Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Archive: Classic Jean Shepherd Humor From Car and Driver...

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      10-04-2009 11:26 AM #1
      I believe that here in TCL, you are either a Jean Shepherd fan, or you are about to become one. For several years, this great American humorist (and probably America's favorite Hoosier ) had a monthly column in Car and Driver magazine, and like with anything else he lent his presence to, he brightened C/D with his wit and good humor (and occasionally, his sarcasm, too ). Jean's sarcasm shines through in this piece on out-of-state drivers, and our universal contempt for them (admit it). Some things never change. I threw-in the front and back covers of the issue for fun, and to comply with Rule #1. Enjoy!

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      10-04-2009 11:29 AM #2
      I can't say the author's assertion that judging neighboring states' drivers is without reason. I've never seen people drive quite like they do in Ohio. It's as though people have no where they need to be. They'll stop to help someone trying to make a left hand turn into traffic despite their having right of way (and holding up many people in the process). It's not that people don't drive aggressively, but they drive VERY sedately, almost as if they're afraid. There are many times you'll pass someone legally only to have them curse you and flash their lights. I haven't experienced this elsewhere.

It's probably a combo of very strict law enforcement and very lax driver's ed training. They don't even have vehicle inspections here. Who knows? The author, having grown up in Indiana, citing the example of Illinois drivers, probably lived in an area much like mine. The Illinois driver could've been from Chicago, where people tend to drive with more urgency than in Indiana. Just a guess. I just don't think it's as arbitrary as the author says.

Quote, originally posted by vwlarry »

Never knew much about these beyond the name... interesting stuff.

Modified by HerrGolf at 4:49 PM 10-4-2009

Vehicles
      JB4 335xi, Prius
      10-04-2009 12:32 PM #3
      I agree. Here in KY, the worst drivers I've ever seen ALWAYS have Ohio plates. But at UK, I'd say that 90% of the girls that come here from OH are in sororities and sorostitutes are terrible drivers anyways.
      TCL pearl #452: You cannot name a car that would not be improved with a LSx engine.

335- 12.2@115

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge stratus SXT Coupe
      10-04-2009 12:42 PM #4
      ohio drivers = crap, i swear, if one person is merging on the freeway either its an insta traffic jam 'cuz no one can effing merge, or they slow down to 40 to let you pass, however they are already half way in the lane so i have to get over quick or slam on the brakes
      "Play a Windows CD backwards and hear scary messages. Thats nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows"
      Homebrewers of the 'tex. Join us! Home brewers CHECK IN please!

Vehicles
      06 GTI, 03 Passat
      10-04-2009 01:47 PM #5
      Thanks for the post! Sometimes I wish I would have saved some of my old C&D and R&T mags to look at occationally.

I discovered Competition Press (now Autoweek) in 1972. I used to scour those old paper editions.

6. 10-04-2009 02:29 PM #6
      All of the states bordering Massachusetts do agree on one thing, though.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      10-04-2009 04:02 PM #7
      I grew up just a few miles away from where Shepherd listened to his dad cussing out Illinois drivers, in NW Indiana, and we did learn at an early age to hate Illinois drivers with a passion. But as much as we despised Illinois drivers, it was the drivers of Michigan and Wisconsin that received the truly white-hot bile spewings from us "Region Rats" (NW Indiana is known as the Calumet Region). Whenever they passed through, and they had to pass through, because Lake Michigan left them no choice in the matter, they really got an earful, and/or plenty of dirty rotten looks from the locals.

They deserved it, too. 'Bunch o' damned idjits.

Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle