Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Water Leak into Spare Tire Well on 00 Lincoln LS

Vehicles
      2007 VW GLI, 2004 Honda S2000
      12-21-2009 08:58 AM #1
      On my mother's 2000 Lincoln LS V8, we noticed over the summer that an amount of water had accumulataed into the spare tire well. I thought that was very strange as the rest of the trunk always appeared dry and the seal around the trunk looked pretty good.

However, recently she could not get her car started, and it had to be jumped. We opened the trunk (which is where the battery is located), and saw that there was about 3 inches of ice in the spare tire well, basically surrounding the battery, spare tire/tool kit, etc. in the well of the trunk. The rest of the normal part of the trunk was dry.

Not sure why this would happen or where the source of the leak is. Anyone have any idea?

I was thinking maybe there is a vent for the battery, perhaps that has allowed water to accumulate?

12-21-2009 09:01 AM #2
      Something similar happened to my friend's 2003 TL. He ended up trading it in on a sunny day after finding out it was hit and improperly repaired.

12-21-2009 09:02 AM #3
      trunk seal? sunroof drain clogged?
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2007 VW GLI, 2004 Honda S2000
      12-21-2009 10:38 AM #4
      When we get it dried out I will have to run water over the trunk with a hose to see if that's the culprit. As it stands, the seal looks good.

Sunroof drains towards the trunk?

Vehicles
      2011 Mustang, 1991 Explorer
      12-21-2009 10:45 AM #5
      The sunroof most likely drains behind the rear wheel.

I'm serious with this one, sit in the trunk with a flashlight and have your mother go through an automatic car wash. The high pressure water will help you spot the leak.

Maybe even have the spare tire out so you can see in and around there too.

12-21-2009 10:48 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Jetty! »
      When we get it dried out I will have to run water over the trunk with a hose to see if that's the culprit. As it stands, the seal looks good.

Sunroof drains towards the trunk?

All the cars I have owned with sunroofs have had 4 drains. 2 at the front of the sunroof and 2 at the rear. The front ones run down the A-pillar and drain behind the front wheels somewhere and the rears run back through a B- or C-pillar and drain somewhere around the rear wheels. Lots of little bits of leaves and pine needles get clogged in there and can cause water to back up into the cabin. open up the sunroof and pour a little water in the side channels with a gardening can
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature