Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 143 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The 4 day bay......

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      01-04-2010 02:13 PM #76
      Quote, originally posted by Forty-six and 2 »
      Pick a weekend. Maybe a few weeks out, and I will get it "approved". That will give me some time to get a bunch of other goodies for you to snap more shots of. I was hoping to continue to use my blurs to hide my incompetence though. I will have to step up my game, I guess.

we will have to figure a weekend out for sure. Get some of your other goodies finished and looking really really good and I will take some good pictures of them. Figure I might as well put the thousands of dollars in camera equipment to use
      Quote Originally Posted by ein View Post
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

Vehicles
      91 Corrado 2.0l 16v on MS3X, Parked like Jurassic... 83 Cabby 1.8l 16v... 88 Powerplay XLT-185
      01-04-2010 05:51 PM #77
      Quote, originally posted by xtremevdub »
      I wanna see that too..
      I did all my work with a heat gun and all my wrinkles were pretty damn even... I never did a whole bay though..
      Chad.. we need an update... when are you gonna put the head back on? did you get your parts from GAP yet?

Yeah, been busy with having my kid here, took him home yesterday tho Got the parts from GAP today, but still need a couple parts, so I'm gonna swing into SNS tomorrow to get the last of the gaskets and o-rings. Itz just too cold to paint right now, so I've kinda put that on hold and moved on with the batt relocation. Stopped by Lowes earlier and saw the wire, but couldn't get anyone to cut it I also need to find somewhere local to get end connectors and a power block. I've' also been tearing apart some harnesses for better routing. Looking for a good spot to route the new cable and mount the power block, and I could not get the two ABS power wires back through the firewall to save my life, cant wait to get all that crap outta my car so, who's gonna send me a non-abs setup???
      Quote Originally Posted by crazynorweegian View Post
      Good luck, might want to get vaccinated for "while-I-am-in-there" syndrome.
      tek-euro.com SpoonFedTuning

my Corrado's specs on corrado-database / My Corrado Build Thread / My Cabby Build Thread / My Boat Build: 18' Powerplay w/5.7l V8

Vehicles
      1991 Corrado 16V ABF Aqua Blue Pearl effect. 2004 Mk4 Golf (Daily)
      01-04-2010 06:13 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by Sr. Karmann »
      Stopped by Lowes earlier and saw the wire, but couldn't get anyone to cut it I also need to find somewhere local to get end connectors and a power block. I've' also been tearing apart some harnesses for better routing. Looking for a good spot to route the new cable and mount the power block, and I could not get the two ABS power wires back through the firewall to save my life, cant wait to get all that crap outta my car so, who's gonna send me a non-abs setup???

HA.. thats just funny.. go to the hardware dept,. get some cutters and cut your own damn wire!
      The batt terminals I got come with 4 end conectors.. and at the same place where you get that, they sell the bad ass end connectors for sound systems that I am using. (found those and the junkyard )
      The ABS crap.. good luck.. its just a bitch.
      Damn is cold man.. dont paint with this weather.. is gonna get nice and warm into the 80's soon.. wait to paint another week. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      01-04-2010 06:25 PM #79
      man you guys think it is cold there... my door latch froze after I opened my car this morning. I had to wait until it was thawed out before I could shut it!
      Wuss's
      what kind of wire at lowes are you getting?
      * IMPORTANT* The English language is completely inadequate for describing how spectacularly stupid this thread is.

Vehicles
      91 Corrado 2.0l 16v on MS3X, Parked like Jurassic... 83 Cabby 1.8l 16v... 88 Powerplay XLT-185
      01-04-2010 07:03 PM #80
      The ABS crap.. good luck.. its just a bitch.
      Damn is cold man.. dont paint with this weather.. is gonna get nice and warm into the 80's soon.. wait to paint another week. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

ya, that crap sukks, can't freakin wait to get rid of it... Plus, I was gonna mount my power block where the controller is definitely gonna wait on the paint, figure itz gonna warm up enough by the weekend At least that gives me plenty of time to get everything degreased and prepped, as well as the battery done
      Quote, originally posted by TheBurninator »
      man you guys think it is cold there... my door latch froze after I opened my car this morning. I had to wait until it was thawed out before I could shut it!
      Wuss's
      what kind of wire at lowes are you getting?

Now, thatz cold, I remember snowy winters in Jersey with the Ghia, that thing was awesome in the snow... The wire, 2 and 4 gauge power wire, looks pretty good, like $2 per foot I'd like to find some of these tho...

my Corrado's specs on corrado-database / My Corrado Build Thread / My Cabby Build Thread / My Boat Build: 18' Powerplay w/5.7l V8

Vehicles
      '01 TT 225Q '84 Porsche 944
      01-04-2010 08:08 PM #81
      That thing is pretty cool. If you search hot rod wiring you can find some pretty cool stuff.
      Carbon fiber ME2.2lt Mkl TT coming soon...

.:46and2:.

Vehicles
      01-05-2010 06:15 PM #82
      Quote, originally posted by Forty-six and 2 »
      That thing is pretty cool. If you search hot rod wiring you can find some pretty cool stuff.

Yeah, it is... Was doing some random searches though Crutchfield and found those, not too badly priced either, just need stuff here now Also went and looked at the wire at Lowes and there is no way I'm putting that wire in, the stuff does not bend, so I need a more pliable wire, did manage to get the two ABS hot leads through the firewall tho, which was realnice... Was also doing some scoping as to where to mount the power block, thinking right above the hood latch pull, just a PITA to get a drill in there to have some mounting holes, may just have to punch them or say eff it and have a couple 's

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      01-05-2010 06:16 PM #83
      Yeah, it is... Was doing some random searches though Crutchfield and found those, not too badly priced either, just need stuff here now Also went and looked at the wire at Lowes and there is no way I'm putting that wire in, the stuff does not bend, so I need a more pliable wire, did manage to get the two ABS hot leads through the firewall tho, which was realnice... Was also doing some scoping as to where to mount the power block, thinking right above the hood latch pull, just a PITA to get a drill in there to have some mounting holes, may just have to punch them or say eff it and have a couple 's

Go to your local welding supply shop, ask for either 2 gauge or 0 gauge and call it a day.

Vehicles
      01-05-2010 06:25 PM #84
      Go to your local welding supply shop, ask for either 2 gauge or 0 gauge and call it a day.

I'll look it up tomorrow [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] How much load is on the cable anyway? The original wire looks like 4 gauge, but short. So, the question is, will I be able to draw enough amperage thru a 2 gauge wire at 10' long? 10' is a quik guesstimate, not crossing the trunk, but I'm thinking I may go over the rear shock tower.

Vehicles
      01-05-2010 06:26 PM #85
      ah.. man.. I think I have what you need at the Cave.. Wire wise.. I have to look for it.. but I took it out of my old car sound system.
      You gonna own me big time for that one!

Edit.. If you toss away the ECU for the ABS.. you would have tons of roon for that power block. and great mounting points too..

Modified by xtremevdub at 6:28 PM 1-5-2010

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      01-05-2010 06:27 PM #86
      I'll look it up tomorrow [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] How much load is on the cable anyway? The original wire looks like 4 gauge, but short. So, the question is, will I be able to draw enough amperage thru a 2 gauge wire at 10' long? 10' is a quik guesstimate, not crossing the trunk, but I'm thinking I may go over the rear shock tower.

Don't go over the rear shock tower. With the deka relocated you may want to go 0ga for the wire.

Vehicles
      01-05-2010 06:32 PM #87
      ah.. man.. I think I have what you need at the Cave.. Wire wise.. I have to look for it.. but I took it out of my old car sound system.
      You gonna own me big time for that one!

soundz good LMK BTW, picked up the last of the stuff at SNS today [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Don't go over the rear shock tower. With the deka relocated you may want to go 0ga for the wire.

[IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      01-06-2010 06:40 PM #88
      Progress update, got all the wiring for the batt reloc today and got the main run in... Rockford Fosgate 0 gauge and 2 gauge, Stinger power block and several ring connectors for the low, only 60 bucks, the effin hookup [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Here are the pics, enjoi

And I didn't know how many of you were running the extinguisher in the rear armrest???

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO, B6 ULTRASPORT MT6
      01-06-2010 06:47 PM #89
      Nice progress, but hasnt it been 4 days? lol just kidding. It is too cold to do anything right now.
      And I didn't know how many of you were running the extinguisher in the rear armrest???

Nope, cause I have the first aid kit from back there. lol
      [img][/img]
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      01-07-2010 12:05 AM #90
      Both of you with the gadgets on the arm rest..
      You bastards!!!
      I got nothing there!!! I used to stash some booze back there.. but I dont drive enough to keep anything there now..
      Nice 10mm bolt technique you did there chad [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Edit..
      How are you straping that sucker man?
      and you should put the (-) closer to the frame and the positive closer to the front of the car.. just in case.

Modified by xtremevdub at 12:07 AM 1-7-2010

Vehicles
      01-07-2010 06:55 AM #91
      Both of you with the gadgets on the arm rest..
      You bastards!!!
      I got nothing there!!! I used to stash some booze back there.. but I dont drive enough to keep anything there now..
      Nice 10mm bolt technique you did there chad [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Edit..
      How are you straping that sucker man?
      and you should put the (-) closer to the frame and the positive closer to the front of the car.. just in case.

Yeah, I just wonder what's really in Zak's box? Pipes and bongs or a sex kit or something
      I tried turning the battery both ways and like this location cause it keeps the terminals the furthest away from anything I may put in my trunk, i.e. dead hookers and whatnot Those terminal bolts actually came with the battery... I'm gonna use this badass mount I found on the net

Modified by Sr. Karmann at 4:03 AM 1-7-2010

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      01-07-2010 09:48 AM #92
      With the deka relocated you may want to go 0ga for the wire.

Yes, indeed.
      Also, welding cable is a very high strand count which makes it flexible and low noise. Go as big as you can for the + and as Kyle mentioned 0ga, which it looks like you ended up with.
      Also, in a pinch, even Ace hardware and home dept usually sell welding cable, but you can usually get a better deal at a wire supplier or welding supply.
      I would also seriously think about adding a Breaker or even a high amp fuse by the Batt!
      Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      01-07-2010 12:01 PM #93
      Quote, originally posted by sdezego »
      I would also seriously think about adding a Breaker or even a high amp fuse by the Batt!

That is a MUST!
      To elaborate what I was saying with the Deka needing 0ga wire:
      The Deka's have had trouble in the past with starting cars when they are relocated so far away from the starter. They don't have the CCA of a normal battery so just something to keep in mind.

Vehicles
      A6 TDI Quattro wagon, A4 TDI Quattro racecar
      01-07-2010 12:40 PM #94
      Can you even get a big enough breaker to handle the CCA of a starter motor?
      I took an A8 apart a while ago, which has the battery in the trunk and that just had a run of 0ga going straight from the battery to the starter. The accessory feed to the rest of the car had a 200A fuse link though.
      I think the 5-series BMW is also unfused, although that has an explosive bolt which disconnects the battery in the event of an accident!
      Throw an Audi engineer down a hole with a ladder and he will fashion a shovel from it and tunnel his way out

Quote Originally Posted by shwak23 View Post
      You could always call your insurance and say that some vandals tried to swap your car to rwd while you weren't looking.

Vehicles
      Corrado, Mk1, Mk3, CC
      01-07-2010 12:44 PM #95
      Quote, originally posted by MikkiJayne »
      Can you even get a big enough breaker to handle the CCA of a starter motor?
      I took an A8 apart a while ago, which has the battery in the trunk and that just had a run of 0ga going straight from the battery to the starter. The accessory feed to the rest of the car had a 200A fuse link though.
      I think the 5-series BMW is also unfused, although that has an explosive bolt which disconnects the battery in the event of an accident!

Yep, there are plenty of breakers out there that will work just fine. They aren't too expensive either.

Vehicles
      01-07-2010 03:01 PM #96
      That is a MUST!
      To elaborate what I was saying with the Deka needing 0ga wire:
      The Deka's have had trouble in the past with starting cars when they are relocated so far away from the starter. They don't have the CCA of a normal battery so just something to keep in mind.

yep.. they crank just fine up in the front, but I've seen the smaller ones unable to crack the same car when on the back.
      I think he should be fine, though.

Vehicles
      01-07-2010 06:55 PM #97
      yep.. they crank just fine up in the front, but I've seen the smaller ones unable to crack the same car when on the back.
      I think he should be fine, though.

Thanks for the vote of confidence homie
      Got a little above 70 today, so I took full advantage of the weather. Parts will be going in the oven tomorrow to cure. Hoping to get the head on sometime this weekend.

Vehicles
      '04 RS .:R32 (Cloth), '02 Jetta TDI - R.I.P, '85 Scirocco - gone
      01-07-2010 07:27 PM #98
      good job pu$$y!! ahaha! glad its coming out good for you. looks clean!
      i gotta take some pics of my battery relocation and finish up my "how-to"
      I drive a Chewbaka noise maker. What 'bout you??

WiTW'15
      Need a HFC or test pipe setup? PM me or email me on above!
      ArgonAddict

Vehicles
      93 SLC / 01 Jetta GLX / another project
      01-07-2010 09:38 PM #99

replace all of those wack old fuses with modern ones before the get all brittle on you and you spend two hours diggin out the pieces with needle nose tweezers... ask me how I know
      -Andrew-
      Turbine Mechanic

Vehicles
      01-07-2010 09:43 PM #100
      Quote, originally posted by VR SEX »
      replace all of those wack old fuses with modern ones before the get all brittle on you and you spend two hours diggin out the pieces with needle nose tweezers... ask me how I know

How do you know???

Page 4 of 143 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast