Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: any interest in a CF 4kq Votex front spoiler?

1. 03-27-2012 02:49 PM #71
      I told him my max target price as mentioned above. Fiberglass units will knock some cost off, and perhaps that will be the most economic route for most people involved, and I'm fine with that. I really wanted a carbon version because I think it would look really nice with the color of my car, but once the mold is made then I can make one of my own desires. The guy was going to do some checking on current prices for materials and get back to me with a more solid price.

Time frame is a bit open still. He's not working anywhere currently, and isn't looking very hard. He's an enthusiast and is very interested in this project from that standpoint, and willing to do what he can to keep costs down as he realizes this is for people in small #'s who really love their old Audis.

Here's to hoping this all works out nicely for us

2. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      3 Audi 4000 and a Iltis
      04-26-2012 11:17 PM #72
      Since the front bumper on the 4000 is so higher than the side skirts, a front spoiler which would go a little lower will only fit better for my eye...

3. 04-27-2012 12:01 AM #73
      any word on these? and whats up on that rad. cover? those available?

4. 04-28-2012 01:32 AM #74
      What would the public opinion be if a whole new bumper skin were made? The more I think about this, more I realize, there's a few things that could be incorporated for the work involved anyhow.

Fact: our cars have only a 1" fender lip.
      Fact: Golf II front fender flares have almost a 2" fender lip, same wheel opening radius.
      Fact: Cabrio plastic flares add nearly aother .75" to the game, giving a combined 2.75"ish of wheel flare. Albeit not entirely useable wheel space since it's a flare tacked onto another flare, my intention is to weld the cabrio sheetmetal flare to the 4kq fender, attach the plastic flare, and finish molding it out smoothly to the 4kq fender.

Now, doing this means a couple things. I have the option to slightly move the wheel arch forward and allow for a control arm flip, giving the suspension more castor, and keeping the wheel centered in the wheel well. This would slightly changing the weight bias of the car. It also means the bumper would need to be altered to accommodate the wheel arch moving forward, which could be done at the start of this game.

So, If a set of matching front fenders, that worked with a front bumper that was modified to meet the fender properly, with a chin spoiler integrated into it, but also bring the front chin of the bumper slightly forward to accommodate more options in the FMIC/or radiator camp, could be made up, how many people would actually be interested in that. Honestly I would really do it on my own interest, but of course wouldn't mind at all if more folks wanted them. Not really many people in the game of making widebody parts for a nearly 30 year old Audi these days.

To match the front fenders, Ideally rears would be made as well. My previous experience with using front control arms/ball joints in the rear, can move the wheel rearward, also slightly shifting the weight bias rearward. The other issue with moving the wheel forward, is the wheel arch against the rear door. It wouldn't allow for much alteration for tire clearance on a lowered car. My ideal scenario is 255/40/17 under a 4kq, lowered possibly 2".

Side skirts I would like to move outward at least 1", not more than 1.5". Think RS6 vaguely in the sillouette. Squint your minds eye and play along a minute here. Either make a new side skirt keeping the old profile , but smooth, eliminating the seam in the middle, or making new brackets to use the original pieces, though it might look a bit piecemeal all said and done.

I've been thinking on this stuff quite a bit, and already procured a full set of cabrio flares in metal + plastic. I trimmed a metal flare and taped it to my work 4kq with a 17x8.5 et 24 wheel, that had a 245/40/17 on it, and it swallowed it with ease. Kind of eye opening how much room we are missing out on with the original small lips. I'm thinking big picture here. I know it's quite a departure from just a front lip, but I don't think anyone will be interested in a $700 front lip alone(that's a ball park for an exact copy of the Votex spoiler).

5. 05-01-2012 03:30 PM #75
      that didnt answer me....... whays the skinny on these?? if you were a female we'd call ya a tease!!!! lol !

6. 05-02-2012 03:56 PM #76
      Sorry,

The radiator covers I will be making a few of here as the weather warms up. I've got 3 requests currently. $150 is the price I was offered for making them.

7. 05-06-2012 04:41 AM #77
      nice! keep me posted on those! nqw the biggie.... what is up on these spoilers??? two of them are sold right here!!! are they in reach?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '87 4kcsq
      05-27-2012 12:15 AM #78
      Good info on the flares! That's something I have been thinking on for a bit too. Just a set that would comply with the 4k sideskirt and bumpers would be of great interest to me. I realize you are talking about an entire front end but still. . . just sayin.

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      3 Audi 4000 and a Iltis
      01-22-2013 08:58 PM #79
      Well it's been quite a while since nothing happened on this thread! Did the front bumper spoiler project died in the egg??? I wondered if the has even been posted on Mtrgeek as well??? I can't believe that there are not plenty of people who wants these things! Everybody would have a B2 if they would understand!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123