Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car shakes/vibrates when turning left, what is the problem?

Vehicles
      2006 MkV GTI
      09-25-2009 02:01 PM #1
      Recently my car started experiencing a shaking / vibrating whenever I turn left, especially during acceleration and a tight left turn.

The vibrations remain momentarily after the car straightens back out but does go away after a bit.

This is a 2006 MkV GTI bone stock with 25k miles and original suspension, tires, etc.

Anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks

Modified by EMVeeDub at 11:38 AM 9-25-2009

Vehicles
      08 4dr Gti + 03 2dr Gti
      09-25-2009 02:20 PM #2
      possibly cv joint? did you hit any huge pot holes? how about when you turn hard right?
      2003 Gti Black 2dr
      2008 Gti United Gray 4dr
      2013 Passat CC Sport Plus

Vehicles
      2008 GTI 6MT, 2005.5 A4 Avant 6MT
      09-25-2009 02:25 PM #3
      First thing first, before you drive the car again, make sure your wheel lugs are correctly torqued. If that's not it, I'm thinking a right-hand side wheel bearing.

Vehicles
      2006 MkV GTI
      09-25-2009 02:39 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by GtiBoogiemann »
      possibly cv joint? did you hit any huge pot holes? how about when you turn hard right?

I haven't hit any big potholes, and it does not do anything when I turn right.

Vehicles
      2006 MkV GTI
      09-25-2009 02:40 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by cxg231 »
      First thing first, before you drive the car again, make sure your wheel lugs are correctly torqued. If that's not it, I'm thinking a right-hand side wheel bearing.

I will check the lugs when I get out of work. Is there any way to tell if it's a wheel bearing without getting dirty?

Vehicles
      2008 GTI 6MT, 2005.5 A4 Avant 6MT
      09-25-2009 02:51 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by EMVeeDub »
      Is there any way to tell if it's a wheel bearing without getting dirty?

If you don't mind getting just your hands dirty you can grasp the top of the wheel/tire firmly and yank it hard in and out (in and out as you face the wheel). If the bearing is really bad you will feel play in the hub as you yank the wheel.

If that passes, later on when you are not in your lilly whites Jack the car up, secure it properly on jack stands and yank the wheel again as above (but not so hard you knock the car off the jack stands!). If the bearing is medium-bad you will feel the play in the hub.

If the bearing is just starting to go the only way to tell really is to inspect the bearing itself. Not a clean job.

Vehicles
      2006 MkV GTI
      09-25-2009 02:57 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by cxg231 »

If you don't mind getting just your hands dirty you can grasp the top of the wheel/tire firmly and yank it hard in and out (in and out as you face the wheel). If the bearing is really bad you will feel play in the hub as you yank the wheel.

If that passes, later on when you are not in your lilly whites Jack the car up, secure it properly on jack stands and yank the wheel again as above (but not so hard you knock the car off the jack stands!). If the bearing is medium-bad you will feel the play in the hub.

If the bearing is just starting to go the only way to tell really is to inspect the bearing itself. Not a clean job.

Ok cool, I will give it a shot Thanks!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2005.5 MKV TDI
      09-25-2009 06:10 PM #8
      Yes, it means that your car is not qualified for NASCAR.

Rain Closing Windows, goF raeR, Aspherical Mirrors, Remote Windows, Amber Club

9. 09-25-2009 06:21 PM #9
      probebly cv joint,wheel bearings make a low wineing/hum noise when they go,have a look at the cv boot,they come off at one end and all the grease comes out which leads to the cv joint failing

10. 11-28-2010 10:46 PM #10
      I'm pretty sure it's the outer tie rod end - left. I had the same exact problem. I took my car today at pep boys and they took a look at it. It was the outer tie rod end - left. They fixed it for me and the car was driving back to normal. This costs about $180.00 including labor and everything. You could find the part at NAPA, Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys.