Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Trouble

1. 11-18-2009 07:15 PM #1
      2001 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t o1m

Okay, no problems with the car, it just threw a CEL the other day and checked it out it was a P0340. I had it cleared, ran another two days and only then it came back. The car has no problems, no starting problems, no idling problems, no loss in power, or fuel mileage. The check engine light is just on all the time now. I took apart the Camshaft Position sensor, cleaned it off (it wasn't dirty) inspected all the wiring, then had the codes cleared again but it just came back.

I dont know what to do, i was told to check the voltage/ohms but i dont know what it should be. I also do not have ready access to VAG-COM.

I was also told to check the crankshaft positition sensor, but i dont know where it is, and again what i should be checking for. I would just buy both sensors and change them and not mess with it, but its too expensive. Any ideas?

2. 11-19-2009 08:59 AM #2
      Your cam timing timing is off and the sensor is fine. They are very simple sensors...it's just a magnet...and magnets don't go bad. Check the timing.
      Quote Originally Posted by antsrcool View Post
      So my 2001 Wolfsburg caught fire last night
      2001 Wolfsburg w/K03s Drive fast and weave alot. NUKE THE WHALES!
      K&N drop-in | NS Boost-o-meter & pod | Homemade adjustable MAP clamp | MBC@19 psi | SMIC vent mod | Energy Suspension 70A inserts | R32/TT LCA Bushings

3. 11-19-2009 09:35 AM #3
      I have done some searching and that seems to be a common theme, however i had my timing belt changed but that was 7000 miles ago, how could it just get off time? The Timing Belt Tensioner be going bad?

4. 11-19-2009 12:42 PM #4
      sounds like it.....also there is a tensioner at the back of the head for the cams..that could throw your timing off if its too loose.