Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Living in an industrial property/zone?

1. 12-20-2009 01:50 PM #1
      I searched quickly, couldn't find anything so far. Does anyone know if it's possible to live in an industrial building? The reason I'm asking is because I was looking for a house of some sort in an industrial sector so I wouldn't have to worry about neighbors/making noise/parking. Right now I have to park in the street, but they have strict schedules on which side I can park at what times on what days. It's a huge hassle with 2 cars. Plus I want to get myself a nicer car, and don't want to leave it outside 24/7.

I found a building that has a garage, is pretty decently sized, 33'x70', and is right in an industrial zone. What laws would enable/prevent me from building a living unit inside that? Or even converting it into a loft for myself.

Here's a pic of the place.

Modified by Intalex at 1:51 PM 12-20-2009

run come save me.
      E93 M3.

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta GLI Autobahn
      12-20-2009 02:07 PM #2
      check your local zoning laws and ask in your regional forum. Zoning and such vary greatly.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      12-20-2009 03:06 PM #3
      LOL, we own a couple of office/commercial/warehouse condo units. When we bought the first one and moved our office there, I told my wife I wanted to put in a shower and kitchen so we could live there if we had to. She balked.

Now the second one is empty (tenant left last year) and it would be a perfect for a car loving bachelor to live. The garage is huge, has an electric door, a half bathroom and gas heat. It will easily fit 4 to 6 cars. The rest of the unit has gas heat, central A/C, half bathroom and about 800 sqft of living space. No shower or kitchen. Of course, that could be added if you really wanted to. Not many windows either.

Unfortunately, our local zoning regs would probably prohibit it if they caught you. Part of the issue is probably with fire safety. If there is a fire, they aren't going to be expecting to have to search rooms for people sleeping there.

Here are some photos from my CL ad for the place.

4. 12-20-2009 05:54 PM #4
      That place looks really nice. I understand it's probably not an ideal long-term thing, but not bad while I'm young and single.
      run come save me.
      E93 M3.

Vehicles
      96 Cherokee 4.0, 82 Rabbit Truck
      12-20-2009 06:01 PM #5
      I met a guy once that rented the whole lower level of an industrial building, parked a big camper inside and lived in that.
      Next edit by onebadbug; tomorrow at 10:13 AM.

What you get isn't always what you see.

12-21-2009 10:40 AM #6
      My old boss lived at one of our office buildings during the week. He had a couch in his office and installed the most luxurious "chemical safety shower" the inspector had ever seen.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      12-21-2009 02:49 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by joeslob »
      My old boss lived at one of our office buildings during the week. He had a couch in his office and installed the most luxurious "chemical safety shower" the inspector had ever seen.

lol!

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      12-21-2009 03:01 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by joeslob »

Reminds me of a local auto body shop owner I know who recently built a new shop with a special office for himself. He was showing it off to me, including the marble tiled shower with seat. I guess he goes through a lot of secretaries.

9. 12-21-2009 03:51 PM #9
      I'm sure you'd have a run around with the tax man.
      Autocratic

10. Member
      12-27-2009 07:04 PM #10
      I live in an industrial zoned building. Shop on the first floor, living space on the second. All perfectly legal. Real estate taxes are higher since it's commercial, but everything else runs about the same as a house of the same size.

11. Member
      12-27-2009 08:40 PM #11
      I have a former professor who bought out an old factory for CHEAP!

He converted it into:
      1st level: Gallery
      2nd level: Workshop and Studio
      3rd Level: Studio Apartment.

It's really quite amazing. He got the solid oak floors, etc all refinished. Place looks swank, and TONS of space.

Depending on your area, the local Gov't may be flexible on your zoning, or help you get things rezoned.
      In our area, we've consistently led unemployment in our state....so the opportunity to renovate an old building and get tax revenue was a godsend for the city....

12. 12-29-2009 03:33 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by boilerman »
      check your local zoning laws and ask in your regional forum. Zoning and such vary greatly.

X2. Most zoning is pyramidal. Meaning less intensive uses are usually allows allowed where more intensive uses are allowed. Most commercial zones allow housing since since housing is less intense than commercial. However, in my City, housing is not allowed in Industrial zones. Those zones are preserved for heavy and light industrial uses that are not very compatable with housing. Also, housing can tend to drive away family wage industrial jobs when it competes for limited large development sites.

Vehicles
      SLUG
      12-29-2009 05:40 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by onebadbug »
      I met a guy once that rented the whole lower level of an industrial building, parked a big camper inside and lived in that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8bjFFXUEk8