Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta MKIV Engine Coolant Heater

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI,2003 Wolfsburg Jetta 1.8T (RIP..Got Tboned), 1987 Vanagon Westfalia
      11-07-2009 02:12 AM #1
      My First guide lacking but ask questions if you want to know more

Without getting into the argument of how a block heater or coolant heater benifits you greatly (including heat instantly) here are some pics of my install:

Zerostart 8000 Circulating coolant heater (CDN TIRE Product #30-3294-0)
      3 feet of 5/8 coolant house
      4 universial beinding springs for hose
      1 Pigtail 12inch cord
      20 mins of my time

1. cut mounting bracket to fit under AC line mount on the engine
      2. Mount Zerostart unit

3. remove old Oil cooler outlet hose (save your G12 coolant )
      4. bend and install new coolant lines directing outlet of oilcooler into inlet of heater and out let of heater back into the system.

5. add your coolant back to the system ( you will need a bit more for the new addtions + any you lost)
      6. route your cord out the front.

7. enjoy most of the snow being melted from your windsheild and not being cold

Modified by nicksvolks at 11:59 PM 11-6-2009

2. 11-08-2009 07:31 PM #2
      How does this unit work? With the thermostat shut, how does the coolant circulate?

3. 11-08-2009 07:55 PM #3
      A friend of mine has this and he says it works great!

The fan blows hot air as soon as he fires it up.

4. 11-08-2009 10:34 PM #4
      Okay, so if I understand this correctly, you basically have this heater inline with the oil cooler cooling loop. Which means it will warm up the coolant in both the oil cooler housing and the coolant pipe aka "crack pipe". I still don't understand why your front window would defrost. The heater core is a long way from the crack pipe.

Oh, and I should point out, after looking at the cooling system schematics for the 1.8T and the VR6 (what I have), it seems the return cooling for the 1.8T circulates through the block, whereas on the vr6 the return coolant goes back to the crack pipe which mean it would be ineffective on the vr6.

Modified by zeropointenergy at 10:37 PM 11-8-2009

5. 02-07-2010 08:57 PM #5
      First off I'm a newbie to the forum. Getting ready to install zerostart on my 04 Jetta w/ auto tranny, hoses are slightly different than manual. Bottom hose from oil cooler, got that, but it goes up to the a "T" on the top radiator hose. Is this still the hose I want the heater installed into? Basically, my oil cooler return line looks like it goes back to the engine via the top radiator hose instead of directly. Please advise?

6. 02-07-2010 09:26 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by gdlsheathen »
      First off I'm a newbie to the forum. Getting ready to install zerostart on my 04 Jetta w/ auto tranny, hoses are slightly different than manual. Bottom hose from oil cooler, got that, but it goes up to the a "T" on the top radiator hose. Is this still the hose I want the heater installed into? Basically, my oil cooler return line looks like it goes back to the engine via the top radiator hose instead of directly. Please advise?

Hopefully someone can help you out.

Not many people have done this mod.

7. 02-08-2010 10:56 AM #7
      Thx, got to looking at the hoses again and I'm not sure the bottom hose on the oil cooler IS the outlet , do you or anyone else here know for sure? I'm thinking the oil cooler may take cool coolant from the "T" on the top radiator hose then put into the block. If that is the case would it really matter which oil cooler hose I install the heater on as long as there is no check valve and the outlet of the heater can allow hot fluid to rise.

This would be a lot easier on my manual Beetle!!

8. 02-15-2010 01:04 PM #8
      Got my Zerostart coolant heater installed and it works great! 2004 Jetta TDI with auto transmission. Note that this is different hose routing than manual, but I was able to turn cut and splice a couple hoses and it looks factory and no interference from the heater to anything else. If anyone is interested I will post detailed instructions and pics.

9. 02-15-2010 01:12 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by gdlsheathen »
      I'm not sure the bottom hose on the oil cooler is the outlet

The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter...the system has no check valves.

Since the coolant heater is using convection to circulate the heated coolant what you really want is the lowest possible point you can get to on the cooling system... which, as luck would have it, is the bottom hose on the oil cooler!

Vince Waldon
      Edmonton Alberta Canada
      2001 silver TDI Jetta, .205s and Malone Stage 1.5
      2001 blue TDI Jetta, .216s, SB III, and Malone Stage 3. grrrr baby...very grrrrrrr ;-)

10. 02-15-2010 11:25 PM #10
      Well, the heater had a check valve for about 6 seconds after I opened it, then it mysteriously disappeared. But yeah as long as its at a low point in the system it should work good. Mine is actually mounted at the same level as the lowest part of the oil pan.

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      02-15-2010 11:45 PM #11
      here's my OEM heater i got at the dealer two years ago for my TDI.

not sure how the routing applies to the 1.8t/vr/2.0's, but i guess its shows what OEM design is.

as for preformance, does a great job imo. after about 4 hours 2" of snow is melting off the hood , and the block is as heated as its gonna get

the heater is the brown thing with the yellow plug attached to it.

and hard to see, but its connected to the upper hose on the oil cooler

Modified by Greg_J at 11:47 PM 2-15-2010

Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

Vehicles
      04 VW Jetta TDI GLS
      02-16-2010 12:10 AM #12
      Not sure if you can convert them, but this is the block heater I have installed in my TDI

http://www.frostheater.com/

It's great having heat as soon as you start your car.

Door County Cruise Saturday May 17th, 2014 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-May-17th-2014

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      02-17-2010 10:04 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by 3L3M3NT »
      Not sure if you can convert them, but this is the block heater I have installed in my TDI

http://www.frostheater.com/

It's great having heat as soon as you start your car.

its not a block heater

and yes, it would work on any car in theory, just needs different lines most likely.

Vehicles
      04 VW Jetta TDI GLS
      02-18-2010 01:28 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by Greg_J »

its not a block heater

and yes, it would work on any car in theory, just needs different lines most likely.

Technically no....... but it does heat the coolant that heats the engine block up

Either way you look at it, coolant heaters are far superior to the oil pan heater, I've heard about one to many fires that got caused from people using heaters on their oil pans.

Door County Cruise Saturday May 17th, 2014 http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-May-17th-2014

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      02-18-2010 01:49 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by 3L3M3NT »

Either way you look at it, coolant heaters are far superior to the oil pan heater, I've heard about one to many fires that got caused from people using heaters on their oil pans.

x2

much more efficient. plus instant heat when you turn the car on instead of trying to heat up the coolant also