Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1993 Eurovan manual trans shift linkage

1. 10-19-2009 01:43 AM #1
      Just thought I'd pass on some info and my take on rebuilding your shift linkage if you have a MT in an early Eurovan.

My advice on rebuilding? Don't. Well, sort of.

My shifter was incredibly floppy. As with my former Mk2 GTI I figured I'd buy the bushing kit (that Europarts-SD sells) and replace all the bushings. Turns out while on the Golf Mk2 these are all moderately easy to get to from above and from under the car, the case isn't the same w/the T4. Also, some of the T4's linkage parts are pressed together requiring such force that you need to effectively have some of the pieces out of the car first in order to snap them together and that isn't easy at all to do. So doing a global replacement of all bushings I wouldn't recommend. Also on mine, many of the bushings were actually fine (surprisingly so given the age of the car, it lived in NM and AZ for all its life so I figured they'd all be dried out and cracked).

So what was the problem? This.

That isn't my pic but it shows the trouble spot. This is looking into the engine bay from above on the driver's side. See the bar going across with a smallish white ball on one end and a slightly larger dark-colored ball on the other end? The dark colored one on mine was totally gone altogether (probably popped off or it dried and cracked and fell apart).

That ball is normally enclosed in a metal square that I'll call a "cage". That cage isn't shown in this pic (it's been removed in this pic). Anyway, that ball is normally enclosed in that cage which keeps the play on that transverse rod to a minimum. Without that ball, the shifter will wiggle left-to-right while in gear and feel like it's in neutral.

That large ball is part of Europarts' rebuild kit, but in reality that's all I needed, not the entire kit. Now I'm not saying that you might not need the kit, but what you want to do really is scope out your linkage and see specifically what parts are missing or broken. So for now, I threw the remaining bushings in a ziploc bag in the glove compartment for years from now when I really will need them and these parts will all be NLA by then

Overall the T4 linkage I think is tougher and more robust than the Mk2 Golf linkage, but the parts are tougher to deal with. The Golf had fittings that were made to unsnap. Many of the T4's parts are ball-in-socket designs that are pressed in by brute force. That's all well and good but you are limited in getting in there and working with those parts. The one other bushing I did replace I had to press the ball back in the socket by whacking it with a mallet. Can't do that with many of the pieces while they're in the car.

Modified by gti_matt at 10:45 PM 10-18-2009

2. Member
      10-19-2009 06:38 PM #2
      Just make sure you keep the linkage well lubed with silver grease or some such and that will keep it all good for ages. Mine went stiff over time with use and I never really noticed. My mechanic drove it after doing the front brakes and twigged immeadiately. He waarned me that he'd re-greased the linkage but I still nearly shoved the gearstick through the dash when I changed gear that first time!!

3. 10-19-2009 09:25 PM #3
      The scary part of that picture is not the white ball on the left that should not bee seen because it should be inside an enclosed bushing. It is the other brownish one to the right of that hose clamp in the picture. This ball should be surrounded by the swiwel head that is bolted to the gear shift lever that goes into the transaxle transmission case. They are both ball and socket type assemblies and yours look like they need a lot of overhauling.

The only way to do get the linkage out is to remove the three socket head bolts that secure the bracket to the transaxle housing. This is the bracket the white ball along with the gate rod in your picture. The other ball should have the swivel head that looks like you said, a cage around the ball on the other side of the rod. All those pieces come out together witht the rest of the linkage and then you rework the bushing on a bench. The bushings can almost be installed by hand but putting the balls inside the bushings will require a vise or a shop press.

4. 10-19-2009 11:43 PM #4
      The above pic I just found via google (not my pic and not my van) and it could have been in a state of partial disassembly.

You are right about needing vise grips or a press, which is pretty much my point. Many of these pieces can only be dealt with effectively while the parts are out of the vehicle which makes the task of blindly replacing all the bushings and balls, whether they need it or not, quite a big P.I.T.A. really and it's better IMHO to just locate any specific problem parts and only target those parts for replacement.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 T4 2.5TDI manual Trakka camper, '06 Golf TDI manual, '01 Polo 16V manual, '09 Tiguan TDI manual.
      10-20-2009 07:31 AM #5
      Both balls seem to be a problem when shifting gets sloppy according to the Brickyard & T4 forums in the UK. VW says to remove the linkage when fitting these but some people seem to manage with levers, clamps. & bashing with a hammer.
      Mine doesn't have any slop but is stiff in the 1st to 2nd gate, the rest are fine. Balls are greased so I think my problem could be in the lever assy.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      1993 Volksvagen Eurovan GL Rauchblau
      08-15-2012 12:01 AM #6
      This thing is a pain in the butt... Once in Alabama they had completely torn up this country road that I would drive without any warning and I hit a pothole in 5th gear. That whole thing got knocked apart and I was stuck in 5th... good times...lol

7. 09-03-2013 11:49 PM #7
      Also for the record - had to replace one of my bushings tonight. Removed the rear shifter linkage rod (under the shifter) and that was easy, but still couldnt press in the bushing. Finally dawned on me to heat up the bushing using my old heat gun so it was playable and was able to stuff the bushing through the rod end using a large screwdriver. Heat up the other side then lubed it up and it popped onto the swing lever ball easily. Should have been a 20 minute job and took me 2 hours. :-)

8. 09-04-2013 02:59 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by conradk View Post
      Should have been a 20 minute job and took me 2 hours. :-)
      Nearly everything on a T4 is like thisexcept maybe for wiper blades.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI (daily), 2013 Golf 2.5 (for the GF), 1993 EV (for everything else)
      09-04-2013 03:25 PM #9
      My favorite is the oil change.... I love the design that literally REQUIRES you to spill oil from the oil filter all down the back of your block, the oil pain, and transmission. There is that plastic piece in there that the oil is supposed to hit but it is often broken and missing and even when it's in place it doesn't catch all the oil. This is definitely one of those what were you thinking things. They should have put it on the FRONT of the engine, due to the engine's tilt.

10. Member
      09-10-2013 02:25 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Nearly everything on a T4 is like thisexcept maybe for wiper blades.
      Brake light switch can be done in a couple of minutes. So can the front door handles.

My shift linkage bushes only took four hours!!

11. 09-10-2013 02:33 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
      Brake light switch can be done in a couple of minutes. So can the front door handles.

My shift linkage bushes only took four hours!!
      I just did my ignition switch. I've heard it's so hard (that little screw that holds it in) but actually was probably a 6 out of 10 on the "f*ck this" scale.