Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '01 Jetta Trunk Release Piece Broken!

1. 10-26-2009 04:34 PM #1
      When I try to open the trunk using the key fob, I do hear the trunk release motor actuating but does not release the trunk.

Opened up the 10+ screws holding up the trunk lid matting and noticed that a black piece of plastic was broken off the release mechanism. This is the piece which holds the two linkage rods and gets actuated when the motor pushes a black cylindrical plastic piece.

Unable to figure out how to insert the picture into this post.

Any help in locating this part or part number is highly appreciated.

Rgds

SR

2. 10-31-2009 02:14 PM #2

3. 10-31-2009 06:11 PM #3
      Is this the broken part?

If so that fix will work for you. I wonder if the golf has the same part... any golf owners know>

4. 11-02-2009 10:21 AM #4
      sudheendrar? Did you look at the video...

Vehicles
      01 VR6(SOLD), 07 MK5(SOLD), 03 MCS(SOLD), 98 E36(SOLD)
      11-02-2009 10:26 AM #5
      where do u get that part he put in there for the video?
      Need a car shipped across the State? Country? PM me for details...

P&K Transport LLC

6. 11-02-2009 01:33 PM #6
      I am making them contact me if your interested I am gong to make a limited amount to see if people want a permanent fix.

I was going to go to buy the dealer replacement part until I saw how thin this plastic was I then realized I would just be replacing it again down the road. So I over-engineered something that will never break!

Vehicles
      11-03-2009 01:08 AM #7
      Well I want one.

BTW Is it possible to open the trunk without the key(only have the valet key right now) and the latch broke like the OP described. Can I remove the panel without the trunk being open? There is no release inside my trunk

P&K Transport LLC

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta VR6 GLX
      11-03-2009 01:09 AM #8
      make your own piece, this junk will never break:

Quote, originally posted by pyro2001vr6 »
      Well I want one.

BTW Is it possible to open the trunk without the key

you'd have to climb in your trunk and remove the screws, then you can open the trunk by hand.

Modified by Skinner at 1:13 AM 11-3-2009

SixDigitClub
      (FiSHBOWLSTAtUS) ><(((*>
      Suede is Played
      ♥ Mila

9. 11-03-2009 10:20 AM #9
      You can push the latch over with your finger no screws need to be removed. It is a brass colored yellowish latch you push it and the trunk clicks open. What I came up with is a direct bolt on and you dont have to waste any time on anything that may or maynot work.

Modified by target4fun at 7:23 AM 11-3-2009

10. 11-04-2009 09:17 PM #10
      Did you get it open>?

11. 11-04-2009 10:17 PM #11
      dam i miss my 50 something dollars i paid for that part now.

12. 11-05-2009 10:28 AM #12
      No prob when it breaks again we have a final solution

Vehicles
      11-05-2009 04:59 PM #13
      My car had no way to open it from the trunk. I lost my key so my valet ket wont work. I took off the panel from inside the trunk and got it open and currently have no panel inside so I can open it right now. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet

P&K Transport LLC

14. 11-06-2009 11:11 AM #14
      My trunk just started doing this as well and I verified that that piece is broken. Where can I get that piece from the video?

15. 11-10-2009 05:45 PM #15
      I am making them. Just shoot me a PM with your email and once they are made I will have one sent out to you. I have about 3-4 people who want one already and will only have 5-6 on the first run.

Vehicles
      05 GLI 81 cabriolet
      11-10-2009 06:08 PM #16
      JOIN THE CLUB
      R.I.P. Dad 06/12/10

Quote Originally Posted by big CADDY
      an ABA just doesn't have the sweet sound like a carb'd 16v.

17. 11-11-2009 07:29 PM #17
      I am making them. Just shoot me a PM with your email and once they are made I will have one sent out to you. I have about 3-4 people who want one already and will only have 5-6 on the first run.

18. 11-13-2009 06:20 PM #18
      Any one who is interested in one please shoot me an email I have a few only at the moment.

JettaTrunk.Com

Last edited by target4fun; 06-13-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: update point of purchase

19. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Jetta GLX VR6
      12-13-2010 05:29 PM #19
      *sigh* don't know why VW make easily broken parts like that. I've seen too many people with that problem.

I have a VW Jetta GLX VR6 -- mine has a handle (the dealership calls it the hijack escape handle) -- funny that I can't seems to use that handle to open the trunk. On a hot day, there's no way for me to open it. On a colder day, I can use my key to do manual open (you have to twist hard; my wife doesn't know how to do that).

I too fear what people said about the part being broken ... AGAIN -- but end up buying the part from dealership. Mine (according to the dealer) cost $39 + tax -- it's a plate with trigger + actuator motor (which is pretty good) considering that models without the "escape handle" cost $59? Not sure what VW is thinking.

NOTE: this assumes that you have a "escape handle" in your trunk and you're able to get it open
      1. Take the screw off of the black protective thing. Note that you cannot take the thing off like the guy in the video -- he doesn't have a "escape handle". You just have to work with it by carefully (painfully) pulling it away enough so that you can get a tool in there.

2. You got 2 choices: buy the part from the guy in the video (I checked mine, his part should fit nicely) or get the part from dealer. If you go the part from the guy in the video, follow his directions. If you go the part from dealer, read on.

3. You need a ranch (socket style). This is the part that frustrated me. VW is ... European, what does Europe use? A different metric system than the US. The screw is 10 mm (my inches set will not work at all. I end up buying a 10 mm socket from Lowe's for $3.50) Remove all 3 screws

4. power to the actuator motor has tabs (if you look carefully) they should come off easily. the release wire attached to the metal plate -- I used pliers to wiggle it out. (yes, it's also a royal pain to wiggle that thing back in)

5. the rods -- notice where they attach (not on the plate) the other end, they work like a clip, open the clip and they come out

6. Once it's out, you should be able to take the entire plate out. The rods (metal sticks) should now be removable - you turn it toward the opening and they'll come out. (remember to do them one at a time so that you don't mix up which goes where)

7. Use the same method to put it back on the new one.

8. Now the new plate is ready to go back in: plug the power back on to the actuator motor.

9. try it out (try the trunk release on your key, you should see it working -- see it move that is)

10. put the 3 screws (the 10 mm lug nut) back on to secure the plate

11. NOW reconnect the rods -- they're not easy with the little space you have -- but I fit it in and try to close the tab - it will eventually snap in.

12. Once you get both of them in, use pliers (unless you have strong fingers) and try to wiggle the release cable back onto the plate. It's a pain but doable.

13. Now try the remote again. You should see it work.

14. Close the black cover, put all the screws on there --- now for the final test! Close the trunk and use your remote!

Given that I was a advanced beginner, with all the right tools (eg. get the 10 mm socket before you start, have the parts in your hands, examine it before you start, have a phillip screw driver, pliers ), the whole process took me 20 mins.

20. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 VW Golf TDI
      03-14-2012 11:43 AM #20
      The part number is 1J5827425E