VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Lighting-Questions & Answers Here Please

135K views 561 replies 159 participants last post by  honkylips 
#1 ·
LED license plate lights/housings that DON'T throw codes (new style)

So, now that more and more MKVI's are hitting the road... more and more of us are going to be playing around with things.
It got me to thinking that a "Lighting" thread may not be a bad thing... until we get the FAQ stickies up and running. I will merge other lighting threads into this and it can be our one-stop-question-and-answer-shop for a while.

Moderator Udpate: These DO NOT WORK on MKVI Golfs.
Found these on ebay and then cheaper on their website. Also found a cupon code for $15.00 any LED purchase. The cupon code is "LEDNOW" (can be used on more than one item at a time).

http://www.pyspeed.com/product-p/dash-8021.htm
I ordered two and cant wait! I have LED's now and error codes come and go as they please. These people say they DONT throw codes and looks to be good quality product as well.
From the site:
"Description

This is a set of super bright LED License Plate Light for special designed for various VW models
- Module design direct installation
- Simple plug and play
- No error code
- Fit OEM LED or halogen license plate light
- Double brightness compared to OEM LED light
- Xenon white color
Available for VW model below, please fill in your model during check out.
- Golf IV, Golf V
- Passat CC, EOS
- Polo (05 +)
- Phaeton"

Modified by TREGinginCO at 1:17 PM 1-5-2010

Modified by TREGinginCO at 10:35 AM 1-9-2010

See less See more
#52 ·
Re: 2010 GTI

Anyone know the size of the foot well lamps on a 2010 GTI??
I don't mind having the footwell lights on while driving at night but the color difference between the yellow/white bulbs on the floor and the bright white led gauges bothers me
Looking to replace the floor bulbs with some bright white LEDs
Thanks for the help!

Modified by CarbonSteel_MKVI at 7:36 PM 12-22-2009

#58 ·
Re: aftermarket HIDs (tfjes)

any particular reason why you didnt purchase the OEM ones for $700? they work great and are backed by warranty

#60 ·
Re: aftermarket HIDs (thebrigadoon)

Quote, originally posted by thebrigadoon »
What you can buy OEM ones? My Stealership didn't say squat about that!!!
Then again I'm way up North EH? Like in the igloo country EH?

they are an option when you buy the car. buying the oem ones climb upwards of $2000 to install after the fact.

#62 ·
Re: aftermarket HIDs (absoluteczech)

Quote, originally posted by absoluteczech »
ever think maybe he got a GOLF

thought about it and if he does then my point is no longer valid.

#63 ·
installed new bulbs

sup guys new to the forums and new to the VW. neways to the point just installed some new bulbs. i was tryna install aftermarket hid's but they had to drill a hole in the clip that holds the bulb so i didnt bother. change head light and fog light bulbs. looks nicer then before. btw using phone camera so pics might be WEAKKK. srry

before

after

me and wifeys new vdubs. =]

#527 ·
sup guys new to the forums and new to the VW. neways to the point just installed some new bulbs. i was tryna install aftermarket hid's but they had to drill a hole in the clip that holds the bulb so i didnt bother. change head light and fog light bulbs. looks nicer then before. btw using phone camera so pics might be WEAKKK. srry

before

after

me and wifeys new vdubs. =]
What's the brand of the bulbs you are using?

#65 ·
Re: (MK6GTI)

change head light and fog light bulbs.

#68 ·
Re: FV-QR (venom600)

Quote, originally posted by venom600 »
Let me be the first to thank you for not installing aftermarket HIDs that blind everyone around you.

Actually, it sounds like he ended up just installing tinted bulbs, not the aftermarket HIDs.

#69 ·
Re: FV-QR (MaxHedrm)

Quote, originally posted by MaxHedrm »

Actually, it sounds like he ended up just installing tinted bulbs, not the aftermarket HIDs.

OP said he was going to but they would have had to drill. so the thank you is still valid

#71 ·
Re: FV-QR (venom600)

Quote, originally posted by venom600 »
Let me be the first to thank you for not installing aftermarket HIDs that blind everyone around you.

X2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#76 ·
Re: FV-QR (Bob Sacamano)

thanks Bob, I'd been trying to figure out which ziza h7 bulbs to get and I was leaning toward platinum. Is the light output really white as it appears? Any tints of blue or purple? I'm planning on puttin them in my new s5 style led headlamps(b6 passat) as the lowbeam bulbs. Thanks again

Modified by nh9095 at 7:47 AM 12-26-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.