Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My MKII GTI 20V 1.8T AWP Swap

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      10-31-2009 01:20 PM #1
      I started this thread to learn about how to do this swap and also document it so that others can learn from what I did and and hopefully avoid any mistakes I made. There are a lot of ways to do this swap, this is just how I thought it would work best based on my experience and tools that I had on hand. Let me say that I am not a mechanic. I call myself a parts changer and before doing this, I had never done any serious engine work. I researched how to do this by reading every thread I could find first and then I got a Bentley manual for each car. I would say that if I could do this by myself in my backyard with limited tools, that most anybody could if they researched , learned, and took their time doing it. Although the car is not finished, The engine swap has been completed and the car is on the road. These are some threads that I used to get this done and were a big help to me. I'd like to give a big thanks to the authors and all those that contributed:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?808137

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3881162

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3297891

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3442138

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...p-into-mk3-GTI

http://myweb.whitman.syr.edu/srotblat/swap/

1990 Volkswagen GTI

Engine:
      20th AE GTI AWP 1.8T
      Borg Warner KO4-001 Turbo
      2.5in TT Turbo Back Exhaust
      APR Performance Chip
      APR R-1 Diverter Valve
      New South Performance Intake Manifold Power Gasket
      Eurojet Turbo Inlet Pipe
      Eurojet Front Mount Intercooler Street Core
      Eurojet Upper Charge Pipe
      Gruvenparts Lightweight Crank Pulley
      Gruvenparts Lightweight Power Steering Pulley
      Gruvenparts Lightweight Tensioner Pulley
      Gruvenparts Lightweight Alternator Pulley

Transmission:
      5 Speed O2J Transmission
      Peloquin Limited slip Differential
      TDI 5th Gear
      ECS Stage 1 Clutch
      ECS 14lb Steel Flywheel
      Verdict Motorsport Aluminum Bracket Bushings
      OEM Audi TT Shift Linkage

Suspension:
      Rokkor Coilovers
      Neuspeed 25mm Front Sway Bar
      Neuspeed 28mm Rear Sway Bar
      Neuspeed 4 Point Rear Strut Bar
      Eurosport Front Lower Stress bar
      RSD Polished Front Strut Bar
      Powerflex Front Subframe Mount Bushings
      Powerflex Front Wishbone Front Bushings
      Powerflex Front Wishbone Rear Bushings
      Powerflex Power Steering Rack Bushings
      Powerflex Rear Beam Bushings
      Prothane Rear Engine Mount Poly Inserts
      VF MK3 Front Motor Mount
      VF MK3 Transmission Mount

Wheels:
      Schmidt One Piece Modernlines
      Front= 16X9 et25 Falken Ziex ZE-512 215/40ZR-16 XL 86W
      Rear= 16X9 et30 17mm spacer Falken Ziex ZE-512 215/40ZR-16 XL 86W

Brakes:
      Front:
      Corrado Lucas 54 Calipers
      11" OEM axially vented Rotors
      Stainless Steel Lines
      EBC Red Stuff Pads
      Rear:
      MK2 Rear Caliper Conversion
      Zimmerman Drilled Rotors
      Stainless Steel Lines
      EBC Red Stuff Pads

Interior:
      20th AE GTI Dash, Cluster, and Center Console
      20th AE GTI Steering Wheel
      20th AE GTI Shift Knob, Boot, and Parking Brake Cover
      20th AE GTI Radio Cage w/ OEM Double Din Radio, Aluminum Trim, and Number Plate
      New South Performance Indigo Boost Gauge w/ Offset Column Pod
      New South Performance Indigo Oil Pressure and Temperature Gauge w/ Dual A-Pillar Pod

Exterior:
      Front and Rear Euro Small Bumpers
      Dual Round Badgeless Grill
      Clear Lights
      Hella 550 Yellow Fog Lights

The Original Thread

I got a great deal on an 2003 20th Anniversary Edition GTI with an AWP 1.8T engine and an 02M 6 speed transmission except that it wasn't in the best of shape:

What is good is the engine, ecu, wiring harnesses,cluster, column, pedals, dash and keys. Everything I need to do a complete swap. I have an 87 16V Scirocco and I planned on putting the dash, cluster, even the stereo and AC into the interior of the Scirocco, and then drop the 1.8T 20V engine in the bay. It already has an APR flash on it too.

I then got a 90 GTI the for $500 to be a daily driver back-up while I swap the 20V into my Scirocco.

1990 MKII GTI with an ABA swap in it.

The good stuff:

Corrado Brakes
      Stainless Steel Brake Lines
      FK Struts
      H&R Springs
      Techtonics catback
      Nice interior

The bad:

Doesn't run due to a bad head
      It has a MKIII 2.0 ABA swap so I have no clue what was done to it, or what needs to be done to make it run
      Needs a New Grill and Front Bumper
      No Rear Bumper
      Minor body damage
      Horrible black paint job that was sprayed over the red without any prep
      I need two wheels to fit over the Corrado calipers
      Bad head on the ABA

After getting this car it just makes more sense to leave the Scirocco alone since it is running really great. Since the GTI isn't running and needs engine work, I'm just going to do the 20V swap with it. Working a couple of hours each day after work I was able to get the engine out:

Now it is time to start cleaning it up in there, shaving the bay, and getting it prepped for paint. Thankfully since I am in the desert, there really isn't any rust on it. The big dilemma I have now is that I really love the MKII GTI interior and I'm just not sure if I want to use the MKIV dash in it. If I dont use it, it will make the wiring more complicated, but I still plan on completely swapping the harness and using the cluster. I still need to sell my 02M to help finance this and get an 02J. Other than the transmission, I have most of what i need. I have never done anything like this, I don't know how to weld, and I have never torn down an engine before, but I have my Bentleys and the Vortex so I am always open to suggestions and advice. One thing I know that will really be a big help is I have a MKIV GLI sitting in the garage that I can always walk over and take a look at.

Random pic:

Finally got the hardware to get the engine on the stand:

I cleaned it a little and got some things pulled from it so that I can start detailing it. I am going to get the the cover, fue rail, aluminum lines, and intake polished. I also got a powergasket for it. The Y pipe was split so I ordered a Eurojet PCV Hose Kit. Depending on my budget, I may do some other enhancements. I also found a G60 Corrado front cross member to withstand the added power:

Next I got the dash out and did some comparing:

It looks like the height and length are close to the same, but the width on the MKIV dash is a lot wider. I am still not sure about doing the dash swap yet. I will need to use the MKIV cluster and I would need to modify the MK2 dash for it to fit so either way I will have to modify a dash. When i removed the dash, I pulled the wipers to make it easier to get to the nuts underneath the rain tray. Since I am going to be using the newer wiring harness, I checked to see if I could use the MKIV wipers in the MK2:

The MKIV wipers are too narrow to fit in the MK2, but the motors were a direct swap. This picture shows the newer motor installed. Using this motor will give me all of the functions of the MKIV wipers on the MK2.

Modified by Batrugger at 10:23 AM 10-31-2009

Last edited by Batrugger; 12-16-2011 at 05:57 PM.
      "It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

2. 10-31-2009 01:38 PM #2
      good luck on the swap, I have always wanted to do this so I will be watching.

Vehicles
      1990 TD Jetta, 2010 2.5l Golf
      10-31-2009 02:06 PM #3
      Nice work on the engine find! Subscribed

Vehicles
      '08 Rabbit
      10-31-2009 02:24 PM #4
      The hybrid/swap forum will also prove to be useful for you as well.
      Good luck with this.
      Disclaimer: I might be a jerk, it's not personal. | Subscriber to: Windshield Sticker of the Month Club: The gift that keeps on givin'.

Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16V
      10-31-2009 02:28 PM #5

Vehicles
      1991 Special mk2
      11-01-2009 01:24 AM #6
      for email notification

Vehicles
      Evo IX MR: 1991 VW GTi 1.8T 20V: Mk6 GLI
      11-01-2009 04:21 AM #7
      awesome, good to see another local guy tacking this
      For Sale: SEM driver box.

8. 11-01-2009 04:32 PM #8
      Nice

Technically you didn't have to swap the wiper motors, the mk4 harness plugs into the mk2 wiper motor. But if the mk4 fits, might as well upgrade.

European Performance Products

PVW 5/11 Held It Down

9. 11-01-2009 04:38 PM #9
      do u think u can take detailed pics of your dash swap? im starting mine in a couple weeks when i store my car, im just waiting on a cluster from someone on the tex

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-01-2009 09:45 PM #10
      Thanks everybody for the comments and encouragement. This weekend I got some time to work on the car. I got all of the wiring out and stripped the front out of the car:

I also pulled the rack off and dropped in my MKIV steering to see if it would work:

It looks like the dimensions are the same, but the bolts to mount it to the sub frame don't match up. I would need to drill holes to make it work. I would still like to use it because i believe it would the swap go easier by being able to easily bolt on the MKIV column and power steering lines. I also got the bay cleaned a little more and I willl next be dropping the subframe to clean and refurbish:

I can't get that master cylinder off because the 11mm bolts are frozen and only one has come loose. I am thinking about removing all of the lines and then using the lines, master cylinder and ABS pump from the MKIV. I also bought a grinder and some stripping wheels so I am going to start stripping the paint from the bay and getting it all cleaned up before I get the motor in. I'm going to get some G60 pedals this week, but I still need to find an 02J trans. Hopefully I'll sell my six speed soon. My polished parts still aren't done for the engine so I did some detailing and polishing of my own:

Quote, originally posted by mesk »
      do u think u can take detailed pics of your dash swap? im starting mine in a couple weeks when i store my car, im just waiting on a cluster from someone on the tex

Have you seen a DIY for this or any info at all to help out. I have no clue what to do. I have seen it done and I know it is going to take some cutting and fabbing, but I have no idea. I figured i would just go for it. Thee is a local guy who did a R32 swap into a MK2 with the dash. I am waiting to talk to him before I get started on it.

Modified by Batrugger at 6:51 PM 11-1-2009

"It is better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't." Butthole surfers

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Vehicles
      More than one!
      11-02-2009 01:18 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Batrugger »

Have you seen a DIY for this or any info at all to help out. I have no clue what to do. I have seen it done and I know it is going to take some cutting and fabbing, but I have no idea. I figured i would just go for it. Thee is a local guy who did a R32 swap into a MK2 with the dash. I am waiting to talk to him before I get started on it.

If you look at my project (link in sig), there is alot of info on how to put a 1.8T in a mk2 and dash fabrication aswell.

Want to see fabrication? Look at my project car:
      Golf mkII 1.8T syncro http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...oed-Mk2-syncro

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      11-02-2009 02:42 PM #12
      i would love to do this swap to my gti.
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

Fishkill/Mahopac/Middletown/Stony Brook, NY
      Vehicles
      1986 GLI
      11-02-2009 03:01 PM #13
      Looking good so far! I will be watching this one
      '86 GLI

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodson View Post
      Latex gloves are gay, your grille is gay, BBS' are gay, VR lips are gay, you have holes in the knees of your jeans.

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-03-2009 10:28 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by hiawata »

If you look at my project (link in sig), there is alot of info on how to put a 1.8T in a mk2 and dash fabrication aswell.

Thanks I will be sure to check it out. I got my polished parts finally and set them on the engine to see how it is going to look. i still need to polish the FPR and bolts that hold it all on. I also have a couple more metal lines that aren't on there yet that are polished:

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-11-2009 08:17 PM #15
      I got to do a little work today. I got this:

And started in on the engine bay:

I want to get it all stripped down to the metal so I can fill a lot of the holes, smooth it out, and do a semi-shave on it. I have decided to paint the bay a light glossy grey and then in the future, the outside of the car will be done in German Feild Grey like this:

I also have the engine put back together:

I still need to get a hold of a 02J trans before I can start making the big progress.

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      11-11-2009 08:33 PM #16
      watching this thread. i hope on doing the same swap come this summer
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-14-2009 05:19 PM #17
      Might have a possibility of getting a transmission soon so that will help move things along. Not getting any work done this weekend though because I have been getting the Rocco ready for Bonelli on Sunday. Look for this and say hi if your there:

Modified by Batrugger at 12:35 PM 11-17-2009

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-17-2009 12:17 PM #18
      Last night I was able to get the subframe off to clean, strip, paint, and rebuild with all new bushings. I got some more paint stripped and I got a friend who is going to help with some welding to smooth the bay as soon as I get it stripped. Once I get the bay stripped, smoothed, and primed, I can start putting in the wiring to see how it is all going to run. The engine is all together now and I found someone to trade transmissions with so things should start happening here soon. I also scored a set of G60 pedals to do the hydro clutch conversion. So far the weather has been kind to me since i am doing this outside, but it has started getting cold up here in the desert. I just wish it wasn't dark at 5 PM.

Modified by Batrugger at 9:19 AM 11-17-2009

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

19. 11-17-2009 01:26 PM #19
      So are you reusing the Mk2 subframe or the MK4 one?

Vehicles
      2002 gti getting built
      11-17-2009 01:58 PM #20
      cant wait to see it done
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeremi...0194396?ref=ts http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ns-of-pictures) twitter and Instagram is (@jeremiahbmx) follow me if you like cars and bmx

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-17-2009 03:33 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by redsvt04 »
      So are you reusing the Mk2 subframe or the MK4 one?

The MK2, I wouldn't think the MKIV would work

Quote, originally posted by mk2bmxlover »
      cant wait to see it done

Me too

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

22. 11-17-2009 03:54 PM #22

The MK2, I wouldn't think the MKIV would work

Thats what I thought 2, I also heard of some people using MK3 subframes too

I've been trying to put together my swap list, there's just a lot of information to process.

At least now I know I can use my Mk2 subframe

Sorry for the OT threadjack

Vehicles
      11-17-2009 03:55 PM #23
      mark 3 works, mark 4 wll not

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      11-17-2009 04:23 PM #24
      Wow haha, I almost bought that car after a test drive for 1900 dollars about a year ago.

Does it still have the motorcycle battery?

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-17-2009 06:59 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by redsvt04 »

Thats what I thought 2, I also heard of some people using MK3 subframes too

I've been trying to put together my swap list, there's just a lot of information to process.

At least now I know I can use my Mk2 subframe

Sorry for the OT threadjack

No worries. This is all about exchanging ideas. I have never done anything like this before so I am totally open to suggestions. That is why I'm posting. Hopefully if I am screwing up, somebody will tell me

Quote, originally posted by themagellan »
      Wow haha, I almost bought that car after a test drive for 1900 dollars about a year ago.

Does it still have the motorcycle battery?

Yes it did have the battery . I was talking to Pineapple at Bonelli this weekend and asked if he wanted to buy the ABA that came out of it, turns out he used to own this car.

Modified by Batrugger at 4:00 PM 11-17-2009

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Vehicles
      11-17-2009 07:01 PM #26
      mk3 vr6 has a nicer rear mount, which is why some switch(not only reason). VF makes a mount for it and i think if you have one available then go for it

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-23-2009 06:08 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by halchka99 »
      mk3 vr6 has a nicer rear mount, which is why some switch(not only reason). VF makes a mount for it and i think if you have one available then go for it

Thanks for that. I am getting a front cross member and mounts from a VR6 Passat. I will look into the subframe. Would the sway bar, brakes, and hubs all work with that?

I have been doing a lot of grinding and stripping on the engine bay to get it ready to be smoothed and painted so nothing much there, but I did solve the problem of getting the MKIV AC lines to work with the MK2:

I pulled the HVAC system from the MKIV and put in the MK2 and it was too easy. All it took was to drill two new holes where the AC lines go in the car and everything fit perfectly. It will also simplify using the MKIV harness.

I was thinking today about using the MKIV engine mounts with the front engine mount from the MK2 and not having a mount on the back to free up room for the turbo. I figured I could cut out this bracket from the MKIV:

and weld it onto the passenger side frame rail of the MK2. The driver's side would just need some holes for the bolts put into the frame rail for the mount. I t should be stable since the MKIV uses the two mounts plus a rear and nothing on the front. What do you guys think?

I still need to find a fabricator to modify the two steering racks, so if anyone in SoCal knows someone or could do it please let me know.

Modified by Batrugger at 3:09 PM 11-23-2009

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Vehicles
      11-23-2009 06:30 PM #28
      the only real benefit would be as you said more room in the rear. you could also run some VF mk4 mounts which are better then most mk2 mounts.

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-23-2009 08:24 PM #29
      Yeah I was thinking some polished VF's would be hot and not having to rotate the turbo or do a custom downpipe would be easier.

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Vehicles
      11-23-2009 08:25 PM #30
      mind u i use the kinetics top mouth and dont have downpipe issues with the rear mount

31. 11-23-2009 09:23 PM #31
      and not having to rotate the turbo or do a custom downpipe would be easier.

huh?

PVW 5/11 Held It Down

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-23-2009 09:23 PM #32
      You've got a whole different thing going on though. I love your build, I just wish I could weld.

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

33. 11-23-2009 09:27 PM #33
      I have a stock motor, stock ko3 turbo, mk4 2.5" Techtonics DP. Mk2 mounts.

PVW 5/11 Held It Down

Vehicles
      2013 TDI JSW, 1990 16v Jetta GLI, 1979 Super Beetle (RIP)
      11-23-2009 10:00 PM #34
      Watching looks like a great project

Vehicles
      3 VWs and a MINI
      11-24-2009 12:17 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by GTi2OV »
      I have a stock motor, stock ko3 turbo, mk4 2.5" Techtonics DP. Mk2 mounts.

I had read in other build threads that the rear mount interfered with the downpipe. If it all worked well for you then that is good to know. Did you use the TT downpipe for a MK2 swap, or just one for a MKIV?

My MK2 1.8T Swap Thread

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast