Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: brake pedal hard to push

Vehicles
      1993 Passat
      11-05-2009 02:43 AM #1
      ok, so i was on my way home tonight and i noticed that my brake pedal was hard to push. that being said....my brakes felt like they were failing (push brake pedal and barely slow down). kinda freaked me out a bit. i was able to get the car home by using the e-brake along with the brake pedal. my question is what could cause this? i know nothing of the ABS system and search didn't help much.

Vehicles
      1943 Flugkreisel, 1945 VRIL-7
      11-05-2009 12:13 PM #2
      I have a new ABS pressure switch $120 shipped.
      The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

Vehicles
      1993 Passat
      11-05-2009 01:21 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Eric D »
      I have a new ABS pressure switch $120 shipped.

what does that do?

Vehicles
      1943 Flugkreisel, 1945 VRIL-7
      11-05-2009 03:12 PM #4
      Pressure switch will allows the pump to prime, and also will trip the ABS light.

You need to get a Bentley manual if you wish to service your ABS system.
      Keep in mind that many parts of your ABS system are very costly upwards of $1000 per part.

This pressure switch retails for $480 from VW.

I don't like to discuss servicing the ABS system with people unfamiliar with the system, because the chance of harm to oneself is very high.

Your ABS system can produce very high pressures up to 210 bar/ 3045 psi.

I suspect you don't have a Bentley manual.

Search on-line for ATE MkII ABS information, you'll get info related to other car makes, but the basic system is similar. If anything, it will help you understand how the system works.

Special service equipment is required to service the ABS system, the Bentley tells you what tools and equipment are needed (this system is obsolete).

The original Dub and Dubber.
      Manche VWs sind einfach schneller als andere.

Vehicles
      1993 Passat
      11-05-2009 03:49 PM #5
      i have a bentley manual. i have read through the abs section. the problem i am having is trying to diagnose my specific issue.

Vehicles
      95 jetta (used to own), 92 BMW 735i
      11-05-2009 04:44 PM #6
      my guess is bad brake booster

Vehicles
      1993 Passat
      11-05-2009 04:44 PM #7
      another question: what do i need to switch to non ABS?

Vehicles
      Past: '94 Passat VR, Present:'07 GTI
      11-05-2009 07:02 PM #8
      I'm directly quoting something I posted in the thread izzo started a few months ago about his ABS system because I don't feel like typing it again. If you want, just do an archived search for "ABS" in the PAOM forum and you'll see the thread:

I had the same thing happen to me about 3 years ago and the dealership was the only place that could fix it (so said my local mechanic and brake shop) Here's the exact list of parts with part numbers that the dealership gave me:
      Ok, so I have the service sheet in front of me and these are the exact stats on it:

"Concern 51 - Customer states that there is no power breaks and the ABS light is on. Cause - Diagnosed and found the ABS pump is not pumping and there are no breaks. The rear breaks are totally inop due to the proportioning valve. Correction - Replaced the ABS pump and proportioning valve."

Here are the parts with their corresponding numbers: ABS Unit #SPO 357 614 111, Regulator #SPO 357 612 151, Brake Fluid #VWN B 000 750 M2, Hose (38qty) #VWN 059 130 329, Distribut #SPO 803 611 755 and lastly Break Lines #SPO 191 611 994.

"Concern 52 - Replace Broken Vacuum Lines"

"Concern 53 - Bleed Brakes"

Hope that helps ya man and good luck with everything and DEFINITELY keep us updated

Originally Posted by peskyrabbit

When I have my first child I'm going to make sure I ask everyone what they think of the name, so he/she can be vortex approved.

Vehicles
      1993 Passat
      11-05-2009 07:31 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Passat94VR6 »
      "Concern 52 - Replace Broken Vacuum Lines"

where the hell are the vacuum lines? i looked and could not find any that lead to or from the abs unit.

also..... my abs light is not on

Vehicles
      11-05-2009 07:35 PM #10
      reading what you described, i would check other parts first before railing money into the ABS system. if the ABS light isn't on it may be non-abs brake components. look at the vacuum line going to the booster for instance. if that is good and the booster appears to be in good shape then lift the car and the brake lines and also check for brake operation at all 4 wheels. if you have brake operation at all 4 wheels and the lines look good then i would check the booster and master cylinder more carefully. if you don't have good brake operation at all 4 wheels then check the proportioning valve. if that is alright then check the master cylinder more carefully. if that is in good shape then keep following a sound diagnostic process until you find out what is wrong.

Vehicles
      11-05-2009 07:36 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by raverj »
      where the hell are the vacuum lines? i looked and could not find any that lead to or from the abs unit.

no no no, not to the ABS unit, to the vacuum booster. you know, that big round jawn between the master cylinder and the firewall

12. Senior Member Big Dac With Fries's Avatar
      Vehicles
      6000 SUX
      11-05-2009 07:54 PM #12
      Here's a link to izzo's thread. it spans 3 pages, and has some very good info there - including how I deleted ABS.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4221739

Want to roll your fenders or Lamin-X your lights in clear or yellow for THE ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST PRICE IN THE GTA? IM me!
      "I was thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie."

Vehicles
      1993 Passat
      11-05-2009 08:39 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by n8burnz »

no no no, not to the ABS unit, to the vacuum booster. you know, that big round jawn between the master cylinder and the firewall

dont have one of those

Vehicles
      1993 Passat
      11-05-2009 11:10 PM #14
      update: so i tried bleeding the brakes, no air was in the system. (thats good at least). after i reconnected the negative battery wire and started it up to test them my e-brake light and ABS light came on and would not go off. now i know i need to go have it checked. i will be doing this tomorrow. but at least for now the brakes are working like a non ABS unit. no more rock hard brake pedal.

15. Banned
      Vehicles
      84 coupe, 90 b3 td wagon, 81 coupe, BURNT TOAST
      11-08-2009 03:03 PM #15
      the abs unit is the power brakes for the idiot who keeps posting the brake booster.. it has no vaccume lines or any type... completly electric..

sounds as if the abs pump failed. as far as i know cannot be replaced.

brakes softer?? you gots air in them now/still...

on bleedign the rear brakes.. did it pump out fluid on its own like a garden hose when the pedal was touched? if not pump is NOT working.