Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Passat Transmission Slipping, etc

1. 10-03-2009 08:13 PM #1
      I have a 2003 Passat GLS with the 1.8T engine and an A/T. Lately the A/T is acting up. When I slow to a stop, the engine stumbles and then catches itself. It's very similar to what happens when you have a manual trans and wait too long to let out the clutch when you're slowing to a stop. Also, I've observed some slipping in various situations such as downshifting or sudden acceleration. When it does downshift, it sometimes slams into the lower gear. The car has only 74,000 miles and has been driven pretty gently.

I thought it would make sense to first try flushing and replacing the fluid and strainer and cleaning the pan. Is it OK to do a drain & replace, or should I definitely do a "flush" where the new fluid is pumped in the lines until it comes out the other end. I've heard that if you don't do a "flush", you're leaving half the dirty fluid in the box.

What does it cost to replace the transmission?

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      10-03-2009 09:36 PM #2
      You say your slip feels like the engine stumbles. How do you know its not the engine stumbling. (sorry to ask the obvious)

Flush is good, they all need it, but it rarely fixes anything. Trans is expensive.

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 10-03-2009 10:38 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by CoolAirVw »
      You say your slip feels like the engine stumbles. How do you know its not the engine stumbling.

It's not the engine. It feels like the tranny comes out of gear too late forcing the engine to stumble, much like what would happen with a man trans when you let the clutch out too late.

Quote »
      Flush is good, they all need it, but it rarely fixes anything. Trans is expensive.

Interesting. So why should I waste the money for a flush? Bottom line is that if the flush doesn't help, I'm going to trade the car in before it gets worse.

So how much would a trans replacement cost? (I assume they swap it out for a rebuilt.)

4. 10-04-2009 07:44 PM #4
      Richard (and others),

What are your thoughts on:

(i) replacing with a new tranny (most expensive)

vs

(ii) replacing with a rebuilt tranny

vs.

(iii) having my tranny rebuilt

vs

(iv) replacing with a used guaranteed tranny (least expensive)

Modified by rocketmann at 4:45 PM 10-4-2009

Vehicles
      10-04-2009 08:10 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by rocketmann »
      Interesting. So why should I waste the money for a flush?

A transmission service and flush is preventive maintanance, not a repair. The reason you would "waste the money" is to prevent having the problem your having now.

It's not the engine. It feels like the tranny comes out of gear too late forcing the engine to stumble, much like what would happen with a man trans when you let the clutch out too late.

This still doesn't sound like a trans problem to me. Trans operational problems usually come with 3 descriptions. (ignoring noises and leaks)

1. Lack of power (only thing trans related that will cause lack of power is high gear start)

2. Slip (always described with RPM. ie Rpms are 2700 on hiway and they used to be 2400 (no TCC) ie Rpms increase as 2-3 shift happens (2-3 flare) ie No reverse (rpms too high when I try to reverse)

3. Harsh gear changes. ie Jerks as 2-3 shift happens.

Oh shazbot! I've been saying these three for years but as I'm typing this I'm thinking of others like TCC coming on when it shouldn't (trailer hitching or lugging the motor) or Bind up ie I put it in reverse and it goes into gear but wont even roll when I gas it hard.

Back to your description of the problem.....

You said, "It comes out of gear too late". When should it come out of gear early? Seems to me it should stay in gear all the time (when in gear of course).

FYI I'm not knocking you, I just want to understand what the trans is doing so that I can help.

Of course you should scan the TCM with vag-com, and check the fluid level.

Modified by CoolAirVw at 5:18 PM 10-4-2009

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '74 Bug (yard), '96 Jetta 255K (yard), '02 Cabrio 104K (yard), '06 Rabbit 107K BGP, '08 Jetta 30K
      10-04-2009 08:17 PM #6
      I've done pan drops with fluid/filter changes on my ATs. I figured it was good to change the filter and clean the pan and magnet.

It would be a god idea to get a trans service done (flush or drop the pan), but you need to diagnose this problem a little further. Do you have engine or transmission codes? Do you keep up with your routine tuneups?

Vehicles
      10-04-2009 08:28 PM #7
      I would suggest comparing prices with warranty.

Acess how much liability you can accept, the more you can accept the cheaper you can go.

Remember your "used" trans was working just before it started acting up. Its very possible you can get a bad one, or one that dont last very long. (just happended to one of my customers last week on a taurus)

Remember buying off internet is risky. Audi A4 customer bought a mail order rebuilt trans and it lasted 3 months. They will not warranty it, so he bought another mail order trans from a different company. The first one the 2nd company sent had virtually no 3rd. So they sent us another. Guess what Mr. Customer had to pay labor again! Internet company doesn't reimburse for these type of problems.

Another customer bought a rebuilt trans from a local shop Mr. Transmission. (BMW ZF trans). 6 months after spending 1700 dollars (too cheap really) it failed and they refuse to warranty it.

Lots of problems possible and lots of risk every way you turn.

www.KansasCityTdi.com

8. 10-04-2009 09:28 PM #8
      Richard,

The stumbling just before coming to a stop is not the only problem, nor the problem concerning me the most. As I said in my original post, "I've observed some slipping in various situations such as downshifting or sudden acceleration. When it does downshift, it sometimes slams into the lower gear." These problems started exactly the same time as the stumbling before stopping. That's why I believed they were related.

Out of the 3 usual problems you described, I'm getting all three. Not all the time, but it seems to be getting worse and more often.

Should I check the TCM first before doing a flush? Or should I do the flush and filter replacement and pan cleaning first?

9. 10-04-2009 09:33 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by CoolAirVw »
      I would suggest comparing prices with warranty.

. . .

Lots of problems possible and lots of risk every way you turn.

I don't know any good local transmission shop (northern suburbs NYC). Any opinions about AAMCO or Lee Myles?

Vehicles
      10-04-2009 09:44 PM #10
      Should I check the TCM first before doing a flush? Or should I do the flush and filter replacement and pan cleaning first?

Do you mean check the TCM for codes by scanning with vag-com? Yes, do that first.

Modified by CoolAirVw at 6:46 PM 10-4-2009

www.KansasCityTdi.com

11. 10-10-2009 10:37 PM #11
      Richard,

I had the car in to a local transmission shop. (One of the big national franchise shops) They told me the car is showing Codes 17114 / PO 0730. They said fluid level is good, and color is starting to turn. Surprisingly, they stated that they didn't get a code for a bad thermostat that was showing up consistently a couple of months ago. They said the problem is definitely internal damage, and the tranny will have to be removed dissambled and inspected. Cost = $1,172.50, but that doesn't include any repairs, which he said could be anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000. (If the repairs are done, the $1,172 is credited against the cost).

They also said that the tranny was stuck in 3rd gear during the test drive and all the indicator lights came on. This is something I NEVER observed. There was a lot of high pressure sales tactics and warning me that I could get stranded without warning. They also didn't have any written printout to give me claiming that it's all on the computer and can't print out. Frankly, I was skeptical of their diagnosis.

Isn't Code 17114 a generic code that doesn't really pinpoint the problem? How do I even know if the car generated those codes? Does the VAG-COM print out a report?

Time for a second opinion, I think.

Any other thoughts?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '74 Bug (yard), '96 Jetta 255K (yard), '02 Cabrio 104K (yard), '06 Rabbit 107K BGP, '08 Jetta 30K
      10-11-2009 08:34 AM #12
      AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out

Not surprised with their diagnosis. Sounds very much like the dealer line most times.

13. 10-11-2009 06:22 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by FL 2.0L »

I was afraid of that. But I do like the acronym.

Quote »
      Not surprised with their diagnosis. Sounds very much like the dealer line most times.

Are you surprised that they didn't give me a printout with my VIN on it showing the Codes?

Next time, I'm riding along when someone does a road test.

14. 10-15-2009 12:39 AM #14
      I think it's better if you defines passat transmission through at least one pics.

15. 10-16-2009 07:36 PM #15
      << AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out >>

The above is what you told me a week ago. Well, here's the latest: I took the car to a local auto parts place that does a free Code check. What they found was what I expected, and suspected. No transmission Codes at all appeared. Only the cooling system Code P2181 that I was aware of.

So again I ask: How do I even know if the car generated those bad transmission codes at AAMCO? And why didn't AAMCO's check of the codes reveal the P2181 code that's been there for several months? And the fact that the guy at AAMCO gave me some b.s. reason for why he couldn't give me a printout showing the bad codes makes me even more suspicious.

So next step I guess is to have the fluid drained/replaced or flushed, have the pan cleaned and examined, have someone check the electrics and whatever else can be checked from underneath, and see where that takes us.

One last thing: When I put the tranny into Sport Mode, where you shift manually, it seems to perform just fine.

Any further thoughts would be welcome.

16. 10-24-2009 02:07 AM #16
      << AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out >>

The above is what you told me a week ago. Well, here's the latest: I took the car to a local auto parts place that does a free Code check. What they found was what I expected, and suspected. No transmission Codes at all appeared. Only the cooling system Code P2181 that I was aware of.

So again I ask: How do I even know if the car generated those bad transmission codes at AAMCO? And why didn't AAMCO's check of the codes reveal the P2181 code that's been there for several months? And the fact that the guy at AAMCO gave me some b.s. reason for why he couldn't give me a printout showing the bad codes makes me even more suspicious.

So next step I guess is to have the fluid drained/replaced or flushed, have the pan cleaned and examined, have someone check the electrics and whatever else can be checked from underneath, and see where that takes us.

One last thing: When I put the tranny into Sport Mode, where you shift manually, it seems to perform just fine.

Any further thoughts would be welcome.

How is your diagnosing going?

My car slips a little from 2-3 and 3-4 and has harsh gear changes only after this hill on an offramp to my school.

Hooked up a scanner and I had no codes but we couldn't check out for Transmission codes cause we didn't have a scanner for VWs lol.

17. 10-24-2009 01:57 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by SpiderX1016 »

How is your diagnosing going?

My car slips a little from 2-3 and 3-4 and has harsh gear changes only after this hill on an offramp to my school.

Hooked up a scanner and I had no codes but we couldn't check out for Transmission codes cause we didn't have a scanner for VWs lol.

I didn't know you needed a special scanner for VW.

At this point, I'm going to have the fluid changed or flushed, inspect any components that could be inspected from underneath with the pan dropped, and see where that takes me. I'm trying to find a tranny shop that I trust.

Vehicles
      10-25-2009 10:19 AM #18
      Well, here's the latest: I took the car to a local auto parts place that does a free Code check. What they found was what I expected, and suspected. No transmission Codes at all appeared. Only the cooling system Code P2181 that I was aware of.

This is funny. Notice a difference in the format of the code AAmco gave you versus the code that your "local auto parts place" gave you? Aamco scanned the transmission computer with a VAG-specific scanner like vag-com, (or possibly snap-on scanner with VW cartridge or possibly other VAG-specific. Your "local auto parts place" scanned the Engine Computer with a generic code checker.

LISTEN UP FOLKS! You cant diagnose your VW trans problems without scanning the transmission computer. It would be like trying to check tire pressure on the LF tire by putting a pressure gauge on the Air conditioning system.

And why didn't AAMCO's check of the codes reveal the P2181 code that's been there for several months?

Because he scanned the Trans computer not the engine computer. Maybe he should have scanned the engine computer also, but hey, he's a trans shop and you came to him with a trans problem.

[QUOTE=rocketmann] And the fact that the guy at AAMCO gave me some b.s. reason for why he couldn't give me a printout

If he scanned with most scanners, (ie snap on, OTC or others) then they have no possible way of printing the codes. I'm the only one I've ever known, who had a printer that would print codes out of the snap-on scanner. But I literally threw it away, years ago because there was no point. It just sat there for years. Full of dust from sitting in the shop. When I wanted to use it, I had to change the ribbon (yes it was that old), because it was dried out from just sitting. I eventually just threw it away. I've never seen anyother shop with one of those printers, and I know many other shops very well because we sell them transmissions.

The generic code checker that the auto parts stores use have those little printers built in. But shops dont use them. Generic code checkers only give codes mandated by the OBDII standard. P0001 to P1000. There are lots more "vehicle specific" codes issued by the individual car manufacturers. For instance, On a 99 Monte Carlo with a 4T65E trans they commonly trigger code P1811. There is no seperate trans computer on this car. But yet if you check with a generic code checker it will show "NO CODES". Why? Because P1811 is higher than P1000. It simply cant show that code.

Vag-com has provision for printing codes, but its on a laptop computer. I can tell you this, my shop has PC's with printers, and my shop a laptop (actually its a tablet PC) with Vag-com. But I've never once printed codes for a customer from Vag-com because the printers are hooked to the PC's! I'm not gonna crawl under the desk and unhook stuff and install drivers ect. No way.

.....makes me even more suspicious.

Your reasons for being suspicious are only due to your lack of understanding.

Oh, and code 17114 usually does mean a trans problem. Honestly it would usually mean a internal problem requiring rebuild, but could be low fluid, or a mechanical problem with a solenoid.

Modified by CoolAirVw at 7:40 AM 10-25-2009

www.KansasCityTdi.com

19. 10-25-2009 01:47 PM #19
      Richard,

Thank you for that detailed explanation. I always thought that one hooks up a scanner and gets all the DTCs, and they're done. You've helped me understand that there's a lot more to it than that.

I'm going to bring it to a tranny shop in my area for a fluid change. I'll have them check the DTCs again and see what they come up with.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T AWW, 2000 Passat 2.8 V6 ATQ
      10-26-2009 09:18 PM #20
      Robert (rocketman),

Move the right front seat back and remove the right front door sill trim panels, and lift up the carpet and jute on the passenger front floor to make sure you don't have any moisture or water beneath the carpet. If your cars fresh air intake housing gasket for the pollen filter is or was split, you may have water intrusion which has now turnded to corrosion in the TCM and or harness connectors. Inspect the inside of the plastic TCM box while you are there. What you're describing sounds distinctly like this condition. Have seen it many times. Especially if the recall for modifying the sunroof drains and resealing the housing wasn't performed until late.

Modified by Lambo 1 at 6:20 PM 10-26-2009

21. 10-27-2009 11:51 AM #21
      My sister has a 03 Passat witht eh 1.8T in it. She has started experienceing some strage transmission issues in the past two days. The first is that when starting out from a stop, it feels like it's in too high of a gear. The other issue is that the display int he dash that shows what gear she's in is showing all gears lit up light they're all engage. She is also getting a the anti slip warning coming on randomly. EDoes this sound liek the moister issue you mentioned? She told me the other day that her A/C was leaking. (I'm trying to help from many states away).

Thanks,
      Lea320.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T AWW, 2000 Passat 2.8 V6 ATQ
      10-27-2009 03:52 PM #22
      It is possible that her A/C drain is clogged, but more than likely her pollen filter housing gasket is leaking if she is seeing moisture on the floor and the car smells musty inside. Sometimes the sunroof drains will clog also spilling over into the car. I would remove the sill molding and look beneath the carpet for moisture. If so check and reseal the pollen filter housing and dry out the TCM and box. Sometimes you can get lucky after cleaning the connections and drying things out.

23. 10-27-2009 08:13 PM #23
      hey guys, i have similar problems, VW passat 150K / 1.8, when i drive and it is cold and the tranny shifts downwards specially between 2 & 1 it feels like i slam the breakes for 1/2 a second or so, it is better when i am in 'S' mode.
      now for a few days, i have the issue that it starts slipping when i am driving (straight interstate, nothing changes). feels like enigne cutting out on me and coming right back. there are no codes (VAG COM checked) and no lights came on so far.

any suggestions ? since the tranny has 150K on it i believe it is time for this ... correct?

thank you for all your hlep!

24. 10-30-2009 11:18 PM #24
      I finally found a trustworthy tran shop in my area. They checked the TCM and found no codes. I had them change the fluid and strainer. They found a little metal in the pan, but just a little. Within the range of normal, they said. No observation of clutch material. They said the fluid level was low. They thoroughly cleaned the pan and put the new fluid and strainer in.

I drove the car out and its perfect. Silky smooth upshifts and downshifts. No stumbling anymore as I roll to a stop. Smoother, quieter operation overall. The car seems a bit quicker too. The car feels like it's two years younger.

Remember when I brought it to AAMCO about a month ago and they insisted that the tranny has to come out for a total rebuild, and they mysteriously found the codes (which no one else found) that supported their diagnosis?

Thank you to everyone here who made me a much smarter consumer.

Modified by rocketmann at 8:19 PM 10-30-2009

Modified by rocketmann at 8:20 PM 10-30-2009

25. 09-25-2010 04:53 PM #25
      Lambo 1
      Re: (rocketmann)

Robert (rocketman),
      Move the right front seat back and remove the right front door sill trim panels, and lift up the carpet and jute on the passenger front floor to make sure you don't have any moisture or water beneath the carpet. ....
      ----------------------------
      Lambo...Having serious problems w/shifting in my 2000 V6 Passat...Don't have the money right now to take it to the dealers (50 miles away)...Saw your advice to Rocketman to remove the TCM and clean it up......Already removed the panel where all the connectors are..Only thing seems to be holding the carpet is the plasctic strip running along the lenght of the floorboard w/the top of it in the door's rubber seal...Tried to pry it up, but there is no give (don't want to break anything)....Is that normal? Is there anything else that I need to pull? I would appreciate any/all suggestions.

26. 10-02-2010 10:49 AM #26
      Hi i have a 99 1.8t with a 5 speed auto trans,anyway the car was running fine until we had a major rain storm for 2 days.I had the car parked and when i got in it there was a flood on the passenger side floor.as i drove the car i had the fan on and made a turn and heard a gurgle sound and the fan struggled to work.i drove about 200 yrds and boom the trans went in to lockdown.i limped it home and the ck engine light is now on and the shift cluster is blank.after sitting and turning the key on and off the cluster appears but is in safty mode,then it goes to 54321 and blank..i looked under the car and can see water comming out .any info would be apreciated,thanks Marc