Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1999 VW Golf - Automatic Transmission Problems

1. 09-05-2009 02:52 PM #1
      I have a 1999 VW Golf 1.6 SE Auto.
      I have been having problems with the automatic transmission for some time and after trying to get fixed several times and failing; I thought I might try the internet.

The problems are as follows, when starting the car from cold and engaging drive there are no problems take off from stationery and going through all 4 gears. The problems start when the engine gets to working temperature. Firstly when stopping, when in the drive gear it disengages (sometimes stalls) and when accelerating away from stationery there is a large lag before the drive engages, there is also a large jolt to the gear box.

Also when cruising down the motorway at high speeds for some time, suddenly the gears would not engage 2nd, 3rd, 4th. It would also slip extremely in all gears and over rev. When this happens, I would pull over and stop for 10mins and continue without these problems, other than the issues with taking off as explained above.

I have already spent a fair amount of money on diagnose tests, changing the transmission oil, improving the cooling of the engine but, this has not improve any of the problems.

Is there anyone out there has experience these problems and overcome them, I would love to hear your solutions.

Cheers Duncan

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      09-06-2009 12:14 AM #2
      Dont sound good to me. Probably needs rebuilt.

Fluid check and code check.

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      2005 Volkswagen GLI (BMP)
      09-07-2009 05:35 AM #3
      ^What he said. Did you change the oil in the trans yourself or did you have it done at a shop? Just wondering if you know what the condition of the oil was before the recent service. If the oil was fairly dark and/or had a somewhat burnt smell to it, thats a good indicator of burnt up friction discs--usually the cause of slipping & replaced in an overhaul. Any good shop shouldve brought it to your attention if it was, but unfortunately some dont...

4. 09-11-2009 11:23 AM #4
      Yep, you guys were both right, the transmission Oil is black and has filings in it. I have order a gear box today to replace it. More money down the drain. Lets hope this one lasts a little longer.

Vehicles
      2005 Volkswagen GLI (BMP)
      09-11-2009 11:46 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by dunchasson »
      Yep, you guys were both right, the transmission Oil is black and has filings in it. I have order a gear box today to replace it. More money down the drain. Lets hope this one lasts a little longer.

Just a word of advice- If you want it to last longer, service it every 30,000 miles without fail, even every 20,000 if youre willing to spend the extra money. Take it from someone who works on transmissions every day, its worth the extra money in the end.

I had a customer last year that brought in a '94 chevy tahoe with 350,000 miles on the original transmission (never been rebuilt or replaced). It went 350k miles before it had to be rebuilt because it had been serviced every 15,000 miles since day 1. I'm not saying you will get that kind of mileage out of yours, but too many people just think I'm trying to get them to spend more money when I tell them these things, and thats not why I do it.

When you do regular services, it gets rid of worn friction material (the stuff that turned your oil black), as well as most of any metal that might be floating around in there if there is any. The other thing I can suggest is to check your fluid level regularly if possible (I know its kind of a pain on VWs). I would have to say the second most common cause of burnt up trannys is people driving them around without enough fluid in them. Anyways, thats just my two cents.