after force from VWoA to my dealer. Est. wait time, 4 weeks.

Vehicles
      09-15-2009 07:46 PM #122
      Yes I agree, some VW reps at that number are indeed worthless.... some don't even know the difference between the Safety Recall for the Temperature Sensor and the Special Service Program for the DSG. (This DSG Special Service Program replaces your MU and increases your warranty to 10 yrs., 100,000 miles) These two issues should never be confused. The DSG Special Service Program is NOT a Safety Recall, not yet anyway so please don't mention the words "Safety Recall" when you're inquiring about the MU and the extended warranty. This will confuse them.

HERE'S SOME IDEAS

1) Next time you're on the phone with VW... get the first name of the customer rep you're speaking with and post it here. Rate them as to their knowledge. After a while we'll get to know the names of the reps who do know what they are talking about and those that do not. So when we do call VW, we'll know who to ask for.

2) Ask for the VIN range that covers the Safety Recall as well as the DSG Special Service Program. Remember, these are two separate issues that will have two separate VIN ranges.

18. 09-15-2009 11:20 PM #123
      Quote, originally posted by GoQuattro20T »
      Just got a call saying that my car is not covered in the 10yr/100000mi extended warranty. It is affected in the temp sensor recall, though. My car's build date is 12/08.

If it is in the recall, it should be covered by the warranty. From their press release:
      The company will extend its New Vehicle Limited Warranty to cover the DSG(® )transmissions affected by the customer service program and the voluntary safety recall.

Vehicles
      09-15-2009 11:53 PM #124
      Quote, originally posted by 09JSWTDI »

If it is in the recall, it should be covered by the warranty. From their press release:
      The company will extend its New Vehicle Limited Warranty to cover the DSG(® )transmissions affected by the customer service program and the voluntary safety recall.

Man, you are 110% correct..... this whole warranty offer from VWoA is starting to look like total bogus bull turd. This must be the tenth time I've read this happening in the last day or so.

Most certainly those who have had their car recalled due to the faulty temp. sensor are entitled under the provisions of Mr. Jacoby's statement to have their DSG warranty extended to the promised amount of 10 years, 100,000 miles.

Those who have had this happen to them should contact their State's Attorney Generals Office ASAP and report VW for denying this extension to you.

If you have either been given the or by VW, please go take the poll! It will be up soon. Thanks..

Modified by VWRedux at 11:21 PM 9-15-2009

20. 09-16-2009 04:36 PM #125
      The Audi customer associate told me that the extended warranty is granted to vehicles affected by MU recall, not temp sensor recall. Hmmmm

Vehicles
      09-16-2009 04:46 PM #126
      The Audi customer associate told me that the extended warranty is granted to vehicles affected by MU recall, not temp sensor recall. Hmmmm

According their boss, Mr. Jacoby, they are 100% WRONG. Read the press release for yourself. http://media.vw.com/index.php?s=43&item=491 Read it to them on the phone too. It clearly says that if your DSG was part of either the Voluntary Safety Recall (Faulty Temp. Sensor) or the MU Special Service Program, your car will get the extended warranty.

I would raise hell and soon! Don't forget to vote in the "warranty poll" in this forum.

22. 09-16-2009 05:36 PM #127
      I did read that out. Still, she said that there are two recall campaigns. Only the MU recall one is granted for extended warranty....

I took the poll.

Vehicles
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Volvo 240 5MT
      09-16-2009 06:57 PM #128
      Breaking News:

The estimated time for M.Us to reach the USA and be ready to install is approximately TWO WEEKS as of YESTERDAY, the 16th. The day before, the 15th, the est. wait time was four weeks.

This was told to me by Pete Nardoni, the regional case manager in my area, who is a great person to speak to. He is really on top of things and seemed to really care about everything, unlike my dealer!! He also said that at if any point the vehicle becomes unsafe to drive, VWoA will make arrangements to get a loaner or rental, no questions asked.

People in IL/Chicago who are having problems should contact VW Cust. Care and ask to be connected with Pete Nardoni.

Vehicles
      09-16-2009 07:12 PM #129
      I did read that out. Still, she said that there are two recall campaigns. Only the MU recall one is granted for extended warranty....

I took the poll.

She's wrong and every other agent there who is saying this. So don't fret... I just got off the phone with VW headquarters in Herndon Va. They are calling VW Customer Care as we speak to set them straight. .... hopefully.....

Modified by VWRedux at 6:17 PM 9-16-2009

25. 09-17-2009 12:39 AM #130

I am also having similar issues with VW Canada.

I had my temperature sensor replaced on August 1. This was done only after the fourth "flash of death." These flashes were preceeded by lurching and the transmission doing other abnormal shifts. I refused to take the car back until they fixed it because it did the flash and neutral thing twice on a 20-km trip.

Now, I am having the same issues with lurching that I had before the flashing started. I am having a hell of time driving this car in city traffic, because I never know if I will have power or not. It is to the point again that I refuse to let my wife drive it. I am sick of taking it to the dealer.

I had driven the car across North America for a family vacation in July, and got stranded 5000kms from home with transmission issues. VW Canada was not very helpful, and have not even re-imbursed me for my rental cars. My Car was fixed only after the threat of billing VW Canada for my air fare and car shipping costs if they didn't fix my car in time for me to return to work.

They were prepared to leave me stranded for weeks waiting for the part!

After I informed them of this threat and that I was 5000 km from home, the part arrived in a few days.

I too called VW Canada and asked about the extended warranty, they said that they knew nothing about it. They also said they were unaware of any initiative in Canada.

I am totally frustrated, I am stuck with this car and sold my '05 Toyota Matrix to get it. I had no issues with my Matrix, but really wanted a diesel. Now, I am paying the price. Every time someone comments on how good my Jetta Wagon looks (which they do often), I warn them of what it is like to own a VW.

When my power train warranty runs out in 2 1/2 years this car is gone, I think I would lose to much if I traded it in now.

-A frustrated Canadian VW owner.

Vehicles
      09-17-2009 02:37 AM #131
      Wow... what hell.... you should contact VW in Herndon Virginia and complain.

What else can I say... other than this sucks alright.

27. 09-17-2009 12:27 PM #132
      Hi cdntdi,

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry to hear your frustration - stories like yours are the reason I pushed VW Canada to get my temp. sensor replaced even though my vehicle's been behaving itself so far (<1700 km on odo.). It's being done today at my dealer, having gotten a "special authorization" to have it done. As of this a.m., my VIN showed no open recall campaigns when checked by the dealer.

Not too sound creepy, but by chance were you nearly stranded in rural Nova Scotia when your issues arose while travelling? My dealer's service advisor tells me the only other temp. sensor they've replaced was on a Jetta Wagon travelling from Alberta. If that's you, please IM me as I'd like to hear more details about the problems you've had both before and after the fix.

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      09-18-2009 10:38 AM #133
      I just called, they were helpful. The build date on my GTI is 05/07 and I am covered under the extended warranty program. She said I would receive a letter soon explaining that extension. I am not covered under the recall, which I figured that. I've not had any DSG issues yet <knocks on wood>.

Vehicles
      09-18-2009 10:55 AM #134
      Quote, originally posted by haunted reality »
      I just called, they were helpful. The build date on my GTI is 05/07 and I am covered under the extended warranty program. She said I would receive a letter soon explaining that extension. I am not covered under the recall, which I figured that. I've not had any DSG issues yet <knocks on wood>.

That's odd, according to VW's press release, only cars that have VIN numbers for the temp. sensor Safety Recall or are part of the DSG/MU Extended Service Program would be entitled to the Extended Warranty offer. Is this a change in policy?.... again?

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      09-18-2009 11:06 AM #135
      Quote, originally posted by VWRedux »

That's odd, according to VW's press release, only cars that have VIN numbers for the temp. sensor Safety Recall or are part of the DSG/MU Extended Service Program would be entitled to the Extended Warranty offer. Is this a change in policy?.... again?

Hmm, not really sure, that's what they said. I'm really only interested in the extended warranty as I've not had any issues yet. That's the one thing that made me nervous about buying my car out of lease and keeping it, now I guess I can rest easier about it.

31. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      09-18-2009 12:07 PM #136
      The customer service program for rough/erratic shifting issues is for a specific range of VIN numbers at this point. VW has been accruing data to try and determine if there are more VIN numbers affected by this issue. So if you call and ask about your VIN number, there is a possibility it isn't currently covered by the extended warranty offer yet.

The extended warranty is largely in place as a guarantee of the work done to fix your transmission. It isn't an arbitrary warranty extension if you aren't having any issues.

Volkswagen wants everyone that is having a problem with their transmission to call the customer service number and get a case file going. Those of you that aren't having any issues but are just curious can call the customer care number and give them your VIN to find out if your car qualifies for the extended warranty. Meanwhile the others that are *having issues* need to call VW to let them know so they can record additional VIN numbers and potentially extend the scope of the service campaign.

VW also made it clear to me that they will deal with this on a case by case basis for those that may not be under the specific VIN range for the campaign. So if you are having issues with your transmission, call customer care and get the process going.

- jamie

32. 09-18-2009 01:16 PM #137
      I just think I will be selling my car before 50k and getting something else. I don't want to have to worry about playing the "Beg VWOA to cover my transmission out of warranty" game.

33. 09-18-2009 01:26 PM #138
      Build date 07/07 = 10/100k warranty per my conversation with Brent at 800-444-8982.

34. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 MKV GTI DSG, 2010 Tiguan HL.
      09-18-2009 01:30 PM #139
      I called on the first week of Sept. and mistakenly asked whether my car is under the "second DSG recall". I was being transferred to VWoC. They told me that it was for US only.

After reading another forum that a Toronto guy successfully confirmed his car is under CSP, I phoned the VW LC number again on 9/16. The lady seemed well acknowledged and asked me to wait in order to pull out the Canadian profile. She found me on record and confirmed my car was under the CSP.

For others that might interested, my build date is: 09/2007

35. 09-18-2009 01:34 PM #140
      Quote, originally posted by jamie@vwvortex »

Volkswagen wants everyone that is having a problem with their transmission to call the customer service number and get a case file going. Those of you that aren't having any issues but are just curious can call the customer care number and give them your VIN to find out if your car qualifies for the extended warranty. Meanwhile the others that are *having issues* need to call VW to let them know so they can record additional VIN numbers and potentially extend the scope of the service campaign.

- jamie

I'm afraid I don't know what is or is not a problem (besides flashing lights and DOA) since I'm numb to the quirks associated with the DSG...

Are rough shifts into 2nd and 3rd in "D" at 3/4+ throttle considered a problem?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast