Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Water Leakage into Cabin by way of Electronics Box in Right Plenum Chamber [TOC-done]

1. 10-16-2009 02:04 AM #1
      Water seems to be getting into passenger footwell. No electrical shorts have occured yet.

I HAVE READ EVERY POST ON THIS SUBJECT!

I've tried every remedy I could find on the forum, and it seems the only possibility is the hose is disconnected at the firewall drain. I've read the only way to get to it is removing the dash.

I know a bunch of you might think taking this to the dealer and paying thousands of dollars is the best move. But I just can't rationalize spending that kind of money right now on something I could do myself.

If anyone has taken apart their dash, or experienced the same problem it would be greatly appreciated if I could get some step by step instructions so I don't mess anything up.

I was thinking about just going screw by screw, but then realized there might be someone here who I can learn from their mistakes.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      10-16-2009 12:53 PM #2
      Not fun job. You need many t20 screwdrivers, t45, t30, 10mm 12mm, 17mm, Socket for steering wheel removal, trim pannel tools. You will probably break many wood trim pieces. Did you check the door drains for sunroof.
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

3. 10-16-2009 02:00 PM #3
      I have just had a water leak into the passenger side footwell of my 2004 right hand drive Phaeton. Like yourself I looked at all the postings on this forum to assist me on locating the exact location/cause of the leak.
      After clearing the two drains (beneath the heater well) of leaves and other debris, I was convinced i had found the cause of the leak - this proved not to be the case. Again I hoovered out the air intake plenum and removed all debris only to find the water was still getting in.
      Upon further investigation and after many downpours of rain I finally managed to locate the source of my water leak - one of two harnesses that pass through the engine/passenger area bulkhead (passenger side) was not properly seated - a bit of a wiggle, a push and for good measure a liberal smear of silicone sorted this for me. I am unable to post pics right now, but these harnesses are positioned to the right of the brake master - I don't know whether it will be exactly the same on your vehicle as mine is R/H/D.

I thought it might be worth checking your car for this same fault as it could save you a lot of work taking out the dash. I hope you find this helps. Goodluck!!

4. 10-16-2009 02:51 PM #4
      This might be my problem!

I wish I had more info about the location and description of these harnesses. They were loose, so you sealed it with some silicone?

Since you can't get any pictures of the location, I'm hoping our cars are similar enough that I can at least reach to wherever these are.

please give more description if you can of the harnesses.

5. 10-17-2009 11:10 AM #5
      OK , I took the pictures of the cables that pass through the bulkhead as promised ..... bad news ..... I cannot find the cable to connect the camera to my computer. ( Married with children - put something down and hey presto - it disappears!! ) So, I am unable to upload and post these pictures as promised.
      I took a good look at the cables that I am referring too - they are the heavy battery cables that run to the slave point under the bonnet. ( Follow these cables to the point where they pass through the bulkhead, as that was where my water leak was. )
      I hope this helps - if my camera cable is ever found, I will post pictures.

6. 10-17-2009 11:15 AM #6
      The battery cable tip really helps.

I will check it out. What is the slave?

Thanks so much!

7. 10-17-2009 12:04 PM #7
      By the slave point I am referring to the booster cable connection points under the bonnet - again, follow the battery cables to the point where they pass through the bulkhead and check there. Goodluck.

10-17-2009 04:00 PM #8
      The fuse box under the hood that those cables go to MUST have the lid on securely. If not water will run right down through the harness and onto the floor. Look at the inside of the lid and you will see that there is a seal on it.
      -Josh
      06 Phaeton 4-seater 6.0 W12 | 04 VW R32 | 03 Gti 24v VR6 | 00 M Roadster | 12 Kia Soul 1.6 stick
      01 ZRX1200

9. 10-31-2009 03:07 PM #9
      Good afternoon,
      Experiencing the same type of situation. If you've solved the problem, some photographs would be a big help to the post.
      Many thanks.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-01-2009 12:38 AM #10
      Greg:

Have you reviewed the information presented on this post: Water in Front Footwell (Cleaning Air Intake Plenum and Sunroof Drains)?

Our group experience has been that there are only three sources of water leakage into the front footwells:

1) Debris blocking the air plenum drains - this causes water to accumulate in the air plenum, then seep into the front footwell (typically the passenger footwell) via various electrical fittings, etc. in the firewall.

2) A blocked or disconnected sunroof drain.

3) A loose cover on the electrical junction box that is located in the aft corner of the air plenum, on the passenger side of the car.

The problems above are listed in order of probability.

You should not need to take the dash out to solve any of these problems. Trust me, you want to avoid removing the dash assembly - it is a nasty job and you run a high risk of introducing all sorts of other problems if you take it out.

Below is a picture of the electrical junction box referred to in point 3 above. Check inside it for evidence of moisture - if you find any, have a very close look at how effectively the cover is attached to the box.

Michael

Last edited by PanEuropean; 10-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-01-2009 12:44 AM #11
      Just for the record, and to prevent any confusion - the above photo shows a Phaeton with a W12 engine. The black plastic box inboard of the electrical box contains the transmission controller for the 5 speed transmission.

The transmission controller for V8 powered Phaetons that use the 6 speed transmission is located within the transmission itself, so, you will not have that second box. Below is a photo that more clearly identifies the transmission controller box on the W12. This box should not be a source of water problems, because it has not connection to the inside of the car.

Michael

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      11-20-2009 03:12 PM #12
      Just a follow-up to this discussion about water leaking in through the electrical box that is located on the passenger side of the car, at the far aft corner under the hood (first of the two photos above):

VW has become aware that water can leak into the vehicle by way of this electrical box if the cover is not properly fastened. There are two very small clips that can be attached to the cover of the electrical box to secure it in place. The part number for the clips is 3D0 971 838 M.

The document below provides additional information. Note carefully the warning to NOT OPEN A CORRECTLY SEALED electrical box.

For Phaeton owners outside of North America, this topic is addressed in Campaign 97Q1 (TS 2019441/2).

Michael

Last edited by PanEuropean; 05-10-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Vehicles
      '04 V8 Phaeton, '09 Jetta TDI, '08 VW EOS, '84 Porsche 911 Targa, '14 Durango(yeah it's got a Hemi)!
      04-25-2011 07:49 PM #13
      Hi All,

I had the issue where a bit of water leaked into the passenger footwell while I was driving on the river that once was the Garden State Parkway yesterday.

Great info here, I found the drains all OK but the electrical box under the hood dislodged.

Michael, could you please repost the document?

Thanks!
      John
      Vag-Com available Philly to Washington, DC
      VAS 6262 DSG Oil Change Tool for DSG equipped VW Products available also.

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-19-2011 02:07 PM #14
      Documents and pictures have been re-hosted.

Michael
      Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael

Vehicles
      '04 V8 Phaeton, '09 Jetta TDI, '08 VW EOS, '84 Porsche 911 Targa, '14 Durango(yeah it's got a Hemi)!
      05-19-2011 10:49 PM #15
      Thanks for re-hosting the document Michael.
      Until I source the clips I've resorted to trusty ol' duct tape to keep things sealed up.
      John
      Vag-Com available Philly to Washington, DC
      VAS 6262 DSG Oil Change Tool for DSG equipped VW Products available also.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 phaeton 4.2
      06-06-2013 11:06 AM #16

Does anyone know how to remove rear bench seat? any help would be appreciated

Vehicles
      2005 Phaeton V10 swb 4-seat, Jeep Commander Hemi, Ssangyong Korando
      06-07-2013 05:43 AM #17
      Hi cyrax122,

I replied to the same question you posted in another more appropriate thread.

Chris

Vehicles
      2004 W12
      05-18-2014 09:34 PM #18
      Here's an extract from the Technical Bulletin attached above that shows the general idea of how the tabs holding the cover on the electrical box are 'locked' in place using small clips.

The clips themselves are dirt-cheap, about $2 each at the VW dealer.

Please don't send me technical questions via IM - instead, post your questions onto the end of the most appropriate thread in the FAQ, so that everyone can benefit from the answer, and everyone can assist in providing the answer. Thanks, Michael