Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Firing Order?????????????????????????????????

1. 01-01-2010 08:00 PM #1
      I have spent the day searching for firing order for my 1999 VR6 Jetta. Seems to be the best kept secret about a VW!

Got a Bently manual, been cover to cover 4 times, no info on firing order and I have searched this site for over 2 hours, nothing!

Well, I get this: "Your search for vr6 firing order returned no results.
      Please try different search criteria or a different data set."

Why is the firing order so well hidden?

I changed the coil pack and can not find my notes on where each wire went from coil to cyclinder.

Does anyone know? Or is this info only available at a dealership?

Thanks...

Modified by roberthil5 at 4:58 PM 1-1-2010

2. 01-01-2010 10:20 PM #2
      Firing Order: 1-5-3-6-2-4

Its in the FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=736260

Google search can sometimes find hard-to-find posts that the regular search can't, I've found.

Here's a crappy pic of the coil pack with wires attached:

3. Member
      01-02-2010 01:13 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by roberthil5 »
      I changed the coil pack and can not find my notes on where each wire went from coil to cyclinder.

The coilpack has the appropriate cylinder number molded into each coil. They're hard to see, but they're there.

Edit: searching the archived threads in this forum for "firing" found 30 threads, including this one. Sometimes it's better to search for fewer terms as the forum's wonderful search function tries to match all terms that you specify.

Modified by Kenji at 9:16 PM 1-1-2010

Kenji

4. 01-05-2010 08:23 PM #4
      I went to the dealership and they told me that the top right terminal on the coil pack was 1, and 2 was below it, 3 next to 1 and 4 was under 3 and 5 was top left where as 6 was below that.

Now, the cylinders (according to page 1-5 of the Bentley manual) are arranged were cylinders 1,3,5 are closest to the firewall, from passenger to driver in order. And the front cylinders from passenger to driver are 2,4,6.

Knowing this layout is critical to understanding what terminal on the pack goes to which cylinder.

I probably did not word my question very well. Firing order means nothing when you don't have documentation on the cylinder layout and you have no documentation on the coil pack. It is not possible to know what wires go where when you know the firing order and nothing else.

I am old school; I worked on round distributors with rotors. If you knew the 1st terminal, then 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 were no brainers. Typically the repair manual gave you the location of terminal 1 as well as the each cylinder number. Very often the firing order would be stamped into the intake manifold.

Now days it is nothing less than a state secret what terminals are what and what on the coil pack and cylinders are which. Once I get this worked out I am going to post the layout in a diagram and make this information available to the public.

This seems like such a fundamental bit of information would be in the Bentley manual..., I mean Bentley even shows the layers of paint on the car and labels them, yet does not mention the coil pack terminals.

They even have a diagram on where to cut the tip off a tube of "gasket in a tube", but the poor ol' coil pack is missing in action!

Thanks for the photo, I am off to try the wires in that order. I already broke one wire end (new wire set coming). I am trying to be a gentle as possible, pulling and twisting straight. These plug wires really pull off the coil hard!

Thanks, Robert

Vehicles
      90 Jetta GL, 91 Corrado G60, 96 Golf GTI, 88 300SE
      01-05-2010 10:30 PM #5
      its hard to pull off because of vacume that happens when wusind di-electric grase which is a good thing ( dont use too much i alost killed my self it would pop off by itself...)
      GL

6. 01-05-2010 11:41 PM #6
      Page 15d-29 shows the cylinder numbers, 1 is the rear passengers side, 2 is the front passengers side, 3 is the rear middle... etc.:

-REAR-
      -FRONT-

Page 28a-18 shows the numbers of the coil connectors:

Looking at the drivers side of coil pack, as installed:

Good luck!

7. 01-06-2010 12:10 AM #7
      It tried to start a couple of times. It has been sitting since July as I had many problems with the transmission installation and other commitments.

I guess I need to find a troubleshooting chart. I ran very good before I pulled the trans. Maybe bad gas or something plugged. It wanted to fire up, but now it just spins real good!

Carbs were so much easier! You always knew right away if you had gas flowing...

Can't wait for electric!

BTW, thanks for the info, I did have 1 and 5 backwards according to your coil layout.

8. 01-06-2010 06:14 AM #8
      if its cranking alright, pickup sum starting fluid.

Vehicles
      Euro Vr6
      01-06-2010 03:18 PM #9
      if you google it or check wikipedia they provide the firing order...MUST HAVE NOT LOOKED HARD ENOUF! lol