Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.6 NA pump mods?

1. 11-15-2009 10:32 AM #1
      I've searched a bit and can't find anything really in-depth on this topic. I just purchased an '86 1.6L NA Golf, first diesel VW I've owned (I've been running VE pumped Dodge diesels for several years). From things I've seen in the past, the VW pump looks almost the same as the Cummins. However, the pump on my '86 Golf doesn't look that much like it. Is this a different pump than a VE? Maybe some of you guys could point me a good direction to find out some more info on this pump. I've got plenty of power out of the Cummins and I think my NA Golf could use some more. Thanks in advance for any help.

Vehicles
      Because MK1
      11-16-2009 01:34 AM #2
      I highly suggest Joining this site;

http://www.vwdiesel.net They specialize in DIESEL over there.

Also recommend reading this post on how to make your 1.6 N/a faster

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/...391.0

This governor mod is also said to free up some power.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/...781.0

GOOD LUCK

Modified by 8v-of-fury at 10:07 AM 11-16-2009

3. 11-16-2009 01:45 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by 8v-of-fury »
      I highly suggest Joining this site;

http://www.vwdiesel.net They specialize in DIESEL over there.

Also recommend reading this post on how to make your 1.6 N/a faster.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/...391.0

This governor mod is also said to free up some power.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/...781.0

GOOD LUCK.

4. 11-16-2009 06:20 PM #4
      Thank you very much, I think this is the first time I've posted on here that somebody hasn't flamed the hell out of me.

Thanks for the advice.

11-17-2009 02:18 AM #5
      Welcome to the "mellow" oil-burner's forum !

No spark plugs, no need to flame, we're barely flammable

(having 'pre-chambers' gives us IDI'ers more time to think b4 responding... like counting to ten.

Modified by janb at 11:20 PM 11-16-2009

Home of the $35 VW-D
      (look in your neighbor's brier patch to find your next Rabbit )
      (25) VW-D's IDI's & (3) B4 TDIs and various other clattermobiles

6. 11-17-2009 06:52 PM #6
      Well thanks, I really appreciate that. Another ? for you guys: Is it possible to just bolt the turbo stuff on to make it a 1.6TD? Or is there major differences in the NA engines? I have built forced induction setups before, never for a VW diesel though. What I was thinking of doing was fabricating an upper plenum and using an old 50 trim turbo I have laying on the shelf. Do the NA IP's have the fueling capabilities to accept boost? Like I said I've been monkeying around with the old Dodges which run the VE pump and have made some pretty decent power with them. How many different pumps did VW use?

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      11-18-2009 10:30 AM #7
      You can, but there are differences. The main difference between NA and TD VW engines is that the TD engines had piston oil squirters in the block, where the NA engines did not. That being said, many people have run NA blocks in a turbo setup without any ill effects as long as EGT's are kept in check.

I am doing a very similar build, though I rebuilt the engine and had the pistons ceramic coated to help with heat protection. Check the link in my signature for the whole build up.

The NA injection pumps do not have the boost aneroid to increase fueling under boost. You can turn up the fuel in the NA pumps, but they will be smokey until boost builds, it is better to run a TD pump if you are adding turbo to an NA engine.

Finally, a 50-trim turbo might be a bit too large for a 1.6, though depending on how crazy you are going with the build, it might work. I'm running a 45-trim from a Mercedes Diesel, which is a bit bigger than the stock VW T3, many have said it will be too big, but it builds boost just revving it in neutral without any additional fueling, so I have a feeling it will work.

VW used basically the same VE pump for all of the IDI engines, with minor differences through the years. The early 1.5 pumps were as basic as they get, with only a cold-start timing increase lever. The early 1.6's had turbo and non-turbo versions, some had a dual-detent cold start setup, some NA applications had an altitude-compensating aneroid on top, the Eco-Diesel cars had a turbo but an under-fueled NA pump to clean up emissions, etc... The later 1.9 IDI pumps had idle boost when AC was turned on, etc... but essentially they are all very similar pumps.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

8. 11-18-2009 12:37 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by janb »
      Welcome to the "mellow" oil-burner's forum!

9. 11-18-2009 06:00 PM #9
      That's a whole lot of very useful information. I was thinking it over last night about the 50-trim and had kind of put a stop to that process when I remembered my Conquest having a very hard time spooling it. Now my next thought was of using a 9G from a 3000GT, bit on the small side but so is the 1.6L. Not sure what to do yet.