Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2006 Passat 2.0t Won't start

1. 09-13-2009 05:15 PM #1
      More times than not lately when I try to start the car, it will turn over then die out right away. Sometimes stay running for 2 seconds, rpms go up to about 1200 then shuts right off. It is sparatic, but can take 20-30 times of starting to happen then. Any ideas? Car has 44k on it.

thx

2. 09-13-2009 06:29 PM #2
      Your special stupid VW key and kill module in the stearing column are screwing up. You need a new column. About $1500.00 to replace. Search the net with key words. Passat Stearing Column Replace.

Why here is one:

http://www.vwforum.com/forums/...35853/

I'm waiting on mine to die so I can bring in reams of papers printed from forum after forum of this problem. Looking for the free ticket to the repair. Really, it should be a recall. Best of luck man.

Modified by avgwarhawk at 3:32 PM 9-13-2009

3. 09-13-2009 10:38 PM #3
      I wonder if since I only have 44k on it the warranty would cover it?

4. 09-13-2009 11:36 PM #4
      Covered under warranty (as long as you are w/in the 4yr). You should be good to go just take it in.

5. 09-14-2009 12:35 PM #5
      Dat doesn't sound to good, i have now done 42K :|

Best of luck with yours man

6. 09-15-2009 11:06 PM #6
      I have 90K on my 2006 Passat and I now have the same problem. The dealer quoted a price of $1200 and they now stock the parts which indicate to me that this is a frequent repair. I have contacted VW Cutomer Care and so far they have not agreed to help on this. I have had numerous other problems with this car, check engine light for several faults, broken cat, failed purge valve, failed IMRC motor and now the steering col. module and comfort module. Mine will start and shut off right away and would take up to fifteen attempts before it runs. this happens even two days or so.

7. 09-16-2009 09:43 AM #7
      See my thread here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4562567

It has posts of other forums with members having the same issue. To me it is a common problem and VW needs to address it. Make copies of the forum responses and present them to the VW dealer as proof this is a growing trend as these Passats get some miles on them.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-16-2009 12:33 PM #8
      Mine is in the shop now, 2007 with 28k. They are actually replacing the steering column today. Funny thing is, I brought it in because the push-button parking brake malfunctioned.

9. 09-16-2009 01:23 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by jrod_r1 »
      Mine is in the shop now, 2007 with 28k. They are actually replacing the steering column today. Funny thing is, I brought it in because the push-button parking brake malfunctioned.

Are they doing the replacement under a warranty?

10. 09-17-2009 01:31 AM #10
      weird. i have an 07 passat and this morning when i went to start it up to go to school it sounded like the battery was dying- as in it sounded like my car wasnt going to start but it barley did. i had the traction light and power steering light on my screen and it was kind of a struggle to get my key out as well. im wondering if this is the same problem? my car has 20k on it.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-17-2009 12:37 PM #11
      Yes sir. We bought the car new 2 years ago, so it is well within the warranty period. I should find out today if it is all set to pickup tonight.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-17-2009 12:42 PM #12
      Not sure if it the same or not. For ours, you would push the key in and the car would sometimes delay until it started. Other times you would pull the key out and open the car door adn the radio would not turn off.

Like I said, I brought it in for the parking brake malfunction lights on the dash that resembled the Griswold house on "Christmas Vacation". The car was in the shop last winter for other, unrelated issues due to a check endine and emission fault that tripped the traction control and multiple other warnings. I can't remember what the outcome was on that though. Like I said unrelated and I am rambling now........

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 B6 Passat 3.6 Sedan
      09-18-2009 01:51 AM #13
      I just got mine replaced last weekend. I had the same exact problem. My car had 49,900...only 100 miles before my warranty expired! Sounds like my SA was very familiar with the issue as he was telling me exactly what I needed to do as I told him about it over the phone. I urge anyone who notices it to do it right away (if you're still under warranty) as it's not a cheap fix.

14. 09-18-2009 08:48 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by tijas2 »
      I just got mine replaced last weekend. I had the same exact problem. My car had 49,900...only 100 miles before my warranty expired! Sounds like my SA was very familiar with the issue as he was telling me exactly what I needed to do as I told him about it over the phone. I urge anyone who notices it to do it right away (if you're still under warranty) as it's not a cheap fix.

Sad when they already know whats up by just explaining it over the phone. This is really a common problem from the looks of it. For once I'm glad I got the extended warranty to 74000 miles. I think I will go more on the warranty when this one is up.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-18-2009 12:15 PM #15
      Steering column and comfort modules replaced. Parking brake switch was okay but the ECM needed an update to cover that problem I guess. 28,000 so it was covered under warranty.

Heck, they even washed and detailed the car, so it's one less thing I've gotta do this weekend

16. 09-20-2009 03:37 AM #16
      Having the same problem with my wagon at 75k no more warranty so im a little bummed.. hopefully there will be a tsbout on this one

Vehicles
      2014 GLI
      09-21-2009 10:58 AM #17
      Sadly, repaired at 25K miles. Good news under warranty.
      My wife's wagon has had so many problems... We can't wait to sell it...

18. 09-21-2009 01:11 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by jpcacosta »
      Sadly, repaired at 25K miles. Good news under warranty.
      My wife's wagon has had so many problems... We can't wait to sell it...

I know what you mean. I just got one of these cars and I spend a least an hour a day looking at all the problems coming my way. I can not wait to dump this one. Unfortunate I'm looking at 5 years with it.

19. 09-21-2009 03:18 PM #19
      POS has been at dealer since last Wednesday. Covered by warranty, but I may see what they will give me for it before it leaves the lot. I really do not like this car. Bought it with 19k on it 20 months ago. Got 45k now, have done all brakes, tires, now this. The general maintenance on the car is not worth it. Needless to say, I am so sick of the car. To top it off, they got me a rental car, a KIA RIO. It has been sitting in my office parking lot since Thursday, I refuse to drive it. Not their fault, but Hertz.

20. 09-21-2009 04:15 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by ryvtcc »
      POS has been at dealer since last Wednesday. Covered by warranty, but I may see what they will give me for it before it leaves the lot. I really do not like this car. Bought it with 19k on it 20 months ago. Got 45k now, have done all brakes, tires, now this. The general maintenance on the car is not worth it. Needless to say, I am so sick of the car. To top it off, they got me a rental car, a KIA RIO. It has been sitting in my office parking lot since Thursday, I refuse to drive it. Not their fault, but Hertz.

I to feel your pain. This is the very first car I have purchased then read up on the reviews afterwards...I know dummy me. Since then it has been a feeling dread waiting on the cam to blow, column to need replacing or turbo to blow through the hood. It is not the fact that yeah you got a warranty...it is the fact the damn thing is in the shop all the time. Since I got the car it has been to the dealer every week. They said it is the fix everything promise. OK fine, however, each week I have to bring it in for something on the laundry list of issues I discovered after the fact of buying it. Oh well, live and learn. I often wonder as I see VW all over the place...can they really be that bad?

21. Member
      09-21-2009 05:19 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by ryvtcc »

Wait. What? You're sick of the car because you've had one warranty issue? Brakes and tires are wearable items. They wear out because you used them and they did their job. 15 seconds of google work returned complaints from Pontiac, Lincoln, BMW, and Honda owners who have had to get brake work done after only 30k miles.

I suggest buying a hybrid since the regenerative brakes last for 100k or more and the low rolling resistance tires average about 60k.

It could be worse...you could've bought a Kia Rio like the one you won't even drive for free.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-28-2009 12:30 PM #22
      Update.....parking brake malfuction this weekend. Add to that the radio stayed on after the key was pulled from the dash and door was opened. Both problems are what it spent 3 days at the dealer for!

It's going back tomorrow but sadly the GTi is up in NH with my brother for a bit so I will have a rental.

23. 09-30-2010 02:33 PM #23
      I just came here to say the same thing happened to our 2006 Passat. The intermittent no start thing started happening so we tried all the temporary fixes (waiting for the light to change color, moving the wheel, etc.) until the whole thing died. We took it to our local dealer here in Salt Lake, described the problem, told them we knew that this was a well documented issue, and that we had already talked with VWofA. They kindly fixed the problem even though the car was just out of warranty. I wanted to let people know that it looks like in at least some cases VW is making this right. Good luck to everyone that still has this problem.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      09-30-2010 08:27 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by jrod_r1 View Post
      Steering column and comfort modules replaced. Parking brake switch was okay but the ECM needed an update to cover that problem I guess. 28,000 so it was covered under warranty.

Heck, they even washed and detailed the car, so it's one less thing I've gotta do this weekend

You will likely need a new parking brake switch. THe ECM update never really helps.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 mazdaspeed3 tech package, 2010 mitsubishi outlander xls tech package
      10-01-2010 10:20 PM #25
      new column at dealer for sure.I had the same exact problem went to the dealer and was charged $355 and that included reprogramming my 3 keys. The dont have to change the entire column anymore thats why its so much cheaper.