Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Project CAR (Coupe Air Ride) is under way!!!

Vehicles
      1977 VW Rabbit
      12-07-2009 03:17 AM #51
      subscribed! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      12-07-2009 04:51 AM #52
      Quote, originally posted by veedubberkid86 »
      terrys on it. im not worried
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Yeah... just behind on some other stuffs. Got a large order together for my 'Jet guy. Hope to have working stock by the end of the week. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

3. Member
      12-07-2009 10:42 AM #53
      my faith never wavered

Vehicles
      Grabber Blue and German rust
      12-07-2009 11:54 AM #54
      Terry, you've outdone yourself once again. In addition, I'm glad to see that not one person has bashed this thread thus far (knock on wood). It's good to see the mk1 community open to things that stir up soo much **** in the general vw community. Now put that bish on the ground
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      Mk1people > Mkrestofpeople.
      Quote Originally Posted by unleashedd View Post
      wow this has escalatored quickly. dude now has vr6 up front, w8 out back, he's crying metal tears, and people are demanding consumption of feces... i dont know whats real anymore!

5. Member
      12-07-2009 08:36 PM #55
      i for one think bags are sweet. if this kit cost less than it would take me to build one + raise the strut towers myself then i would be all about. gotta love pan scrapers.

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      12-08-2009 04:02 AM #56
      Hoping to do a final mock-up (w/ pics) for the front tomorrow .... but DAAAAAAAAAMN its cold outside right now. We are just getting our arses handed to us for coldness. We'll see how this plays out.

7. 12-08-2009 11:51 AM #57
      Interested to see how this turns out. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Bags are on my wishlist.

8. 12-08-2009 12:00 PM #58
      definitely watching...
      epitome - Like McCormicks, we're seasoned
      "Car shows are more fun if you keep your doors and hood closed. It's about the people, not a dinky glass trophy." - dabble
      "i should not use mark as an example though, as he is a god amongst mortals on this tiny planet we call home.." - Us2bA4dr

Vehicles
      1977 VW Rabbit
      12-08-2009 10:30 PM #59
      Quote, originally posted by WCHLVR »
      .... but DAAAAAAAAAMN its cold outside right now. We are just getting our arses handed to us for coldness.

Same here! I am moving to Panama. Its warm there. All the time. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

10. Member
      12-08-2009 10:41 PM #60
      even california is cold right now

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      12-08-2009 11:06 PM #61
      Quote, originally posted by opusdestructo »
      even california is cold right now

Its the wind and the 1% humidity that's the killer.

Vehicles
      Too Many.
      12-09-2009 04:12 AM #62
      Quote, originally posted by 16v_HOR »
      T I'm glad to see that not one person has bashed this thread thus far (knock on wood). It's good to see the mk1 community open to things that stir up soo much **** in the general vw community.

PSH, its a total P.O.S... it's too low, lift it!!!
      Nah seriously, love the innovation. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] but I wouldn't call the tex a community, just a gathering place without any real beer.

1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

13. 12-12-2009 04:23 PM #63
      Terry got skills !

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      12-12-2009 06:57 PM #64
      lower!

gah i can't wait to get this kit.
      http://oldskoolvw.com
      www.D9Tribe.com
      www.mk1dubz.com
      Quote Originally Posted by Slow8vJetta View Post
      This build makes me want to put two fingers in my butt and puke on my dick.

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      12-12-2009 08:04 PM #65
      Thanks guys!
      Had great plans... much forward movement this week though.... Sorry! Too freaking cold!
      I know excuses excuses excuses! Right?
      Fear not... this kit will be built!

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      12-12-2009 09:18 PM #66
      excuses are like *******s....
      www.D9Tribe.com
      www.mk1dubz.com

Vehicles
      1977 VW Rabbit
      12-12-2009 09:51 PM #67
      Okay I have a few questions for you WCHLVR, and anyone else that has lived with air. I have been leaning towards air myself but am concerned about reliability and handling.
      1) When the car is low, it has less air in the bags. I am assuming as you raise the car up the ride gets firmer? Is there a noticible differance in ride and handling?
      2) How is the handling performance with the bags at a moderate low driving height?
      3) Reliability? How do these things hold up over a few years? Not concerned about easily replaced "expendables" like the plastic air lines... But concerned about bags mainly. Recomendations?
      4) The kicker I guess... I have both tokico illuminas adjustable struts and currently running H&R coilovers. Would one of these be usable for the strut portion?
      I don't want to hijack this thread. I have always been a coilover guy and am curious to the differances between bags and coils, other than the obvious height adjustability via a switch. I bet I am not alone in my questions and maybe this will help a few others thinking about it?
      I am interested becasue I would like a slightly "softer/smoother" ride for the open road. I suspect bags will be gentler on my suspension in bad conditions. But I am likely to be putting 15-20k on it in a couple months period and on roads that will be highly questionable. Reliability of the major components will be a big factor.
      Besides I love low, but can't ever get my car on the damn lift....

Vehicles
      A few Brokeswagens
      12-12-2009 10:59 PM #68
      global warming my azz!!

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      12-13-2009 01:40 AM #69
      Quote, originally posted by T3Bunny »
      Okay I have a few questions for you WCHLVR, and anyone else that has lived with air. I have been leaning towards air myself but am concerned about reliability and handling.
      1) When the car is low, it has less air in the bags. I am assuming as you raise the car up the ride gets firmer? Is there a noticible differance in ride and handling?
      2) How is the handling performance with the bags at a moderate low driving height?
      3) Reliability? How do these things hold up over a few years? Not concerned about easily replaced "expendables" like the plastic air lines... But concerned about bags mainly. Recomendations?
      4) The kicker I guess... I have both tokico illuminas adjustable struts and currently running H&R coilovers. Would one of these be usable for the strut portion?
      I don't want to hijack this thread. I have always been a coilover guy and am curious to the differances between bags and coils, other than the obvious height adjustability via a switch. I bet I am not alone in my questions and maybe this will help a few others thinking about it?
      I am interested becasue I would like a slightly "softer/smoother" ride for the open road. I suspect bags will be gentler on my suspension in bad conditions. But I am likely to be putting 15-20k on it in a couple months period and on roads that will be highly questionable. Reliability of the major components will be a big factor.
      Besides I love low, but can't ever get my car on the damn lift....

http://www.caranddriver.com/fe...stuff
      www.D9Tribe.com
      www.mk1dubz.com

Vehicles
      1977 VW Rabbit
      12-13-2009 03:10 AM #70
      VERY informaive article!
      Fascinating and air suspension works the way I would like it to too! Lower=stiffer! Perfect.
      The only thing not answered by that is reliability concerns.
      And seems I should pursue using the tokico's if I go about this. They are adjustable on top too so even better. I honestly don't think I would be going low enough to make it matter that they are stock length. Anyways back on track.
      Looking forward to seeing more on this thread!

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      12-13-2009 04:25 AM #71
      VERY informaive article!
      Fascinating and air suspension works the way I would like it to too! Lower=stiffer! Perfect.
      And seems I should pursue using the tokico's if I go about this. They are adjustable on top too so even better. I honestly don't think I would be going low enough to make it matter that they are stock length. Anyways back on track.
      Looking forward to seeing more on this thread!

Like everything else on your car, an air ride setup is only as reliable as the amount of maintenance you put into it.
      Fittings
      Hoses
      Wiring
      Pumps
      Relays
      Switches
      Gauges
      Valves
      Driers.... the list goes on and on. If one sets it up correctly. Keep everything nice and neat. And is willing to give it"the once over" very once and a while... it will be as reliable as the rest of your car.
      On a related note- The kit I am building is designed to work with coilovers. If you are wanting it to work with stock struts I am certain we can work something out.

Vehicles
      Project Doppelganger
      12-18-2009 06:22 AM #72
      Update-
      Got back from my 'Jet guy with a stack of new goodies. Everything turned out awesome.

Started some strut mockup... see how things fit.
      Busted out the drill press and countersunk the holes for the bag mount to use flat sockethead screws (gotta make every mm count)

Had to countersink the bag a little so the screws would tighten down! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Also using flat socket heads on the strut cap. These will be tack in place for easy mounting.

Using standard socket head on the bottom. This work perfectly to lock the bag into the adjustment rings and keep it from spinning.

Upper bag mount will have a pipe here (size to be just enough to clear everything)

As you can see, if I run the numbers correctly, I should be able to calculate for strut bearing sag and close this gap up really tight and still have full function. (top plate is the lower mounting flange for the strut bearing cap.

More to come! Next episode- Getting the Coupe back in the garage, mock this up and see where we're at!

23. 12-18-2009 06:57 AM #73
      this is awesome!!!!
      dom

Vehicles
      Mk4 Tdi, The Easter Bunny
      12-18-2009 07:58 AM #74
      VERY informaive article!

drove my mk1 on air for about 9 months with literally no issues, even throughout the winter. also daily'd my tdi on air for the last year or so with out any problems.

this thread looks great, only concern i have is that the struts may still hold you up. i couldnt get the height i wanted up front on the aero over coils on my mk1 even with my 2 1/2 inch raised towers.
      i ended up having to get custom shortened struts from bagyard.
      im sure you will figure something out though.
      oh, and im jealous of your fabrication skills.

Vehicles
      I haz a bunnah
      12-18-2009 09:00 AM #75

I'm curious as to how they came up with that.
      In my bagged chevy S10 I had it was the opposite effect. Less PSI (lower) = softer more bouncy the ride. More PSI (higher) firmer/stiff ride.
      Quote Originally Posted by WackyWabbitRacer View Post
      You're new here but don't be a DORK.....
      Cheers, WWR.
      Quote Originally Posted by rte7x9 View Post
      Don't swap if you can't weld or fabricate. It's not a trivial task just to bolt everything up. There's a lot of nut-scratching involved. Take your time and do it right.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast