Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is "OEM"?

Vehicles
      2001 Golf 4Door 1.8T, 2010 Jetta SE 2.5L
      12-09-2009 10:26 PM #1
      Hope you all are well in this wintery weather and economy.

A bit new to this and might be naive, but I thought it meant the part was VW/Audi stamped made mostly in Germany, or a bit in Mexico or Belgium?

So does OEM stand for: 'VARIOUS' Original Equipment Manufacturer(s), or 'AUTHENTIC' Original Equipment Manufacturer?

I know that various companies such as Bosch produce quite a few of the parts for our cars and then VW has them stamp it with their symbol. But I also took that stamp to mean it is up to VW's quality and fit standards. (I've had very few VW parts fail prematurely or be defective, well except the ignition coils and MAFs, and even most of those have recalls or warranty extensions)

There are deals on the web and I know you get what you pay for, but I've noticed even from reputable enthusiasts sites that they'll list it as OEM (for a great price) and what I'll get is another "brand" that "references" the VW part number.

Just want to say first: I LOVE TDIPARTS and MJM AUTOHAUS!

For example:
      MJM - Listed OEM VDO Fuel Pump $180 works fine but has no markings on it at all while the Auto Zone $325 fuel pump clearly states Made in Germany VDO. Is the MJM one a VDO but the name scratched off to avoid a possible direct manufacturers warranty?

TDIPARTS - Actually, never listed as OEM so much as just "stock dogbone mount" for $29 (way less than half of dealership price). Installed in minutes, perfect fit and feels good. Just curious how long it will last.

MJM - 21mm Front Sway Bar Bushings listed as OEM, stamped says FEBI. $10 w/free shipping. Dealership listed as $25 for both.

MJM - Rear Axle Bushings listed as OEM, product arrived packaged as Meyle. 1STVWPARTS listed as only $10 more should be VW/Audi original part.

Just a side thought: Should I buy from ECS and 1STVWPARTS only in the future? I like ECS because they actually list whether or not it is a TRUE VW/Audi stamped part and 1STVWPARTS is actually the Auburn, WA VW/Audi dealerships online dept that can only ships authentic VW parts.

I know, if it cost 50% less and works just fine, don't go rocking the boat, but I do have to be able to look my customers in the eyes and tell them it is quality OEM part too.

This isn't a rant thread, just curious about your thoughts/experiences. Thank you in advance for assistance and apologies for the long diatribe.

2. 12-09-2009 11:09 PM #2
      I run a "salvage yard" where i sell new and used auto parts everyday. My new aftermarket parts are "OEM" bc they are the same as OEM, such as the fit, style, and 97% the quality as dealer products. Most of the time when you see OEM on a website such as tmtuning and ecstuning..etc., means that the parts fit as OEM but would be considered an OEM replacement part. The real OEM would come from the dealer now where else. I noticed you said something ab Bosch products, which you will find Bosch products on just ab any car from foriegn to domestic. Honestly theres not really a difference in non-dealer purchased items, and I can back this up bc my dad's business has been open scence 1986 and has never had any problems with our new parts. So it's just at your discretion.

Vehicles
      1970 Karmann Ghia, Mk2 Diesel Beast
      12-09-2009 11:13 PM #3
      original equipment manufacturer
      Pelican club VIP

Vehicles
      AP1
      12-09-2009 11:14 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by phill0046 »

Quote, originally posted by Oly_Golf »

So does OEM stand for: 'VARIOUS' Original Equipment Manufacturer(s), or 'AUTHENTIC' Original Equipment Manufacturer?

i think the original post established that
      I'm not a star. Somebody lied.

5. 12-09-2009 11:24 PM #5
      OEM means its **** the dealership will rape you for
      Floss Filthy

Quote Originally Posted by justrave View Post
      i wish calvin and jason would move so i could officially say that texas sucks.

Vehicles
      02 GTI 24v VR6
      12-09-2009 11:25 PM #6
      OEM doesn't have to come from VW just the company that makes the part for VW, hence Original Equipment Manufacturer
      FOR THE LOVE OF THE VW GODS USE THE SEARCH AND CHECK THE FAQ/DIY STICKY

Originally Posted by dubnakd "i<3 the tex its like she got a facelift but shes still that crazy ex girlfriend from college"
      Originally Posted by BigBlockBug "Nope, you are just a white Tranny...."

Vehicles
      '04.5 GLI
      12-09-2009 11:40 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by VeeeeeDub »
      I run a "salvage yard" where i sell new and used auto parts everyday. My new aftermarket parts are "OEM" bc they are the same as OEM, such as the fit, style, and 97% the quality as dealer products. Most of the time when you see OEM on a website such as tmtuning and ecstuning..etc., means that the parts fit as OEM but would be considered an OEM replacement part. The real OEM would come from the dealer now where else. I noticed you said something ab Bosch products, which you will find Bosch products on just ab any car from foriegn to domestic. Honestly theres not really a difference in non-dealer purchased items, and I can back this up bc my dad's business has been open scence 1986 and has never had any problems with our new parts. So it's just at your discretion.

This post is full of wrong info.... I'm def. not going to your salvage yard.
      Just because something fits as intended by VW does not mean it is OEM. Just because soemthing comes from the dealer does not mean it is of higher quality than an OEM part sold on a website.

This is how OEM works...
      As stated above it stands of Original Equipment Manufacturer
      This means that VW does not make all their own parts, infact lots of companies make parts for them. As you mentioned the parts that go to vw are stamped with the logo. You can find these parts through your dealership.
      For instance Bosch makes many parts for the VW, so does Hella when it comes to lighting.
      You have Hella taillights on your car. Any replacement taillight for you car that is made by Hella is considered OEM, as Hella is the "Original Equipment Maufacturer" of said part. Now I have Hella smoked tailights on my jetta, they are OEM but not Stock Original Equipment. That right there is your difference. To have OEM taillights they need to be made by Hella. Everything else is just aftermarket. My smoked Hella taillights however are also aftermarket because they were not sold with the car in any trim level. So here's the rundown for you.

If the part is OEM it is made by the same company that made the stock part. Whether it has a vw part number and stamp or not if it is made by that company it is OEM.
      Stock came on the car or some trim level of the car.
      Aftermarket means it was not offered from vw with that part.
      Both Stock and Aftermarket parts can be labeled OEM. Stock implies OEM but Aftermarket does not. OEM just implies it was made by the same company that made the stock part.

Hope this helps.

Modified by ninjapants at 8:41 PM 12-9-2009

Floss Filthy x Team Big Shark x Dirty $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Bork
      you're such an og nooob <3
      Buy My Winter Setup! | Master Project Thread: The Life of a GLI | Need polishing? PM me for info.

Vehicles
      12-10-2009 01:04 PM #8
      Dirty, thanks for the quick info and also Ninja for explaining the stock/aftermarket vs OEM scenario. Damn good post and stuff like that should be put in the FAQs for newbs like me....

VeeeeDub: Sounds like you run a nice place and 97% quality for half the price is ok for nearly most applications but think with water pumps, timing belts and critical suspension parts I do want 100%, but then I guess I also want a better than dealership price... so yeah, can't have both all the time.

Though, curious, do you mean you sell items as OEM, that are not an original source manufacturer for VW/Audi? Not accusing at all, and what you said was really helpful.

It sounds like there are different interpretations of what OEM is and I'm thinking even reputable web sellers mark OEM, when they are actually not sourced original manufacturer parts? (meaning, they were not licensed, and didn't receive the specs for their parts from VW)

Modified by Oly_Golf at 6:57 PM 12-10-2009

9. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      12-10-2009 01:55 PM #9
      There can be quite a bit of confusion in the industry on what "OEM" actually is, but we do the following.

OEM parts on our website come directly from VW (stateside or other), they have the OEM VW part number and logo stamped into the part. We also call these "Genuine VW/ Audi Parts".

OE parts can come from a variety of different manufactures, another term is OES (Original Equipment Supplier). Some OE or OES parts may very well be the same exact part you would get buying OEM (without the VW / Audi logo) and others are not.

A simple example, Mk4 1.8T Air Filters:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volks...reply

Versions are available from Meyle, Mann, Mahle and OEM. Mann and Mahle are all OES suppliers to VW, this means that they all provide parts directly to VW, but that doesn't necessarily mean they all supply this part specifically to VW. In the example of the air filter above, the OEM filter directly from VW is more than likely a Mann filter. What is the difference between buying the OEM vs. the Mann? Price. In general, OEM parts are going to be more expensive, however that is not always the case.

Timing belt kits are another great example:

We offer both Genuine OEM Timing Belt Kits and OE Timing Belt Kits, there is a very dramatic price difference between the two, however we do have customers that prefer to use only OEM components, thus we offer a few different options.

On our website, unless the part is purchased directly from VW, we do not consider it an OEM part and it will be noted appropriately. We also do not substitute parts for OEM without asking. If an OEM part is not available, but an OE equivalent is available, we will contact the to customer to see if they would like to wait, or use the OE equivalent.

Last edited by ECS Tuning; 01-18-2011 at 08:32 AM.

http://www.ecstuning.com
      :: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

10. 12-10-2009 04:54 PM #10
      by the way im not wrong. there are different variations of OEM so maybe you should check yourself before you say dumb ****.

12-10-2009 05:34 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by VeeeeeDub »
      by the way im not wrong. there are different variations of OEM so maybe you should check yourself before you say dumb ****.

stop.

oem stands for original equipment manufactured (manufacturer, or whatever you want to use) and the meaning behind the word oem is that the parts were made for and commissioned by vw & audi or any other automaker. legit oem parts have part numbers, the famous brand logos, and etc..............you could call some aftermarket parts oem if the third party company who made the parts for the said car company legally sold parts made with the original molds and material that the parts were made out of or sold the molds to someone else hwo would do the same. OEM could be considered a brand name as it usually is the highest quality of craftsmanship of the lowest bidder, ensures individual parts longevity reliability, and pretty much sets the standard for a decent part.

it's surprising how many people don't even know what OEM is

OEM MEANS ONE THING

Modified by autobahmer at 4:42 PM 12-10-2009

Vehicles
      12-10-2009 10:50 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by jon@ecstuning.com »
      There can be quite a bit of confusion in the industry on what "OEM" actually is, but we do the following.

OEM parts on our website come directly from VW (stateside or other), they have the OEM VW part number and logo stamped into the part. We also call these "Genuine VW/ Audi Parts".

OE parts can come from a variety of different manufactures, another term is OES (Original Equipment Supplier). Some OE or OES parts may very well be the same exact part you would get buying OEM (without the VW / Audi logo) and others are not.

A simple example, Mk4 1.8T Air Filters:

Versions are available from Meyle, Mann, Mahle and OEM. Meyle, Mann and Mahle are all OES suppliers to VW, this means that they all provide parts directly to VW, but that doesn't necessarily mean they all supply this part specifically to VW. In the example of the air filter above, the OEM filter directly from VW is more than likely a Mann filter. What is the difference between buying the OEM vs. the Mann? Price. In general, OEM parts are going to be more expensive, however that is not always the case.

Timing belt kits are another great example:

We offer both Genuine OEM Timing Belt Kits and OE Timing Belt Kits, there is a very dramatic price difference between the two, however we do have customers that prefer to use only OEM components, thus we offer a few different options.

On our website, unless the part is purchased directly from VW, we do not consider it an OEM part and it will be noted appropriately. We also do not substitute parts for OEM without asking. If an OEM part is not available, but an OE equivalent is available, we will contact the to customer to see if they would like to wait, or use the OE equivalent.

Modified by jon@ecstuning.com at 1:58 PM 12-10-2009

Wow! Thanks Jon! ESCTUNING just made a customer for life! Thank you for your post. The one item I have bought thus far from ESC was the MK4 Weather Protection Package - Stage 1.
      http://www.ecstuning.com/Volks...57589/

Really did not expect all 3 pieces would be OEM Stock VW parts. Even every bolt was individually packaged factory fresh from VW. Dang, flippin cool!

Again, Ninja, want to thank you for your wisdom. Also, autobahmer thanks for the rebuttal. VeeeeeDub, I think you are starting to scare me a bit, now from what they both said.

Truly, a moderator should add this to the FAQs, for all of Vortex!

Not so worried now, think I'll go take a nap.

13. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      12-11-2009 04:47 PM #13
      Wow! Thanks Jon! ESCTUNING just made a customer for life! Thank you for your post.

Sure thing, more than happy to help out!

OEM can mean a variety of different things to different people, but we feel OEM means that it comes directly from VW.

We have millions of parts on our website and each will be noted with supplier and manufacture information when possible. There are many cases when the exact same OEM part can be had through an OE / OES manufacture and it is slightly less expensive. As always, I am more than happy to answer any questions, so don't hesitate to shoot over a PM or email.

:: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00PM EST Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST :: Email: sales@ecstuning.com & customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat :: Instagram

14. 12-13-2009 01:18 AM #14

oem means from the "car company"... for those that dont understand Original Equipment Manufacturer, the car company doesnt always make its own parts. so they have other companies make them for them. to the car companies specs. they can however sell the same parts with their own logo on them but they are called OE,

hella lights are not on every vw or audi. and the hella tinted/smoked taillights are not OEM or OE , they are made for your particular car by HELLA , thats it.. because they do not light up the same way. and are no where NEAR vw specs. they are AFTERMARKET. its simple as that . theres nothing wrong with it. i have lots of aftermarket stuff on my car. but you cant call something its not.

ecs tuning have it right, and are a great company to deal with. and most car people and car shops ive dealt with in my life think the same way. OEM is what is only sold at a dealership. yes, because they are basically the "car company" and cant sell OE or aftermarket. but you can get OEM stuff at other car parts shops and other ways and better prices than a dealership is going to charge you.

just because its made for your car, doesnt mean its OEM

your not going into your bmw, vw or audi dealership and getting aftermarket or OE oil and air filters put in.. .

but i DO NOT agree with VeeeeeDub . there is a difference in everything. i dont agree with how you run a business . you are the type of crook that steals from people that dont know anything about the car they are driving and tells them its OEM to screw with there heads when really its not stamped with approved VW, or BMW logo so you can charge more.. dont tell people its somthing when its not. and yes there is a difference just look on ecs tuning website. look at the price differences between OEM vw/audi stuff apose to the mahl and mann stuff. and im not even in the business and i know this . you have been in business since 1986.. you should know this.

97% is not a 100. you should check yourself before u make stupid posts.
      FAIL

Vehicles
      12-16-2009 12:34 AM #15
      I have a car that I love getting close to a decade.

I want OEM VW STOCK. Now I know what to look for.

I really appreciate you folks taking the time out to advise and respond.

Best wishes this holiday season.

Cheers,
      Scott

Modified by Oly_Golf at 10:16 PM 12-15-2009

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI, 2011 Xterra Pro-4X
      12-16-2009 01:42 AM #16
      I have always followed the ECS definition of OEM as well.

Now in regards to parts, the OE substitutes are almost always equally as good as the OEM parts, only without the VW part number and without the extra cost. Why pay more for the same thing?

Perfect example: ECS sells the Hella R/S/R/S tail lights for $102 and the OEM GLI R/S/R/S tail lights for $173. They're both identical parts most likely made on the same assembly line, but the Hella lights don't have an OEM VW part number on them. Is the part number worth $71?

I'm doing work. (Build Thread) | VCDS Scans / Tweaks in the Waukesha / Milwaukee area for $5 or a 12-pk of Mountain Dew | MK4 Remote Window Control for $20

Vehicles
      12-16-2009 05:10 PM #17
      I agree with you on the lights, as long as you buy Hella or Valeo, it's the same quality as VW Stock.

Though, for timing belts, water pumps and suspension, I personally would only buy OEM (doesn't need to be stock VW though), not OE, even if it were 50% less.

Also I hate it when poly bushings are pushed as "stock replacement" and daily drivers install them only to find they squeak or rattle worse than before. Because they weren't meant as stock replacement, but as aftermarket performance replacement. If poly was so "amazing" for stock setups, VW would use them.

Lastly, while this is a rare example of OEM versus STOCK OEM VW/AUDI parts, I just think it might make you pause next time you buy a part.

Rear Axle Bushings: OEM Meyle $45 has only 25% rubber. Udated STOCK VW PART $65 has 75% rubber. Which would you buy?

Here's the info towards the bottom:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=5

Vehicles
      2005 GTI X2
      12-16-2009 05:52 PM #18
      You can get OEM VW parts from a VW dealer out your way (Oregon) for substantially cheaper prices than almost any other VW dealer:

http://1stvwparts.com

Also, since finding the correct VW PN is sometimes difficult unless you're holding it in your hand, I recommend using

https://www.partslink24.com/partslink24/startup.do

It's free and gives you ALL the parts diagrams for ALL VWs. You have to record a credit number when you sign up, but they don't actually charge anything against it.

BTW, I just did my timing belt, tensioner, idler, coolant, engine mount bolts with VW OEM parts and total cost was less than $300.

Modified by dococ at 5:54 PM 12-16-2009

Vehicles
      12-16-2009 07:35 PM #19
      Acutally, that's where I got the Superseded Parts for the Rear Axle Bushings from 1stvwparts. They are actually in Auburn, WA, not Oregon though.

Thanks for the 24 link. Looks promising.

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and 2007 A3 3.2 S-line
      12-16-2009 07:57 PM #20
      By going with some of these horrible definitions of "OEM", one might be able to call Dubtecnic's stuff OEM, since they took factory parts, made molds with them, and reproduced parts.

Def not OEM as documented on here plenty of times

OEM=Stuff made and guaranteed by the manufacturer to fit and function as the O(em)riginal part.

A lot of people here are confusing OEM and OEM equivalent.

OEM equivalent is like the euro bumpers perf-cafe sells. They're not OEM, but close.

Oh well, people are going to think what they want to think.

Vehicles
      2005 GTI X2
      12-16-2009 08:51 PM #21
      I knew they were in Auburn - thought it was Oregon - thanks

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI, 2011 Xterra Pro-4X
      12-16-2009 09:12 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by 87vr6 »
      By going with some of these horrible definitions of "OEM", one might be able to call Dubtecnic's stuff OEM, since they took factory parts, made molds with them, and reproduced parts.

Def not OEM as documented on here plenty of times

OEM=Stuff made and guaranteed by the manufacturer to fit and function as the O(em)riginal part.

A lot of people here are confusing OEM and OEM equivalent.

OEM equivalent is like the euro bumpers perf-cafe sells. They're not OEM, but close.

Oh well, people are going to think what they want to think.

There's a huge difference between Dubtecnic which is a cheap replica of the Votex, and some of the other suppliers that actually product parts for Volkswagen, but also sell almost identical equivalents without the part number, such as Hella, Mann, Mahle, Bosch, Sachs, Meyle, Ate, etc.

I wouldn't call any of those parts made by OEM suppliers OEM, but they're all OE equivalents unlike the replicas.

EDIT: I really like how ECS distinguishes OEM and OE Equivalent on their site unlike some other sites that are a crapshoot.

Modified by JettaGetUpandGo at 8:15 PM 12-16-2009

I'm doing work. (Build Thread) | VCDS Scans / Tweaks in the Waukesha / Milwaukee area for $5 or a 12-pk of Mountain Dew | MK4 Remote Window Control for $20

23. 12-16-2009 09:28 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by phill0046 »

that

24. 12-16-2009 10:09 PM #24
      wow, it really is shocking what people consider OEM . mahl and mann and meyle , are not OEM ... they are equivalent. they could be a supplier, but they are not OEM . .plain and simple oem is stamped VW OR BMW, if the part goes wrong you go back to VW or BMW , if its made by hella or mahl. you contact hella or mahl . if your oem headlights that are made my hella , and something goes wrong . you contact VW, not HELLA.

im not saying buying hella or mahl or mann stuff is bad , infact its what i buy.. its cheaper and works just as good... just dont confuse to two.

Vehicles
      12-16-2009 10:36 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by dococ »
      I knew they were in Auburn - thought it was Oregon - thanks

No problemo, I always get NY mixed up with NJ too.

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Mul...9.mp3
      Fry: "Well, I give up. What's the catch?"
      Man: "Oh, no catch. Although we are technically in New Jersey."

Vehicles
      12-16-2009 10:47 PM #26
      and so the debate lingers on...

I understand STOCK VAG PARTS, and I understand Aftermarket parts. I kind of even understand OE parts. But "OEM Equivalent"? Come on that's just bull****. To me, that's akin to saying "Real Fruit Juice" and then in little letters it states "10% actual fruit juice". That's baloney.

Now, back to OEM. Especially one from Mayle that has a sticker stating "Reference VW 1J0 501 541 C"? Mayle IS an OEM supplier, but dang if I going with this particular piece compared to the updated VW stock part... Just more food for thought.

Old Rear Axle Bushing part #:
      1J0 501 541C ( & possibly 1J0 501 541D)

Updated/superseded VW/AUDI STOCK #:
      6R0 501 541A

So I got 6R0 501 541 A bushings, and glad I waited and ordered them!

They are quite a bit different from the older Meyle OEM 1J0 501 541 C.

First off the material seems better and the edge is beveled (where my thumb is) so that alone should help in pushing them in.

Though, the real reason I will be using them is that they use ALOT more rubber inside, and are nearly solid. The Meyle OEM have BARELY any rubber in them!

It's hard to tell in the photos as I'll be returning the Meyle OEMs and thus can't take them out of the wrapper, but you can see that where the NEW VW OEM part has 2 small holes that those are almost the size of the amount of rubber IN the Meyle OEMs! Another way to say it, the Meyles have about 25% rubber, and the NEW VW parts has 75% rubber!!!!!

This reminds me of the difference between the STOCK Lower Control Arm Rear Bushings and the TT/R32 bushings.

Sorry for the crappy photos, but it should illustrate the point:

Meyle OEM 1J0 501 541 C:

NEW VW 6R0 501 541 A:

Modified by Oly_Golf at 7:55 PM 12-16-2009

27. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      VAG Toys
      01-17-2011 11:36 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by jon@ecstuning.com View Post
      Meyle, Mann and Mahle are all OES suppliers to VW, this means that they all provide parts directly to VW, but that doesn't necessarily mean they all supply this part specifically to VW.
      That is 100% false. Meyle has never, ever supplied parts to VAG; ever. Meyle, while a quality supplier of parts and ones we use on our very own in-house project cars here at MJM, is 100% "aftermarket" and nothing is "Original Equipment" about them. In fact, most of their products are not even made in Germany. Mann and Mahle, however, are indeed very big OEM suppliers to Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Volvo and more. I did not read this entire thread (Jon's comment about Meyle jumped out at me, thus my post), so if I repeat something below that has already been posted, I apologize, as I did not read it all. The following is the holy grail on what "OEM" means; period.

The terms "OEM", "OE" or "OES" are pretty much synonyms, but used by different places by different people for different reasons. "Original Equipment Manufacturer", "Original Equipment" or "Original Equipment Supplier" - not a lot of difference. I suppose semantics could be argued in that "OEM" means that said manufacturer manufactured *that particular product* for Volkswagen, whereas "OES" can mean that a particular manufacturer, while an "OEM" for certain parts, isn't an "OEM" for that particular part, but has been an "OEM" in the past, hence the term "OES" used for the part in question (which I'll explain below).

There are many companies in this world (i.e. Bosch, Beru, Mann, Mahle, NGK, Ruville, etc) that have been contracted, either in the past or still are currently, to manufacture parts for all different auto manufacturers - be it Audi, BMW, GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan or Volkswagen, etc. If a part manufacturer has ever been contracted by an auto maker at any time in winning a bid to produce a part, then they are considered an "OEM", so to speak. Now, however, where this can be a bit misleading and deceptive, and where a lot of the confusion comes in, is when for example, a website or auto parts store like ourselves will advertise "Bosch OEM" ignition wires for the OBDII VR6 cars (who came from the factory with Beru ignition wires). Since the company Bosch is indeed a huge supplier of many, many Volkswagen electrical components, including ignition wires on select models, they are indeed an "OEM", if you will. Fact is, and this is where it can get *very* confusing, is when a car will have a VIN split on a part and you have a situation where an auto maker will contract two separate manufacturers to produce a part the same year, but in different models, etc.

So in closing, when you see "OEM" (at least this is the case on our site) it should generally mean that a part you're receiving is from a company (i.e. Behr, Conti-Tech, Emico, Lemforder, NTN, SKF, etc) that at one time (maybe not always currently, but at one point in time) was contracted by an auto maker to produce direct replacement parts. Unlike a lot of websites that will advertise "Timing Belt Tensioner" on their site, we will always give you the name of the manufacturer who produced that part and list "OEM" on it to let you know. If it does not say "OEM", then it's going to be from a company that has yet to earn the clout to win a bid with an auto maker. These parts will be "aftermarket" parts. Also note that a lot of "OE" part manufacturers who normally contract for Audi or BMW (or any other car maker), and sell directly to the factories, will offer an "aftermarket" line of their parts, which in most cases are no different than what's being sold to the factories and offer their "aftermarket" line because they are bound by contract to do so. Case in point: we at one time were sourcing Genuine OEM intake boots (which BTW, "Genuine" typically just means it was sold to the factory, which was in turn sent to the dealer and will typically come in a "VW or Audi" box). These "Genuine OEM" intake boots had the VW emblem scratched off due to agreements with the manufacturer. These boots were actually sourced directly from the factory that sells them to Volkswagen of Germany, but because they had the "VW-Audi" logo on them and could not be sold to anyone but VAG directly, the logos were simply scratched off (not hindering their ability to function properly, as they're just plastic), saving you almost 80% off what you'd by them for at the dealer. We had customers asking us why it was like this and emailing us with, "I thought this was an OEM part! Why the bait and switch?!?" Fact is, they are absolutely OEM - but by law, the logo had to be removed from them. Actually, you could see (if you looked real hard) that the VW/Audi logos were the only thing scratched off. They even said "Made in Germany" on them. Some people understood and accepted it, while some others did not. Your choice; ask yourself: would you pay $200 for a "Genuine OEM" mass air meter with the VW/Audi logo on it or take the exact same one (with ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE) with the logo scratched off for $50 that shipped directly a dealer in Berlin, Germany? That is the case with tons and tons and tons of Volkswagen "OEM" parts being sold all over the globe. And this doesn't even count all the parts made on German lathes, German CNCs, German mills, being run by VAG employees, on Chinese soil. Parts are made all over the world. Many Bosch parts, in fact, are made in China. German engineering, same German warranty, same German Bosch box, but made on soil somewhere in China. Does that make it any less "OEM" to you? Would you not buy it? Many MK4s were made in Mexico, but this does not make them any less German. There are tons and tons of variables that go into this stuff. Feel free to email us with any questions about any of this stuff and we'd love to discuss it with you.

DISCLAIMER: Sorry, if this came off as "call-out" to the fella that posted from the ECS name. Just thought I'd clear the air with the Meyle misinformation - that's it. ECS and Jon are very well schooled on what they do and a great leader in our industry of providing quality parts and indeed will sell you what they advertise. ECS is great and should be shopped with confidence.

01-18-2011 08:19 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by DFWSKATE View Post
      OEM means its **** the dealership will rape you for
      Hey, you shut your gorgeous mouth!

.. but I guess you're right.

29. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Modified ones
      01-18-2011 09:06 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by MJM Autohaus View Post
      DISCLAIMER: Sorry, if this came off as "call-out" to the fella that posted from the ECS name. Just thought I'd clear the air with the Meyle misinformation - that's it. ECS and Jon are very well schooled on what they do and a great leader in our industry of providing quality parts and indeed will sell you what they advertise. ECS is great and should be shopped with confidence.
      No offense taken, and thank you for the kind words. There was typo in my sentence which I have corrected in my original post and will clarify here as well. Meyle is not an OE supplier, but as you mentioned, they do supply a large selection of high quality replacement parts. We also use many of the Meyle HD components on our shop cars, I've also used a number of them on my personal cars over the years.

In the sentence you pointed out, I was attempting to make the point that we offer versions from a number of different suppliers. Aftermarket, OES and OEM versions are all available for that specific part on the website. It is the customers choice as to which part fits their needs best, which often times is based on pricing. I mistakenly got Meyle into the wrong part of that sentence.

I will follow up by confirming that if the parts supplier says "Genuine VW / Audi" on the ECS website, it means the part is a Genuine OEM part directly from VAG. All parts from OE suppliers like Mahle, Mann, Bosch, etc... are all designated as OE or OES with the manufacture listed.

Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VRT / 2003 Jeep Liberty
      01-18-2011 09:43 AM #30

Vehicles
      GTI, R32, S4, MK VI GTI
      01-18-2011 09:54 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by swagger rob View Post
      lol
      My sig was to long so i had to change it or get more infractions...Cool story bro....
      I survived the epic MKIV sexy lady party of 2010
      MM954 Hater Club #6
      EMT/Firefighter

Vehicles
      AP1
      01-18-2011 10:50 AM #32
      wait was this really bumped from 2009 to point out a mistake?
      I'm not a star. Somebody lied.

01-18-2011 10:57 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiddie Rose View Post
      Yup!
      Wanna practice karate in the garage?

Vehicles
      bagged B7 S4 DTM Edition
      01-18-2011 11:26 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiddie Rose View Post
      wow haha
      Floss Filthy x Team Big Shark x Gengstout x VIP Modular

VIP MODULAR WHEELS: I am the East Coast Division Leader for the company, any questions about our wheels or any refinishing we can do for you let me know

35. 01-18-2011 09:45 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by dirtylowslo View Post
      OEM doesn't have to come from VW just the company that makes the part for VW, hence Original Equipment Manufacturer
      i agree with this!

i had no idea this thread was so old, sorry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast