VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phenoms Howtos : Gas hood struts or lifts for mk2 Scirocco

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      03-05-2010 11:06 AM #26
      Thats a fantastic writeup.

2. 03-05-2010 02:18 PM #27
      I was going to recomend using the stock hood bolt location as its somewhat reinforced in that area VS the thin sheet metal area you drilled thru. The only additional mod is a notch of the weather stripping.
      That location is even better on a MK-I
      (Ive had the hood lifts on both.)
      Quote, originally posted by JonnyPhenomenon »
      before anyone runs out and grabs a drill, I need to update. I have detected some bending on the metal where I mounted the top anchor.
      it is not pushing up like I thought it might, but rather when the hood is closed its trying to push the anchor rearward. I didnt put a washer between the hood and the anchor because I thought it would make it stick out too far. and it looks like that may have been a mistake. I'm going to try to take it out and get a washer in there to stabilize it some. this should be FUN.
      I will update soon..
      Shawn Meze
      02' Beetle Turbo "S" 84' Scirocco 8V 80' Scirocco "S" 99' F250
      NASA SoCal Spec E30 Series Director.

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco, 78 bus, 91 Vanagon
      03-05-2010 04:18 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by Rays-Rocco »
      Nice scirocco! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Why didn't you use one of the hood bolts for the top bolt? I would think that bending would be less likely at that point.

the bolt holes aren't anywhere near the gutters where I wanted to mount the struts. there really isn't any good place to put them on the mk2. the mk1's have bolt holes over there so its possible that way, but not the mk2.
      Quote, originally posted by 16volt »
      That's a fantastic writeup.

thanks
      Quote, originally posted by Monster8V »
      I was going to recommend using the stock hood bolt location as its somewhat reinforced in that area VS the thin sheet metal area you drilled thru. The only additional mod is a notch of the weather stripping.
      That location is even better on a MK-I
      (Ive had the hood lifts on both.)

I think that mounting them in the engine bay with the cut rain tray is not as attractive as keeping them in the gutter. hence why I installed them where I did.
      as I said in my original post, there was some bending before I took them out an added more washers. since I have added the washers the bending has stopped. I said later on that if I had moved the mounting points on the body a little bit farther forward, that there would be less stress on them when the hood was fully closed. where they are now they are fully compressed when the hood is closed, and there is a ton of force on that little screw.
      if I had mounted them an 1" to 1.5" further forward, this stress would have been a lot less. but when I am using my own car is the guinnea pig, I don't get to just drill more holes when I don't like where they were at first..

so to summarize, the top mounting points are fine, but the bottom mounting points should be moved further forward so they put less stress on the hood when it is closed.

Modified by JonnyPhenomenon at 4:20 PM 3-5-2010
      www.rikerstardresser.com - I'm a donor, are you? - www.marrow.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12