VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

OT: The great Australian Foodie thread

114K views 2K replies 58 participants last post by  Lima 
#1 ·
Frozen Chiko Rolls, in packs of four at Safeway.
Even comes with the paper pockets so you can rrekindle those milkbar memories
right in your own home. Doesn't get much better than that.
Also went to Flower Drum last night. Curious to know what other kunts here think of this place...Do you think it's over-hyped as some detractors claim?

#2 ·
Re: OT: The great Australian Foodie thread (TheHamofMam)

Went to Flowerdrum in March and I went to China in early September... we went to the Peking Duck house near the Birds nest in Beijing for what is supposed to be one of the best Peking Ducks in China... sorry, but the' drum owned the f**k out of the greasy Chinese shiiit.
edit - I didnt eat much of the duck in China, but every one else did and got really sick...
Then I went to the Teahouse(?) in Chinatown (Melbourne) with our accountant and the duck there was the best I've ever had...

Modified by TMK-001 at 5:33 PM 9-30-2009

#5 ·

I was never a chiko roll roll fan.
but it does make me think of getting, hot chips in newspaper, a bottle of milk with the aluminium cap and a chokito from the milkbar.
How good was getting icecream from the old milk bar that had the silver fridges in the counter, or it was the counter.

#6 ·
Re: OT: The great Australian Foodie thread (vwlatino)

Memories of my local "fat alberts" when I was knee high. You could ask for a 'chicken n coke' and you'd receive a whole chicken packed with a little bag of coke.
Too bad I was in primary school when the news broke... The owners went to jail for 12 years.

#7 ·

Quote, originally posted by TheHamofMam »
Already did.
You talking about the Teahouse in Lt Colin street?

Walk up Chinatown and take a left into a lane that is open with a big arch over the road between Lonsdale and Little Bourke... I thought. There might be two? Our accountant said he came there with some major tycoons (bigger than COIs) all the time...

#8 ·
Re: OT: The great Australian Foodie thread (Flaps)

Flower Drum is over rated. I used to go there once a month with idiotic vendors who are paying and think that would impress me. (I rather $7.50 noodle at Kum Den in Chinatown). Teahouse is very very good. And food in China isn't good (VERY oiley), especially in Beijing. HK is where it's at. But certain regions in China has some magnificent cuisines, stuff we don't get here.

Modified by WAY at 12:11 PM 10-1-2009

#9 ·
Re: OT: The great Australian Foodie thread (WAY)

Next time you in Beijing, go to this place...

Best Chinese food I've ever eaten and the venue was unbelievable! It was decked out in old furniture from Mao's offices and lots of little nick nacks that made the night we had there...

#10 ·
Re: OT: The great Australian Foodie thread (vwlatino)

Quote, originally posted by vwlatino »
How good was getting icecream from the old milk bar that had the silver fridges in the counter, or it was the counter.

And they'd have the big vat of milk in there as well with a super sized ladle. Use to hook out the milk to put into the steel canister style milkshake cups. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#12 ·
Re: OT: The great Australian Foodie thread (Mr. Stubby)

the burgers were better at the local takeaway. and chips with vinegar were a hit too. Then a vienna chocolate for dessert http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
then pick up the redline and head for the jumps....

#13 ·
Re: OT: The great Australian Foodie thread (Tank Engine)

Quote, originally posted by Tank Engine »

And they'd have the big vat of milk in there as well with a super sized ladle. Use to hook out the milk to put into the steel canister style milkshake cups. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

yeah thats right.
or if you were on a budget and couldn't go for a thickshake, you'd just ask for a squirt of choc syrup in your milk bottle

#14 ·

Quote, originally posted by Mr. Stubby »
f*ck chicko rolls, battered savs were more my scene.

I'm with you there, but battered sav/pluto pups/dagwood dogs were only available at fetes and a few venues. Had the most awesome one at a fish and chips shop in London. Almost came all over it.

#15 ·

Quote, originally posted by WAY »
Flower Drum is over rated.

You need to elaborate on this, if there's actual substance to your view than the typical $5-all-you-can-eat cliched response.

Modified by TheHamofMam at 6:48 PM 9-30-2009

#16 ·

I'm with you there, but battered sav/pluto pups/dagwood dogs were only available at fetes and a few venues. Had the most awesome one at a fish and chips shop in London. Almost came all over it.

zeif, every chipper/milkbar i ever went to sold battered savs, pluto pups/dagwoods were a different batter on a stick and not the same thing..
also its getting harder to get a propper bacon and egg "roll" on a hamburger bun with the eggs and bacon cooked stacked ontop of each other for the flavors as is the style of olde milkbars.. chucking some runny half cooked eggs and some barely cooked strips of bacon in a long roll isnt the same thing and it drives me crazy haha

#18 ·

I do not know of a good wog burger milk bar anymore?
anyone?
maybe down in Adelaide or perth, somewhere they still have not phased them all out yet.
I never went the dagwood etc, looked too much like a dog dcik to me to want to eat it.

#19 ·

You fukn connoisseur you, hahahhahaa

haha i think it has more to to with the greeks who did own the lunchshop out the front of my work selling out to asians who have f*cking ruined everything i've eaten there for the last decade..
Im with vwlatino only wogs can do it properly

#20 ·

You need to elaborate on this, if there's actual substance to your view than the typical $5-all-you-can-eat cliched response.

Well I think there is substance to my view for sure given that I frequent a top end restaurant at least once a fortnight and Chinese food is my forte and I eat at a Chinese restaurant at least 3-4 times a week.
Ok, the food is actually pretty good. Fresh ingredients, good balance of taste. But the deco is a bit run down for a top end restaurant, and frankly it is just over priced. At that level, I prefer Silks at Crown, which is generally cheaper as well. But in terms of food, Kum Fook at Doncaster shoppingtown or Teahouse in the city is just as good in taste, but of course it doesn't quite use the same top end ingredients and cuts. The other thing that Teahouse and Kum Fook does better is innovation. They have some pretty cool dishes that you just can't get at boring old FD.

#21 ·

I don't give a flying **** how many top-end restaurants you frequent.
Book FD for you and I and I'll educate you on the finer points of appreciating food.
From your heavy patronage of chinese food, I can safely assume you've pretty much decimated your taste buds with over-seasoned cuisine. You need recalibration, son.

#23 ·

I don't give a flying **** how many top-end restaurants you frequent.
Book FD for you and I and I'll educate you on the finer points of appreciating food.
From your heavy patronage of chinese food, I can safely assume you've pretty much decimated your taste buds with over-seasoned cuisine. You need recalibration, son.

Haha you make a good point about recalibration. But tell me why you think it is so great?

#25 ·

Their reliance on the fresh produce to carry the flavour and texture, as opposed to the liberal use of spices is one of the key differences.
In fact, their considered restraint in over-seasoning is definitive enough, I think, for it to be considered more chinese/fusion, than as a stand-alone chinese ethnic fare.
It's not hard to come 90% of the way to reach a Flower Drum experience (if you can disregard the dried pee stains on the dunny seat) but that extra 10% makes all the difference.
When are you free? Let's do back to back chinese restaurants and do a taste test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.