Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 24 Season 8

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2007 BMW X3, 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      01-26-2010 01:31 AM #141
      Quote, originally posted by GrayRayT »
      It pains me to say this but this series is nose diving quickly. I always considered 24 my favorite show for years but after these last couple of episodes everything seems very poorly written, poorly shot, poorly acted, and all the subplots seem overly contrived. What the hell happened??

no its been the same. you're overthinking it.

do you want a cougar to jump out and attack Renee?

2. 01-26-2010 09:48 AM #142
      Here's my problem with last night...the main russian dude's sons. The blonde one had a Russian accident when talking to his papa and then promptly looses it and the other one never has an accent. Just struck me as weird/poorly thought out.

3. Administrator Emeritus adg44's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 Audi A5, 2014 VW Jetta GLI, 1992 Corrado VR6 S/C, 2001 Honda VFR800
      01-26-2010 10:01 AM #143
      I have to say, last night's episode was pretty bad...

The first four episodes are always good, then the next six are usually horrible, then there is the mid season twist, and then it sucks again until the finale.

Yet I always complain about it, but I still keep watching.

- Anthony

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      01-26-2010 10:53 AM #144
      I FF'd through the non-action, non-Jack sequences. Made the ep move better.

I still can't believe it's possible the blond data analyst is an ex-con using an alias -- and yet working for CTU. I figure the pathetic background checks run by CTU are a running joke on the show.

:gift:

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      01-26-2010 11:00 AM #145
      The side story between this new CTU chick and her dirtbag ex-boyfriend might be the worst ever.
      vwot.org

In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught.
      In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity. - Hunter S Thompson

6. 01-26-2010 11:57 AM #146
      Quote, originally posted by The Red Baron »
      The side story between this new CTU chick and her dirtbag ex-boyfriend might be the worst ever.

We joked about that on the last page. It's up there with a couple others for worst ever.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Snap Orange Beetle
      01-26-2010 12:33 PM #147
      Quote, originally posted by Angina »

While watching the scenes with Dana and Kevin, I actually told Cooper last night, bring back the mountain lion.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      01-26-2010 01:25 PM #148
      Quote, originally posted by VW parking only »

We joked about that on the last page. It's up there with a couple others for worst ever.

I would vote for worst ever! She is an ex-con = prison time = finger prints on file. CTU uses finger/hand prints to access areas of the building not to mention most likely used in a background check.

FAIL!

I love how billy bob has a buddy there too now and he's ok with things getting a bit rough.

Jack is watching Renee turn into him slowly but surely!

01-26-2010 03:08 PM #149
      Quote, originally posted by VW parking only »

Yes. It's even worse than the Kimmy/mountain lion/survivalist guy side story. She's not that bright, the guard saw her talking to billybob so she can't ice him claiming a break-in, and she is so scared of losing her alias that she might try something dumb like doing what he wants. Unless she lets Freddy in on it, and he takes care of billybob and his buddy... but I'm already putting way too much thought into this silly aspect.

-GP

Vehicles
      '91 Nissan 300ZX Twinturbo, '03 VW GTI 1.8T
      01-26-2010 05:02 PM #150
      Quote, originally posted by Angina »

no its been the same. you're overthinking it.

No. Do you?

Please don't tell me what I'm overthinking as if you know what is a fact from an opinion.

Vehicles
      2007 Ford Fusion SUX, school bus turning radius edition
      01-26-2010 05:04 PM #151
      The whole Dana Walsh thing with ex con boyfriend is stupid. I hope freddy prinze shoots all of them.

And Lwise, I was thinking the same thing. How can she just change her name and get a job at CTU? She's an ex con associated with a murder? At CTU she has to scan her hands to get in/out of the building. They don't have her fingerprints on file? Did she steals someones fingertips and graft them on? Well there is always one aspect of the show that pi$$ses me off, guess this is it. At least for the start of this series.

Vehicles
      01-26-2010 05:16 PM #152
      Even the whole Renee Walker history side story is also kind of lame IMO. Not very believable; it's like they just contrived some half written story just for the sake of brining her jugs back this season. Last season she was like a total wuss, too clean cut and didn't want to get her hands dirty at all. So am I supposed to believe that a couple years before that she was working undercover with some hard hitting Russian mobsters? I just can't look past that, along with the Dana side story. I think this season there are too many side stories being loosely thrown around all at once and they are not tightly written.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      01-26-2010 05:33 PM #153
      Quote, originally posted by G20t »
      How can she just change her name and get a job at CTU? She's an ex con associated with a murder?

Apparently CTU has more relaxed background checks than McDonalds.

vwot.org

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      01-26-2010 05:59 PM #154
      I should work for CTU.

01-26-2010 07:39 PM #155
      Quote, originally posted by GrayRayT »
      It pains me to say this but this series is nose diving quickly. I always considered 24 my favorite show for years but after these last couple of episodes everything seems very poorly written, poorly shot, poorly acted, and all the subplots seem overly contrived. What the hell happened??

It's been like this for at least the past 2 seasons.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '05 Camry XLE
      01-26-2010 10:37 PM #156
      When I'm not raving about how great the show is, I'm bitching about how much it sucks. Very schizoid, just like the show. Last night was kind of like watching a "Do It Yourself 24 Episode", with half-a-dozen wildly unrelated sub-plotlets tossed into the big bowl of action-suspense salad. Everyone has already covered my major objections, so little else to be said, except that I, like Anthony and others, will dutifully come back next Monday evening in the hope that the show will redeem itself once again just the way it has pretty unfailingly in the past. But, they're playing with fire this season. Last night's episode was perhaps the most BORING in the show's entire run, IMO. That climactic scene with Renee Walker begging the Rusky to shoot her? That was about as suspenseful as a sunrise. It bordered on insulting the loyal viewers of the show, IMO. Come on, writers! You can do MUCH better than this!
      Do you enjoy old cars and long-winded stories about them? If your answer is "yes", then you might enjoy my blogpage. Try it here: http://vwlarry.blogspot.com . Leave a comment, too; I love feedback! Thanx for reading.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.” - Aristotle

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      01-26-2010 11:35 PM #157
      Taking off my rose-colored glasses, I'd like to point out that "24" has always been bad as often as it has been good, and they probably wrote the book on horrible, trite subplots.

Jack and mayhem are the glue that hold this series together.

Keifer looks lean and mean this season, and as long as the body count and blood splatter remain high (and Chloe doesn't stop pouting), things will be fine.

x24

18. 01-27-2010 08:30 AM #158
      24 always has had some hit or miss storylines. And sometimes when they miss, they miss very high and wide! (JUUUUSSSST a bit outside!)

As mentioned earlier, Kimmy and the mountain lion/mountain man escapades. Jack's wife with amnesia. Fat Hobbit director and his family troubles. Female director and her suicidal daughter. And now this silly Starbuck/Billy Bob plotline. This sort of crap should be on a soap opera or on Lifetime or the Oxygen channel or something. If this turns out to be a "mole" character, I'm am going to be annoyed with it as well. CTU already has had more moles than a potato farm in Idaho.

As with Starbuck, I can halfway put away my disbelief in how this wasn't discovered by CTU. Number one, CTU always has worse background checks than a local fast food eatery does. #2, apparently she was convicted as a juvenile. In many states these records are sealed. At least from the general public -- I would think if you apply for a sensitive government position, they could still get access to them though. Maybe since she is a data analyist should could've somehow gotten those records completely expunged or created some great new identity of herself that even government background checks couldn't find. Would be nice if they had some throwaway line or two saying something like this.

I know, I know .. it's just a silly TV show and we should all just put away our brains a lot of the time while watching it. But I wish sometimes the writers would do a better job with this stuff.

As for this episode, mostly a filler/bridge sort of episode. Dark Renee needed to reestablish her cover and that was the primary focus of the hour. Poor Ruskie store dude .. all he was doing was getting ready to close the store and inside of 2 hours gets an appendage chopped off, gets kidnapped and then shot and dumped into a river. Poor guy should've been allowed to finish his vodka.

Was slightly annoyed with President Taylor's chiding of President Hassan though. I mean, sure, it would be nice if he followed a US rule of law and all that. But the guy was about to be toppled (and assasinated by dudes loyal to his OWN BROTHER) and I can see where he would now be just a wee bit annoyed with those who oppose him now.

Not to mention if he is toppled, that peace pact would now mean NOTHING, Madame President.

Just my (longish) 2 cents worth,

Joe C.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      01-27-2010 10:43 AM #159
      Quote, originally posted by Lwize »
      I should work for CTU.

If you meet the following requirements you've got a shot:

- An Ex Con
      - A spy
      - A terrorist Mole
      - An inept beauracrat
      - Living a double life
      - Suicidal

Chloe, Jack, Bill, and Mason were the only good hires that CTU ever made.

...and btw... this season is already a million times better than last season for 1 reason... No Garofolo!

1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      01-27-2010 11:19 AM #160
      Quote, originally posted by beng »

If you meet the following requirements you've got a shot:

- An Ex Con
      - A spy
      - A terrorist Mole
      - An inept beauracrat
      - Living a double life
      - Suicidal

4 out of 6. That should at least get me a second interview.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      01-27-2010 11:23 AM #161
      LMAO

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

22. 01-27-2010 11:33 AM #162
      Why do you call the data analyst 'Starbuck'?

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDI
      01-27-2010 12:15 PM #163
      The blonde CTU agent and her redneck BF should both be shot. if she said she didn't know her "visitor" at CTU this whole issue would have been moot. plus, isn't she a goddamn federal agent? shoot the bastard and claim self defense, the law would be on her side.

oh and the Dr. involved in the 2 russian brothers, come on. there's "nothing he can do" when it comes to radiation poisoning, but hold a gun to his head, and he'll find a way

c.b.s.

Contact me if you have VCDS requests in New England (2006+ only)

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      01-27-2010 12:48 PM #164
      Quote, originally posted by mAdD INDIAN »
      Why do you call the data analyst 'Starbuck'?

I IMDB'd her. She was on Battlestar Galactica. Her nickname was "Seattle's Best Coffee".

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      01-27-2010 02:30 PM #165
      Quote, originally posted by Lwize »
      Taking off my rose-colored glasses, I'd like to point out that "24" has always been bad as often as it has been good, and they probably wrote the book on horrible, trite subplots.

no doubt. i think that watching it as it airs on TV just gives you more time to brood on the stupidity. when i was burning through seasons 1-3 on DVD the retarded subplots rarely annoyed me for more than a few minutes because i was on to the next episode.

watching on TV gives me commercial breaks and a week between to stew over what i just watched.

vwot.org

26. 01-27-2010 02:44 PM #166
      is it me or does 24 have way more commercial breaks compared to other shows?

24 & Simpsons are notorious for their commercial breaks.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Snap Orange Beetle
      01-28-2010 06:10 PM #167
      Also, what kind of trials do they have where blondie comes from. When she was begging at the feet of Kevin, she said she didn't turn on him that she got out early because she was a juvenile. If she turned on him, wouldn't she have had to testify at the trial? Kevin would have known if she had turned on him or not.

I bet it will come out like she was waiting for him in the car and he went and killed someone and that's why she was arrested for being an accomplice and she really had nothing to do with the murder.

Vehicles
      01-28-2010 06:40 PM #168
      She's ugly. I don't like her.

29. 02-01-2010 10:25 AM #169
      Lets hope tonight is a faster paced episode.

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      02-01-2010 10:40 AM #170
      Agreed... and I hope Walker dishes out some more unneccesary violence.

Vehicles
      '73 Camaro Z/28 & '05 LGT Wagon
      02-01-2010 10:05 PM #171
      Ok, anyone else tiring of Jack whining that they need to pull Renee out???

32. 02-02-2010 12:38 AM #172
      Quote, originally posted by 91gti20v »
      Ok, anyone else tiring of Jack whining that they need to pull Renee out???

Yeah. I'm kind of sick of not seeing Jack do much of ANYTHING these last couple of episodes....

Get back into ass-kicking mode Jack!!!

02-02-2010 12:41 AM #173
      Bauer and the Dieter glasses. I guess the CTU tac team didn't have time to get a black turtle neck to go with the glasses.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      02-02-2010 02:04 AM #174
      New cure for radiation poisoning: hot lead.
      That's tough love.

35. 02-02-2010 03:15 AM #175
      Was Jack driving a B7... or maybe B8 S4 in the last scene? And the baddies rocking a Cayenne? Im so glad they didn't get a weird deal with one car manufacturer this season. It was weird seeing Toyota's and Lexus all over LA.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast