Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Mk3 Golf Transmission swap: Auto to manual

1. 09-05-2009 08:38 PM #1
      I have a 1994 Golf 2.0 that I would like to replace the transmission on. It is and automatic now and I was wondering if at a possible a change from that to a manual is workable. Any information would be great

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      09-06-2009 12:12 AM #2
      Its entirely possible! And its been done! I read a thread, or website somewhere where it has been done.

Personally I've only done auto to manual on A4 cars though.

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 09-07-2009 01:46 PM #3
      If ur mechanically inclined u should have no problem. The hardest part is installing the clutch cable believe it or not. Mounts, shifter and the other odds and end parts r readily available. I would recommend swapping out the ecu and harness out of the gate. It might cost a little more up front but it will save time and headaches later which I experienced until I just swapped them out. Goodluck

4. 09-08-2009 10:26 AM #4
      I would also say the steering rack swap would rank up there as the worst PITA part. The manual rack must be used for it's shifter linkage bracket.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Outback 6spd MT, '95 BMW 318ti M50 swapped
      09-17-2009 05:33 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by WhalenDesign »
      I would also say the steering rack swap would rank up there as the worst PITA part. The manual rack must be used for it's shifter linkage bracket.

Not true at all...I did the swap nearly 3 years ago with NO ECU, Harness or steering rack swap.
      1994 OBD1

6. 09-22-2009 10:25 AM #6
      I have a little bit different problem. I want my Golf III 2.0GT 8V to be with automatic transmission. I have all things I need, the only problem is, that I dont have these two wires in the ECU harness, that are going from ECU (Engine Control Unit) to TCM (Transmission Control Unit). Does that mean, that they are using different ECU-s? In the diagrams, there is said, that the wires have to go to the pins "18" and "22". On the ECU, there are those pins, but no wires coming out from the plug. If I connect wires there, do they work for automatic transmission also or I have to reprogram it?

Modified by Margo_325 at 5:26 PM 9-22-2009

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      09-22-2009 02:36 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Margo_325 »
      I have a little bit different problem. I want my Golf III 2.0GT 8V to be with automatic transmission. I have all things I need, the only problem is, that I dont have these two wires in the ECU harness, that are going from ECU (Engine Control Unit) to TCM (Transmission Control Unit). Does that mean, that they are using different ECU-s? In the diagrams, there is said, that the wires have to go to the pins "18" and "22". On the ECU, there are those pins, but no wires coming out from the plug. If I connect wires there, do they work for automatic transmission also or I have to reprogram it?

Modified by Margo_325 at 5:26 PM 9-22-2009

Your basing this of GDB's pdf??

If I'm understanding you correctly you have a golf III? That means Mk3 golf correct? GDB's pdf is for a Mk4. Obviously there is gonna be differences (there are also differences between the Mk4's.

Get a wire schematic for your car auto and your car manual and make comparisons..

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

8. 10-26-2009 10:19 PM #8
      Not sure where you guys are on this swap. With the MKIII, There is nothing really technical about it. Disconnect the automatic TCM. The manual transmission is stand alone. No computer. Just a connector for the tach, and the reverse lights switch. Most of your questions for the MKIII swap is in my sig.

Hey ayton. How's the rig running? My son sold his heap for 3k last year. Not bad for a 96 that was considered totaled.

Modified by Cyclopath at 10:24 PM 10-26-2009

Andrew I Johnson May 25, 1985 - September 30, 2011
      Permanently banned from MVWS. And CGW says I don’t play well with others.
      Auto to manual transmittion swap. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...l-Swap-FAQ-DIYhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ight=cyclopath

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 Outback 6spd MT, '95 BMW 318ti M50 swapped
      11-28-2009 10:55 AM #9
      Mine has been running great..besides a minor maintenance thing here and there it runs flawless! I actually did the swap for someone else a few months back and he reports the same.
      Its well worth it to do if you have the time and space.
      I will be selling mine after the winter season too...I should get a pretty good coin when the time comes.
      If you would have seen mine it was a "total" too...

Vehicles
      04 gti 1.8t
      09-15-2010 02:41 PM #10
      how much would it cost?

Vehicles
      97 TR jetta, 87 jetta, 81 caddy, 95 cbr600
      09-16-2010 08:29 AM #11
      Depends on how you source your parts. Could be anywhere from around $500 or a company has a complete kit for around $3000. If you can get a complete parts car for cheap that would probably be the best way to do it. You could also get used parts from the junkyard and then just buy a new clutch kit. If you go to the junkyard make sure you have a complete list of parts that you need because there are some parts that you might not think you need but you will.

12. 06-18-2011 04:06 PM #12
      I know it's an old thread but it's a popular result when you're looking up manual swaps for a vw. If you're interested in swapping out your pos auto for a manual it's fairly simple to do in theory. I'm just about done with my swap and in all honesty if I had to do it again I probably wouldn't. I'd probably just find another cabrio. But since mine had low miles on it, was in awesome shape(save for the tranny) and I got a deal on it, I opted to swap it. As far as parts go, find a donor car and pull parts from it. Trying to sorce parts from different places is a PITA.

-tranny

-axles

-front tranny/motor mount

-rear tranny mount

-rear tranny mount brace(small brace connecting the mount to the driver's side of the tranny)

-pressure plate/flywheel/clutch disk

-starter and the bolts that go through it

-shift linkage/box/brackets...(all of it)

-clutch cable and retaining hardware

-clutch pedal & the shaft through the pedal assembly

in theory it's cake, in practice its a pain. there are a lot of small parts you wouldn't think of off the top of your head that you need like misc. bolts needed that won't transfer from the auto(like starter bolts, engine/tranny mount bolts..). what you DO NOT need to worry about is changing the harness or swapping steering racks. the VSS and reverse light switch on the tranny are the only electronic components that are plugged into the harness for the manual and those connections are the same on the auto tranny. if you can't find a donor/parts car, read up and do as much research as you can(never hurts to learn..) or find a buddy that's done a similar swap or is a dub freak. the most difficult part I believe is physically dropping the old tranny and putting the new one in. but that's the same problem most fwd cars have... the shaft that goes through the pedal assembly is also a pain, but with a LOT of fanagling with the fuse box/wiring around it, it'll slide in. as far as cost goes I have about $1200 wrapped up in parts so far. i hope this helps out those of you reading up on this swap. having a buddy or two working for beer definitely makes the job easier too... cheers

13. 05-05-2012 09:19 PM #13
      i have a 97 jetta gt and i am looking to replace the auto wit a manual this is my first fwd swap and was wandering if i would b able to use the cv axles from the auto or if i would have to replace those as well any help would b awsome thanks

Vehicles
      97 TR jetta, 87 jetta, 81 caddy, 95 cbr600
      05-07-2012 12:55 PM #14
      Need axles for manual trans.
      Give wildlife a brake! 4TSQ. WV, Almost Heaven. Where are the moose? Save the Frogs!. Save the whales. I birds. Iron City

15. 05-24-2012 05:03 PM #15
      im doing an auto to manual swap on my 97 mk3 and im trying to pull the pedal assembly out how do i do this without destroying every thing?

16. 05-24-2012 05:04 PM #16
      i really need info on removing the pedal cluster on my 97 any idea how to do this

17. Member
      06-05-2012 04:30 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by blakesmowersports View Post
      i really need info on removing the pedal cluster on my 97 any idea how to do this
      This