Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: symptoms of bad timing belt

1. 11-18-2009 06:45 PM #1
      I have a 2002 VW GTI 1.8T with 96,000 miles on it. Many people have told me that i should replace my timing belt. I have noticed that my car will jerk or stutter every so often when i step on the gas. Is this a symptom of a bad timing belt? If i would replace it how much would it cost me?

Thanks

Vehicles
      2002 1.8T GTI
      11-18-2009 08:36 PM #2
      I don't know if your problems are being caused by the Timing Belt, but I would get it replaced ASAP anyway.
      OTC

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      11-19-2009 12:22 AM #3
      The only real symptom of a bad timing belt is an engine that doesn't run anymore. You need to get that thing changed with that kind of mileage.
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

4. 11-19-2009 03:12 AM #4
      You're right at the mileage where my tensioner cracked off the stud, wedged between the block and the cam gear, and totalled most of my valves.

Replace the belt, tensioner, and roller. Or be sorry you didn't.

Vehicles
      '06 GTI
      11-19-2009 03:46 AM #5
      the timing belt has no symptoms, they just go when they are ready. get that done asap with that mileage. as for the jerking that could be a coil or spark plug, maybe the MAF sensor? the timing belt job can cost anywhere from $500 to $1k depending on where you take it. if you know what your doing or got a friend that knows what they are doin' you can get all the parts for about $200. make sure you get a metal impeller water pump

6. 11-19-2009 09:51 AM #6
      a symptom of a broken timing belt.. is it's broke.

I was lucky to change mine at 100k, but it was very glazed, very hard. Pop the cover off and take gander, if it's shinier than your tires, or is dryrotting.. change it immediantly, if not.. change it immediantly. Nothing sucks more than your car not working and it's all your fault of not doing maintence on time.

The belts and tensioner system on this car suck, horrible design, VW made some bad decisions on maintence intervals.. t-belt @ 105k, manual trans fluid is a "lifetime" fluid(LOL).

Parts alone for a tbelt is about 200-250, labor is expensive depending where you go or free if you do it yourself.

It's not difficult to do, just make sure everything is timed right with the new belt. There is a HOW-TO thread somewhere that has a good bit of info