Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another massive mk3 roadtrip - Southeast USA

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '74 Bug (yard), '96 Jetta 255K (yard), '02 Cabrio 104K (sold), '06 Rabbit 127K BGP, '08 Jetta 55K
      11-18-2009 12:19 AM #26
      Another trip!! You should have stopped by for a beer at least!
      You put up with wheel shimmy on this trip? Do you have any heat shield rattling? That'd stop me from going over 100 miles right now...

Modified by FL 2.0L at 12:33 AM 11-18-2009

2. 11-18-2009 12:40 AM #27
      man, i feel like i'm sitting shotgun on the roadtrip. What do you do for a living?
      Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.

3. 11-18-2009 01:15 AM #28
      You sir are a mad man! mad props!

Vehicles
      VW, unfortunately
      11-18-2009 01:48 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by New 2 »
      awesome meeting you this past weekend, wish i had looked at the car closer. enjoying both your threads [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      edit-i missed the video the first time through, my favorite song of all time. good choice.

Ditto Car's nothing special, was just another filthy mk3 with 3000 miles of brake dust and dirt from following the hurricane throughout the past week.
      Quote, originally posted by canucker »
      When you going to do Canada. coast to coast along the trans canada?

Canada's beautiful and the people are nice but the gas prices are a bit too extravagent for my budget-minded tastes. Funny username btw
      Quote, originally posted by FL 2.0L »
      Another trip!! You should have stopped by for a beer at least!
      You put up with wheel shimmy on this trip? Do you have any heat shield rattling? That'd stop me from going over 100 miles right now...

No heat shield rattling and nothing shimmied on the highway. Just back roads and cities where (luckily) I didn't do most of the driving.
      Quote, originally posted by Yeah Right! »
      what's your profession btw?

Unemployed so I have a lot of time off and a small satchel of pennies saved up. It didn't really cost anything other than gas. I spent less than others would on a weekend getaway involving hotels and airfare. I didn't eat much either. One day I had a pear for breakfast and an apple for dinner. I need a diet anyway. Lots of things I did were even free or ridiculously cheap. You can see and do lots of things without paying an arm and a leg. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Thanks to all for the comments. Without interest, I wouldn't have continued with the thread so on we go...

Vehicles
      VW, unfortunately
      11-18-2009 01:56 AM #30
      Day 4
      Woke up in a Mississippi rest area. They provide armed security at night and even have private parking areas!

The bedroom

Cruised with this guy into Florida. Car sounded so nice. Who said Florida cars are spraybombed?
      (BTW, I didn't see any spraypainted cars the whole time I was in Florida, and I saw every part of the state)

Pensacola Naval Air Station

National Museum of Naval Aviation
      I love this pic

The first plane to cross the Atlantic. It was huge! Like a massive ship with wings.

The first plane to land on an aircraft carrier

Buy a $25 war bond and enter the raffle to win a newish Ford V8!

A Russian MIG-15

The Blue Angels

They fly in this close proximity!

Then spent the rest of the time playing around with the jetfighters

Left there at 5pm. Somehow, I thought Tampa was closer to Pensacola. Put it into the gps, 7hours and 500 miles away! It was a long night. Didn't get into Tampa until 1am, tired and bored out of my mind!

Vehicles
      97' Golf GL
      11-18-2009 01:57 AM #31
      You caught some nice pictures Hope everything goes well! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

7. 11-18-2009 08:52 AM #32
      man I must have missed you right as I was leaving Florida! Awesome road trip again! I know what I will be doing, come spring time! Like I said in your other thread, we should get a couple cars together. I have a friend who wants to bring his mk5 along.

Vehicles
      1987 Golf 2012 GTI
      11-18-2009 09:21 AM #33
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emlove.gif[/IMG]
      unperfectionist

9. 11-18-2009 09:35 AM #34
      wow awesome. i'd love to do this.
      Quote Originally Posted by dirtbaggg View Post
      is there anyway to get a new uni body?

like can yu take the uni body off

Vehicles
      VW, unfortunately
      11-18-2009 11:31 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by stofficer2 »
      man I must have missed you right as I was leaving Florida! Awesome road trip again! I know what I will be doing, come spring time! Like I said in your other thread, we should get a couple cars together. I have a friend who wants to bring his mk5 along.

Have you been to Shenandoah yet? It's right there in your state and I'm contemplating going again since the weather was so bad when I went.
      Quote, originally posted by OnelowcabriO »
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emlove.gif[/IMG]

When you move, you'd better take the long way there and stretch that trip if you can.

11. 11-18-2009 12:12 PM #36
      awsome thread

Vehicles
      1995 GTI VR6, 2011 Golf TDI
      11-18-2009 02:13 PM #37
      Great thread. I'm glad you made it to T4T's.
      -Meredith-

13. 11-18-2009 02:24 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by vedub420 »
      awsome thread

awsome thread indeed [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      95 surf 20vt
      11-18-2009 02:46 PM #39
      you're going to have to get a variant for your next trip, haha
      have you considered bringing someone along with you or is this a personal thing you want to do alone?
      *2011 MkIII Kickball Champions*/OCVW/DJR MK3 HELP PAGE/Never Forget/MkIII.net

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge stratus SXT Coupe
      11-18-2009 02:55 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by mkIIIVDUB »
      have you considered bringing someone along with you or is this a personal thing you want to do alone?

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      i did a 13 hour drive by my self to kansas awhile back, first 1/2 the trip was fine, blastin music having fun, then it was just..... i had a hard time finishing..
      good luck though bud! looks like a blast [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      "Play a Windows CD backwards and hear scary messages. Thats nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows"
      Homebrewers of the 'tex. Join us! Home brewers CHECK IN please!

Vehicles
      95 surf 20vt
      11-18-2009 03:15 PM #41
      when my friend wanted to move back to oc, i flew out to chicago and we drove back with plans to visit as many pro sport stadiums and other attractions as possible. it was a lot of fun.
      stadiums visited:
      chicago bears
      chicago blackhawks
      st louis rams
      tennessee titans
      memphis grizzlies
      nashville predators
      atlanta falcons
      atlanta thrashers
      carolina panthers
      carolina hurricanes
      washington redskins
      baltimore ravens
      we pretty much made a big "U" driving from chicago to ocean city
      oh yeah, we saw the biggest superman statue in the world, which turned out to not be that big

Vehicles
      VW, unfortunately
      11-18-2009 04:11 PM #42
      Quote, originally posted by Juice Box »
      Great thread. I'm glad you made it to T4T's.

It was along the way anyway Good to see ya Mere
      you're going to have to get a variant for your next trip, haha

Ha, find me one stateside that's legal. And I like being alone really. This way I can do what I want when I want. I did have someone for a couple days though, it wouldn't have been as fun without him. I'll get to that in a min.
      Quote, originally posted by Kameirocco »
      i did a 13 hour drive by my self to kansas awhile back, first 1/2 the trip was fine, blastin music having fun, then it was just..... i had a hard time finishing..

That I can agree with and is a potential problem. There's not a whole lot to see in middle America but the trick is to find a destination along the route to not only break up the traveling time, but also something to look forward to.
      when my friend wanted to move back to oc, i flew out to chicago and we drove back with plans to visit as many pro sport stadiums and other attractions as possible. it was a lot of fun.
      we pretty much made a big "U" driving from chicago to ocean city
      oh yeah, we saw the biggest superman statue in the world, which turned out to not be that big

That's awesome dude. That's something like the guy who drove everywhere in his R32 did, he wanted to visit as many baseball stadiums as he could. How big was the biggest superman statue?

Vehicles
      VW, unfortunately
      11-18-2009 04:12 PM #43

Day 5
      Woke up in Tampa

Went to the Classic Corvettes and Collectibles Museum

This thing was badass

Corvette chassis, engine, twin turboed and intercooled

Took the sunshine skyway but don't have any pictures. It's a 15-mile bridge made up of 3 smaller bridges and a 4-mile skyway.
      Heading south towards Key Largo

Loved the highway-lined palm trees

At Key Largo, I picked up my college buddy who moved to FL last year and we went to Key West together. Saw Hemingway's house, Mallory Square, and went barhopping. Most fun I've had on the trip so far.

Vehicles
      VW, unfortunately
      11-18-2009 04:26 PM #44
      Day 6
      Went to see the southernmost point in the daylight.

Watched for inflatable rafts but didn't see any.

Driving on the overseas highway on the way back to mainland

I want to own one of those little islands one day

Parasailors

Didn't even wash the car yet!

Miami!!!!

Ocean Drive was incredible

"Pelican Pelican Pelican"

Miami Beach!

We went to the Clevelander hotel, where we had some beers, I fell in love and watched some chick get airbrushed.
      This was the only safe-for-vortex picture I got.

I was sad to leave Miami. We weren't there long enough. But now I know I want to go back!

The view from my boy's place in a private gated community in Boca. They never use it. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] It's sacriligious, the sunsets over the water with the palm trees are amazing. They don't even open the shades. I still can't get over that.

20. 11-18-2009 06:43 PM #45
      WHAT PART OF BOCA IS THAT.

21. 11-18-2009 07:05 PM #46
      i support this thread and your madness

11-18-2009 07:16 PM #47
      you always seem to be the only person everywhere you go, lol
      Sounds like a sick trip, wish i could do that.
      Farthest i've been is Ocean city for h20 but thats still 13 hours for me
      The Wagon
      The Mk3 VR
      tberardinucci
      Quote Originally Posted by iheartphaetons View Post
      Driving comes in two styles. First is extra cautious because family, scared female, or cop. Other is straight Russian dash cam.

Vehicles
      95 surf 20vt
      11-18-2009 11:00 PM #48
      Quote, originally posted by LG6R »
      How big was the biggest superman statue?

on our way out of illinois we kept seeing these billboards for the worlds largest superman statue everywhere so we decided to check it out. it was in a town called metropolis (just like in the superman story) and the whole town is pretty much superman themed. this statue is in front of the courthouse and says underneath of it " truth-justice-the american way".
      we thought it was pretty funny

Vehicles
      VW, unfortunately
      11-19-2009 02:01 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by JONATHANSVR6 »
      WHAT PART OF BOCA IS THAT.

Somewhere west of Highland Beach.
      Quote, originally posted by tylerlb »
      you always seem to be the only person everywhere you go, lol
      Farthest i've been is Ocean city for h20 but thats still 13 hours for me

There's plenty of people around but I don't like them in my pictures.
      Always impressed by the Canadian license plates at H2o. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] The cars are usually parked the whole weekend though. It's like you guys say "f it, I drove enough the other day" lol.
      on our way out of illinois we kept seeing these billboards for the worlds largest superman statue everywhere so we decided to check it out. it was in a town called metropolis (just like in the superman story) and the whole town is pretty much superman themed. this statue is in front of the courthouse and says underneath of it " truth-justice-the american way".
      we thought it was pretty funny

That is funny. I'm sure that 98% of the people visiting the town were thinking the same thing on the highway and had a bit of extra time to check it out. I know I would.
      Day 7
      Got an oil change and headed north to Kennedy Space Center. If I had waited a week, I could have witnessed the last shuttle they sent up there on Monday.

The control room where all the engineers were for Apollo 11.

The Saturn V rocket launched into space

The Vehicle Assembly Building

Rainbow

International Space Station

Passed Daytona Beach

I'm working on getting the rest of the pics up quickly so I can get this thread over with...

Vehicles
      7 of em.
      11-19-2009 03:14 PM #50
      I did this back in July, I guess you like to read about road trips too, not just writing them
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4499146
      This thread is super dope, like the last trip of yours [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Car looks so clean, and you rack up so many miles in it it's insane. How many miles have you put on it in total? Oh, and that GIF from the tail of the Dragon; NICE! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      I so wanna drive around the States after seeing this...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast