Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cigarette Lighter not working. Possible blown fuse? I HAVE SEARCHED!

1. 09-20-2009 04:01 PM #1
      Back in March my friend plugged in a DC to AC inverter and it worked fine for about 6 hours and then upon starting the car after a short stop it blew, no power to the cigarette lighter whatsoever. So I searched and found many useful links, I probably have gone through 20 posts about the same problem. I checked fuse 21, the one that is labeled as cig. lighter. and also checked for the "hidden fuses" above the relay and only have 2 10A (red) fuses located there. They are both good. Heres some pics:

As you can see from the images there is no additional fuses above the 161 relay as many of the other posts suggest. Please help me I just got a Beltronics RX65 radar detector and I want to plug it in!!!

Here's the car:

Modified by tompenny420 at 1:03 PM 9-20-2009

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Jetta GLI
      09-20-2009 04:30 PM #2
      did you check the wiring to the cigarette lighter?

Vehicles
      2.3L 16V ABA, SN 95 Mustang V8, 2013 Frontier V6
      09-20-2009 04:32 PM #3
      If I do remember correctly there is one right behind the cigar lighter. Also behind the fuse box look for the inline one. It is one of those slim line fuses and varies with year but it might be a brown cable or close. If possible back track from the cig lighter cable all the way to the fuse block.
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      On a scale from flaming bag of dog poop to drunken sex with a hot stripper... your car is a case of herpes from a girl you picked up at wal mart.

4. 09-20-2009 04:32 PM #4
      I tried but can't figure out how to get the cigarette lighter to pop out. anyone?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Jetta GLI
      09-20-2009 04:38 PM #5
      you have to pop off the bezel around your A/C and heater controls, and remove your ashtray. there will be 4 screws behind the A/C bezel, and two behind the ashtray. once you have those out, that entire assembly will be removable, and you can get to the back of the cigarette lighter.

6. 09-20-2009 05:14 PM #6
      ok got it off and unhooked the cig lighter. There are 3 wires coming off of it. I can't see any fuses, inline or otherwise attached to the cig lighter. I'm going to find a multimeter or something to see if its got power going into it.

7. 09-20-2009 07:17 PM #7
      PROBLEM SOLVED

So i made a continuity tester out of an old breadboard from my circuits class a couple years ago and found that power was not being sent to the cig lighter. I decided to look harder at the fuse box and ended up popping it out of its holder and dropping it as far as the wires allowed.
      Then finally I could see the "hidden" fuses, they've been tucked into the wiring far above the fuse box and relays!

Anyway its all good now and I can use my radar detector

the moral of the story is that those "hidden" fuses can be seriously hidden and hard to get to.

Thanks Vortex!

8. 10-18-2009 06:06 PM #8
      hi
      ive got the same problem. I cant find the hidden fuses, its not above the relays. anyone got a picture of where its located?

9. 11-04-2009 05:05 AM #9
      Here's where the Cig Lighter fuse is on my 97 jetta
      first i had to move the 2 modules out of the way then I had to turn in to gumby to get this fuse out hope this helps

10. 11-04-2009 08:16 AM #10
      preserve your car smoke outside! the age of the vw's is diminishing

11. 12-03-2009 01:13 AM #11
      Preserve your brain by not using your mouth.

Did you even read this thread??

Let me guess, you saw the word cigarette and your panties immediately got in a tiff. On a further guess; your from California, correct?

And if smoking in a VW gets your goat...how to does it feel to be driving in the living legacy of a genocidal mass murderer?

Modified by vw4evaandeva at 10:15 PM 12-2-2009

Vehicles
      Yin: 97 Jetta gt 2.0: Yang: 1998 Golf VR6
      12-03-2009 01:29 AM #12
      That hidden fuse is the biggest effing pain in the ass, EVER. I love how it's not mentioned in ANY book, diagram, or anything.

13. 09-09-2010 07:55 AM #13
      Hi, I have a similar situation with my cigarette lighter. Do u have any suggestions on how to fix it. I pulled out tha cigeratte lighter from my jette 03 n could not find any fuses. Should I just replace the socket????

14. Member
      10-04-2010 09:14 PM #14
      hey friends,

well, my Cigarette lighter isn't working either..so i decided to research my favorite and most knowledgable vw website and came across this thread. thank-you so much.

I had one of those 'hardcore' air compressors and it "blew" that fuse. Accept, when I checked the fuses, (1998 Jetta, GLX VR6), it wasn't blown..so, now I am going to go on an adventure for this hidden inline fuse... great knowledge here... will keep you posted.

15. Member
      10-05-2010 06:34 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by bigbean51 View Post
      hey friends,

well, my Cigarette lighter isn't working either..so i decided to research my favorite and most knowledgable vw website and came across this thread. thank-you so much.

I had one of those 'hardcore' air compressors and it "blew" that fuse. Accept, when I checked the fuses, (1998 Jetta, GLX VR6), it wasn't blown..so, now I am going to go on an adventure for this hidden inline fuse... great knowledge here... will keep you posted.

ok, so i tested both fuses, and yep, NOT blown. I pulled the cig. lighter assembly out to make sure nothing was loose, and nothing. I then tested to make sure power was getting to the lighter, and NOPE, no power..... fuse in position # 20 is good...and the fuse that has tape around it, (the one hidden up top), also has power. Is my only last resort to trace the wiring completely through the dash?? thx for the help... grrr...

Vehicles
      MK6, MK3
      11-04-2010 11:49 AM #16
      hey all

has anyone had this happen to them before?
      i know this is an old post, so no pics work.

I was driving back from h2o, my friend had this ghetto adapter for an ipod and it got "stuck" in the port and when we tried to remove it, it came out in pieces.

is it more likely that the cig lighter dealy is ****ed or fuse/electrical related?

i don't smoke in my car, but i do like to use the cig lighter to light up an L, outside of the car
      oh yeah, and to charge the phone battery if it's low on long trips.

any input is appreciated.

Vehicles
      MK6, MK3
      11-04-2010 01:01 PM #17
      light up

18. n00b
      Vehicles
      96 mk3 gti
      11-04-2010 01:55 PM #18
      check fuses my pedals it could be a 15 witch is luxury thats what mine was

Vehicles
      MK6, MK3
      11-04-2010 02:23 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by bradford67 View Post
      check fuses my pedals it could be a 15 witch is luxury thats what mine was
      WUT

Vehicles
      MK6, MK3
      11-05-2010 01:56 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by PKstrategy View Post
      WUT
      this