VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles???

28K views 188 replies 104 participants last post by  gsprobe02 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles??? (rohman)

Damn.
What kind of maintenance initially will have to be performed to get it running, when stuff sits for a long time you could have potentially more problems right?

#6 ·
Re: Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles??? (Blitz16v)

Quote, originally posted by Blitz16v »
Damn.
What kind of maintenance initially will have to be performed to get it running, when stuff sits for a long time you could have potentially more problems right?

Absolutely. Change all fluids, including brake fluid. Test brakes (press pedal as hard as you can for extended period) for leaks/failures, do tune up, drive home and pray you make it.

Modified by Air and water do mix at 12:05 PM 10-8-2009

#10 ·
Re: Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles??? (VarianceVQ)

Quote, originally posted by VarianceVQ »
How much does anyone want to bet the guy who buys it will slam, stretch, poke, rust and roofrack it to within an inch of its life?

That would be a shame, considering it is in such original condition. Not gonna lie though i would re-work the suspension and keep the original parts if i ever wanted to go back to original. But other than that i would keep it as is!

#13 ·
Re: Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles??? (Blitz16v)

Quote, originally posted by Blitz16v »
Damn.

I'd love to hear from someone who has actually done it. I think this is mostly a myth. My guess is that you could change the fluids and go have fun.

#16 ·
Re: (mikeferg75)

Beautiful and one-of-a-kind...I'm going to guess the final price ends up somewhere in the $10K range. Fortunately when you talk about ones in this condition, and at price points that get up that high (relative to what a more typical example would sell for), your buyers generally end up being actual enthusiasts who have a love for the vehicle as it sits, rather than some kid who is interested in hacking it up...more like 40-year-old guys who had one of these in high school and have fond memories of it.

#17 ·
Re: (retro_rocket)

Quote, originally posted by retro_rocket »
Beautiful and one-of-a-kind...I'm going to guess the final price ends up somewhere in the $10K range. Fortunately when you talk about ones in this condition, and at price points that get up that high (relative to what a more typical example would sell for), your buyers generally end up being actual enthusiasts who have a love for the vehicle as it sits, rather than some kid who is interested in hacking it up...more like 40-year-old guys who had one of these in high school and have fond memories of it.

I would think that it will go for $18-20k if the right buyer(Leno-type) appears.

#18 ·
Re: Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles??? (VarianceVQ)

Quote, originally posted by VarianceVQ »
How much does anyone want to bet the guy who buys it will slam, stretch, poke, rust and roofrack it to within an inch of its life?

id probably drop it if i bought it... but then again... im not a real car enthusiast because im not 40 years old and keep it the exact way... although i did have one in high school

Modified by GTI Fish 7 at 9:39 AM 10-8-2009

#22 ·
Re: Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles??? (GTI Fish 7)

I was thinking that it would gor fro around 6-7k before I clicked on the link. But seeing that it is already at $5600 with 6 days left I think ~10k will be the final price.
What a great car. I really hope it goes to a correct home

#25 ·
Must...resist...urge ...to...bid...

#26 ·
Re: Original 1984 VW Rabbit GTI w/ only 517 miles??? (g60rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by g60rabbit »
Whats the point of buying something thats meant to be driven and not drive it?
Why buy a car for 10k thats worth 1k dollars?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.