Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Temp Gauge disabled due to coolant performance faults

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-23-2009 03:48 PM #1
      06 A3 w/3.2 VR6 BUB
      My mechanic and I have been chasing an interesting symptom. My coolant temp gauge has been malfunctioning, but it would seem this is due to either (or both) P2181 implausible signal, performance malfuntion in cooling system, and on another occasion, accompanied by P0018 G62 ECT lower limit exceeded (intermittent open ckt)

The point I want to address in this thread is that in each event, the coolant temp gauge in the instrument cluster appears to have been disabled by the ecu software due to the fault registering.

Upon clearing the fault, the gauge immediately pops up to where it should be with a warm engine.

The 3.2 in the 06 A3 seems to be a bit different from the other vag cars, in that it uses a single 2 pin ECT sensor for engine temp, and forwards this data to the instrument cluster module. This is different from the cars which use the 4 pin sender, wich would seem to send a signal DIRECTLY to the temp gauge, as well as a primary signal to the ECU.

I just wanted to share this observation, as neither myself, or my audi mechanic have seen this situation, and ask if anyone can confirm that this makes sense. Thanks.

My mechanic is a licensed vag com user, fyi.

Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-24-2009 10:09 AM #2
      bump.
      Also, which other late model audis use the 2 wire ect sender, beside the A3 3.2? anyone?
      Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

3. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      12-24-2009 12:18 PM #3
      If you have an auto scan to post, please do so. This would show us the exact faults and modules are installed.

From your description, it sounds as if the G62 sensor has failed. Keep in mind that the second fault could indicate a thermostat or something more involved.
      http://wiki.ross-tech.com/inde...08577

In general the gray Ect sensor (# 06A 919 501 A) is used from 2005 and up on VW & Audi vehicles. Your local dealer may be able to give you more details on that. There is also a G83 sensor in your lower rad hose.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-25-2009 01:15 PM #4
      Thanks Dana. The vag-com is my mechanics, and I dont have access to the scan data to post, I just wrote down what he told me. I dont own the software myself (yet) but for the hours he is billing me, I could have one and a nice laptop. THis is my first "modern" audi, and since I am a serious diy'er, Its on my list! My mechanic is great in that he is fine with me doing the majority of my own work, and he is happy to bail me out when I get over my head.

I have replaced the G62 twice, with the revised "A" part, and also the G83 while i was at it. Seems I would have 2 issues: bad G62 wiring (this is why i went to my guy w/vag com for real time trouble shooting) AND I suspect now a thermostat is needed. My mechanic did not understand why the gauge was not working, despite reading live data from G62 showing warmed up temps, the cluster read 0 thru vag-com. He was convinced it was a bad cluster harness connection. I was not convinced, and now he agrees after seeing my theory proven. clearing the P2181 code instantly enabled the temp gauge, and it shot up right away.

He was convinced it was cluster wiring, but since the cluster temp gauge works off of the can bus data from the J533 interface to the ECU, this makes no sense. This is based on the wiring diagram in my Bently DVD. Upon clearing the P2181 code, the gauge funcioned normally, and has for a few days now.

My main question here is has anyone seen the gauge disabled, as a result of ECU programming, rather than, or in combination with CEL as indicator of a cooling system performance fault? My theory is that the first fault disables the gauge, and subsequent faults will trigger CEL. This has been my observation.

My next project is putting in a fresh thermostat. after 57K mi its time, imho. These faults started popping up when the weather turned cold.

5. Forum Sponsor Dana @ Ross-Tech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      02 Gti, 12 Tiggy SEL
      12-26-2009 12:46 PM #5
      I don't have an answer for your coolant gauge question. I do have a theory

The fuel level, ambient air, coolant gauges, etc. have a buffer. Meaning that if you drive into a warmer place such as a garage for a short amount of time, the ambient air temp does not go from 45*F to 65*F instantly. If you are driving on a back road, the fuel gauge isn't all over the place around bends. You get where I'm going.

But, If you disconnect the vehicle battery once the vehicle is in a garage and reconnect it..The ambient air reading on the dash is accurate in real time. It is possible that this is similar to you clearing the faults in the Ecm, real time reading.

I would suggest looking at the measuring blocks in the cluster and see if the temperature is actual. This would determine it the signal from the Ecm is real-time and the cluster is buffering it.

I agree with your thermostat replacement. This seems like the most logical component to go after since the mentioned sensors were already replaced.

Dana Marie

P.S. No Scan = No Soup

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      12-27-2009 11:32 AM #6
      Thanks Dana. I understand what you are saying. In fact, I do recall my mechanic showing me the vag com reading for the cluster gauge showed 0, while at the same time the g62 was reading 70, thus his assumption a fault in the cluster wiring. I dont have a printout, he just showed me his laptop while connected. then when he cleared the fault, it popped up to read in agreement w/G62, and the cluster gauge activated as well.

The gauge died again on xmas, and last night the cel came back on, so ill try to get a printout of the autoscan next week, if he can squeeze me in.

Im holding back on shop hours to buy my own license and a used laptop. Since I have 4 more years of payments on my A3, I think It would be a wise investement!

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      02-23-2010 04:08 PM #7
      Update: I now own a micro can and have been data logging and exploring this issue. I can say with certainty based on my observation, that for the Motronic version in my car, a 2006 A3 3.2, the temp gauge in the instrument cluster goes limp when P2181 is triggered. After several instances of this code, CEL comes on.

Temp sender g62 continues to send data, which can be viewed and logged in any of the measuring block groups that include this field. The temp gauge in the instrument cluster will immediately pop right up to a normal reading upon clearing of the fault code.

My mechanic has been in touch with other vag techs who confirm this little trick has on been observed on the 06 A3 w/3.2 vr6, and no other models/years. Hope this helps anyone chasing this issue, as the 06's are just starting to be old enough to need thermostat replacement, especially during the cold weather. Change the t-stat, and leave the instrument cluster alone!

Thursday,11,February,2010,19:33:01:54494
      VCDS Version: Release 908.1
      Data version: 20091018

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 1K0
      Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 22 25 42 44 46 52 55 56 62 72

VIN: WAUKD78P06A085638 Mileage: 95550km/59372miles

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
      01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
      02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
      03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
      08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
      09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
      15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
      16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
      17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
      19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
      22-AWD -- Status: OK 0000
      25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
      42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
      44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
      46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
      52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
      55-Xenon Range -- Status: Malfunction 0010
      56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
      62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
      72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
      Part No SW: 022 906 032 GP HW: 000 000 000 00
      Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1G 8192
      Revision: --H01--- Serial number: AUX7Z0E9FNB09J
      Coding: 0000178
      Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
      008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System
      P2181 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
      Freeze Frame:
      Fault Status: 11101000
      Fault Priority: 0
      Fault Frequency: 4
      Mileage: 93711 km
      Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
      RPM: 1359 /min
      Load: 83.5 %
      Speed: 42.0 km/h
      Temperature: 76.0°C
      Temperature: 6.0°C
      Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
      Voltage: 14.097 V

Readiness: 0000 1000

Modified by SilverSquirrel at 4:16 PM 2/23/2010

Modified by SilverSquirrel at 4:18 PM 2/23/2010