VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The F N Pothole Build!

68K views 241 replies 73 participants last post by  fancyTHIS 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
So I got another GLI going on air here, I'm sure you guys have seen my car around on vortex (I'm a bit of a whore).
Wasn't hearing back from Mason-Tech, so i called Andrew at Open Road Tuning, he called me back a couple hours later and we got everything set up to go!
Thanks a ton Andrew!
Big shout out to Dustin at Accuair, for helping straighten out some confusion that I had!
Big thanks to Lawrence, Sam and all the other guys @ Calgary Autoworks!

More parts arriving in the next couple weeks, keeps your eyes peeled!

Edit: picture was MASSIVE

See less See more
#52 ·
UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Verdict Motorsport Shifter Bushing Install.
Easy.

Tools: Extensions, socket with 1/2 inch bit, Tools to remove your airbox, and a knife to cut out the old rubber bushings.

Remove air box then Remove these 3 - 1/2 inch bolts

Different Picture of bolts, also a finished picture.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blocks
13.5' high approximately made by me from about 18 foot lengths of 2x6 for EACH one. I put a small piece of 2x4 on the lifting points so that it didn't rest on my side skirts.

How i got it up onto the Blocks.
I started by driving the front wheels up on my homemade ramps, that are a gradual step up of 2x6, to a height of 4 - 2x6's stacked, no pictures of this.
Leave the car in gear with the e-brake set to stop any rolling.
I started by finding two OEM Widow Makers and putting them at the lifting points in front of the rear wheels, I lifted the rear evenly using the OEM jacks with some help from my friend (DONT DO THIS WITHOUT SOMEONE ELSE, 3 PEOPLE MAKE IT THE EASIEST). I lifted it just enough to get the rear high enough to get a big trust-worthy jack under each of the springs.

I started lifting the rear with the jacks under the springs, if you don't do this and just use the OEM jacks it will fall to the side and mess up your paint and or you. Have two people pumping the jacks evenly and one person watch from behind to make sure that the car stays even while lifting.
Once it is high enough slip the blocks in under the lifting points for the rear and the 2x4 on top, make sure the weight is centered on the blocks. Lower the rears and make sure its all sturdy and stuff.
For the front
Being that it was already on ramps i had no problems getting the big jacks under it, i took off my front valence to give more space to pump the jack handle though. I put a jack in each of the spots circled.

Lift the front up evenly like the rear, two people jacking, one person to make sure its even.
Slip the blocks in and center them and all that.
The way i built my ramps was the stack of 4 2x6's were screwed to but could be separated from the rest of the ramp.
Finished product:

Removing Rear Struts / Springs
Start by pulling your fender liners, pretty basic, t25 torx (can someone verify this for me?)
(no pictures)
At the top where your strut meets the body, there is a bracket with 2 - 16mm bolts holding it in, undo these, do the same on the other side. You can also cut your bump stops too, if you plan on going that low.

Once the struts are loose, the rear beam will drop down, and the spring should pull out.
Undo the bottom bolt if you are replacing the strut.

More to come as i work on the car.
If anyone has anything to add or for me to change send me a pm and i can update it.

#54 ·
Re: UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! (wagner17)

Quote, originally posted by wagner17 »
i guess you have something against jackstands.

My dad was a firefighter for 35 years, he has been to a lot of calls of fallen cars, he refuses to let me get under a car that is just on jack stands cause it is not very sturdy, if you have seen the pictures I have seen, you wouldn't put your car up on 4 jack stands and get under it again.
Don't get me wrong, 2 jack stands is fine if your doing just front or rear, but for all 4 wheels off the ground better safe than dead.

#55 ·
Re: UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! (Eurotuner.)

Quote, originally posted by Eurotuner. »

Don't get me wrong, 2 jack stands is fine if your doing just front or rear, but for all 4 wheels off the ground better safe than dead.

yeah thats what my car is on and i wont get right under it, i shake the hell outta the car before i even stick one arm under it just to be sure

#56 ·
Re: UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! (jo-psyko)

Colin, hopefully your package shows up this week

I actually had a car collapse on my hand (pinched my hand between the wheel and the fender) and almost lost 4 fingers on my right hand. Never again will I just rely on a jack or jack stands -- much better to be safe than sorry

#57 ·
Re: UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Just a little update here, I have been working away on the system and everything, looks like i will have some stuff to post in the "What are hardlines?" Thread

Pictures soon!
EDIT: When i was under the car trying to move the exhaust forward a bit more more clearance in the rear, i found porcupine quills stuck in various places under my car from the guy on the first page.

Modified by Eurotuner. at 9:18 AM 3-12-2010

#63 ·
Re: FV-QR (CanadianTurbo)

Left to do:
-Bend and connect air lines
-Set up leveling sensors
-Install Rear Bags
- Put trunk back together
Biggest problem I am having is where the F$#K are people mounting these leveling sensors??!?!?!?!?!

#64 ·
Re: FV-QR (Eurotuner.)

Had a friend weld some nuts to the control arms so that is taken care of for the leveling sensors. thanks for the link as well andrew that helped out!
I finished the car up on saturday, haven't posted anything cause i have been out driving around.
Taking some pictures tomorrow.

#69 ·
Re: (onepointeightdub)

Sorry guys, its blowing snow at like 100KM/H, so like 60MPH for everyone down south.
So no pictures, one day soon.
Also found out an old friend of mine is now a welder, so frame notch here we come!
Edit:
Also, soon ill get a video of my car crushing a full can of pop, because someone said they were going to and never did.

Modified by Eurotuner. at 12:13 AM 3-30-2010

#73 ·
Re: (gheron)

Quote, originally posted by gheron »
colin i need to see your car, where do you park at school im gonna creep on it

Haha! I'm in my parking spot in that photo at school, good luck finding me

Generally, S10 11am-12:30, then lot 7 i think it is, out behind EA from 12:30-5 (If i stay at school)
Then my top secret heated underground parking spot from 5-9

#83 ·
Quote, originally posted by gheron »
colin i need to see your car, where do you park at school im gonna creep on it

Haha! I'm in my parking spot in that photo at school, good luck finding me

Generally, S10 11am-12:30, then lot 7 i think it is, out behind EA from 12:30-5 (If i stay at school)
Then my top secret heated underground parking spot from 5-9
S-10 is a brutal parkign lot you must have to fully inflate just to get in there.

not going to post your hardware from CTH?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.