Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Steering wheel shakes pulls left

Vehicles
      02 gti
      10-05-2009 09:22 AM #1
      During accel, deccel, and even just cruising there is a slight back and forth shake in my steering wheel and slowly shakes to the left. My car pulls to the left when cruising and even worse when accelerating. What would be causing this problem and what should I look for? Thanks.

2. 10-05-2009 12:31 PM #2
      Tires are out of balance due to being not balanced correctly or a missing balance weight or 2 or a delaminating belt or some other issue that I haven't thought of. Pulling to left could be front end alignment issues due to worn components (ball joints, bushings, etc) or incorrectly aligned front end. Hope this helps.

Mike

Vehicles
      04 .:R32; 20th a.e.;87 rattled black Toyo;94 AWD caravan;97 Gti Vr6T;82 924 porsche
      10-05-2009 05:57 PM #3
      how bald are your tires? my moneys on slipped belt/delamination of belt (never heard that term mike! lol) of your tires.

tires can make your vehicle pull as well. put some new rubber on those bad boys and then see if it pulls.

4. 10-05-2009 10:24 PM #4
      my money is on either the front wheels are either toed in or out. i had the same problem on my 944. but i also had evey problem under the sun. anyway by the time i figured it out i replaced strut inserts, balljoins, and tierod ends, even rims because the others were all out of wack. turns out you are allowed (i forgot the messurment but ill use numbers) 35 (blank) of vibration and i had 45(black) of vibration. then after the tierods i did the alignment and what do ya know problem solved. that should give ya an idea.

Vehicles
      2005/Audi S4, 2001/VW/Jetta GLX(RIP)
      10-06-2009 04:44 AM #5
      i would say possibly the strut needs to be replaced or a balancing/tire issue. when the strut went bad on my car it did a decent amount of vibe when the clutch was engaged and you were going over 30 but it also broke suddenly when doing a hard shift from first to second... just my .02

Vehicles
      04 .:R32; 20th a.e.;87 rattled black Toyo;94 AWD caravan;97 Gti Vr6T;82 924 porsche
      10-06-2009 04:45 AM #6
      his symptonms are accel/decel/ and cruising.

just an alignment (not balancing since some get this confused) will NOT cause a vibration. the only possibly way for an alignment to cause a vibration is under two conditions.....

1) you have negative caster (shopping cart wheel going back and forth if you will). if you have negative caster you have bigger problems then a vibration. you would have a hugely bent part that would be pretty visable. no vehicle to this date is made with negative caster.

2) an out of aligned car could wear the tires in a certain pattern..inside worn faster..outside worn faster..middle worn faster etc.. this would throw off the balancing of your rims/tires and therfor cause a shake. not because of alignemtn..but because of an out of balance tire. so the timeline goes liek this.. alignment out of spec> wore tires unevenly>tires now out of balance. the cause is the alignemnt..the problem is balancing..the solution is aligment and new tires or balancing.

an out of balance tire will normally shake at higher speeds...50-90 mph or somewhere in that genaral area.

a slip belt or defective tire will normally shake at low speeds...5-30mph. and 90 percent of the time that slipped belt will cause the vehicle to pull/drift/wander to the side that the tire is on. so Right pull will be the RF tire being bad.

a tie-rod will not cause a shake at cruising speed. if you wnat to be technical again the only way a tie-rod "could" possibly cause a shaking or vibration condition is with load change. lets say you have 1 inch of tie-rod movement. during a hard bump the tie-rod "might" pop the full 1 inch play. this would be felt possibly with a steering wheel change. after that said bump the tie-rod will go back to its resting spot. once again you will see the steering wheel change. but that is it..it will not constantly cause a shaking condition. it will pop once the full movement and then pop back the full movement. it might even have a ripple effect kind of feeling.

but this is being picky on my part.. im just trying to inform others of these scenerios. alot of people get thigns confused and there is alot to be aware of. alot of things could cause shakes, squeels, clunks, rattles, pops. the more info that is out there the more people are aware.

i can already tell this problem is going to be a bad tire. OP will come back and say " yes it is a lower speed vibration". its time for 2 or 4 new tires OP

Modified by waabaah at 1:48 AM 10-6-2009

Vehicles
      02 gti
      10-07-2009 02:02 AM #7
      Steering wheel shakes more at higher speeds like highway cruising. Pulls left all the time, worse faster i accel. Pulls around pretty good when hitting bumps to. Tires are only a couple thousand miles old .

Vehicles
      10-07-2009 12:04 PM #8
      get your tires balanced for the highway speed vibration.

get an alignment to take care of the pull.

Vehicles
      Owned: 2005.5 Jetta, 2007 Rabbit, 2x 2010 Jetta, 2012 GTI OWN: 1996 Jetta VR6, 2013 GTI, 2013 GOLF
      09-26-2014 04:11 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
      Steering wheel shakes more at higher speeds like highway cruising. Pulls left all the time, worse faster i accel. Pulls around pretty good when hitting bumps to. Tires are only a couple thousand miles old .
      I have the same issue and I am sitting on coilovers. I went to a few shops, and about everyone had like a dumb founded look and could not figure it out. Either way I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow and will have them take a look at it. Also I have 4 new shoes coming in for it, and then I will also get an alignment done. Hopefully that will solve the freaking issue. I will keep you posted, thank you for the advice though.
      MAC ATTACK