Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 36 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    Results 1,226 to 1,260 of 1957

    Thread: Switching to Bike Carbs. Heres a write up!

    1. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-03-2012 11:10 AM #1226
      Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      A bike tuner will likely have a ton of jets for an R1, unless they dont keep stuff in stock for carbed bikes anymore.
      no one really has them in stock, and its a b!tch to find them online.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    2. Member ncbrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2010
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      2,250
      Vehicles
      Porsche 951, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      05-03-2012 02:07 PM #1227
      Any local yamaha dealer will be able to order them and likely have them in stock. They usually have boxes and boxes of jets for various carbs

    3. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-03-2012 03:22 PM #1228
      Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
      Any local yamaha dealer will be able to order them and likely have them in stock. They usually have boxes and boxes of jets for various carbs
      I tried. Nothing local, and even when i call dynojet which makes jets for r1, they only have the slightly larger set rated for stock engine with only exhaust.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    4. Member ncbrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2010
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      2,250
      Vehicles
      Porsche 951, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      05-03-2012 03:34 PM #1229
      then looks like drilling is your best bet, its not hard at all just order a dozen or so small drill bits of the right size from mcmaster-carr

    5. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-03-2012 10:14 PM #1230
      Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
      then looks like drilling is your best bet, its not hard at all just order a dozen or so small drill bits of the right size from mcmaster-carr
      I'm going to take the car to a shop that specializes in carbs, so they will take care of it.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    6. Member yeayeayea's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2005
      Location
      Lusby MD
      Posts
      10,694
      Vehicles
      2002 M5, 2002 325Xi Touring, 2001 Jetta, 1995 gsx600
      05-03-2012 11:41 PM #1231
      well if it comes down to it, drilling them is super easy with a drillpress, especially one with a vice.

      Hell for less than the cost of a jet kit I bought my drillpress and vice off craigslist.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2009
      Location
      Mexico City, Mexico
      Posts
      136
      Vehicles
      2001 vw pointer - r1 bike carbs
      05-05-2012 05:26 PM #1232
      So... no help for me?

    8. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-05-2012 09:05 PM #1233
      Quote Originally Posted by pnavarro View Post
      So... no help for me?
      maybe it would be better to take the car to a shop that works on carbs. i much rather do that and have them dyno tune it than messing and guessing with minimal knowledge.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2006
      Location
      Elizabethtown, PA
      Posts
      3,865
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      05-06-2012 10:51 AM #1234
      Quote Originally Posted by pnavarro View Post
      So... no help for me?
      Know nothing about those other carbs, man. Hell, I don't even know much about my R1 carbs!

      When you say they have a "pump," I'm assuming an accelerator pump, like a Holley or a Weber. I think the R1 style carbs just use vacuum to increase fuel flow.

    10. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-06-2012 02:45 PM #1235
      on a side note, what size are the R1 carbs?
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2009
      Location
      Mexico City, Mexico
      Posts
      136
      Vehicles
      2001 vw pointer - r1 bike carbs
      05-06-2012 04:39 PM #1236
      Quote Originally Posted by rysskii3 View Post
      maybe it would be better to take the car to a shop that works on carbs. i much rather do that and have them dyno tune it than messing and guessing with minimal knowledge.
      That'd be great, if only where I live had knowledgeable carb specialists. So no, there aren't. Also, the guy with these carbs is not near me (In Mexico City, Mexico), he's in the country of Guatemala, so I'd like to be able to help him as best to my ability.

      Guesswork was what I did when I installed my R1 carbs, thanks to the knowledge of some awesome dudes on here, which gave me the guts to do the mod myself, instead of handing the job to someone else. I'm not saying it's not good, it's just different.

      Anyways, I'll contnue to look for answers.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2009
      Location
      Mexico City, Mexico
      Posts
      136
      Vehicles
      2001 vw pointer - r1 bike carbs
      05-06-2012 04:42 PM #1237
      Quote Originally Posted by YJSAABMAN View Post
      Know nothing about those other carbs, man. Hell, I don't even know much about my R1 carbs!

      When you say they have a "pump," I'm assuming an accelerator pump, like a Holley or a Weber. I think the R1 style carbs just use vacuum to increase fuel flow.
      Yes! That accelerator pump thingy, whatever that's called. Having a bit of idea on how to adjust it would be awesome...

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2006
      Location
      Elizabethtown, PA
      Posts
      3,865
      Vehicles
      '97 Golf (sold), '82 Rabbit 'vert, '92 Jetta VRT, '01 BMW 325i wagon
      05-07-2012 07:06 AM #1238
      Quote Originally Posted by pnavarro View Post
      Yes! That accelerator pump thingy, whatever that's called. Having a bit of idea on how to adjust it would be awesome...
      I haven't played with them too much, but here's a video I found on the basics of the Holley Carb's accelerator pump. IT should at least give you a better understanding of it works than I can!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6YGxVTW5Y

    14. Member
      Join Date
      May 17th, 2009
      Location
      Mexico City, Mexico
      Posts
      136
      Vehicles
      2001 vw pointer - r1 bike carbs
      05-07-2012 11:57 AM #1239
      Quote Originally Posted by YJSAABMAN View Post
      I haven't played with them too much, but here's a video I found on the basics of the Holley Carb's accelerator pump. IT should at least give you a better understanding of it works than I can!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6YGxVTW5Y
      Wow, thanks! It clears out many questions! Thanks!

    15. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-09-2012 08:51 PM #1240
      which filters are the least restrictive for the carbs?
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    16. Member 86Franklin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2008
      Location
      Goshen, Indiana
      Posts
      479
      Vehicles
      1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8l 16v / 01 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro
      05-10-2012 08:44 AM #1241
      Screens. Then a nice paper filter such as k&n or a good foam filter for decent flow but best protection.

    17. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-10-2012 09:21 AM #1242
      Quote Originally Posted by 86Franklin View Post
      Screens. Then a nice paper filter such as k&n or a good foam filter for decent flow but best protection.
      that would be nice but how easy is to find it, because i can easily buy k&n cone filters, but they are $$$$$.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    18. Member funpig's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2003
      Location
      Decatur GA
      Posts
      721
      Vehicles
      80 Scirocco, 81 Caddy, 83 GTI, 03 Jetta Wagon
      05-10-2012 03:28 PM #1243

      Here is what I did for my "filter" Took half of the R1 intake and mated up with half of an aircooled fuel injected airbox and doubled up some window screen as the filters. Works great and almost looks like it could be a factory item.

      On a side note:
      Are any of you monkeys going to be making it to SOWO next weekend?? It would be interesting to get as many R1 carb setups together.

    19. Member yeayeayea's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2005
      Location
      Lusby MD
      Posts
      10,694
      Vehicles
      2002 M5, 2002 325Xi Touring, 2001 Jetta, 1995 gsx600
      05-10-2012 04:59 PM #1244
      Quote Originally Posted by rysskii3 View Post
      that would be nice but how easy is to find it, because i can easily buy k&n cone filters, but they are $$$$$.
      ebay has cheap carb filters

    20. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-10-2012 05:54 PM #1245
      Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      ebay has cheap carb filters
      They are cheap for a reason.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    21. Member yeayeayea's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2005
      Location
      Lusby MD
      Posts
      10,694
      Vehicles
      2002 M5, 2002 325Xi Touring, 2001 Jetta, 1995 gsx600
      05-10-2012 06:32 PM #1246
      Quote Originally Posted by rysskii3 View Post
      They are cheap for a reason.
      The set I have seem fine. But I can respect you wanting a known brand for something like an air filter. I dont even run filters. They hit my hood

    22. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-10-2012 06:49 PM #1247
      They are cheap for a reason.


      The set I have seem fine. But I can respect you wanting a known brand for something like an air filter. I dont even run filters. They hit my hood
      Mine fit no problem with filters, I just don't buy anything on eBay unless It's a known and respected brand. EBay sells lots of crappy products, and I learned that many years ago.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    23. Member ncbrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2010
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      2,250
      Vehicles
      Porsche 951, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      05-10-2012 07:38 PM #1248
      people run no filters all the time with webers, I dont see why cheaping out on ebay filters for the street is a problem. I run no filters unless its raining on my webers.

    24. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-11-2012 12:48 AM #1249
      Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
      people run no filters all the time with webers, I dont see why cheaping out on ebay filters for the street is a problem. I run no filters unless its raining on my webers.
      good luck with re-building your engine. im going to be racing the car, so there will be a need for filters.


      So i was checking my timing, got the car warmed up and it cycled the radiator fans 2 times. The only time I saw the timing mark was when the dial on the gun was past 60. Where should the timing be set at?

      Last edited by rysskii3; 05-11-2012 at 02:03 AM.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    25. Member ncbrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2010
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      2,250
      Vehicles
      Porsche 951, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      05-11-2012 06:55 AM #1250
      people run open webers ALL the time up at the track. Every car ive seen at the vintage races with webers didnt have any filter on it. Id say 80% of people on here with webers run no filters also so I guess they all will be rebuilding their engine too? just sayin, don't knock something till you actually know
      Last edited by ncbrock; 05-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.

    26. Member yeayeayea's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2005
      Location
      Lusby MD
      Posts
      10,694
      Vehicles
      2002 M5, 2002 325Xi Touring, 2001 Jetta, 1995 gsx600
      05-11-2012 07:07 AM #1251
      Hes made it clear he wants to run filters, so no need to attack anyone.

      I will say, running filters vs no filters makes a difference in what jets you run. My car will not run right with the filters on, the slight restriction is enough to make it pull too much fuel.

    27. Member oldschool eighty8's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2009
      Location
      Way up theah, Maine
      Posts
      2,764
      Vehicles
      Mk6 tdi, Corrado
      05-11-2012 07:22 AM #1252
      Since we're on the filter topic what does everyone think of these uni filters?

    28. Member ncbrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2010
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      2,250
      Vehicles
      Porsche 951, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      05-11-2012 07:32 AM #1253
      Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      Hes made it clear he wants to run filters, so no need to attack anyone.

      I will say, running filters vs no filters makes a difference in what jets you run. My car will not run right with the filters on, the slight restriction is enough to make it pull too much fuel.
      I'm not saying to run no filters I'm just saying that running "cheap" ebay filters on any type of road is fine. Unless your following someone costantly that's in the dirt or your track cleaners suck then it will be fine with cheap paper filters. If you feel like going overkill on everything then go ahead its not my money

      The only reason I would go with a quality filter is if your carbs are tuned properly Nd your WOT all the time and fuel is atomizing out the front like they should the filters will break down eventually and I've seen filters do more harm than good. So id rather get a quality filter for that quality rather than believing they block out more particles
      Last edited by ncbrock; 05-11-2012 at 07:37 AM.

    29. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-11-2012 10:47 AM #1254
      Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
      people run open webers ALL the time up at the track. Every car ive seen at the vintage races with webers didnt have any filter on it. Id say 80% of people on here with webers run no filters also so I guess they all will be rebuilding their engine too? just sayin, don't knock something till you actually know
      do you understand english? i said that i wanted filters, leave it at that!
      Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      Hes made it clear he wants to run filters, so no need to attack anyone.

      I will say, running filters vs no filters makes a difference in what jets you run. My car will not run right with the filters on, the slight restriction is enough to make it pull too much fuel.
      thank you.


      anyways, where should the timing be set at?
      Last edited by rysskii3; 05-11-2012 at 11:26 AM.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    30. Member 86Franklin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2008
      Location
      Goshen, Indiana
      Posts
      479
      Vehicles
      1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8l 16v / 01 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro
      05-11-2012 11:27 AM #1255
      Any reusable paper style filter with k&n oil will be just as good as a k&n. Also keep in mind the dirtier a filter gets the more it filters and restricts flow. If you're tracking your car run screens if you want some kind of protection. If your carbs face the front don't run foam filters when its raining it'll suck up as much water as it wants. Paper does the same but not quite as bad. It'll also ruin the paper if soaks up enough water. I found if its raining my car only runs with the filters off. Not the best for the engine but I had to do it a couple times :/

    31. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-11-2012 01:16 PM #1256
      Quote Originally Posted by 86Franklin View Post
      Any reusable paper style filter with k&n oil will be just as good as a k&n. Also keep in mind the dirtier a filter gets the more it filters and restricts flow. If you're tracking your car run screens if you want some kind of protection. If your carbs face the front don't run foam filters when its raining it'll suck up as much water as it wants. Paper does the same but not quite as bad. It'll also ruin the paper if soaks up enough water. I found if its raining my car only runs with the filters off. Not the best for the engine but I had to do it a couple times :/
      thanx. the car is not driven in the rain ( no wipers).
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    32. Member ncbrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2010
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      2,250
      Vehicles
      Porsche 951, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      05-11-2012 01:43 PM #1257
      Quote Originally Posted by rysskii3 View Post
      do you understand english? i said that i wanted filters, leave it at that!


      thank you.


      anyways, where should the timing be set at?
      No English at all. Set the timing at 60 you'll be fine seriously do you even read? I'm not saying run no filters I'm just saying don't bash ebay filters for street use because people run no filters all the time. Who speaks English now? I forgot why I left vortex a while ago, now I remember.
      Last edited by ncbrock; 05-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.

    33. Member yeayeayea's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2005
      Location
      Lusby MD
      Posts
      10,694
      Vehicles
      2002 M5, 2002 325Xi Touring, 2001 Jetta, 1995 gsx600
      05-11-2012 05:07 PM #1258
      Quote Originally Posted by ncbrock View Post
      No English at all. Set the timing at 60 you'll be fine seriously do you even read? I'm not saying run no filters I'm just saying don't bash ebay filters for street use because people run no filters all the time. Who speaks English now? I forgot why I left vortex a while ago, now I remember.
      Your argument is flawed. Just because you can run no filters, does not mean that you can run cheap filters just fine. What if a cheap filter falls apart, and sucks in your intake? Then it would most certainly be worse than running no filter at all. This is likely what he is trying to avoid. I have had my car eat a set of screens I was running as an intake. I dont like to think about what it did to the inside of the engine, I just pretend it went through without causing any harm.

    34. Member rysskii3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2006
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      9,302
      Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      05-11-2012 09:07 PM #1259
      Quote Originally Posted by yeayeayea View Post
      Your argument is flawed. Just because you can run no filters, does not mean that you can run cheap filters just fine. What if a cheap filter falls apart, and sucks in your intake? Then it would most certainly be worse than running no filter at all. This is likely what he is trying to avoid. I have had my car eat a set of screens I was running as an intake. I dont like to think about what it did to the inside of the engine, I just pretend it went through without causing any harm.
      almost everything on ebay is crap. i rather spend more on quality and reliability.
      just ignore ncbrock, he always talks out of his ass, half the comments he makes are completely meaningless.

      now that we are dont conversating about filters, whats the timing should be at?
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

    35. Member ncbrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2010
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      2,250
      Vehicles
      Porsche 951, 330i SpecE46, M Coupe, FFR Cobra
      05-11-2012 09:31 PM #1260
      Quote Originally Posted by rysskii3 View Post
      almost everything on ebay is crap. i rather spend more on quality and reliability.
      just ignore ncbrock, he always talks out of his ass, half the comments he makes are completely meaningless.

      now that we are dont conversating about filters, whats the timing should be at?
      yeah half my comments are meaningless how old are you 12? I actually just love posting things to make you mad because its quite hilarious.
      Last edited by ncbrock; 05-11-2012 at 09:40 PM.

    Page 36 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •