Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt vs Makita vs Ridgid

Vehicles
      C63
      11-18-2009 01:21 AM #1
      I'm looking to pick up a cordless combo kit. Using it for moderate to advanced home improvement, but am not in the trade by profession. I've narrowed it down to three choices...

Makita LXT601 $499

Dewalt DCK450xi $449

Ridgid R964 $499

Each will get 10% taken off, and the Ridgid actually an additional 15% off final price with MIR.

The Dewalt is an XRP, but the only one that isn't a Lithium Ion battery based system.

The Ridgid has a lifetime warranty, but I've heard are not the best quality leading to many a times needing to call upon the warranty...

I've had makitas and dewalts, both where the batteries were the issue and were the source of needing replacement, and I literally destroyed a Black and Decker I picked up for cheap when I started to renovate my house last year.

The Makita kit comes with the most tools, is the middle of the road pricing, and is Lithium based.

I've basically vomited the thoughts lingering in my head over which combo kit to get... Really, I just want to have a nicer set that will last awhile, like having the freedom of cordless, and will be using the cordless saws for projects where needed a corded tool won't be needed. I've thought about getting a nice driver/drill set, and having the corded versions of the saws, but it'd be nice to have the capability. When I moved to Arizona, I left behind a lot of my tools and am starting a collection from scratch.

Thoughts?

Modified by chrisyoon at 11:23 PM 11-17-2009

2. 11-18-2009 07:30 AM #2
      I would take whichever one uses lithium ion batteries. I know you said the Makita set is Li, but I thought those ones had white tools,not blue.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      07 baggedwagon, now 12 GLI
      11-18-2009 07:53 AM #3
      I would buy makita and ridgid. I will never buy another dewalt tool again. I've had nothing but problems with every single dewalt tool.
      GintyFab

Vehicles
      NB 574's & GY6 Ruckus.
      11-18-2009 07:57 AM #4
      makita, hands down.

5. 11-18-2009 08:00 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by andrew m. »
      makita, hands down.

cosigned

makita and milwaukee are my two favorites

Vehicles
      NB 574's & GY6 Ruckus.
      11-18-2009 08:08 AM #6
      i'll cosign the above stated.

i use makita, bagyard uses makita and most vw techs i know use makita.

11-18-2009 08:09 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by fasttt600 »
      I would buy makita and ridgid. I will never buy another dewalt tool again. I've had nothing but problems with every single dewalt tool.

Funny, I've had nothing but good luck!

Vehicles
      2012 Passat S manual
      11-18-2009 09:21 AM #8
      if you buy the rigid it has a lifetime warranty on all components including battery.

9. 11-18-2009 12:57 PM #9
      what's wrong with the Ryobi kit?

$129.00 from Home Depot

I install grage doors for a living and am pretty darn rough on my cordless tools. I've dropped my impact and my drill off a 6 foot ladder on several occasions and have never had the plastic crack. I've heard guys talk about that with other brands..

I've been using Ryobi for 4+ years and am very happy with them. It makes it even better that even if something breaks I can run into home depot and buy a replacement for about $60.00 that comes with a new battery. I know a new Dewalt drill is about $200.00 and it does the same drilling as my $60.00 Ryobi drill.

10. 11-18-2009 01:17 PM #10
      Craftsman C3 series, the batteries are interchangeable. Use the NiCad batteries till they are shot then by lithiom battery kit. Right now at Sears with a Craftmans Card you can get 5 tools for $80.00.

Here is what $500 gets you. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_1...an+c3

Vehicles
      '14 WRX, '11 MCS, '03 K1500HD, '83 GS450
      11-18-2009 01:50 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Ghost of VW TANK »

cosigned

makita and milwaukee are my two favorites

x2.

The milwaukee cordless drill and impact are solid as a rock. I've only used the Makita set occasionally but they felt a lot more solid than my Skil tools, that's for sure.

I have the Ryobi set at work -- it's basically trash.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      where have i backpedaled?

Vehicles
      85 diesel jetta, 90 cabby 16v, 2004 jetta wagon
      11-18-2009 02:09 PM #12
      I have that same makita drill and I love it. The lithium ion battery is awesome. You can charge it and let it sit for 3 months and pick it up and use it. They also have no memory. You will not be disapointed with the lithium ion. I will never buy anything else now.
      ‘Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.’

Vehicles
      C63
      11-18-2009 02:38 PM #13
      So I guess I'm going to lean towards the Makita. It is a Lithium based system, and funny thing is, Home Depot has the best price even against online prices. The Dewalt is all over the internet, and are a plentiful on eBay...

Has anyone used the saws in a real world setting? I could see it being useful for the occsional cut here or there, but do they do their jobs? Worth getting the big kits with saws? Or are they going to just sit in the tool bag and collect dust?

11-18-2009 03:08 PM #14
      Makita all the way

15. 11-18-2009 03:09 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by monkypops »

$129.00 from Home Depot

I install grage doors for a living and am pretty darn rough on my cordless tools. I've dropped my impact and my drill off a 6 foot ladder on several occasions and have never had the plastic crack. I've heard guys talk about that with other brands..

I've been using Ryobi for 4+ years and am very happy with them. It makes it even better that even if something breaks I can run into home depot and buy a replacement for about $60.00 that comes with a new battery. I know a new Dewalt drill is about $200.00 and it does the same drilling as my $60.00 Ryobi drill.

I second Ryobi. I've had our combo set for a few years but just bought a house and have been putting it to the test. The drill I've used putting up new ceiling fans, wall outlets, kitchen cabinets, kitchen counter tops, and various other projects that its handled without a hitch. The light is nice too with the swiveling head to use in hard to reach places.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      01 golf gls 1.8T
      11-18-2009 03:24 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by monkypops »

$129.00 from Home Depot

i know 2 people who told me the batteries literally melted w/ryobi. home depot is real good about returns, but you get what you pay for.

my take is that the kits may look like a bargain at first, but battery powered circular & sawzalls are WEAK. those two saws should be cord powered. i'm still kicking myseld for getting a milwaukee sawzall & battery pack years ago. firstly, it seems like the battery runs out on me in the middle of every other job. second, those battery packs suck, they last about a year or two & then either the battery fails or the charger fails - both expensive to replace. do yourself a favor & instead of buying a kit, get individual tools powered adequately for your now & future needs & think corded for saws.

Vehicles
      Hondas, regular and extra-pricey
      11-18-2009 03:40 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by URSledgehammer »
      Right now at Sears with a Craftmans Card you can get 5 tools for $80.00.

Tell me more about this please. I already have started on the C3 system. Got a link??

Vehicles
      11-18-2009 03:42 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by petesell »
      do yourself a favor & instead of buying a kit, get individual tools powered adequately for your now & future needs & think corded for saws.

Honestly, if you're buying into a system, it's cheap enough to buy both corded and cordless. The cordless add-ons are like $75 without batteries. At that price, why not? Have a cordless for the easy jobs, and a corded backup for more intense stuff.

Vehicles
      C63
      11-18-2009 03:47 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by petesell »

i know 2 people who told me the batteries literally melted w/ryobi. home depot is real good about returns, but you get what you pay for.

my take is that the kits may look like a bargain at first, but battery powered circular & sawzalls are WEAK. those two saws should be cord powered. i'm still kicking myseld for getting a milwaukee sawzall & battery pack years ago. firstly, it seems like the battery runs out on me in the middle of every other job. second, those battery packs suck, they last about a year or two & then either the battery fails or the charger fails - both expensive to replace. do yourself a favor & instead of buying a kit, get individual tools powered adequately for your now & future needs & think corded for saws.

I'm done with black and decker, ryobi, etc as I've literally used them as disposable, and the last thing I want to do again is change drills when the bit is buried.

I'm leaning towards going for the corded versions of the saws and getting a drill/driver kit. I know i want a cordless impact and drill, so it'll either be the dewalt or makita for those. Will have to see what the deals are on those.

I figure a 30 dollar corded ryobi will be better than the cordless circular saw included, along with a quality 100 dollar sawzall. Right now they're giving away a free hypoid saw with purchase of a compound miter...

Buying all these tools again is fun... but expensve!

20. 11-18-2009 06:13 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by joness0154 »

I second Ryobi. I've had our combo set for a few years but just bought a house and have been putting it to the test. The drill I've used putting up new ceiling fans, wall outlets, kitchen cabinets, kitchen counter tops, and various other projects that its handled without a hitch. The light is nice too with the swiveling head to use in hard to reach places.

I too will recommend Ryobi, but only for a medium to light user/weekend warrior. With that said, I've had my Ryobit 4 pc. kit for 3 years now, and it's been perfect. When I first bought the kit, I was using the drill and sander everyday at my furniture repair job. We're talking drilling through many different kinds of wood, everyday, and the drill would still have plenty of juice at the end of my shift. The mini sander was good too, but nowhere near as good as the corded Dewalt Orbital sander at my old job.

FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

21. 11-18-2009 07:20 PM #21
      I use nothing but Ridgid cordless tools and I couldn't be more than happy with them at work. My partner has all Dewalt stuff at work and my tools own his. Much better torque and battery life.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Passat Variant, 86 Scirocco 16v, 73 BMW 2002
      11-18-2009 10:00 PM #22
      I've used Dewalt cordless drills and impact drivers for work for years (one drill lasted close to 11 years). Yes I have had to replace batteries 1 or two a year but the tools get used every day by several people. That being said if I didn't have a large base of tools that used the same batteries I'd look into the rigid tools, they have a sturdy feel. As far as saws buy a good corded circular saw ,don't go cheap here a cheap saw will tend to become dangerous as it wears out quickly. For a sawsall buy a Milwaukee corded and pass it on to the grandkids, so they can do the same.

Vehicles
      11-18-2009 10:57 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by URSledgehammer »
      Craftsman C3 series, the batteries are interchangeable. Use the NiCad batteries till they are shot then by lithiom battery kit. Right now at Sears with a Craftmans Card you can get 5 tools for $80.00.

Here is what $500 gets you. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_1...an+c3

Went to sears tonight looking for this, no dice. More info please????

24. 11-18-2009 11:43 PM #24
      if you decide to not go with a kit you should buy a ryobi impact drill. I have one and I love it and so does everyone I know who has one. They are also considerably cheaper than other brands. I got my impact 2 batteries (not lithium although my drill can use lithium) and a charger for only $60 at home depot.

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      11-19-2009 07:26 AM #25
      I bought the Dewalt kit 3 years ago and have had no problems. But I kick myself all the time for buying cordless saws. They do not work. The circ saw is good for cutting maybe 10 2x12s, and the sawzall is up for about 15 minutes of demo work.

Buy a good cordless drill and impact set. Then but whatever saws, grinders etc you need with a cord. Then it gives you the excuse to buy a small $150 generator if you need to use your tools in a remote location.

Also, the flashlights and shop vacs they give you in these kits are jokes. I simply threw my Dewalt light in the garbage. A flashlight bigger than my desktop computer should be brighter than a mag light.

11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

26. 11-19-2009 07:38 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by Chris Stack »

Went to sears tonight looking for this, no dice. More info please????

i wouldnt pay $50 for that, let alone $500. craftsman tools with moving parts blow. i got one of their drills a a present a few years back, and it sucks. not to mention the battery was shot inside of a year.

Vehicles
      vaudi
      11-19-2009 07:51 AM #27
      My wife surprised me with this Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Drill last Christmas (at my brothers recommendation) I would recommend this to anyone. Fit for a construction job site or hanging pictures in your bathroom....KICKS A@#..!!..Came with carry case (2) batteries and charger. The batteries carry a very good charge not to mention Makita has a great 15 min. rapid charge system....built in LED....and the 450 In lb of torque owns all.

28. 11-19-2009 08:24 AM #28

i wouldnt pay $50 for that, let alone $500. craftsman tools with moving parts blow. i got one of their drills a a present a few years back, and it sucks. not to mention the battery was shot inside of a year.

A niCad battery has a life span, it may be a few hundred charges, and the way you charge it also matters. You can easily buy a lithium battery when you get your year of use out of the original kit. That to me is why its worth it.
      I will agree if you have the dough to lay out go big time, go Bostich or Porter Cable, or Milwaulkee or one of the others.

29. 11-19-2009 08:29 AM #29
      While Ryobi may not be the most durable drills out there, they are perfectly fine for the average homeowner.

Vehicles
      11-19-2009 11:25 AM #30

I actually am more interested in the 5 tools for $80 deal.

11-19-2009 11:33 AM #31
      makita

Rigid sucks, i have one and i hate that drill.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      1 clunker & 2 nicer clunkers
      11-19-2009 04:52 PM #32
      I got a Li Makita set a few months back. The Dewalt stuff served me for years withouit a glitch, although I rebuilt a reciprocating saw many times. My original 14.4 drill is over 15 years old, and I still have it, along with a multitude of other 14.4 stuff. Most of the batteries are bad, but the tools are fine.

If you go with Makita, make sure you're comparing apples to apples. The drill that HD sells is 2 speed, as opposed to my 3 speed. Most tool trucks also sell the 2 speed. The 3 speed drill/driver retails for about $100 more than the 2 speed.

At the time, there were 2 versions of the impact driver (that I use all of the time), that I found in different kits. The batteries need to be identical, too. There are high and low capacity batteries, and 2 different chargers, also.

That being said, I spent hours researching the differences between kits and what they offered. I think I bought LXT-400 for about $400. I recently saw that kit at Costco for $250, as it's now been replaced.

FYI, I think the white/black Makita was designed for the homeowner, and the blue/black stuff was trade quality. I'm sure the homeowner stuff is fine for most people, here.

You may want to go to Makita's site. They're always running promos.

-Todd

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      11-19-2009 07:33 PM #33
      I have Rigid cordless tools.
      They all have worked 100% everytime I needed them over the past 3 years or so.

Nothing feels like its about to crap out or need work.

My only problem is that I cannot find the Rigid cordless Jigsaw for sale at a decent price. Shoulda bought the damned thing when I saw it at Costco online for $77...

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      stock TSI & stage 2 FSI
      11-19-2009 11:04 PM #34
      i have been using makita cordless tools for over 7 years...last christmas i received a new 18v combo kit to replace my old and worn out set w/ nica batteries...

the 'white' kits are supposed to be a lightweight set, the all green kits are pretty much the same as the 'white' counterparts, but the batteries last longer...the impact is a must have to you plan on doing any projects that require using a screwgun into 2x4's and the like...watch out b/c you can very easily break the heads off of standard drywall screws (i used to do this w/ my old 12v impact!)

i just bought the cordless grinder for various quick cuts on metal (mostly at the junkyard)...the smaller (1.5 ah) batteries do not work w/ it...i bought two 3 ah batteries off of ebay for $120 shipped, charges perfectly fine w/ the supplied charger from the 'white' combo kit...

all in all, i am very impressed w/ makita cordless tools...

35. 11-20-2009 03:37 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by andrew m. »
      makita, hands down.

i agree. i use my makita 18v impact every day and its a powerhouse. its also very comfortable in my hand where the dewalt and ridgid feel like bricks. you wont be disappointed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast