VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK4 MP3 Radio, with Volk-L Bluetooth Basic Handsfree

42K views 214 replies 53 participants last post by  bsax 
#1 · (Edited)
Current sale is over. :beer:

#2 ·
FV-QR

Seen this posted twice. Still wondering what the issue is with Monsoon equipped cars?

#3 ·
Re: FV-QR (DGNeo)

Quote, originally posted by DGNeo »
Seen this posted twice. Still wondering what the issue is with Monsoon equipped cars?

Their is no issue with Monsoon equipped cars, the issue is with Monsoon + Onstar cars.
their will be a DIY install on Patryk's car next week http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by JC@DouglasVW »

Their is no issue with Monsoon equipped cars, the issue is with Monsoon + Onstar cars.
their will be a DIY install on Patryk's car next week http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Oh snap. The way it was posted made it seem like it wouldn't work with either Monsoon or OnStar. This is great news, I know I'm not the only one that had this question.
I'll end up ordering one of these soon then http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#6 ·
Re: FV-QR (JC@DouglasVW)

ok here we go with a quick DIY, install will take about 15-20 minutes for cars with premium 6 radios that require a wiring harness adapter and antenna adapter.
This is the wiring harness adapter

This is the antenna adapter

Their is a white zip tie holding a bundle of wires together in the wiring harness, Their are a few extra wires in their we want to remove because we don't need them so cut the zip tie off. The wires we are removing are for cars with factory installed phones and factory installed navigation. Remove the white/blue wire, brown/red, and blue/black and then re-zip tie the harness back together
Removed wires

Now you are left with 2 wires left loose on the harness that are aimed towards the black 8 pin connector. Push the yellow locking tab out of the black connector so you can insert the 2 wires. Insert the all red wire into labeled position 4 on the black connector, this wire is for switched power. Insert the red/white wire into labeled position 7 on the black connector and reinsert the yellow locking tab into the black connector to lock them in. Now you are ready to plug the harness into the back of the new radio.

Some pics of the new radio

Next you want to remove the factory radio.

Plug the new antenna adapter into the old wire

Now plug the new adapter harness connector into the original connector that plugged into the factory wiring harness, you will also have 2 loose wires on the new harness that will be all red and grey/blue. Remove the under dash cover and run the 2 wires down from the radio hole in the dash to the floor by the gas pedal.

now tuck the connector and antenna wire back into the dash and push the new radio into the dashboard to lock it into place

Now run the 2 wires by the gas pedal up under the dash and towards the headlamp switch, push the knob in on the headlamp switch and twist to release it from the dashboard. Now push the tab to release the connector from the headlamp switch. We wanted to scotch tap the wires for a quick install. Tap the grey/blue wire into the illumination wire on the headlamp switch connector, the wire you want to tap is blue/white.

Now take the all red wire and tap that into the black/white wire on the same connector. This is for switched ignition. The black/white wire comes direct from the ignition switch and is on a 15amp fuse so you are good to go. (if you feel better about it you can go direct to the ignition switch but it is more work for no reason)

Slide the harness back into the headlamp switch hole in the dashboard and reconnect the headlamp switch and remount the under dash cover and your install is complete!!!
Enjoy your radio!!!
equalizer options

paired with the Iphone

illuminated pics

#8 ·
Re: MK4 MP3 Radio, with Volk-L Bluetooth Basic Handsfree (JC@DouglasVW)

I assume the port next to the USB on the front can be used for ipod integration correct?
And about the MFA, when you say not supported you just mean radio functions don't show up on the MFA correct?
Looks slick.

#9 ·
Re: MK4 MP3 Radio, with Volk-L Bluetooth Basic Handsfree (Savko@HSTuning)

Quote, originally posted by Savko@HSTuning »
I assume the port next to the USB on the front can be used for ipod integration correct?
And about the MFA, when you say not supported you just mean radio functions don't show up on the MFA correct?
Looks slick.

No. The USB port is for a flash drive. It does not work with iPhone/iPod.

#14 ·

Looks slick.

yes you can use the USB port to play an ipod but most new iphones/ipods are bluetooth so you don't need to plug it in anyways.
It works with cars with MFA but you are correct it doesn't display any info about the radio on the MFA.

#15 ·
Re: FV-QR (dOWa242)

Quote, originally posted by dOWa242 »
this seems real nice.
So this will plug right into a 20th with no issues?

20th will need the adapter harness and antenna adapter we used in the install above, the 2 wires you need to wire will go exactly the same places we used in the install.

#16 ·
Re: FV-QR (veedubb7)

Quote, originally posted by veedubb7 »
When the iPhone is paired, what all is allowed? Can I play music from my phone, via bluetooth, through the head unit? Also, is there a mic attachment to have calls ran through the speakers? I'm asking b/c I see answer/end call buttons there.

you can play your music on your iphone, you can stream music on your iphone and it will play through the speakers. When using the bluetooth to talk to someone you hear the person you are talking to in the car speakers and you talk to the new radio it has 2 built in mic's.
in red shows the 2 mic's that pic up your voice when you are talking to someone.

#17 ·

yes you can use the USB port to play an ipod but most new iphones/ipods are bluetooth so you don't need to plug it in anyways.
It works with cars with MFA but you are correct it doesn't display any info about the radio on the MFA.

I said the port NEXT TO the USB. The AUX port...that's used for ipod cables right?

#18 ·

I said the port NEXT TO the USB. The AUX port...that's used for ipod cables right?

o yes sorry that will be used for non-bluetooth ipods and mp3 players

#19 ·
Has anyone installed their yet? I got mine and installed it this weekend. The bluetooth stereo stream is VERY LOW QUALITY. Much less than that of the radio or cd player. It sounds like an mp3 encoded at a bit rate of something lower than 128 kpbs. All the highs and lows are cut off making it sound like the speakers are blown. Can anyone confirm this? I am using an iPhone 3GS.

#20 ·
Re: (E Coded)

Quote, originally posted by E Coded »
Has anyone installed their yet? I got mine and installed it this weekend. The bluetooth stereo stream is VERY LOW QUALITY. Much less than that of the radio or cd player. It sounds like an mp3 encoded at a bit rate of something lower than 128 kpbs. All the highs and lows are cut off making it sound like the speakers are blown. Can anyone confirm this? I am using an iPhone 3GS.

Try a friends iphone/ipod or something else bluetooth, it should not sound bad. If your friends stuff sounds the same way contact whoever sold you the radio maybe their is something wrong with it.

#21 ·
Re: (JC@DouglasVW)

Try a friends iphone/ipod or something else bluetooth, it should not sound bad. If your friends stuff sounds the same way contact whoever sold you the radio maybe their is something wrong with it.

Im planning on doing that this evening. I will let you know what I find.

#23 ·
Re: (pentaxshooter)

Quote, originally posted by pentaxshooter »
Will def be picking this up soon. I've been wanting to replace the stock headunit, but have never liked how aftermarket ones look. This has the features i want and the OEM look. How long will this intro price last?

it will be running until the end of the month, even once the intro price is over the price will not sky rocket we still want to come in very competitive. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#26 ·

Lose of use of: Single DIN in dash or trunk mounted CD player. REMOVE YOUR CD CARTRIDGE BEFORE STARTING INSTALLATION.

Does this mean you can not use the OEM VW Ipod adaptor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.