Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Seat won't latch into position (2000 jetta)

1. 10-07-2009 03:12 PM #1
      This morning I went to adjust my seat for my wife in my 2000 Jetta and once I slide the seat forwards, it wouldn't lock into position. The car is a GLS VR6 and the seats are heated with manual adjustments.

I noticed that there is a "pin" that locks into the sliding rack (that has holes in it for each position): it looks like the pin is not popping back out to engage the holes (when compared to the passenger side which works fine).

The system kind of looks like a bicycle brake in that there's a cable inside a housing and when you pull up on the handle to adjust the seat position, it pulls the pin out of the rack. When I pull up the handle I can see the whole housing system compress, so I know that the cable's not broken (and if it was, the seat would be locked into place). I have the opposite problem which is it looks like the pin won't engage the rails and hence, I can't lock the seat into place!

So, I'm guessing that either the pin's jammed (i.e. not lubed enough), or that there is a spring that's possibly broken.

Anyone have any ideas and is this a part that a mechanically inclined guy who doesn't have a lot of experience working on cars can fix fairly easily (like when I replaced my VR6 idler pulley a few months ago with help from an excellent DIY on this site)?

Thanks!

Modified by Knolly at 12:13 PM 10-7-2009

2. 10-29-2009 01:11 PM #2
      I've been having the exact same problem with my drivers side seat in my 2001 GTI VR6. I'm sure the locking mechanism is identical even though my seat does the pop-up and forward thing to allow rear seat access.

I'll be pulling the seat out this weekend to see what I can do. If anyone has fixed this problem before, please don't be shy

3. 10-29-2009 01:15 PM #3
      I didn't realize I couldn't select "Watch this topic" with a quick reply... so here's a full reply so I can

4. 11-14-2009 10:37 AM #4
      Hey,
      I had the exact same problem this morning. Wife drove the car yesterday, I hopped in and went to drive her to work and Bam! No latching action for me.

Anyway, after reading the posts on here I decided to see if it was just an easy case of not being lubricated enough. I went out...shot some WD-40 on the latching mechinism while I pulled it up and down a few times. Now she is locking in possition like nobodies business.

I hope you guys have as good of luck getting it to work!

5. 01-26-2010 03:59 PM #5
      I had this problem with the driver's seat in my 2001 Jetta GLX. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the Bowden Seat Latch Cable. $43.50 for the part, $88.00 for an hour's labor, plust 8% sales tax. Now the passenger side is not latching. I'll get the WD40 and let ya know how it goes.

-J

6. 01-26-2010 04:02 PM #6
      I forgot to follow up on this. WD-40 did the trick for me... it was certainly better than giving any amount of money to a dealership!

7. 02-14-2010 08:31 PM #7
      Success! Hit the pin with some WD40, wiggled the latch until it released, and it's working now. Brother-in-law was at the house, had some PB Blaster spray lubricant in his Jeep. Hit the pin with a shot of that, too. Thanks, guarddog, for the clue. Yes, it beats the stealership price!

-J

8. 11-04-2011 03:31 PM #8
      Success here also! I sprayed the the pin with WD40 and waited 5 minutes. I then lifted the latch under the driver seat 10-15 times while I continuously sprayed more WD40. The latch released and will now hold the driver seat in place!! Thank you Thank You!

9. 01-28-2012 01:32 PM #9
      WD40 worked!

Sprayed it on the pin in the mechanism and waited a few, jiggled the handle and it popped back in place

Thanks for the tip!

10. 02-15-2012 06:34 AM #10
      2001 jetta tdi . anyone else having this issue.. I think the cable may have broke loose from the latch you pull up on.. on the seat ?.. has anyone replaced anything involved with that, Im going out now to see if i can tell more.. somehow I dont think it just needs some lube.. but i can hope
      Thx kdip

Vehicles
      2003 GTI, 2011 Jetta
      05-20-2013 02:23 PM #11
      I'm so glad I found this thread. Good lookin out fellas