VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Parts-- $1800 in Phoenix, AZ

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Paul@VWvortex 
#1 ·
So the story of "Myshell" is short but distinguished.
I got this car from Mitch (Goldice) who began the process of stripping it down to bare metal in preparation of paint and bodywork. I took it to be sandblasted and found that the car was nearly dent-free and clearly an Arizona-only car since it has ZERO rust anywhere.
Anyhoo, my goal was to build a track car with no real specific class in-mind but the cage was created by a masterful fabricator friend of mine who built it from the SCCA rulebooks to support IT-class racing. The cage is in and complete from the firewall-rearwards and comes with the following items:
-Box full of all of the various body-related hardware (glass, window trim, window regulators, cracked dash, wiring harness, etc)
-Power steering rack, resevoir and pump from a 16v Scirocco
-Good OEM windshield
-Suspension (oem stuff to move it, nothing fancy just springs and struts) along with a full poly suspension setup and engine mounts
-Headlight buckets and taillights
There is probably more to it than I have listed but as I uncover other bits and pieces I will list them.
On with the pictures......

doors:

fenders:

top of the inside hoop in the rear of the passenger compartment:

rear strut triangulation point:

rear cage build:

passenger side footwell:

The cage is made from .095 DOM to SCCA specifications and it cost me nearly $1400 to build the cage.
Truthfully my two reasons for selling it are time and storage; the storage issue could become moot as it could be moved to my garage at my house but that would require effort on my part.

If the buyer of the car is interested I also have a freshly built 02 4k transmission with a VWMS 4.75 final drive and Quaife with zero miles that I would sell for an additional $1,000 with the car... or if not I will sell the transmission after the shell is gone.
I do have access to the title once the sale is complete.
I appreciate any inquiries about the car; I do not want to part it out.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Part ... (Paul@VWvortex)

Or not??
Any feedback; price to high or is the car too specialized with the cage?

#3 ·
Re: 1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Part ... (Paul@VWvortex)

Seems like a fair price to me. Looks like a very straight car. Good luck with the sale. Wish i had the funds to ship it to the east coast! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#5 ·
Re: 1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Part ... (Michael Bee)

A bump just for the sport of it.

#6 ·

The work that has gone into your car is definitely worth the asking price Paul... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I decided to go dirt/pavement.....I need alot of tires now..

#9 ·
Re: (Paul@VWvortex)

I guess I will give it one more whirl just to see if I should store it for the winter.

#11 ·
Re: (tpod)

Quote, originally posted by tpod »
get title prior to sale, would be easier to sell

Thanks I just received it from the previous owner.

#12 ·
Re: (Paul@VWvortex)

Quote, originally posted by Paul@VWvortex »
I guess I will give it one more whirl just to see if I should store it for the winter.

um,i've been in chandler...in january...there is no winter.
bump for you though,that cage is awesome

#14 ·
Re: 1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Part ... (LampieLowell)

Quote, originally posted by LampieLowell »
i am interested in your shell. is all the stuff there to put it back together? or most of it. let's talk
917-513-7655
best regards, Lowell.

a christmas gift for myself.

Hi Lowell--
Thanks for the note and I apologize for not responding to you immediately. I will reach out to you tomorrow and will IM you my contact information.
Most everything is here to put it back together again, I will give you the rundown and answer any questions when we talk directly.

#15 ·

BUMPEEE BABY...this is such a great beginning...

#16 ·
Re: 1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Part ... (sciroccohal)

you know Paul you could just give it to me...I am seeing how many cars I can fit around here...so far I have 11 here, I am picking up a Mercury this weekend and then my S4 from Chicago...and my Sister is buying a new car...so 14, until I move in Feb

#17 ·

Keep in mind there is a little wiggle room in the price.

I am moving the car tomorrow out of my storage container to my house... so if anyone needs more pictures please let me know.

#18 ·

Bumpity bumpage.. the car is now sitting in my garage under a car cover with all of its' goodies stacked inside.

#19 ·

Looks like a good start on a track toy. I'd like a MKI, and am looking for the right one. Just to be clear though, the cage would not pass SCCA spec and if anybody would want it for Improved Touring (ITC) the cage would need a number of mods. The rules are online, but key gaps to spec are main hoop, rear cross brace and door tubes, none of which will pass spec. Also the floor plates should run down the rockers and onto the floor or the cage will just punch through the floor on a rollover.) - Not trying to rain on you, but don't want that to be a surprise for you or others that think they could road race it. The fab work looks good, but is typical of maybe a good fab who isn't an experienced race car builder.

#20 ·
Re: 1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Part ... (spinnetti)

Spinetti I appreciate your feedback on the cage and while I myself don't have a ton of exposure to what makes a great IT setup I downloaded the 2008 Nasa PT (performance touring) guidelines along with the SCCA rulebook and it seems to reach both of them.
As to the plates position on the floorboard all of the contact points use a reinforced plate both topside and bottom-side to ensure that what you are referring to (punching through the floor) doesn't happen. The gentleman who built the cage builds SCORE trophy trucks for a living and his work is well-known around here and in Southern California.
That being said I am taking your information to heart and I am going to call upon a friend of mine who is the chief inspector for the Cactus Region SCCA to come out and give it his opinion and see what he suggests.
I still stand behind my opinion that the car is an excellent value for what the potential buyer would purchase not only being a completely rust-free car but also with the extras and cage makes a good buy.

I do appreciate your feedback and if for some reason I do find areas to improve upon I will take the time and efforts to get my builder to improve upon what is here and make sure that if I do build it or sell it the cage is one that I would send my wife out in.. and I love my wife.

#21 ·

This car + Lambo orange + TDI engine is essentially my 2/5ths life crisis mobile.
No clue on shipping or title issues from US to Canada, though. Sucks.
Very nice starting platform for someone closer to you.

#23 ·
Re: 1979 Rust-Free Scirocco rolling shell with IT* Rollcage and Part ... (gospeed-racer)

Quote, originally posted by gospeed-racer »
im sent...

And responded, thanks for sending it.
I sent out my pictures to a friend of mine who does some tech appraisal for the local SCCA and he didn't see anything out of line with the cage; the main hoop is one solid piece and the top ring is also welded in a way appropriate to their specs. He is going to attempt to swing by this weekend and eyeball it up in the flesh.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

#24 ·

Deposit taken, the car is off the market. Thanks Jeff.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.