Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '99 jetta transmission speed sensor

1. 10-02-2009 04:23 PM #1
      What is the resistance between the two pins/connectors of the transmission speed sensor on a '99.5 jetta 4 speed automatic?
      Also, does anybody have a copy of the VW TSB (transmission service bulletin) regarding the speed sensors on this car? Thanks!

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      10-02-2009 05:04 PM #2
      800 ohms. I'm sitting here looking at the bulliten. All it does is define their positions and the relationship to the trouble codes.

Do you have any trouble codes? What do you need to know?

Modified by CoolAirVw at 10:24 AM 12-8-2009

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 10-04-2009 01:59 PM #3
      CoolAirVw: Thanks very much for the resistance value. I had a 00297 fault and just wanted to verify that it was the actual sensor that was the problem, and not something related, like the TCM . My sensor measured approx. 550K Ohms. I put 800 ohms worth of resistors across the sensor harness connector pins, checked for faults again, and it responded with NO FAULTS. Hooray! With this verification, I will install a new sensor and do a test drive.

Regarding the TSB: I don't need to know anything specific. I just wanted to know if there was information about likely problems with the sensors, etc. I think I have all the information I need, especially since you posted the labeled photo of the sensor location. Thanks again.

4. 10-07-2009 11:38 AM #4
      The new transmission speed sensor cured the problem. It doesn't go into limp mode any more and it shifts through all the gears. However, the 2-3 shift is very harsh. Is this something that needs to be fixed by me, or will the computer "adapt" over time, or do I need to reset something...?

Vehicles
      10-07-2009 11:57 PM #5
      you can try resetting adapts with vag-com ...
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=847221

or try the manual reset.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4466549

Modified by CoolAirVw at 8:01 PM 10-7-2009

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

6. 12-08-2009 01:54 PM #6
      When you replaced your speed sensor, which did you replace and what did you have to do to swap it *assuming you didn't pull your trans just for the sensor*? I was told I had to remove a trans mount to get to G68, but it looks like I'd need to pull the battery and the air box just to get down there? (this is on a beetle mind you)
      Also which pins did you check Ohms across. If I'm looking at this correctly, it's a 3 pin connector by the Solenoid connector that I need to check across pins on, but which two?
      The G68 sensor on my car is apparently bad, but I'm having trouble being confident the parts place is giving me the right thing because looking at this photo it appears to me that G68 and G38 are very different parts yet the parts place only lists one sensor.
      Am I correct in thinking the G68 sensor should come with a long wire attached to it or is there a removable cap at the sensor that's not apparent in the photo?
      Thanks, can't wait to get this thing fixed. Limp mode is something like lame mode!

Vehicles
      12-08-2009 02:24 PM #7
      You will have to remove the, battery and airbox and then the mount bracket that is on top of the sensor. You'll need some new bolts also. The "bracket" to trans bolts and the bracket to mount bolts are stretch bolts and should be replaced.

The g68 is a 3 pin with long wire.

Ohm check all 3 pins. The 3rd pin just goes to ground, so if you dont find the right resistance then you'll know. If you do find the right resistance you could still have a intermittant short or open in the sensor.

www.KansasCityTdi.com

8. 12-08-2009 02:30 PM #8
      Thanks, I'm gonna check it out today.

9. 12-08-2009 03:16 PM #9
      Okay, so I know the reading is supposed to be 800... mine was 724 at pins 1-2 and 0 everywhere else ... can I assume then that this means it's far enough "out" to be a problem?

Vehicles
      12-08-2009 03:21 PM #10
      724 is acceptable, but it doesn't mean the sensor is good.

I got a question for you... you named pins. Are you getting those numbers off the connector? And in the picture above can you tell me which pins had the ;724 ohms? I'll paste a label on that pic for other folks future reference.

Modified by CoolAirVw at 11:24 AM 12-8-2009

Modified by CoolAirVw at 11:24 AM 12-8-2009

www.KansasCityTdi.com

11. 12-08-2009 03:56 PM #11
      The pin numbers I'm using were actually printed very small in the housing of the tail next to the pins on the G68 sensor. Number one was the furthest rearward, number 3 was the furthest forward when mounted. Not sure I could get a quality pic and I've never uploaded a pic on this sight, but I'll check. Okay, here it is... I think. As you can see, I removed the bolt holding the bracket down to the trans, but you can tell orientation in reference to hole for the round pin connector. Removing the bracket made it easier to pull the connector and to take the pic.
      [IMG][/IMG]

Modified by VWbeetlefix at 12:15 PM 12-8-2009

Modified by VWbeetlefix at 12:16 PM 12-8-2009

12. 12-27-2009 02:57 PM #12
      I finally found the time to work on this problem again. I tried the manual reset to eliminate the harsh 2-3 shift, but it didn't help. So, I did the auto transmission basic settings via VAG-COM and that eliminated the problem with the 2-3 shift! It is now shifting like it should. Thanks for all the help.

13. 05-31-2011 08:35 PM #13
      anyone know the part number for sensor g38? all the parts shops around here cant seem to find the part or if they find one it doesnt specify whether its the input or output.